Test/review of Vapcell INR14500 650mAh (Blue)

25 posts / 0 new
Last post
HKJ
HKJ's picture
Offline
Last seen: 24 min 11 sec ago
Joined: 05/24/2011 - 12:23
Posts: 6973
Location: Copenhagen, Denmark
Test/review of Vapcell INR14500 650mAh (Blue)

Vapcell INR14500 650mAh (Blue)
DSC_7967
Official specifications:


  • Model: INR14500 650mah 7A button top
  • Size: 14.0*49.0mm
  • Nominal voltage: 3.60V
  • End-of-charge voltage: 4.20V
  • End-of-discharge Voltage: 2.5V
  • Typical Capacity: 650mAh (0.2C discharge)
  • Min capacity: 600mAh (0.2C discharge)
  • Weight: Max:22g
  • Internal resistance: Max:25mOhm AC 1kHz
  • Standard Charge: 500mA,CCCV 100mA cut-off
  • Charging Time: 2.5hours(standard charge)
  • Quick Charge Current:1000mA
  • Max Continuous Discharge Current: 7000mA

Vapcell%20INR14500%20650mAh%20(Blue)-info
AA sized LiIon batteries from Vapcell.
DSC_7965 DSC_7966
DSC_7968 DSC_7969
DSC_7970
DSC_7971
DSC_7972
Vapcell%20INR14500%20650mAh%20(Blue)-Capacity
The two batteries matches fairly well and it can easily deliver the rated 7A.
Vapcell%20INR14500%20650mAh%20(Blue)-Temp-7.0
Vapcell%20INR14500%20650mAh%20(Blue)-Temp-10.0
Vapcell%20INR14500%20650mAh%20(Blue)-CapacityTimeHours
Vapcell%20INR14500%20650mAh%20(Blue)-CapacityTime
Vapcell%20INR14500%20650mAh%20(Blue)-Energy
Vapcell%20INR14500%20650mAh%20(Blue)-PowerLoadTime
Vapcell%20INR14500%20650mAh%20(Blue)-TripCurrent
Vapcell%20INR14500%20650mAh%20(Blue)-Charge
Vapcell%20INR14500%20650mAh%20%28Blue%29-Pulse-0.5A-10-10-2.8V-IR
Internal resistance calculated during discharge by pulsing 0.5A on and off.
Conclusion
These batteries are not the highest capacity around, but they can deliver a lot of current for a 14500 cell.
Notes and links
The batteries was supplied by Vapcell for review.
How is the test done and how to read the charts
How is a protected LiIon battery constructed
More about button top and flat top batteries
Graphical comparison to other LiIon batteries
Table with all tested LiIon batteries

My website with reviews of many chargers and batteries (More than 1000): https://lygte-info.dk/

Agro
Agro's picture
Online
Last seen: 45 sec ago
Joined: 05/14/2017 - 11:16
Posts: 4761
Location: Ślōnsk

Now that’s something that makes 14500 lights interesting. Smile

DavidEF
DavidEF's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 33 min ago
Joined: 06/05/2014 - 06:00
Posts: 7674
Location: Salisbury, North Carolina, USA

Agro wrote:
Now that’s something that makes 14500 lights interesting. Smile

Agreed! Crown Thumbs Up

EDIT: Just looked at these compared to the Efest Purple from 2017 in the comparator. The 2017 Efest Purples still beat this new cell, but it’s close. Wink

The Cycle of Goodness: “No one prospers without rendering benefit to others”
- The YKK Philosophy

Henk4U2
Henk4U2's picture
Online
Last seen: 10 min 25 sec ago
Joined: 02/13/2014 - 17:52
Posts: 2950
Location: The heart of the Netherlands (GMT+1)

Thanks for your review.
But for the moment I’m not kissing my IMR14500 Windyfires goodbye.

You are a flashaholic if you are forced to come out of the closet, to make room for more flashlights.

Agro
Agro's picture
Online
Last seen: 45 sec ago
Joined: 05/14/2017 - 11:16
Posts: 4761
Location: Ślōnsk

At low currents Efests are better. But they collapse at 10A.
Vapcell and Enercig EC-14500HP survive even this kind of current. Vapcell holds higher voltage while doing so (but ends up with less capacity).

IR? Vapcell 9 mOhm, Enercig 11 mOhm, Efest 13 mOhm. Smile

Superstocker
Superstocker's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 37 min ago
Joined: 11/28/2018 - 21:22
Posts: 120
Location: United States, Virginia

Thanks HKJ!

toobadorz
toobadorz's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 17 hours ago
Joined: 01/10/2017 - 09:04
Posts: 136

China li-ion cell manufacturers used to show higher variances in their products. HIBATT IMR 14500 700mAh, Shockli IMR 14500 660mAh, Efest IMR 14500 650mAh, and this Vapcell INR14500 650mAh, they all seem to be the same cell from the same manufacturer. Their performance, however, vary from batch to batch, the differences you see among them are because of different grades and/or cell inconsistency within a batch.


But they are still the best high-drain 14500 you can find. Among these choices, Shockli and Vapcell seem to be the only two that offer a native (NOT welded) button-top version of this cell.


In the beginning, Vapcell only sold the flat-top version of this 14500, and unfortunately the batch they got at that moment was poor (I did buy 16 pieces and tested them), the performance was noticeably worse than all the other choices. I’m glad that they are now offering a native button-top version with acceptable performance.

SKV89
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 56 min ago
Joined: 12/10/2017 - 12:46
Posts: 3181
Location: US

This is simply the best high drain 14500 on the market. Someone please test this in a GT Micro.

Barkuti
Barkuti's picture
Offline
Last seen: 56 min 27 sec ago
Joined: 02/19/2014 - 14:46
Posts: 4296
Location: Alhama de Murcia, Spain

toobadorz wrote:
… they all seem to be the same cell from the same manufacturer. Their performance, however, vary from batch to batch, the differences you see among them are because of different grades and/or cell inconsistency within a batch.

Agree. And it is no good. Curious related article: Kaizen vs. Chabuduo: Changing Asian Quality Culture.

toobadorz wrote:

But they are still the best high-drain 14500 you can find. Among these choices, Shockli and Vapcell seem to be the only two that offer a native (NOT welded) button-top version of this cell.

Nothing new. By the way, cylindrical cells are not manufactured with button tops. And they are welded. Your bad experience, toobadorz, with button tops is due to shoddy work.When a button top is properly welded it works very well and without issues. Here is a picture of a 18650 cell from which I removed the button top to take a peek at its actual flat top; I still had not fully finished the work, you can see a leftover dot by the left:

 

 

I could count a total of six (dual maybe) welds around the button. I first had to use my rotary tool attached vertically to a vice with a milling bit so I could slide the cell flat under to remove the bulk of the button top, then proceed with some hand finish work with a grinding stone. That @#$% was not meant to break up easily! 

 

Cheers Smile 

toobadorz
toobadorz's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 17 hours ago
Joined: 01/10/2017 - 09:04
Posts: 136
Barkuti wrote:
By the way, cylindrical cells are not manufactured with button tops. And they are welded. Your bad experience, toobadorz, with button tops is due to shoddy work.When a button top is properly welded it works very well and without issues.

For 18650’s, I think you are right. But for some other sizes like 14500, 16340, and 10440, there are indeed some China manufacturers making a native button-top version. “Native” means that the top installed by the factory is already a protruding one, as commonly seen on AA or AAA batteries. The reason is simple, when there is a need of enough quantity, they can make that for you Wink


For example, DLG is a China li-ion manufacturer that offers both flat-top and button-top versions of 14500. This Soshine battery HKJ ever tested is simply a DLG NCM14500-850 with native button-top.

DavidEF
DavidEF's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 33 min ago
Joined: 06/05/2014 - 06:00
Posts: 7674
Location: Salisbury, North Carolina, USA

Agro wrote:
At low currents Efests are better. But they collapse at 10A.
Vapcell and Enercig EC-14500HP survive even this kind of current. Vapcell holds higher voltage while doing so (but ends up with less capacity).

IR? Vapcell 9 mOhm, Enercig 11 mOhm, Efest 13 mOhm. Smile


I don’t know if you’re right or not about the Efest. I haven’t ever used them in a high drain application. But according to the HKJ testing, the Vapcell aren’t really good at 10A either. Maybe you got better cells than he did?

The Cycle of Goodness: “No one prospers without rendering benefit to others”
- The YKK Philosophy

BT100
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 48 min ago
Joined: 03/26/2017 - 13:23
Posts: 87
Location: AZ USA

Hello, just curious. Does anyone know of a 14500 flashlight that puts a 10 amp load on its cells? Or even a 5 amp load? I have a manker T01 and MK41 and to my knowledge these lights are only drawing 2 or3 amps per cell. anyone??

djozz
djozz's picture
Offline
Last seen: 53 min 11 sec ago
Joined: 09/07/2012 - 17:04
Posts: 15981
Location: Amsterdam

BT100 wrote:
Hello, just curious. Does anyone know of a 14500 flashlight that puts a 10 amp load on its cells? Or even a 5 amp load? I have a manker T01 and MK41 and to my knowledge these lights are only drawing 2 or3 amps per cell. anyone??

Not so much stock flashlights but any modded flashlight with direct driver (I like the good old BLF-A6 driver very much) and low voltage led (like the Luxeon V or Oslon White Flat, and quite a few others) will draw 5+ amps from a high drain 14500 easily.
contactcr
Offline
Last seen: 12 hours 34 min ago
Joined: 05/19/2017 - 18:52
Posts: 2846
Location: US
BT100 wrote:
Hello, just curious. Does anyone know of a 14500 flashlight that puts a 10 amp load on its cells? Or even a 5 amp load? I have a manker T01 and MK41 and to my knowledge these lights are only drawing 2 or3 amps per cell. anyone??

Singles:
BLF X5
GT Micro

Triples:
kyfishguy micro mag
ASF EDC brass

Anything with a FET driver. Some people have modded AA Tool’s or other lights with FET drivers to make them 14500 only.

Agro
Agro's picture
Online
Last seen: 45 sec ago
Joined: 05/14/2017 - 11:16
Posts: 4761
Location: Ślōnsk

DavidEF wrote:
Agro wrote:
At low currents Efests are better. But they collapse at 10A.
Vapcell and Enercig EC-14500HP survive even this kind of current. Vapcell holds higher voltage while doing so (but ends up with less capacity).

IR? Vapcell 9 mOhm, Enercig 11 mOhm, Efest 13 mOhm. Smile


I don’t know if you’re right or not about the Efest. I haven’t ever used them in a high drain application. But according to the HKJ testing, the Vapcell aren’t really good at 10A either. Maybe you got better cells than he did?

No, I don’t have them. And I don’t have any 14500 light yet. Just looking at the graph they seem to deliver almost 600 mAh at 10A.
DavidEF
DavidEF's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 33 min ago
Joined: 06/05/2014 - 06:00
Posts: 7674
Location: Salisbury, North Carolina, USA

Agro wrote:
DavidEF wrote:
Agro wrote:
At low currents Efests are better. But they collapse at 10A.
Vapcell and Enercig EC-14500HP survive even this kind of current. Vapcell holds higher voltage while doing so (but ends up with less capacity).

IR? Vapcell 9 mOhm, Enercig 11 mOhm, Efest 13 mOhm. Smile


I don’t know if you’re right or not about the Efest. I haven’t ever used them in a high drain application. But according to the HKJ testing, the Vapcell aren’t really good at 10A either. Maybe you got better cells than he did?

No, I don’t have them. And I don’t have any 14500 light yet. Just looking at the graph they seem to deliver almost 600 mAh at 10A.

Okay, I just looked at the Comparator again, and I see what you mean. The Vapcell does falter, but not nearly as badly as the Efest Purple, and it does still maintain most of its capacity.

The Cycle of Goodness: “No one prospers without rendering benefit to others”
- The YKK Philosophy

Barkuti
Barkuti's picture
Offline
Last seen: 56 min 27 sec ago
Joined: 02/19/2014 - 14:46
Posts: 4296
Location: Alhama de Murcia, Spain

The output voltage of this cell at 10A is crumbled enough to hardly be of any use in any single emitter build. Even 7A would hardly be seen in practice except for a few seconds maybe.

For people who generally do not charge their cells to the max, the above is even less likely.

 

djozz
djozz's picture
Offline
Last seen: 53 min 11 sec ago
Joined: 09/07/2012 - 17:04
Posts: 15981
Location: Amsterdam

Barkuti wrote:

The output voltage of this cell at 10A is crumbled enough to hardly be of any use in any single emitter build. Even 7A would hardly be seen in practice except for a few seconds maybe.


For people who generally do not charge their cells to the max, the above is even less likely.


 



7A and a 2mm White Flat will work, with a littlebit voltage spare for circuit losses. But that is the lowest voltage high current led around.
iamlucky13
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 54 min ago
Joined: 06/22/2018 - 09:18
Posts: 603
Location: USA
BT100 wrote:
Hello, just curious. Does anyone know of a 14500 flashlight that puts a 10 amp load on its cells? Or even a 5 amp load? I have a manker T01 and MK41 and to my knowledge these lights are only drawing 2 or3 amps per cell. anyone??

The Emisar A1 needs a very high output 14500 like this.

Unfortunately, the only place I have seen an Emisar A1 is in my imagination.

d_t_a
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 10 min ago
Joined: 08/04/2017 - 23:58
Posts: 1461
Location: Manila, Philippines

GT Micro, BLF X5, Klarus XT1A I think can draw 4+ Amps.

vapcell Dennis
vapcell Dennis's picture
Online
Last seen: 12 min 29 sec ago
Joined: 09/14/2018 - 04:31
Posts: 181
Location: China

Thanks HKJ Beer

Barkuti
Barkuti's picture
Offline
Last seen: 56 min 27 sec ago
Joined: 02/19/2014 - 14:46
Posts: 4296
Location: Alhama de Murcia, Spain

Volumetrically speaking a 14500 has ≈46.534% the volume of a 18650. If we were to translate the technology of an VTC5A cell inside one of these cans, at a (let's say) 45% effective inner space or close, the cell would at least have 1100+mAh of capacity and due to better thermal characteristics its discharge rate would clock 12A continuous with ease.

Just saying.

 

Smile 

BT100
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 48 min ago
Joined: 03/26/2017 - 13:23
Posts: 87
Location: AZ USA

Thanks all. I have BLF X5 I just didnt realize it pulled 5 amps. haha

SKV89
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 56 min ago
Joined: 12/10/2017 - 12:46
Posts: 3181
Location: US

Is this the same cell as the Shockli 14500 660mah yellow and Windyfire 14500 600mah Red?

Barkuti
Barkuti's picture
Offline
Last seen: 56 min 27 sec ago
Joined: 02/19/2014 - 14:46
Posts: 4296
Location: Alhama de Murcia, Spain

SKV89 wrote:
Is this the same cell as the Shockli 14500 660mah yellow and Windyfire 14500 600mah Red?

Yes. Any differences may be attributed to version, batch, or just because the manufacturer consistency sucks. This means this cell can be a troublesome choice for series builds or battery packs.

The Windyfire is now rated 650mAh. Same cell as the Trustfire IMR14500 700mAh too.

 

Cheers Smile