Where to find 5000K 90+ CRI COBs or LEDs?

24 posts / 0 new
Last post
Joshk
Joshk's picture
Offline
Last seen: 28 min 13 sec ago
Joined: 09/09/2015 - 12:12
Posts: 1546
Location: USA
Where to find 5000K 90+ CRI COBs or LEDs?

I need to build or buy one of these triples in 5000K with 90+ CRI for picture taking. I have one in 4000K 90 CRI already, but that’s not good enough. Thanks for any help.

Edited by: Joshk on 06/05/2019 - 15:56
staticx57
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 59 min ago
Joined: 04/11/2016 - 00:43
Posts: 667
Location: New Jersey, United States
zak.wilson
Online
Last seen: 1 min 37 sec ago
Joined: 09/29/2014 - 14:27
Posts: 846

You might get better results with 5000K LH351Ds for that application. They have a bit more even tint and typically aren’t as green as 5000K 219Cs. They also have higher output, but less throw. They’re available (with free overnight shipping) from Arrow

You’ll need to reflow a triple board yourself though, as they don’t come mounted.

Ceilingbounce – flashlight testing and runtime graphs for Android

Chatika vas Paus
Online
Last seen: 1 min 33 sec ago
Joined: 09/03/2017 - 13:46
Posts: 519

You can find them on intl outdoor
https://intl-outdoor.com/led-nichia-c-107_140.html

staticx57 wrote:
https://www.virence.com/shop

They are not available and they will not be there anymore.

Joshk
Joshk's picture
Offline
Last seen: 28 min 13 sec ago
Joined: 09/09/2015 - 12:12
Posts: 1546
Location: USA

Chatika vas Paus wrote:
You can find them on intl outdoor
https://intl-outdoor.com/led-nichia-c-107_140.html
staticx57 wrote:
https://www.virence.com/shop

They are not available and they will not be there anymore.

Hmm Virence has lots of choices, but i’m afraid I don’t understand my options very well. I am using a variable power supply and a CPU heatsink. So voltage and cooling are no limitation. I just need lots of brightness, 5000K, ultra great CRI, and no hot-spot. That’s all Big Smile

Joshk
Joshk's picture
Offline
Last seen: 28 min 13 sec ago
Joined: 09/09/2015 - 12:12
Posts: 1546
Location: USA

zak.wilson wrote:
You might get better results with 5000K LH351Ds for that application. They have a bit more even tint and typically aren’t as green as 5000K 219Cs. They also have higher output, but less throw. They’re available (with free overnight shipping) from Arrow

You’ll need to reflow a triple board yourself though, as they don’t come mounted.

I can sure reflow. Do they make triple or quad boards for that footprint?

BlueSwordM
BlueSwordM's picture
Offline
Last seen: 26 min 10 sec ago
Joined: 11/29/2017 - 12:34
Posts: 5347
Location: Canada

They are the same footprint as the Nichia 219C.

If you really need no hotspot:
https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/bridgelux/BXRC-50G2000-C-24/97...

My very own high current Beryllium Copper springs Gen 3:
http://budgetlightforum.com/node/67401
Liitokala Aliexpress Stores Battery Fraud: http://budgetlightforum.com/node/60547

Joshk
Joshk's picture
Offline
Last seen: 28 min 13 sec ago
Joined: 09/09/2015 - 12:12
Posts: 1546
Location: USA

These have awesome specs including CRI R9.
https://www.virence.com/product-page/nvswe21at >> sm503-D240-M1-R9080

I’m not sure if triple or quad stars exist though.

Tally-ho
Tally-ho's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 19 min ago
Joined: 07/23/2011 - 04:15
Posts: 1278
Location: France
Joshk wrote:
I’m not sure if triple or quad stars exist though.
Not yet but Clemence said :
Quote:
The triple and some new MCPCBs project will be there as planned, but only after I finished with the big project.
Joshk
Joshk's picture
Offline
Last seen: 28 min 13 sec ago
Joined: 09/09/2015 - 12:12
Posts: 1546
Location: USA
Tally-ho wrote:
Joshk wrote:
I’m not sure if triple or quad stars exist though.
Not yet but Clemence said :
Quote:
The triple and some new MCPCBs project will be there as planned, but only after I finished with the big project.

Ooh, I think they exist here: https://www.virence.com/product-page/vr16sp4 but they are out of stock at the moment.

Tally-ho
Tally-ho's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 19 min ago
Joined: 07/23/2011 - 04:15
Posts: 1278
Location: France

Yes that is the quad E21A arranged like a quad core emitter (e.g. : Cree XHP-35) which you can use with an OP reflector ot TIR optic. There is also a quad Optisolis for Carclo Quad (106xx series).
But about four months ago I asked Clemence if he would willing to make a triple and/or quad E21A for Carclo Triple and/or Carclo Quad. He is going to make this triple, but only when he will finish his city big project.

iamlucky13
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 52 min ago
Joined: 06/22/2018 - 09:18
Posts: 584
Location: USA

How much output do you want?

If you want really high output on a budget and can go bit above 5000K, a member has 5700K, 100W COB’s for sale here:

http://budgetlightforum.com/node/66369

$16.50 shipped price for ~10,000 lumens that Maukka has verified at roughly 95 CRI and high R9. You will need at least a 30V power supply. Optic choices will be limited, but it can be used as a pure flood source, or with barn doors.

100W might be a bit beyond the reasonable heat shedding capacity of the standard Intel stock cooler.

It will have a slight green tint, similar to typical LH351D or Nichia 219C emitters. White balance should be able to take care of that in most situations.

If you want something that can be used with a readily available optic such as a Carclo triple or quad, the LH351D is probably the best price option.

Joshk
Joshk's picture
Offline
Last seen: 28 min 13 sec ago
Joined: 09/09/2015 - 12:12
Posts: 1546
Location: USA
Tally-ho wrote:
Yes that is the quad E21A arranged like a quad core emitter (e.g. : Cree XHP-35) which you can use with an OP reflector ot TIR optic. There is also a quad Optisolis for Carclo Quad (106xx series). But about four months ago I asked Clemence if he would willing to make a triple and/or quad E21A for Carclo Triple and/or Carclo Quad. He is going to make this triple, but only when he will finish his city big project.

I believe the XHP-35 produces a bit of a beam even when used in open air, and I have never seen them reveal their CRI R9 rating, so that’s always a bad sign. Maybe someone knows better than me?

Joshk
Joshk's picture
Offline
Last seen: 28 min 13 sec ago
Joined: 09/09/2015 - 12:12
Posts: 1546
Location: USA

iamlucky13 wrote:
How much output do you want?

If you want really high output on a budget and can go bit above 5000K, a member has 5700K, 100W COB’s for sale here:

http://budgetlightforum.com/node/66369

$16.50 shipped price for ~10,000 lumens that Maukka has verified at roughly 95 CRI and high R9. You will need at least a 30V power supply. Optic choices will be limited, but it can be used as a pure flood source, or with barn doors.

100W might be a bit beyond the reasonable heat shedding capacity of the standard Intel stock cooler.

It will have a slight green tint, similar to typical LH351D or Nichia 219C emitters. White balance should be able to take care of that in most situations.

If you want something that can be used with a readily available optic such as a Carclo triple or quad, the LH351D is probably the best price option.

COBs are probably a good option for me. But man does that one need voltage. My portable supply maxes out at 20v and my wall supply maxes at 30v.

Joshk
Joshk's picture
Offline
Last seen: 28 min 13 sec ago
Joined: 09/09/2015 - 12:12
Posts: 1546
Location: USA

Lens compatibility has been mentioned a few times.. Don’t worry about that at all, I plan to use it indoors and naked… The emitter that is Silly

The reason for the 5000K requirement is that I need to match the room lights.

Joshk
Joshk's picture
Offline
Last seen: 28 min 13 sec ago
Joined: 09/09/2015 - 12:12
Posts: 1546
Location: USA

Right now, I think the best suggestion is 4 of
https://www.virence.com/product-page/nvswe21at >> sm503-D240-M1-R9080
on a
https://www.virence.com/product-page/vr21sp4

How many lumen are we talking with that setup? 2000?

Joshk
Joshk's picture
Offline
Last seen: 28 min 13 sec ago
Joined: 09/09/2015 - 12:12
Posts: 1546
Location: USA

Alright, I just ordered from Virence.

Joshk
Joshk's picture
Offline
Last seen: 28 min 13 sec ago
Joined: 09/09/2015 - 12:12
Posts: 1546
Location: USA

That COB in post 12 is still tempting me Silly What would I need to buy to power a 33v COB like that one?

BlueSwordM
BlueSwordM's picture
Offline
Last seen: 26 min 10 sec ago
Joined: 11/29/2017 - 12:34
Posts: 5347
Location: Canada

My very own high current Beryllium Copper springs Gen 3:
http://budgetlightforum.com/node/67401
Liitokala Aliexpress Stores Battery Fraud: http://budgetlightforum.com/node/60547

Joshk
Joshk's picture
Offline
Last seen: 28 min 13 sec ago
Joined: 09/09/2015 - 12:12
Posts: 1546
Location: USA

Thanks

Joshk
Joshk's picture
Offline
Last seen: 28 min 13 sec ago
Joined: 09/09/2015 - 12:12
Posts: 1546
Location: USA

I got my LEDs today and I’m happy! I thought I’d share an update and a photo for anyone interested.
The order shipped on day 9 and arrived on day 21 (today).

The packaging was especially interesting, he went all out and used a piece of plywood to make a custom box! I was super happy to see that. I also took this picture of the box using one of the assemblies as the scene lighting. It looks great Big Smile
A big thanks to Clemence for a smooth transaction. (www.virence.com)

iamlucky13
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 52 min ago
Joined: 06/22/2018 - 09:18
Posts: 584
Location: USA

Quick tip: the phosphor coating on the E21A had been found by many users to be very brittle. Try to avoid touching the yellow, especially with anything hard.

I hope you have fun with your project! I’m keenly interested in trying an E21A build at some point, too.

Joshk
Joshk's picture
Offline
Last seen: 28 min 13 sec ago
Joined: 09/09/2015 - 12:12
Posts: 1546
Location: USA

Thanks.
The idea is to use this light to create a glisten on shiny objects. This bright point-source is just what I wanted.

Joshk
Joshk's picture
Offline
Last seen: 28 min 13 sec ago
Joined: 09/09/2015 - 12:12
Posts: 1546
Location: USA

So I finished this E21 build tonight and took it out back. I was shocked how blue my wife’s cucumber plant was under the E21 5000k light. I dug up a Nichia 219b 4000k tripple and tried that, and voila, it looked like a healthy plant again. I tried to capture two pictures to discuss on BLF, but when I did that the results both looked decent and about the same! The difference in CCT doesn’t account for this in my mind.
I assume this is a case of TLCI matching, but CRI not?
Idk. Thoughts?