Best pocket 18650 thrower?

58 posts / 0 new
Last post
Yokiamy
Yokiamy's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 33 min ago
Joined: 10/18/2016 - 15:47
Posts: 1475
Location: Netherlands

Pocket throwers, Emisar D1s of GT mini.

Edited by: sb56637

Yoordie
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 1 week ago
Joined: 12/09/2018 - 11:21
Posts: 33
Macka17 wrote:
Yoordie. Get some “wrangler” jeans. then you can wear in comfort AND carry a C8+ or several other torches in there with room to spare.

I’m fine with my jeans Smile

Yoordie
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 1 week ago
Joined: 12/09/2018 - 11:21
Posts: 33

toddcshoe wrote:
I’d just grab the Convoy M2 with XP-L Hi in it. Has the biscotti driver already installed and a nice throwy emitter and SMO reflector. Pick your tint and shine on my friend.

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/Convoy-M1-Cree-XPL-HI-LED-DTP-plate-7135-8-biscotti-smooth-reflector/330416_32958113158.html?spm=2114.12010612.8148356.35.234d6d6cK8ol4N

I was already thinking about buying this one, but it is a little bit thicker. I’ll look up some reviews.

robo819
robo819's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 days 16 hours ago
Joined: 03/10/2015 - 21:20
Posts: 1828
Location: Deep East TX

Something I have not seen mentioned , that to me is a great little thrower for the size (310 meters ANSI rated and 2100 lumens) and also serves as a headlamp / EDC (comes with a clip as well as headband) is the Thrunite TH10 V2. It is a single 18650 with XHP 35 HI emitter and smooth reflector.

My full review with charts , beamshots and live outdoor comparisons ….. HERE

Click any link to see MY REVIEWS:

Maxtoch M24 Sniper / Maxtoch 2X Shooter (2016 factory dedomed) , 2X - XHP 70.2 / Maxtoch Xsword / M1 Archer *** ### ThruNite // Archer 2A V3 / Ti4T / TN4A HI / TH10 / TH20 / C2 Mini / TC12 V2 / T01 /  , neutron 2C V3 , TC20 / Catapult V6 / TC15 / *** ###  Olight // H2R Nova , S10R III / S30R III / H1 Nova / H1 R Nova / X7 Marauder , PL Mini ,  M2R warrior //// Orca T11 / Nitecore EC20 / BLF A6 / Custom Convoy C8 / Lixada Triple 3800LM / Lixada 1000LM / LuxStone X30 / Manker E02 / Manker E14 II /  ### Thorfire /// PF03PF04 , Upgraded PF04 , C8 , S-50 ,  VG-10 , VG25 , C8s , BL30 , TK4A  , S1 , VG15 S  , TK 18 //// ##WowTac// A4 , A1 (original) , A2 headlamp , A3 //// Acebeam L16 /// Massdrop (Lumintop) Brass EDC

Yoordie
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 1 week ago
Joined: 12/09/2018 - 11:21
Posts: 33

Tumbleweed48 wrote:
Anytime somebody says ‘best’ I cringe a little, but ‘very good’ at a very affordable price would be a standard S2 Convoy with an inexpensive smooth reflector and an XP-L Hi emitter in the flavour of your choice.

Pot it well with some of those squishy little cubes from Intl-Outdoors, drive it at a humble 3 amps or so, and you’ll see it everything you need to see this side of an actual foot long, two pound light sabre.

Slightly better, a bit more bullet proof (but a bit less pocketable), might be a hot-rodded Solarforce P60.

Bottom line? Everyone’s ‘best’ is different, and subject to a whole lot of variables.

The best one for my use case. Everyone has got their opinion and their favorite ofc.

Yoordie
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 1 week ago
Joined: 12/09/2018 - 11:21
Posts: 33

robo819 wrote:
Something I have not seen mentioned , that to me is a great little thrower for the size (310 meters ANSI rated and 2100 lumens) and also serves as a headlamp / EDC (comes with a clip as well as headband) is the Thrunite TH10 V2. It is a single 18650 with XHP 35 HI emitter and smooth reflector.

My full review with charts , beamshots and live outdoor comparisons ….. HERE

21700 is fine but I don’t like an emitter on the side.

Geuzzz
Geuzzz's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 10 min ago
Joined: 10/25/2015 - 10:27
Posts: 1008
Location: Netherlands

In unmodded tube format definitely the mh20gt.

Yoordie
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 1 week ago
Joined: 12/09/2018 - 11:21
Posts: 33

Lightbringer wrote:
MH20GT? One of the smallest 18650 lights I got, only slightly wider reflector than most tubelights, but emphasis is on throw even vs the regular MH20 (“GT” = “Greater Throw”).

If you don’t want a big-head light like a GTmini or P30, the MH20GT might suit ya.

But value wise I think the convoy m2 will be better. How does it compare to the m2 and s2+(+).

Yoordie
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 1 week ago
Joined: 12/09/2018 - 11:21
Posts: 33

Yoordie wrote:
Lightbringer wrote:
MH20GT? One of the smallest 18650 lights I got, only slightly wider reflector than most tubelights, but emphasis is on throw even vs the regular MH20 (“GT” = “Greater Throw”).

If you don’t want a big-head light like a GTmini or P30, the MH20GT might suit ya.

But value wise I think the convoy m2 will be better. How does it compare to the m2 and s2+(+).

And what about the sofirn sf36w

4492011
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 16 hours ago
Joined: 01/23/2019 - 19:39
Posts: 133
Location: USA Michigan

Yoordie wrote:
Yoordie wrote:
Lightbringer wrote:
MH20GT? One of the smallest 18650 lights I got, only slightly wider reflector than most tubelights, but emphasis is on throw even vs the regular MH20 (“GT” = “Greater Throw”).

If you don’t want a big-head light like a GTmini or P30, the MH20GT might suit ya.

But value wise I think the convoy m2 will be better. How does it compare to the m2 and s2+(+).

And what about the sofirn sf36w


It is the same size as the Convoy M2 different emitter, the M2 will have a better throw with the XPL-HI also has a little deeper reflector great light, head is larger than S2+
Yoordie
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 1 week ago
Joined: 12/09/2018 - 11:21
Posts: 33

4492011 wrote:
Yoordie wrote:
Yoordie wrote:
Lightbringer wrote:
MH20GT? One of the smallest 18650 lights I got, only slightly wider reflector than most tubelights, but emphasis is on throw even vs the regular MH20 (“GT” = “Greater Throw”).

If you don’t want a big-head light like a GTmini or P30, the MH20GT might suit ya.

But value wise I think the convoy m2 will be better. How does it compare to the m2 and s2+(+).

And what about the sofirn sf36w


It is the same size as the Convoy M2 different emitter, the M2 will have a better throw with the XPL-HI also has a little deeper reflector great light, head is larger than S2+

I did some test and I think about 25 mm really is my limit when it comes to the thickness.

4492011
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 16 hours ago
Joined: 01/23/2019 - 19:39
Posts: 133
Location: USA Michigan

Yoordie wrote:
4492011 wrote:
Yoordie wrote:
Yoordie wrote:
Lightbringer wrote:
MH20GT? One of the smallest 18650 lights I got, only slightly wider reflector than most tubelights, but emphasis is on throw even vs the regular MH20 (“GT” = “Greater Throw”).

If you don’t want a big-head light like a GTmini or P30, the MH20GT might suit ya.

But value wise I think the convoy m2 will be better. How does it compare to the m2 and s2+(+).

And what about the sofirn sf36w


It is the same size as the Convoy M2 different emitter, the M2 will have a better throw with the XPL-HI also has a little deeper reflector great light, head is larger than S2+

I did some test and I think about 25 mm really is my limit when it comes to the thickness.


The M2 is about 31mm, for 25mm better stick with the tube lights like S2+
Yoordie
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 1 week ago
Joined: 12/09/2018 - 11:21
Posts: 33

4492011 wrote:
Yoordie wrote:
4492011 wrote:
Yoordie wrote:
Yoordie wrote:
Lightbringer wrote:
MH20GT? One of the smallest 18650 lights I got, only slightly wider reflector than most tubelights, but emphasis is on throw even vs the regular MH20 (“GT” = “Greater Throw”).

If you don’t want a big-head light like a GTmini or P30, the MH20GT might suit ya.

But value wise I think the convoy m2 will be better. How does it compare to the m2 and s2+(+).

And what about the sofirn sf36w


It is the same size as the Convoy M2 different emitter, the M2 will have a better throw with the XPL-HI also has a little deeper reflector great light, head is larger than S2+

I did some test and I think about 25 mm really is my limit when it comes to the thickness.


The M2 is about 31mm, for 25mm better stick with the tube lights like S2+

Yeah, I was just looking up the dimensions. Tube light are the way to go.

AllecMn
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 03/24/2019 - 17:45
Posts: 4

Yoordie, “Which is the best? Do you have any other suggestions for a different flashlight?”

Here is a photo review for Convoy C8+ – https://forum.guns.ru/forummessage/234/2356363-0.html
You don’t need a text, see only photos and I hope that will help you.
Price history for this item https://www.pricearchive.org/aliexpress.com/item/826040641. The price is very stable.

No signature

ValuseekeR
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 21 hours ago
Joined: 12/01/2012 - 13:18
Posts: 225
Location: USA

I’ve dithered around on this topic myself for a while, but haven’t bought anything new yet.

GT Mini, Emisar D1s, Thrunite Catapult V6, C8+ and other Convoys, various Sofirns, etc… All look like nice lights, but I’m not sure any of them would get more use than the S2+ (I have 3,) especially in terms of being pocketable.

I do already have a couple of Sofirn SF36’s. Fantastic budgets lights for the price I paid and fairly throwy, but even those are a little bulky for a pants pocket.

Also have the ss BLF X6, which is a gorgeous light, but mainly a shelf queen. A lot of that is the weight, which is why I keep thinking about another compact thrower, but I haven’t been completely sold on anything to this point.

So if you were looking for an unhelpful ramble, there you go. Smile

Yoordie
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 1 week ago
Joined: 12/09/2018 - 11:21
Posts: 33

ValuseekeR wrote:
I’ve dithered around on this topic myself for a while, but haven’t bought anything new yet.

GT Mini, Emisar D1s, Thrunite Catapult V6, C8+ and other Convoys, various Sofirns, etc… All look like nice lights, but I’m not sure any of them would get more use than the S2+ (I have 3,) especially in terms of being pocketable.

I do already have a couple of Sofirn SF36’s. Fantastic budgets lights for the price I paid and fairly throwy, but even those are a little bulky for a pants pocket.

Also have the ss BLF X6, which is a gorgeous light, but mainly a shelf queen. A lot of that is the weight, which is why I keep thinking about another compact thrower, but I haven’t been completely sold on anything to this point.

So if you were looking for an unhelpful ramble, there you go. Smile

I know where you’re coming from mate Smile

Edit: typo

Yoordie
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 1 week ago
Joined: 12/09/2018 - 11:21
Posts: 33
d_t_a wrote:

These beamshots are taken at a ground distance of around 120 meters (flashlight to opposite building), diagonal distance estimated to be around 150 meters or so (400+ feet).


 


Sofirn SP31 v2.0 (XPL-Hi)


 


Convoy S2 (XPL-Hi 3A neutral-white, 7135×8) [note: this is the S2 with deeper reflector, not S2+]


 


Convoy S2+ (XPL-Hi 4C warm-white, 7135×8)


 


Convoy S2+ (SST20 4000K, warm-white, 7135×8)

They look very similar.

gchart
gchart's picture
Offline
Last seen: 10 hours 9 min ago
Joined: 03/19/2016 - 11:57
Posts: 1618
Location: Central IL

Yoordie wrote:
I did some test and I think about 25 mm really is my limit when it comes to the thickness.

25mm is squarely tube-light territory. Nitecore P12GT is a nice but pricy option (a thinner sibling of the MH20GT). I’m working on a review of the Sofirn SP31 V2.0 – a tube light with XP-L HI. It seems to be a great light so far… smaller than the P12GT, much cheaper, and has 90% of the throw of the P12GT (I measured 17,900 vs 20,150 lux).
d_t_a
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 13 min ago
Joined: 08/04/2017 - 23:58
Posts: 1226
Location: Manila, Philippines
Yoordie wrote:
d_t_a wrote:

These beamshots are taken at a ground distance of around 120 meters (flashlight to opposite building), diagonal distance estimated to be around 150 meters or so (400+ feet).


 


Sofirn SP31 v2.0 (XPL-Hi)


 


Convoy S2 (XPL-Hi 3A neutral-white, 7135×8) [note: this is the S2 with deeper reflector, not S2+]


 


Convoy S2+ (XPL-Hi 4C warm-white, 7135×8)


 


Convoy S2+ (SST20 4000K, warm-white, 7135×8)

They look very similar.

From afar, basically the differences are not big, considering they have similar-sized reflector/heads. The Sofirn SP31v2.0 is a bit brighter (confirmed when I use a basic lux meter and do a ceiling bounce test at the same distance).

For instance, using a fully-charge battery, and doing the same ceiling bounce tests, I get these lux readings:
Sofirn SP31 v2.0 (XPL-Hi) : 115 lux
Convoy S2+ XPL-Hi NW (7135×8) : 90 lux
Convoy S2+ SST20-4000K (7135×8) : 60 lux (lux readings when on max brightness, at the start)

Boaz
Boaz's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 49 min ago
Joined: 11/07/2010 - 09:31
Posts: 7030
Location: Birthplace of Aviation

I would have guess that the Sofirn sp31 was brighter than the convoy s2+'s too . I was surprised to hear people saying otherwise .The Sp31 is simply a great tube light,nice tint, with a forward clicky on the tail , side switch,bright as hell and works great with an18350 tube and tail magnet to make it a very small very versatile pocket light for about $20 it's hard as hell to beat .

 i'm not sure why the OP is having so much difficulty deciding over which tube light to buy  if indeed he's willing to spend upwards of 100$  why not just buy 3 of the most recommended and see what you like ? IMHO lights are much more about how it feels in your hand or cri/tint than just output .After years and years of playing with lights it's still very hard to know anything without actually having a light in your hands . it becomes easier but as a noob there's no way for you to know until you try something .

 Listen to some good advice .and go with what you like the looks of .be prepared to be wrong .rinse ,lather ,repeat.

Tube lights imho are some of the easiest lights to enjoy ,one of my an N-light L2 .i'm not sure I know anyone else who has one .Ak-47 driver nichia 219A swap Nitecore d-10 clip .< best pocket 18650 tube light I know 

       καὶ τὸ φῶς ἐν τῇ σκοτίᾳ φαίνει καὶ ἡ σκοτία αὐτὸ οὐ κατέλαβεν

                                  https://www.gty.org/

 

    Still selling diffuser film  >…  http://budgetlightforum.com/node/42208

Dougiestyle
Dougiestyle's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 58 min ago
Joined: 01/06/2019 - 08:35
Posts: 48
Location: Knoxville, TN USA

Form factor of S2, but has better throw… BLF A6. All other suggestions have been different form factor and are rebutted by OP with “S2”, so here we go…

A6 w/ XPL (can be de-domed with novice skills to make it XPL-HI). Add a Carclo 10507 or 10511 TIR optic to aid beam with novice skills while the bezel is off to de-dome. 30min of effort if you stop mid-way to go have a beer.

I’m a BLF newbie, too, but already infected with modumust syndrome.

Adhara
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 42 min ago
Joined: 05/17/2018 - 01:57
Posts: 177
Location: Usa

Weltool W3. Easily pocketable, even more so with its shorty 18350 tube, Will beat the crap out of anything mentioned here so far for throw.
Acewbeam W10 is a 21700 alternative to the W3.

Yoordie
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 1 week ago
Joined: 12/09/2018 - 11:21
Posts: 33
Quote:
i’m not sure why the OP is having so much difficulty deciding over which tube light to buy if indeed he’s willing to spend upwards of 100$ why not just buy 3 of the most recommended and see what you like ?

I bought the Sofirn SP31V2.0 and the Convoy S2+ SST20 because is couldn’t decide what to buy. It’s just in my nature to doubt.

Quote:
Form factor of S2, but has better throw… BLF A6. All other suggestions have been different form factor and are rebutted by OP with “S2”, so here we go A6 w/XPL

I’m overwhelmed by the options available and the S2 is hard to beat value wise. I’m a newbie but definitely going to try some modding in the near future.

Much love to all the people posting comments❤️

Ryzbor
Ryzbor's picture
Offline
Last seen: 20 min 16 sec ago
Joined: 01/21/2018 - 10:52
Posts: 201
Location: Poland

Maybe a Convoy S6/S2 with the 1mm^2 Osram „Flath White” driven at 4A with the led4power driver? This should give rougly 40Kcd and will definitely be pocketable.

good tint: Nichia E21A 2000K-7500K except d240 bin, Nichia 219B sw40/sw45, 219C sw303, Cree XPL-HI A/D bins, XHP70.2 5A, Samsung shaved LH351D's, SST-20 FD2, FA3, HA3, .

WalkIntoTheLight
Offline
Last seen: 13 hours 43 min ago
Joined: 12/05/2015 - 10:26
Posts: 1830
Location: Canada

My favourite 18650 pocket-thrower is the Zebralight SC600w MkIV HI.

Very small, so it is indeed a pocket light. Puts out about 20,000 candella on 1100 or 1200 lumens. (Specs claim 1400 lumens, but they’re not right because they copied the same specs for the non-HI version.)

Anyway, it does throw very nice for such a small light. Also has a large enough hot spot to be useful for closer range too. IMO, it’s the best general-purpose outdoor light I have. I like a little throw for hand-held outdoor lights.

For even smaller, I use the Zebralight SC64w HI. It uses the same XHP35 HI emitter as the 600w HI light, but it’s a much smaller reflector so I consider it more floody than throwy.

zaxar0580
zaxar0580's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 days 3 hours ago
Joined: 02/17/2019 - 15:59
Posts: 31
Location: RU
Boaz wrote:

I would have guess that the Sofirn sp31 was brighter than the convoy s2+‘s too . I was surprised to hear people saying otherwise .The Sp31 is simply a great tube light,nice tint, with a forward clicky on the tail , side switch,bright as hell and works great with an18350 tube and tail magnet to make it a very small very versatile pocket light for about $20 it’s hard as hell to beat .


 i’m not sure why the OP is having so much difficulty deciding over which tube light to buy  if indeed he’s willing to spend upwards of 100$  why not just buy 3 of the most recommended and see what you like ? IMHO lights are much more about how it feels in your hand or cri/tint than just output .After years and years of playing with lights it’s still very hard to know anything without actually having a light in your hands . it becomes easier but as a noob there’s no way for you to know until you try something .


 Listen to some good advice .and go with what you like the looks of .be prepared to be wrong .rinse ,lather ,repeat.


Tube lights imho are some of the easiest lights to enjoy ,one of my an N-light L2 .i’m not sure I know anyone else who has one .Ak-47 driver nichia 219A swap Nitecore d-10 clip .< best pocket 18650 tube light I know 

Tell me, what is the short tube 18350 suitable for Sofirn SP31 V2.0?

abbazaba
abbazaba's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 4 days ago
Joined: 03/13/2017 - 13:34
Posts: 28

No mention of the Jaxman M8? Tons of throw for ~$20.

Pages