4/11/19 Important UPDATE! Cree XHP50.2 Three Volt!! Convoy C8+ 3000 Lumen

31 posts / 0 new
Last post
vestureofblood
vestureofblood's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 days 21 hours ago
Joined: 08/17/2012 - 15:21
Posts: 1729
Location: Missouri
4/11/19 Important UPDATE! Cree XHP50.2 Three Volt!! Convoy C8+ 3000 Lumen

EDIT: Important update. On 4/5/19 the output and CD (range) testing I did were flawed. The battery in my light meter was very low and I did not catch it until now. This caused the readings I took to be significantly off. After changing the battery in the meter, double checking calibration and retesting the lights I am posting the updated lumen outputs below. I do not have updated CD testing at this time, however because of the meter issue it is likely that those readings were high also. I am unable to change the title or original description in my Ebay Auction listist for the lights, but I added this information to the “edit” section. I greatly apologize for the mistake and any inconvenience this has caused.

Light…………….Mistake Lumens………….Revised Lumens…………………..%Out of wack
Factory C8+…………………….998…………………………….818………………………………19.80%
C8+ Mosfet……………………1688…………………………..1216………………………………32.50%
50.2 Mosfet……………………3441…………………………..2991………………………………11.00%
50.2 Mos dedome…………..2943……………………………2581……………………………..13.10%

Again I am very sorry for any confusion or trouble this has caused!

Matt

Hi all,
.
.

The awesomeness of an XHP50.2 is now available in 3 volt, so I thought I’d build out a few lights. This LED is amazing!


.
.
What would you like to see this emitter in?

In Him (Jesus Christ) was life; and the life was the light of men. And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.
http://asflashlights.com/ Everyday Carry Flashlights, plus Upgrades for Maglite.

Edited by: vestureofblood on 04/11/2019 - 13:44
HONDARIDER
HONDARIDER's picture
Online
Last seen: 11 min 36 sec ago
Joined: 04/22/2018 - 11:45
Posts: 665
Location: Hot Springs, Arkansas

Do you have any other tail switch recommendations that will work for a longer life span? A drop in type.

Agro
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 43 min ago
Joined: 05/14/2017 - 11:16
Posts: 3808
Location: Ślōnsk

I’d like to see it in some small lights, all the way down to 10180. Smile

sp5it
sp5it's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 22 min ago
Joined: 12/25/2012 - 07:51
Posts: 766
Location: Poland

What is a driver used? MCPCB?
Thx,
Mike

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that. George Carlin

 Anyone offended by my signature please fill Complaint Form. Thank you.

-X3-
-X3-'s picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 53 min ago
Joined: 07/16/2014 - 03:28
Posts: 2565
Location: France, Angers

Agro wrote:
I’d like to see it in some small lights, all the way down to 10180. Smile

Well, this LED is justified when you reach 8+ Amps… So it doesn’t really make sense.
If you want a 10180 hotrod light, an SST40 is enough

"-X3-, is there any place in your house without a flashlight ?" 

My Flashlight public album (mods, emitter swaps, eye candy)

My reviews channel (French language, Olight, Thorfire, Sofirn, Lumintop : 60+ lights tested)

My personal channel (including Olight SR mini, S1, S2, S1A and S-mini disassembly)

M4DM4X blog, saves you $$$ 

RapidLux
RapidLux's picture
Offline
Last seen: 56 min 36 sec ago
Joined: 03/24/2017 - 13:21
Posts: 157

I would love to see XHP 70.2 in Convoy S11.

sac02
sac02's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 28 min ago
Joined: 09/26/2016 - 15:18
Posts: 749
Location: TX

RapidLux wrote:
I would love to see XHP 70.2 in Convoy S11.

I would love to see XHP 70.2 in 3V versions
contactcr
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 25 min ago
Joined: 05/19/2017 - 18:52
Posts: 1530
Location: US
HONDARIDER wrote:
Do you have any other tail switch recommendations that will work for a longer life span? A drop in type.

http://www.mtnelectronics.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=25_83...

If you want a true drop in no soldering required then get the above. It’s basically the same thing but it has a genuine Omten switch (a non-convoy C8 clone may not) and it’s bypassed already so no spring problems.

Agro
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 43 min ago
Joined: 05/14/2017 - 11:16
Posts: 3808
Location: Ślōnsk

X3 wrote:
Agro wrote:
I’d like to see it in some small lights, all the way down to 10180. Smile

Well, this LED is justified when you reach 8+ Amps… So it doesn’t really make sense.
If you want a 10180 hotrod light, an SST40 is enough

Nah, lower Vf of XHP50.2 will overdrive the cell more resulting in significantly more power. From djozz SST-40 has 3V at 2A while XHP50.2 has 3V at 4A (calculated down from 6V).
A tad higher efficacy won’t hurt either. At 1A SST-40 does about 500 lm while XHP50.2 about 550.
wolfdog1226
wolfdog1226's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 26 min ago
Joined: 10/09/2013 - 20:47
Posts: 2051
Location: Acquasanta,Italia/ Valley Forge, Pa. USA

Excellent,Evolving,Educational,Entertaining and Enjoyable! Thumbs UpBig SmileCool

Solitude breeds contemplation which creates clarity. 

Environment molds a person. Perseverance changes them. 

                                                                   WOLFDOG 

Dougiestyle
Dougiestyle's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 1 min ago
Joined: 01/06/2019 - 08:35
Posts: 27
Location: Knoxville, TN USA

I have some on the way from Cutter to go in an S2+.

nkresho
nkresho's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 26 min ago
Joined: 11/26/2017 - 20:36
Posts: 214
Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA

s2+ needs some current limiting to be “useful”, IMHO. Way too hot, way too quick. It’s similar to a triple XPL build, fet driven, in the same host.

Not that I say don’t do it, i’m not taking mine apart, but… I promptly put it in the box next to my triple s2+ and triple s6, which never get used.

AlexGT
AlexGT's picture
Offline
Last seen: 47 min 46 sec ago
Joined: 06/07/2012 - 17:39
Posts: 4189
Location: Texas

Nice mod, thanks for sharing, I wonder how would that look on the new FT03…

HONDARIDER
HONDARIDER's picture
Online
Last seen: 11 min 36 sec ago
Joined: 04/22/2018 - 11:45
Posts: 665
Location: Hot Springs, Arkansas
contactcr wrote:
HONDARIDER wrote:
Do you have any other tail switch recommendations that will work for a longer life span? A drop in type.

http://www.mtnelectronics.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=25_83...

If you want a true drop in no soldering required then get the above. It’s basically the same thing but it has a genuine Omten switch (a non-convoy C8 clone may not) and it’s bypassed already so no spring problems.

Do you have a recomendation that requires assembly that would be better?

contactcr
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 25 min ago
Joined: 05/19/2017 - 18:52
Posts: 1530
Location: US

Not really. Myself and other modders use Omten switches bypassed at high current often without much trouble.

cabfrank
Offline
Last seen: 33 min 58 sec ago
Joined: 11/19/2010 - 17:25
Posts: 2623
Location: healdsburg, california usa earth

I really want one in an Eagle Eye X6 host, but I know it would get very hot.

vestureofblood
vestureofblood's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 days 21 hours ago
Joined: 08/17/2012 - 15:21
Posts: 1729
Location: Missouri
HONDARIDER wrote:
contactcr wrote:
HONDARIDER wrote:
Do you have any other tail switch recommendations that will work for a longer life span? A drop in type.

http://www.mtnelectronics.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=25_83...

If you want a true drop in no soldering required then get the above. It’s basically the same thing but it has a genuine Omten switch (a non-convoy C8 clone may not) and it’s bypassed already so no spring problems.

Do you have a recomendation that requires assembly that would be better?

You can put high current over those switches for a while(not sure if genuine otman es better than factory c8+ or not), and the bypass does help (keeps the spring from loosing is stretch). Most of the time when your running this light it would not be at 13.5 amps, and when it was, only in short bursts. So if your not depending on that light for life or death it might be worth a shot. I don’t know of a better “easy” switch option this small. Making a switch out of a Judco like DellSuperman does for surefire would be the closest thing I can think of. http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?414150-Batch-5-Open-J...

In Him (Jesus Christ) was life; and the life was the light of men. And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.
http://asflashlights.com/ Everyday Carry Flashlights, plus Upgrades for Maglite.

HONDARIDER
HONDARIDER's picture
Online
Last seen: 11 min 36 sec ago
Joined: 04/22/2018 - 11:45
Posts: 665
Location: Hot Springs, Arkansas
vestureofblood wrote:
HONDARIDER wrote:
contactcr wrote:
HONDARIDER wrote:
Do you have any other tail switch recommendations that will work for a longer life span? A drop in type.

http://www.mtnelectronics.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=25_83...

If you want a true drop in no soldering required then get the above. It’s basically the same thing but it has a genuine Omten switch (a non-convoy C8 clone may not) and it’s bypassed already so no spring problems.

Do you have a recomendation that requires assembly that would be better?

You can put high current over those switches for a while(not sure if genuine otman es better than factory c8+ or not), and the bypass does help (keeps the spring from loosing is stretch). Most of the time when your running this light it would not be at 13.5 amps, and when it was, only in short bursts. So if your not depending on that light for life or death it might be worth a shot. I don’t know of a better “easy” switch option this small. Making a switch out of a Judco like DellSuperman does for surefire would be the closest thing I can think of. http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?414150-Batch-5-Open-J...

I have some springs from BlueSwordM that I could put on it. May handle the current for a little longer. Your right, I wouldn’t be running this on high too often. So it should be ok.

BlueSwordM
BlueSwordM's picture
Online
Last seen: 11 min 40 sec ago
Joined: 11/29/2017 - 12:34
Posts: 3851
Location: Canada

The springs are not the limiting factor here, but the switch.
Even if you were to put dual BeCu springs on the PCB, the

You could try and bypass the switch itself with some 24/22AWG wire, but you would lose selection outside of turning the tailcap.

That’s the only other way, other than building a FET switch.

My very own high current Beryllium Copper springs: http://budgetlightforum.com/node/64047
Liitokala Aliexpress Stores Battery Fraud: http://budgetlightforum.com/node/60547

contactcr
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 25 min ago
Joined: 05/19/2017 - 18:52
Posts: 1530
Location: US

One thing to be careful of when u swap the spring is getting the switch too hot. It will melt if u heat the board too much.

You can desolder the switch before if you want to be extra careful or put metal clips on the switch legs to soak some heat

nquinn
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 20 hours ago
Joined: 09/11/2017 - 21:55
Posts: 236
Location: DC

Hmm interesting, I never had must interest in the XHP50 before because it seemed inefficient.

How does this new 3v XHP50.2 compare to say an equivalent XP-L2?

BlueSwordM
BlueSwordM's picture
Online
Last seen: 11 min 40 sec ago
Joined: 11/29/2017 - 12:34
Posts: 3851
Location: Canada

It’s basically 4x XP-G3s on a single substrate.

So it’s about equivalent to 2x-3x very high binned XP-L2s.

Seems like they aren’t using very highly binned XP-G3s though.

Seems like it’s the XHP70.2 getting all the good dies.

My very own high current Beryllium Copper springs: http://budgetlightforum.com/node/64047
Liitokala Aliexpress Stores Battery Fraud: http://budgetlightforum.com/node/60547

Lightbringer
Lightbringer's picture
Online
Last seen: 11 min 22 sec ago
Joined: 08/30/2016 - 14:12
Posts: 7723
Location: nyc

Nice, but I so want one of those switches!

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

CRX
CRX's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 26 min ago
Joined: 04/02/2013 - 15:27
Posts: 3384
Location: Scotland

Need to figure a way to make it click on.

nquinn
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 20 hours ago
Joined: 09/11/2017 - 21:55
Posts: 236
Location: DC

BlueSwordM wrote:
It’s basically 4x XP-G3s on a single substrate.

So it’s about equivalent to 2x-3x very high binned XP-L2s.

Seems like they aren’t using very highly binned XP-G3s though.

Seems like it’s the XHP70.2 getting all the good dies.

Impressive. What’s the main downside (if any?) compared to the XP-L2 or G2 then? Less efficient?

BlueSwordM
BlueSwordM's picture
Online
Last seen: 11 min 40 sec ago
Joined: 11/29/2017 - 12:34
Posts: 3851
Location: Canada

Well:

1. Basically a smaller XP-L2.
2. Compared to the XP-G2, it has less throw/lumen.
3. Tint is disgusting, with a rainbow beam.

My very own high current Beryllium Copper springs: http://budgetlightforum.com/node/64047
Liitokala Aliexpress Stores Battery Fraud: http://budgetlightforum.com/node/60547

LarryLumens
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 39 min ago
Joined: 02/21/2019 - 10:27
Posts: 43
Location: USA

Does anyone know how many lumens the new Convoy C8+ with SST40 is pushing? It is as bright as my Sofirn C8f but flood vs throw can trick the eye.
This one: https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32989670019.html?spm=a2g0n.store-products....

Give me thrower or give me pizza.

Hugh Johnson
Hugh Johnson's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 1 hour ago
Joined: 01/16/2017 - 19:03
Posts: 271
Location: New Brighton

Impressive. I think my favourite is the 50.2 dome on.

Dougiestyle
Dougiestyle's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 1 min ago
Joined: 01/06/2019 - 08:35
Posts: 27
Location: Knoxville, TN USA

nkresho wrote:
s2+ needs some current limiting to be “useful”, IMHO. Way too hot, way too quick. It’s similar to a triple XPL build, fet driven, in the same host.

Not that I say don’t do it, i’m not taking mine apart, but… I promptly put it in the box next to my triple s2+ and triple s6, which never get used.


My EDC is an A6 18350 triple XPL lol. I wasn’t expecting triple the heat of a triple XPL from a single XHP 50.2, though!

I use my flashlights for quick sweeps of less than an acre and looks into small dark spots. With my diagnosed (wife sez so) modumust syndrome, this new affliction, erm, hobby may get me some new foul glances and eye rolls!

Lothar
Lothar's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 15 min ago
Joined: 10/26/2011 - 11:22
Posts: 470
Location: Stellenbosch, South Africa

vestureofblood wrote:
What would you like to see this emitter in?

I would actually want to see the different between a XHP50.2, XPL HI, XPL2, Flat White, all in a GTmini.
vestureofblood
vestureofblood's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 days 21 hours ago
Joined: 08/17/2012 - 15:21
Posts: 1729
Location: Missouri

EDIT: Important update. On 4/5/19 the output and CD (range) testing I did were flawed. The battery in my light meter was very low and I did not catch it until now. This caused the readings I took to be significantly off. After changing the battery in the meter, double checking calibration and retesting the lights I am posting the updated lumen outputs below. I do not have updated CD testing at this time, however because of the meter issue it is likely that those readings were high also. I am unable to change the title or original description in my Ebay Auction listist for the lights, but I added this information to the “edit” section. I greatly apologize for the mistake and any inconvenience this has caused.

Light…………….Mistake Lumens………….Revised Lumens…………………..%Out of wack
Factory C8+…………………….998…………………………….818………………………………19.80%
C8+ Mosfet……………………1688…………………………..1216………………………………32.50%
50.2 Mosfet……………………3441…………………………..2991………………………………11.00%
50.2 Mos dedome…………..2943……………………………2581……………………………..13.10%

Again I am very sorry for any confusion or trouble this has caused!

Matt

In Him (Jesus Christ) was life; and the life was the light of men. And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.
http://asflashlights.com/ Everyday Carry Flashlights, plus Upgrades for Maglite.