[Interest & Feasibility Check] Sofirn SP10S "BLF edition" with Andúril

713 posts / 0 new
Last post
jon_slider
jon_slider's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 33 min ago
Joined: 09/08/2015 - 12:20
Posts: 3465
Location: The Land of Enchantment

Scallywag wrote:
this entire thread is about development of a driver that would accept both 14500 and AA.

that is not my impression
every time the AA portion of the conversation surfaces, I find it is set aside in favor of LiIon only

IF this thread produces an AA capable Anduril light, I will be interested, but so far, I have not seen any indication of that happening. I hope it does.

calipsoii
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 12 hours ago
Joined: 03/23/2015 - 11:25
Posts: 18

jon_slider wrote:
Scallywag wrote:
this entire thread is about development of a driver that would accept both 14500 and AA.

that is not my impression
every time the AA portion of the conversation surfaces, I find it is set aside in favor of LiIon only

IF this thread produces an AA capable Anduril light, I will be interested, but so far, I have not seen any indication of that happening. I hope it does.

You seem very deeply interested and yet also highly cynical about this project, jon_slider. You could always hire an electrical engineer and have them build a board perfectly to your specifications. Wink

Sirstinky
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 26 min ago
Joined: 11/02/2018 - 17:07
Posts: 735
Location: Vancouver, WA

jon_slider wrote:
Scallywag wrote:
this entire thread is about development of a driver that would accept both 14500 and AA.

that is not my impression
every time the AA portion of the conversation surfaces, I find it is set aside in favor of LiIon only

IF this thread produces an AA capable Anduril light, I will be interested, but so far, I have not seen any indication of that happening. I hope it does.

I second that. I’d like to see a 1.5/4.2v capable driver for AA/14500 and Andruil. The electrics needed for that are complex though and I get it if they don’t want to redesign a board from the ground up to make that happen. That adds cost and complexity. It’s just so easy to do 4.2v only and call it good. Plus higher performance. Most of us would use it with lithium ion anyway.

Zappaman
Zappaman's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 15 min ago
Joined: 01/01/2018 - 23:27
Posts: 501
Location: Kansas

Bingo Thumbs Up

This post has been around the block about 30 times. Just make the damn 14500 version and we can have it in a few weeks- according to Barry it won’t take long. I’ll buy several on the spot if so. Besides, just like those who went from D cells to 18650s, there are the “hanger-on’ers”… the AA crowd who can stick to their guns for another six months until MAYBE they can figure a 1.2V version of Anduril into this thing. But the SC31 Pro is proving the small Anduril light is in demand… and it’s just a matter of WHO will do it first in the 14500 form factor.

ZappaMan

Lightbringer
Lightbringer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 56 min 32 sec ago
Joined: 08/30/2016 - 14:12
Posts: 12134
Location: nyc

I’m not saying there aren’t any, but all the dual-fuel lights I know have screwed-up mode-spacing for one chemistry vs another.

Eg, my Xeno E03 has kinda nice spacing with alkaleak/NiMH, low is actually low, and high is just meh, but spacing is rather nice. With Li-ion, everything’s just brighter. Flick through H/M/L, and it’s like 100%/80%/60%, everything just pushed higher.

Low-volt chemistry needs a boost converter to feed the LED, but with Li-ion it’s linear or a buck converter. So scaling/matching levels for both chemistries will almost always suck. At least PWMing either a FET or 7135s stays proportional, but that does not translate well to a different controller (ie, boost circuit) running in parallel.

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

nightwalker
nightwalker's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 8 min ago
Joined: 07/20/2020 - 13:52
Posts: 29
Location: Washington, DC

I expressed interest in this about a month ago. Since then the SC31 Pro has been released. I very nearly ordered one, but I’m going to wait to see if other emitters are offered. I mention this here because the recent discussion has been about the necessity of AA Anduril support. I hope this (AA support) happens and I hope it isn’t just an afterthought on a 14500 driver, as Lightbringer implied could be the case. And as Zappaman eluded to, scaling Anduril to a smaller LiIon form factor isn’t groundbreaking, shouldn’t be all that difficult, and I think will happen sooner or later (and, to be fair, he did say he’d buy several).

But having a tiny flashlight with tons of features that runs on boring old AA (or, imagine, AAA!) single battery, that would be unexpected and novel.

From my perspective I can put this a different way:
SP10S BLF Anduril 14500, I may buy one for myself because it’s small and special.
SP10S BLF Anduril AA (and 14500), I may buy one for each of my family members, friends, friend’s children, etc. with no concern about needing to educate them regarding loose LiIon handling / care. And definitely buy one for me.

Attempting to build a Convoy of Convoys.

Zappaman
Zappaman's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 15 min ago
Joined: 01/01/2018 - 23:27
Posts: 501
Location: Kansas
Quote:
Since then the SC31 Pro has been released. I very nearly ordered one, but I’m going to wait to see if other emitters are offered

And I ordered three, have two, and I’m waiting on # three with the 5k emitter. But the price is a bit steep compared to the SC31B and for the few extra bucks I’ll be buying IF25a’s for a Sofirn EDC type light with Anduril.

Quote:
But having a tiny flashlight with tons of features that runs on boring old AA (or, imagine, AAA!) single battery, that would be unexpected and novel.

But… I’ll NOT be buying them if the cost of developing a good cross/chemical driver takes the price much more than a few bucks over the standard model.

Again, novel new designs are cool and I’ll support them to a degree, but when they make no sense to manufacture given the market’s price expectations, Sofirn maybe can’t do both AA and Anduril given the extra cost of doing so maybe can’t be recovered in the marketplace.

And… as we near 500 posts on this topic, perhaps the writing is on the wall already.

ZappaMan

raccoon city
raccoon city's picture
Offline
Last seen: 15 min 42 sec ago
Joined: 10/06/2010 - 02:35
Posts: 14489
Location: रॅकून सिटी Palm Desert CA USA

Zappaman wrote:

And... as we near 500 posts on this topic, perhaps the writing is on the wall already.

You mean 700, right?

Unheard
Online
Last seen: 11 min 8 sec ago
Joined: 01/16/2019 - 11:38
Posts: 1126
Location: Germany

Lightbringer wrote:
I’m not saying there aren’t any, but all the dual-fuel lights I know have screwed-up mode-spacing for one chemistry vs another.

Wubens E05 is an exception. Modes are the same, just turbo is missing when running AA/NiMH. There’s at least another one but I don’t remember which one it was.
Sari33
Offline
Last seen: 31 min 14 sec ago
Joined: 07/17/2019 - 05:43
Posts: 230
Location: EU

Sure it’s a nice small light,
I hope the design will be correct, smoother without sharp edges and pineapple knurling
would be more elegant and pleasant to handle.
Same thing for the others tube style models.

samyy
Offline
Last seen: 5 days 8 hours ago
Joined: 02/19/2018 - 14:06
Posts: 96
Location: PlanetEarth
Unheard wrote:
Lightbringer wrote:
I’m not saying there aren’t any, but all the dual-fuel lights I know have screwed-up mode-spacing for one chemistry vs another.
Wubens E05 is an exception. Modes are the same, just turbo is missing when running AA/NiMH. There’s at least another one but I don’t remember which one it was.

Olight S1A

MascaratumB
MascaratumB's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 25 min ago
Joined: 10/29/2016 - 12:12
Posts: 5426
Location: Portugal
samyy wrote:
Unheard wrote:
Lightbringer wrote:
I’m not saying there aren’t any, but all the dual-fuel lights I know have screwed-up mode-spacing for one chemistry vs another.
Wubens E05 is an exception. Modes are the same, just turbo is missing when running AA/NiMH. There’s at least another one but I don’t remember which one it was.

Olight S1A


The Manker E11 doesn’t suffer from those mode spacing differences, but on AA alkalines or Ni-MH it will surely drop in output on the higher levels.

I am still in for when this project sees the daylight Wink
Meanwhile I may try to mode one of my SP10 lights to take an Anduril driver, if I make the mod well Big Smile

[REVIEWS] ACEBEAM: H20 / TK16 // AMUTORCH: S3 / S3 vs 219c / AM30 / AX1 / VG10 // BLITZWOLF: BW-ET1 // BRINYTE: T28 / PT18pro / PT28 // DQG: AA Slim Ti // FIREFLIES: ROT66 GEN II // HC-LIGHTS: SS AAA // KLARUS: XT1C // LIVARNOLUX: 314791 // LUMINTOP: Tool AA V2.0 + Tool 25 // NITEFOX: UT20 / ES10K / K3 // ODEPRO: KL52 / B108 // OLIGHT: M2R Warrior // ON THE ROAD: M1 / i3 / M3 Pro / 311 / Z821 / i5 // ROVYVON: A2 + A5R / E300S / A8 / A23 / E200u // SKILHUNT: M150 / M200 // SOFIRN: SF14 + SP10A / SP32A / SP10B // WUBEN: TO10R / E05 / T70 / E10 / TO50R / E19 / E12R // XTAR: PB2 Charger // Mods: 1 / 2 // TIR: 1 / 2 // Others: Biscotti 3 + 1*7135 / Triple TIR w/ XP-G2 /// My Collection /// My Review's Blog (PT) /// OL Contest 2019 /// GIVEAWAY: 1 / 2

Unloco
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 8 min ago
Joined: 01/27/2018 - 16:17
Posts: 431
nightwalker wrote:
… SP10S BLF Anduril AA (and 14500), I may buy one for each of my family members, friends, friend’s children, etc. with no concern about needing to educate them regarding loose LiIon handling / care. And definitely buy one for me.

+1

I would buy several even if it is only for AA (alkaline or NiMH).

If it was only 14500, I didn’t buy any, not even for myself, because it is almost impossible for any seller to send li-ion to my country. And if they are obtained in my country, they are of poor quality and are very old.

jp9mm
Offline
Last seen: 57 min 12 sec ago
Joined: 03/30/2020 - 12:14
Posts: 187

At this point it should make sense just to release the li ion version while they continue to do ???? with the AA version.
Whats the minimum run 1000’s pieces? How many runs would sell out before the AA version is ready? Beer

nightwalker
nightwalker's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 8 min ago
Joined: 07/20/2020 - 13:52
Posts: 29
Location: Washington, DC
jp9mm wrote:
At this point it should make sense just to release the li ion version while they continue to do ???? with the AA version. Whats the minimum run 1000’s pieces? How many runs would sell out before the AA version is ready? Beer

For speculation purposes only, I’d say it might make sense to split them out into two projects, but certainly not my call. My post earlier was simply meant to show support for AA and not allow this thread to be dominated by “AA is hopeless” discussion. Honestly, I’m surprised a 14500 size with Anduril hasn’t been done already (by any friendly manufacturer).

I have several 18650 lights. Some smaller than others. They all step down or get too hot at some point. In my mind, going smaller to 14500 would just make that problem even worse – and the flashlight less useful as an actual light source and not just as a toy. I have nothing against 14500 in general for those that want an ever-smaller hotrod light. As I said, I’d probably still buy one.

But I’d gift AA all day long. Christmas is coming!

Attempting to build a Convoy of Convoys.

BT100
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 39 min ago
Joined: 03/26/2017 - 13:23
Posts: 116
Location: AZ USA

Just go ahead and make the liion only version. For those that want AA lights there are plenty of those at home despot.

iamlucky13
Online
Last seen: 6 min 7 sec ago
Joined: 06/22/2018 - 09:18
Posts: 844
Location: USA
Unheard wrote:
Lightbringer wrote:
I’m not saying there aren’t any, but all the dual-fuel lights I know have screwed-up mode-spacing for one chemistry vs another.
Wubens E05 is an exception. Modes are the same, just turbo is missing when running AA/NiMH. There’s at least another one but I don’t remember which one it was.

The Thrunite Archer 1a maintains the same moonlight, low, and medium on both chemistries. On AA, high is only slightly brighter than medium. On 14500, high is a true high. I think it’s a reasonable compromise.

Scallywag
Scallywag's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 18 min ago
Joined: 01/11/2018 - 22:23
Posts: 1449
Location: Ohio, United States
MascaratumB wrote:
samyy wrote:
Unheard wrote:
Lightbringer wrote:
I’m not saying there aren’t any, but all the dual-fuel lights I know have screwed-up mode-spacing for one chemistry vs another.
Wubens E05 is an exception. Modes are the same, just turbo is missing when running AA/NiMH. There’s at least another one but I don’t remember which one it was.

Olight S1A


The Manker E11 doesn’t suffer from those mode spacing differences, but on AA alkalines or Ni-MH it will surely drop in output on the higher levels.

I am still in for when this project sees the daylight Wink
Meanwhile I may try to mode one of my SP10 lights to take an Anduril driver, if I make the mod well Big Smile


iamlucky13 wrote:
The Thrunite Archer 1a maintains the same moonlight, low, and medium on both chemistries. On AA, high is only slightly brighter than medium. On 14500, high is a true high. I think it’s a reasonable compromise.

My DQG Slim AA seems to have basically the same 3 modes with Alkaline/NiMh/LiIon – at least to the naked eye.

Old Lumens Contest 2020 - Hand-made light category

ZL SC62(w) | Jaxman E2L XP-G2 5A | Purple S2+ XPL-HI U6-3A | D4 w/ Luxeon V | RRT-01 | Purple FW3A, 4000K SST20 | Baton S1
Boruit D10 w/ Quadrupel Fet+1/Anduril | EagTac D25C Ti | DQG Slim AA Ti | Jaxman E3 | UF-T1 by CRX | Olight S15 Ti | Nitecore EX11.2
L6 XHP70.2 P2 4000K FET+7135 | Jaxman M8 | MF02 | Jaxman Z1 CULNM1.TG | Blue S2+ w/ ML Special | Thrunite T10Tv2
Supfire M6 3xXHP50.2, Sofirn C8F, Unfinished: Sofirn SP70, IYP07/Tool AAA hot-rods, Jetbeam E3S
Others: Nitecore EC23 | Nebo Twyst | Streamlight ProTac 1AA | TerraLux LightStar 100

McCatface
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 37 min ago
Joined: 01/16/2017 - 05:23
Posts: 44
Location: NL

If Sofirn just changes the UI of SP10S from hold to off, to click to on/off and hold to ramp/switch modes, this would be a perfect AA and gift light.

nobody
Offline
Last seen: 3 days 5 hours ago
Joined: 01/12/2019 - 04:58
Posts: 331
Location: In the dark

McCatface wrote:
If Sofirn just changes the UI of SP10S from hold to off, to click to on/off and hold to ramp/switch modes, this would be a perfect AA and gift light.

 

That would be perfect. 

Lux-Perpetua
Lux-Perpetua's picture
Offline
Last seen: 27 min 26 sec ago
Joined: 03/01/2018 - 04:39
Posts: 2325
Location: Germany, 德国, ドイツ, Германия, जर्मनी

Sofirn SP10R will be working this way, i.e. click to turn on/off, hold to cycle modes.

Luminous and wired, we'll be glowing in the dark.

longuylander
longuylander's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 58 min ago
Joined: 10/09/2019 - 05:02
Posts: 140
Location: Long Island

Don’t forget hold from off to access moonlight.

Pages