Which brand do you think is most durable? Your life depends on it and so does your family.

188 posts / 0 new
Last post

Pages

CREEXHP70LED
CREEXHP70LED's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 29 min ago
Joined: 01/03/2019 - 13:16
Posts: 143
Which brand do you think is most durable? Your life depends on it and so does your family.
Malkoff
8% (6 votes)
Elzetta
3% (2 votes)
Surefire
17% (13 votes)
Other brand
72% (55 votes)
Total votes: 76

20,000 5G satellites and over a million 5G towers on the way covering every square inch of the earth in deadly radiation...

 

 

Edited by: sb56637 on 04/02/2019 - 21:36
Spartan
Offline
Last seen: 51 min 25 sec ago
Joined: 01/12/2019 - 20:50
Posts: 592

None of the above.

Magic word, REDUNDANCY

I carry TWO cheap Thorfire flashlights in the car in case one of them gets the gremlins. If it was possible, I would carry one that had a simple slide switch and put out 500 lumens.

At home, I have about 7 cheap flashlights.

When we get an EMP strike by invading hordes of humanoid tripedal hamsters, the simpler, the better.

Moses came from the mountaintop carrying a tablet. The Words were....WITH GREAT LUMENS COMES GREAT REPONSIBILITY.

moderator007
moderator007's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 5 min ago
Joined: 12/23/2012 - 04:47
Posts: 2794
Location: North Carolina

Zebralight Thumbs Up

Lightbringer
Lightbringer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 56 min ago
Joined: 08/30/2016 - 14:12
Posts: 7703
Location: nyc

On me I usually have 4 lights: MH20 in my pocket, clipped; SP32Av2 on my bag; Jet-II in my bag, A7 (AAA) also in my bag.

I’m kinda ready for the Zombie Apocalypse.

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

mattadores
mattadores's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 1 hour ago
Joined: 01/21/2019 - 18:45
Posts: 500
Location: Alberta

My very first non maglight purchase was a fenix PD25UE. As far as durability goes i watched a YT review where he turned it on, submerged it in a glass of water which he then froze solid and to break the ice off he ran it over with his car. I was impressed

BurningPlayd0h
BurningPlayd0h's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 15 min ago
Joined: 06/22/2018 - 02:16
Posts: 381
Location: MN
mattadores wrote:
My very first non maglight purchase was a fenix PD25UE. As far as durability goes i watched a YT review where he turned it on, submerged it in a glass of water which he then froze solid and to break the ice off he ran it over with his car. I was impressed

None of those things should cause damage to any light that’s at least 1m waterproof. What would matter is if can you drop it a few feet on to the floor and not have electronics pop right off the driver board.

That ice is soaking up all the energy and none is transferred to the components inside the light. I don’t actually know if Fenix uses potted electronics on their larger li-ion lights but I can’t say I’ve heard that they do.

Voting “Other Brand” – PFlexPro ‘

jf_smm
Offline
Last seen: 10 hours 30 min ago
Joined: 05/30/2016 - 12:29
Posts: 473
Location: NorCal

Fenix & Zebra Light – Personally bounced them from heights exceeding stated tolerances and they’re still ticking.

travis
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 14 hours ago
Joined: 03/19/2012 - 23:54
Posts: 930
Location: SoCal

Maybe a potted ArmyTek or Surefire, but don’t really feel qualified in terms of
Familiarity with an array of build quality.

Definitely believe in redundancy!! I normally carry 2 (and sometimes 3) EDC
lights on my person at all times.
The “New York Reload” of flashlights.

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the

right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

toddcshoe
toddcshoe's picture
Online
Last seen: 30 sec ago
Joined: 01/24/2018 - 23:49
Posts: 1740
Location: Foley, MO

I have a few Jetbeams that have taken quite a beating. My Zebralights haven’t really been tested by me yet. They don’t have years of abuse on them yet. I usually carry a Zebralight on me and a Jetbeam in my go bag that stays in the car when I am out and about. I don’t really carry around AA or 16340 lights. Runtimes keep them resigned to light duty “I lost something under the couch” type lights. I have a few potted C8’s that gets mounted on rifles once in a while. They have been through hell and back. Still ticking. Not exactly factory lights though. I mean I guess they once were. Not much factory left in them now. So I guess weapon lights withstanding I would grab my Jet’s and ZL’s if I needed something dependable.

Jack Kellar
Jack Kellar's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 37 min ago
Joined: 03/09/2014 - 14:21
Posts: 1558
Location: Throwing bolts at anomalies

Keeps me safe in my travels Smile

robertsig
Offline
Last seen: 4 days 18 hours ago
Joined: 01/14/2019 - 18:21
Posts: 89
Location: Ohio

Fenix and Surefire.

bikenber73
bikenber73's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 21 hours ago
Joined: 11/12/2011 - 15:09
Posts: 1943
Location: Maryland USA
moderator007 wrote:
Zebralight Thumbs Up

+1

mattadores
mattadores's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 1 hour ago
Joined: 01/21/2019 - 18:45
Posts: 500
Location: Alberta
BurningPlayd0h wrote:
mattadores wrote:
My very first non maglight purchase was a fenix PD25UE. As far as durability goes i watched a YT review where he turned it on, submerged it in a glass of water which he then froze solid and to break the ice off he ran it over with his car. I was impressed

None of those things should cause damage to any light that’s at least 1m waterproof. What would matter is if can you drop it a few feet on to the floor and not have electronics pop right off the driver board.

That ice is soaking up all the energy and none is transferred to the components inside the light. I don’t actually know if Fenix uses potted electronics on their larger li-ion lights but I can’t say I’ve heard that they do.’

Makes sense. But it sure looked cool! lol Facepalm

djozz
djozz's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 2 min ago
Joined: 09/07/2012 - 17:04
Posts: 14753
Location: Amsterdam

I found sloppy assembly work in all flashlights that I have opened, including Nitecore, Jetbeam, Lumintop, Jaxman, Fireflies and more that I forgot.

Most durable is the light that I have overhauled myself: checking all parts and connections, fixing present and possible future flaws, and doing a proper assembly. I trust those fixed Convoys, Jaxmans, Thorfires, Sofirns and some brandless budget lights better than any A-brand that I have not opened to check.

BurningPlayd0h
BurningPlayd0h's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 15 min ago
Joined: 06/22/2018 - 02:16
Posts: 381
Location: MN
mattadores wrote:
BurningPlayd0h wrote:
mattadores wrote:
My very first non maglight purchase was a fenix PD25UE. As far as durability goes i watched a YT review where he turned it on, submerged it in a glass of water which he then froze solid and to break the ice off he ran it over with his car. I was impressed

None of those things should cause damage to any light that’s at least 1m waterproof. What would matter is if can you drop it a few feet on to the floor and not have electronics pop right off the driver board.

That ice is soaking up all the energy and none is transferred to the components inside the light. I don’t actually know if Fenix uses potted electronics on their larger li-ion lights but I can’t say I’ve heard that they do.’

Makes sense. But it sure looked cool! lol Facepalm

The light will still past those tests and I’ve heard good things about Fenix though, just that a lot of brands will too. Didn’t mean to seem like I’m ripping them if that’s how it came across.

Firemedic
Firemedic's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 2 days ago
Joined: 01/04/2019 - 20:39
Posts: 94
Location: Alabama

Zebralight for sure

JakeDjanitor
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 6 days ago
Joined: 10/27/2015 - 09:00
Posts: 904
Location: North East USA

I love my armytek lights, use a wizard daily.

beastlykings
beastlykings's picture
Offline
Last seen: 11 hours 37 min ago
Joined: 12/29/2017 - 17:06
Posts: 160
Location: Michigan, USA

Another vote for redundancy. Stock H03 in the go bag with cr123as, Q8 in the trunk, D1S in the glovebox, modded H03 in my EDC backpack, D4 in my EDC laptop bag, D4 always clipped in my pocket, and a C01 on my keychain. I won’t be without light haha

Scallywag
Scallywag's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 43 min ago
Joined: 01/11/2018 - 22:23
Posts: 164
Location: United States

Zebralight or pflexpro. But if I cared about that aspect enough, I'd build and pot it myself. 

EDC Rotation: ZL SC62 | Jaxman E2L XP-G2 5A | Purple S2+ XPL-HI U6-3A | D4 w/ Luxeon V
"Back-Ups": EagTac D25C Ti | Olight S1
L6 XHP70.2 P2 4000K FET+7135 | Jaxman M8 | MF02 | Blue S2+ w/ ML Special
In-progress: Supfire M6 3xXHP50.2 | Jaxman Z1 White Flat
Others: Nitecore EC23 | Nebo Twyst | Streamlight ProTac 1AA | TerraLux LightStar 100

BlueSwordM
BlueSwordM's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 6 min ago
Joined: 11/29/2017 - 12:34
Posts: 3801
Location: Canada

IMO, I’d say a modded 1× 7135+6×7135 SST-20 Convoy S2+ potted with dual BeCu springs and a simple mechanical switch, and a 3500mAh cell, with lubed high quality O-rings, ULCp AR lens, and smooth reflector.

You would be getting an efficient light in general, no standby drain, good usable throw, very low moonlight for efficiency, very good durability.

An EDC for light IMO if you were able to find a good buck-boost driver for a Convoy S2+.

My very own high current Beryllium Copper springs: http://budgetlightforum.com/node/64047
Liitokala Aliexpress Stores Battery Fraud: http://budgetlightforum.com/node/60547

wstrachan
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 9 hours ago
Joined: 02/19/2016 - 02:30
Posts: 583

Jetbeam. Not the brightest or fanciest but definitely durable

light addict....yeah I've got the bug.

Atrolux MF02_O2S
Imalent DT70
Emissar (All Models)
Lumintop ODL20C
Wuben A21 & T70
thrunite tn32 ut
acebeam k60
many, many others...

CREEXHP70LED
CREEXHP70LED's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 29 min ago
Joined: 01/03/2019 - 13:16
Posts: 143

Spartan wrote:
None of the above.

Magic word, REDUNDANCY

I carry TWO cheap Thorfire flashlights in the car in case one of them gets the gremlins. If it was possible, I would carry one that had a simple slide switch and put out 500 lumens.

At home, I have about 7 cheap flashlights.

When we get an EMP strike by invading hordes of humanoid tripedal hamsters, the simpler, the better.

Make your home or at least one room a Faraday cage.

20,000 5G satellites and over a million 5G towers on the way covering every square inch of the earth in deadly radiation...

 

 

CREEXHP70LED
CREEXHP70LED's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 29 min ago
Joined: 01/03/2019 - 13:16
Posts: 143

I am realizing now that posting this on a budget light forum, I am getting what I asked for.

20,000 5G satellites and over a million 5G towers on the way covering every square inch of the earth in deadly radiation...

 

 

Jack Kellar
Jack Kellar's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 37 min ago
Joined: 03/09/2014 - 14:21
Posts: 1558
Location: Throwing bolts at anomalies

CREEXHP70LED wrote:
Spartan wrote:
None of the above.

Magic word, REDUNDANCY

I carry TWO cheap Thorfire flashlights in the car in case one of them gets the gremlins. If it was possible, I would carry one that had a simple slide switch and put out 500 lumens.

At home, I have about 7 cheap flashlights.

When we get an EMP strike by invading hordes of humanoid tripedal hamsters, the simpler, the better.

Make your home or at least one room a Faraday cage.

Now that’s a suggestion I can get behind. If you’re going in, go the whole nine yards.

CREEXHP70LED wrote:
I am realizing now that posting this on a budget light forum, I am getting what I asked for.

Hope you’re happy Silly

wle
wle's picture
Offline
Last seen: 13 hours 18 min ago
Joined: 01/07/2015 - 13:49
Posts: 1060
Location: atlanta ga

uh, i usually have 20 or 30 other lights on deck or in the bullpen-at least at home
also in about 3 alternate locations – bedside, kitchen, downstairs

if in the car, 2 more

if on foot or bike, i have bike light, or bike light plus photon keychain light

one thing i might not do is depend on rechargeables that do not get used much
some of my car and home lights are either li primaries, or C cell, or AA, something like that

now you have to ask about b atteries — what batteries WOULD YOU TRUST YOUR LIFE TO????
Smile
i have about 25 backups there too

wle

wle
wle's picture
Offline
Last seen: 13 hours 18 min ago
Joined: 01/07/2015 - 13:49
Posts: 1060
Location: atlanta ga

i;d probably say thorfire, i don;t have $100 lights like zebralights
the thorfires are good for their price

also i have a wuben t70 26650 that seems pretty solid
folomov

just saying some cheap ones that i think will last

unlike
dqg
manker
utorch

wle

Tally-ho
Tally-ho's picture
Offline
Last seen: 24 min 29 sec ago
Joined: 07/23/2011 - 04:15
Posts: 867
Location: France

More parts and more electronics = more failures. If your life depends on light, it’s not a matter of brand but more a matter of diversity : don’t put all your eggs in the same basket.
Driver & LED, incandescent bulb, carbide lamp, kerosene lamp or oil lamp, candle, etc.

mgracia85
mgracia85's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 53 min ago
Joined: 12/01/2017 - 18:35
Posts: 162
Location: East Texas

Fenix, I’ve had a Fenix PD35 has a daily carry at work for a few years now, been dropped more than a few times. Still going strong!

I love my wife’s toy poodle

pinkpanda3310
pinkpanda3310's picture
Offline
Last seen: 21 hours 9 min ago
Joined: 12/28/2013 - 08:45
Posts: 1885
Location: Perth

Myself and my family have never been in a life threatening situation that could be eliminated by having a torch. Like, has SOS mode ever saved anyone? On the occasion we go camping or have a blackout 1 light just won’t cut it. I’m not going to have a dozen surefires or elzettas on hand for that.

peg matite
peg matite's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 5 min ago
Joined: 01/02/2019 - 17:47
Posts: 95
Location: EOK

Zebralight.

Also feel pretty good about BLF Q8. Straightforward and stout.

ClaudeMBallz
ClaudeMBallz's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 3 days ago
Joined: 05/09/2017 - 14:46
Posts: 19
Location: USofA

Voted “other”. Convoy or MagLite. Simple & reliable in my experience.

John 3:16

Pages

Topic locked