Emisar D18 introduction

957 posts / 0 new
Last post
gregor
gregor's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 33 min ago
Joined: 01/09/2015 - 16:35
Posts: 581
Location: Slovenia

Thank you for good news. Cash

Lux-Perpetua
Lux-Perpetua's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 2 min ago
Joined: 03/01/2018 - 04:39
Posts: 1835
Location: Germany, 德国, ドイツ, Германия, जर्मनी

Hank, maybe there’s room for a bit improvement on your website. Is there any way to include the tracking number when your customers log on into their account on Int’l Outdoor and open up their recent purchase order? I always feel bad about bugging you via e-mail just to ask for the tracking number once my order has been shipped. Maybe this could save you a lot of e-mail replies. Wink

Agro
Agro's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 39 min ago
Joined: 05/14/2017 - 11:16
Posts: 5302
Location: Ślōnsk

Hank, there are some important things mentioned separately in this thread. I’d like to bring them together because they are actually so closely related…

High-CRI SST-20 variant tends to polarize people. Some love it and some hate it.
The latter really complains about one thing: the tints tend to be green at low currents. Even very green.
I’ll assume for a while that D18 comes with a driver that regulates current at medium and/or low levels. Just like every Emisar so far.
If that medium/low current is split between 18 emitters – SST-20 is likely to become green. Very green.
That can be solved in multiple ways:

  1. change LED to a less green one
    • there is no real candidate
  2. strive to get least-green tints
    • is it going to work well?
  3. implement a dual channel driver – use only a single LED at low/medium modes (and PWM it from at least 2A)
    • likely a major change
    • hard to get smooth ramp?
  4. don’t regulate current, make a pure FET driver
    • efficiency suffers
  5. mix LEDs of different CCTs
    • tint mixing makes combined output rosier. The wider tint difference the larger the effect
    • since CRI95 SST-20 is available from warmish-neutral to warm – a mix is going to be warm and you won’t be able to offer neutral
    • CRI of a mixed beam is going to be a little lower

I think that the last option is the least problematic one. TK made more detailed proposal. I support it.
And I suggest combining it with #2.

Hank Wang
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 47 min ago
Joined: 10/19/2011 - 10:28
Posts: 377
Location: China

gregor wrote:
Do you know when this FL will go on sale and what will be exact price?
Thank you
Ready for pre-order, ship before the end of March.
https://intl-outdoor.com/emisar-d18-318650-14000lm-flashlight-p-939.html

https://intl-outdoor.com, Noctigon, Emisar, flashlight components.

beastlykings
beastlykings's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 days 4 hours ago
Joined: 12/29/2017 - 17:06
Posts: 193
Location: Michigan, USA

Thanks Hank! Ordered.

hodor
hodor's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 21 min ago
Joined: 07/11/2018 - 03:58
Posts: 584
Location: UK

With Anduril as well! Thumbs Up Beer

Hank Wang
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 47 min ago
Joined: 10/19/2011 - 10:28
Posts: 377
Location: China

Lux-Perpetua wrote:
Hank, maybe there’s room for a bit improvement on your website. Is there any way to include the tracking number when your customers log on into their account on Int’l Outdoor and open up their recent purchase order? I always feel bad about bugging you via e-mail just to ask for the tracking number once my order has been shipped. Maybe this could save you a lot of e-mail replies. Wink
Thanks for your suggestion. The thing is, once the order is marked as shipped, it only means that the package leaves our office, and it will take 2~3 days for the shipper to handle the packages, then the shipper will advise us the real “tracking number” at this time. That means, we do not have the final tracking number when the order is marked as “shipped”, that is why we always need to tell the customers
the tracking number by emails. But yes, we will think of a way to solve this problem.

https://intl-outdoor.com, Noctigon, Emisar, flashlight components.

mihlit
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 8 hours ago
Joined: 11/08/2018 - 04:50
Posts: 168
Location: Czech Republic

Nice Smile
What bins are those leds? FB4 and HB4 or something different?

Hikelite
Offline
Last seen: 5 days 1 hour ago
Joined: 07/13/2011 - 16:18
Posts: 3651
Location: RO

Agro wrote:

  1. mix LEDs of different CCTs
    • tint mixing makes combined output rosier. The wider tint difference the larger the effect
    • since CRI95 SST-20 is available from warmish-neutral to warm – a mix is going to be warm and you won’t be able to offer neutral
    • CRI of a mixed beam is going to be a little lower

I think that the last option is the least problematic one. TK made more detailed proposal. I support it.
And I suggest combining it with #2.

Mix different CCT without voltage matching you suggest? I mean you make a thoughtful suggestion but then omit such an important aspect.
Current goes to the path of least resistance, even if it would not be direct drive, yet it is direct drive, so some LEDs will get more current than others, one has to match the voltage bins for that, which is not as simple as it sounds.
Then how is the beam at short distances, it will be visibly mixed, which for me is unpleasant to see various CCTs.
You are thinking of situations where such mixing is done under like 50-75% frosted domes where you don’t even have a concentrated beam and are heavily diffused with a lot of optical losses.

The Groundsman
Offline
Last seen: 5 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 12/03/2017 - 14:01
Posts: 7
Location: Uk

Ordered sst20 4000k
Can’t wait.

What’s become of the remaining m43’s?

contactcr
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 39 min ago
Joined: 05/19/2017 - 18:52
Posts: 2910
Location: US
Hikelite wrote:
Then how is the beam at short distances, it will be visibly mixed, which for me is unpleasant to see various CCTs. You are thinking of situations where such mixing is done under like 50-75% frosted domes where you don’t even have a concentrated beam and are heavily diffused with a lot of optical losses.

In practice this is not true. Most TIRs (Carclo and Ledil) I have tried mix the colors so well even at 1 meter you could not see various CCT. These individual TIR used in this light may not blend as well but that is yet to be seen.

Hikelite
Offline
Last seen: 5 days 1 hour ago
Joined: 07/13/2011 - 16:18
Posts: 3651
Location: RO
contactcr wrote:
Hikelite wrote:
Then how is the beam at short distances, it will be visibly mixed, which for me is unpleasant to see various CCTs. You are thinking of situations where such mixing is done under like 50-75% frosted domes where you don’t even have a concentrated beam and are heavily diffused with a lot of optical losses.

In practice this is not true. Most TIRs (Carclo and Ledil) I have tried mix the colors so well even at 1 meter you could not see various CCT. These individual TIR used in this light may not blend as well but that is yet to be seen.

Which one of those exact optics have you used?

Pete7874
Pete7874's picture
Online
Last seen: 1 min 4 sec ago
Joined: 11/23/2011 - 16:47
Posts: 2953
Location: USA

Hank Wang wrote:
Ready for pre-order, ship before the end of March.
https://intl-outdoor.com/emisar-d18-318650-14000lm-flashlight-p-939.html

Are the Samsung 30Q cells you are offering on this page button tops?
Tom Tom
Offline
Last seen: 9 months 4 weeks ago
Joined: 09/10/2017 - 08:30
Posts: 1163

Agro, we have been told that this has two banks of 7135. 1 and X14.

Running from the X14 bank, the 18 LEDs should be being PWMed or continuous at about 270 mA each. Or 290 mA if both banks are used, which would be my guess.

Is that not sufficient to allay your concerns ?

Have started saving and will buy, as soon as the 18350 tube is available.

Meanwhile my MF01 (second edition, Nichia, pristine) is available, UK only offers accepted.

DB Custom
DB Custom's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 51 min ago
Joined: 01/13/2013 - 22:28
Posts: 20533
Location: Heart of Texas

I am curious, Tom Tom, which emitter will be your choice in this?

I had the 4000K 95CRI in the cart just moments ago but realized there was no short tube listing yet… also waiting.

contactcr
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 39 min ago
Joined: 05/19/2017 - 18:52
Posts: 2910
Location: US

Carclo 10621 (Luxeon V2 4K and 5K)
Ledil ANNA-40 (LH351D 4K and 5K)
Ledil CUTE-4-M (Luxeon MZ 3000K 5700K)

I will try soon BLF Q8 with LH351D 3K and 5K

DB Custom
DB Custom's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 51 min ago
Joined: 01/13/2013 - 22:28
Posts: 20533
Location: Heart of Texas

Even in a Sofirn C8F with a triple reflector, 3 different tints blend very close to the source. Wink

contactcr
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 39 min ago
Joined: 05/19/2017 - 18:52
Posts: 2910
Location: US

Is that price correct for 3× 30Q’s? $35.80?

Agro
Agro's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 39 min ago
Joined: 05/14/2017 - 11:16
Posts: 5302
Location: Ślōnsk

Tom Tom wrote:
Agro, we have been told that this has two banks of 7135. 1 and X14.

Running from the X14 bank, the 18 LEDs should be being PWMed or continuous at about 270 mA each. Or 290 mA if both banks are used, which would be my guess.

Is that not sufficient to allay your concerns ?


No, by far. Maukka’s test:
http://budgetlightforum.com/node/62195

4A per emitter is great, 2A is fine, less gets worse.
mortuus
mortuus's picture
Offline
Last seen: 40 min 53 sec ago
Joined: 12/16/2014 - 09:33
Posts: 2350
Location: Sweden
contactcr wrote:
Is that price correct for 3× 30Q’s? $35.80?

seems a bit high ,shouldnt cost more then 5-6$ each even if button tops.. ?

...where Frugal meets with Flashlight!

contactcr
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 39 min ago
Joined: 05/19/2017 - 18:52
Posts: 2910
Location: US
Agro wrote:
No, by far. Maukka’s test: http://budgetlightforum.com/node/62195 4A per emitter is great, 2A is fine, less gets worse.

I have a solution! Run ~3A to each emitter and when you ramp up and down it turns on/off one emitter at a time from the inside out in a spiral pattern.

komeko
komeko's picture
Online
Last seen: 11 min ago
Joined: 12/21/2017 - 14:26
Posts: 394
Location: Poland

According to my theoretical calculations, every LED will get 2.6A in turbo. The whole will absorb about 160W. I have a question for Hank, is the weight given on the site with or without packaging, whether with or without batteries?

Click on:        ANSI WHITE

Click on:        MY COLLECTION

Click on:        Q8, D4, D4S, D18, K1, FW3A, SDmini, Mini AAA, TIP, M43, H1, H03, TC20, TN40S, TN42, V6, H600Fw, SC600w, SC64w

JasonWW
JasonWW's picture
Offline
Last seen: 32 min 31 sec ago
Joined: 10/22/2016 - 11:41
Posts: 12116
Location: Houston Texas
contactcr wrote:
Agro wrote:
No, by far. Maukka’s test: http://budgetlightforum.com/node/62195 4A per emitter is great, 2A is fine, less gets worse.

I have a solution! Run ~3A to each emitter and when you ramp up and down it turns on/off one emitter at a time from the inside out in a spiral pattern.


Driver design nightmare. Sick

Texas Ace Lumen Tube and JoshK Sphere calibrated with Maukka lights

Click this to go to signature links.

DB Custom
DB Custom's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 51 min ago
Joined: 01/13/2013 - 22:28
Posts: 20533
Location: Heart of Texas

Not to mention the wiring schematic…

(think in the voice of USS Enterprise Chief Engineer Scotty), “I’ve got her patched together Captain and I’m giving er all she’s got but I don’t know how much longer she’ll hold together!”

A good tint mix would look awesome under a UV though…

contactcr
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 39 min ago
Joined: 05/19/2017 - 18:52
Posts: 2910
Location: US

Ok so we have spiral ramping and down firing UV aux LEDs? awesome. I’ll buy it

Lux-Perpetua
Lux-Perpetua's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 2 min ago
Joined: 03/01/2018 - 04:39
Posts: 1835
Location: Germany, 德国, ドイツ, Германия, जर्मनी

Hank Wang wrote:
Lux-Perpetua wrote:
Hank, maybe there's room for a bit improvement on your website. Is there any way to include the tracking number when your customers log on into their account on Int'l Outdoor and open up their recent purchase order? I always feel bad about bugging you via e-mail just to ask for the tracking number once my order has been shipped. Maybe this could save you a lot of e-mail replies. ;-)
Thanks for your suggestion. The thing is, once the order is marked as shipped, it only means that the package leaves our office, and it will take 2~3 days for the shipper to handle the packages, then the shipper will advise us the real "tracking number" at this time. That means, we do not have the final tracking number when the order is marked as "shipped", that is why we always need to tell the customers
the tracking number by emails. But yes, we will think of a way to solve this problem.

Okay, that makes sense. Thanks for your quick reply. Thumbs Up
I just ordered the D18 with SST-20 5.000K. I can’t wait to get it into my hands. Smile

On a side note: It seems most people on TLF order the khaki sand version.

mattadores
mattadores's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 01/21/2019 - 18:45
Posts: 611
Location: Alberta

Hank,

1- is the $99 usd price a pre-order/early order price only?
2- if so, how long will you be running the $99 price for?
3- what will the regular price be once the $99 price changes?

Crying I needs one but this is also new summer tires month…
BlueSwordM
BlueSwordM's picture
Offline
Last seen: 13 hours 49 min ago
Joined: 11/29/2017 - 12:34
Posts: 5487
Location: Canada

@mattadores, if you do not have the money to buy the light, just don’t Smile

My very own high current Beryllium Copper springs Gen 3:
http://budgetlightforum.com/node/67401
Liitokala Aliexpress Stores Battery Fraud: http://budgetlightforum.com/node/60547

hodor
hodor's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 21 min ago
Joined: 07/11/2018 - 03:58
Posts: 584
Location: UK

mattadores wrote:
Hank,

1- is the $99 usd price a pre-order/early order price only?
2- if so, how long will you be running the $99 price for?
3- what will the regular price be once the $99 price changes?

Crying I needs one but this is also new summer tires month…

I don’t believe he’s ever done pre-order/early order prices so suspect $99 will be the price for a while.

hodor
hodor's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 21 min ago
Joined: 07/11/2018 - 03:58
Posts: 584
Location: UK
Lux-Perpetua wrote:

On a side note: It seems most people on TLF order the khaki sand version.

If I was to order one it would be the khaki sand version. Not because I especially like the colour but more because black is too ubiquitous and having a different colour makes it feel more special and unique.

Pages