Emisar D4v2 for EDC > sst-20 3000k vs 4000k

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
FabienG
Offline
Last seen: 11 hours 10 min ago
Joined: 07/04/2019 - 03:55
Posts: 66
Emisar D4v2 for EDC > sst-20 3000k vs 4000k

I am looking for a compact powerful flood light and the Emisar D4v2 looks like an interesting option. It’s really compact and have the option of fire-starter too (!)

The Turbo mode is usable for “instant boost” few seconds only, I am wondering which tint is the nicest one, especially @ around 200-300 lumens continuous use.

What would you guys recommend? Is the sst-3000K too yellow, or 4000k too greenish bellow 1amp?

As I need some extra MCPCB for the GT-mini mod, intl-outdoor has that D4v2 which looks extremely tempting mmh…

Edited by: FabienG on 07/08/2019 - 04:15
emarkd
emarkd's picture
Offline
Last seen: 10 hours 30 min ago
Joined: 04/14/2015 - 22:04
Posts: 1591
Location: Georgia, USA

2-300 lumens is still quite a bit of light. My experience with SST20’s is that they’re not too badly greenish once you get out of the super low modes. I like 3000k in some situations but for general EDC use 4000k is better, to me. So if I’m making this decision it would be 4000k. But that’s just me, my opinion.

By the way, the D4v2 (and any other good quality flashlight) makes a terrible fire-starter. You don’t need mega-lumens to start fires. A match starts a fire so much better and only emits a lumen or two. Most flashlights that readily and easily start fires do so because they’re awfully inefficient and direct most of their energy into heat-emission instead of light-emission. Something like the D4v2 isn’t that bad and can sometimes start fires on the right surface because of that surface’s ability to absorb photons, and these lights emit plenty of photons, but don’t rely on it to be a fire-starter. Buy a lighter instead.

FabienG
Offline
Last seen: 11 hours 10 min ago
Joined: 07/04/2019 - 03:55
Posts: 66

Thanks, in fact I was just kidding about the fire-starter. I like the capability to have a super-turbo to illuminate wide area for few seconds.
I noticed also that the D4Sgot the 219C-90CRI option compared to just 85CRI for the D4v2. I wish it has also that option. 4000k seems the way to go.

BurningPlayd0h
BurningPlayd0h's picture
Offline
Last seen: 53 min 42 sec ago
Joined: 06/22/2018 - 02:16
Posts: 567
Location: MN
FabienG wrote:
Thanks, in fact I was just kidding about the fire-starter. I like the capability to have a super-turbo to illuminate wide area for few seconds. I noticed also that the D4Sgot the 219C-90CRI option compared to just 85CRI for the D4v2. I wish it has also that option. 4000k seems the way to go.

The 83CRI 219Cs have much better tint than the 90 CRI version and still do pretty well as far as color reproduction goes.

If you talk to Hank he should be able to mix emitters too for a small fee, there is at least one 2×3000K + 2×4000K SST-20 D4 out there: https://www.reddit.com/r/flashlight/comments/a647w5/emisar_d4_beamshot_c...

twisted raven
Online
Last seen: 13 min 16 sec ago
Joined: 03/13/2016 - 11:10
Posts: 369
Location: texas

Mixing CCTs or adding a lee zircon minus green filter is a great way to reduce the amount of green the SST20 produces at lower modes. SST20 produces amazing red and brown tones, I love it for color rendering. If you’re looking for ~300 lumen output, each emitter is going to only be driven at 200ma, which means they’ll be slightly green. 3000k vs 4000k should be the same assuming supplier gets same tint bins for each. Again safest bet would be to mix CCTs or add filter if you want absolute purity at lower outputs.

Having said that though, SST20 is also the throwiest of the emitters available. If you want the most flood, you’ll want the 219C. XPL HI will produce the most lumens, but will be more floody than SST20.

FabienG
Offline
Last seen: 11 hours 10 min ago
Joined: 07/04/2019 - 03:55
Posts: 66

The 4000k non-mixed tint looks better and the beam is definitely tighter. I like that Thumbs Up

Actually, what is the effect of a “greenish tint” over green objects like plants?

Quote:
SST20 produces amazing red and brown tones, I love it for color rendering.

If we compare 2 lights with the same CRI and the same color temperature, but one is above and the other bellow the BBL, for example, a green SST-20 cri95 4000 vs a pinkish 219B cri95 4000K ? Which tint is better for outdoor use?

Are green leaves going to look more natural under the Luminous, compare to the rosy tint of a Nichia?

BurningPlayd0h
BurningPlayd0h's picture
Offline
Last seen: 53 min 42 sec ago
Joined: 06/22/2018 - 02:16
Posts: 567
Location: MN

FabienG wrote:
The 4000k non-mixed tint looks better and the beam is definitely tighter. I like that Thumbs Up

Actually, what is the effect of a “greenish tint” over green objects like plants?

Quote:
SST20 produces amazing red and brown tones, I love it for color rendering.

If we compare 2 lights with the same CRI and the same color temperature, but one is above and the other bellow the BBL, for example, a green SST-20 cri95 4000 vs a pinkish 219B cri95 4000K ? Which tint is better for outdoor use?

Are green leaves going to look more natural under the Luminous, compare to the rosy tint of a Nichia?

He is using a frosted optic for the mixed tint, that’s why it’s floodier.

twisted raven
Online
Last seen: 13 min 16 sec ago
Joined: 03/13/2016 - 11:10
Posts: 369
Location: texas

FabienG wrote:

If we compare 2 lights with the same CRI and the same color temperature, but one is above and the other bellow the BBL, for example, a green SST-20 cri95 4000 vs a pinkish 219B cri95 4000K ? Which tint is better for outdoor use?

Are green leaves going to look more natural under the Luminous, compare to the rosy tint of a Nichia?

I had a 219 4500k R9080 ROT66 vs the 4000k SST20 ROT66 and I liked the SST20 better for outdoors. Most of that was just the warmer CCT though. 4000k being a warmer CCT means browns will be more brown, while green leaves and grass will be more yellow.

Omega_17
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 20 hours ago
Joined: 06/02/2013 - 16:56
Posts: 870
Location: France

If you like halogen light take the 3000k, its much nicer to use at night. If you use the light often during daylight to check things take the 4000k.

Nev
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 23 min ago
Joined: 04/06/2017 - 07:50
Posts: 725
Location: U.K.

Beast for looking at green leaves & grass etc is xplhi.

lawallac
lawallac's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 2 min ago
Joined: 01/04/2012 - 15:31
Posts: 416
Location: WI

In the D4S I’ve got the sst20 3000, HI 4000, HI 5000, and HD 5000. The 95 CRI sst20 3000k visibly has the most throw and is my favorite. It’s also the least expensive. I didn’t want green like I had heard about on the sst20 4000. I liked the 3000k tint by far the most and bought the D18 in the same tint and it has become my nightstand light of choice. I’m also getting the D4S ver2 soon in sst20 3000k and 6500k.

BurningPlayd0h
BurningPlayd0h's picture
Offline
Last seen: 53 min 42 sec ago
Joined: 06/22/2018 - 02:16
Posts: 567
Location: MN
Nev wrote:
Beast for looking at green leaves & grass etc is xplhi.

Why do you say that?

Tally-ho
Tally-ho's picture
Offline
Last seen: 21 min 7 sec ago
Joined: 07/23/2011 - 04:15
Posts: 1132
Location: France

Because XPL-HI saturates green but makes it looking garish green, ugly unnatural. SST-20 and 219B colors rendition are way more natural, less distorded contrary to the XPL-HI that is affected by very noticeable hue shits and chroma shifts in several colors region.

Nev
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 23 min ago
Joined: 04/06/2017 - 07:50
Posts: 725
Location: U.K.
BurningPlayd0h wrote:
Nev wrote:
Beast for looking at green leaves & grass etc is xplhi.

Why do you say that?


It’s meant to say best not beast but I guess you worked that out.
What I mean by it is that IMO xplhi is the best tint for outdoors because there is a lot of green outdoors & it’s the led that makes green look more natural and nicer , I’ve had a D4s in sst & sold it because to my eyes XPLHI is much nicer , I liked the sst on turbo but I was very disappointed with the green tint at lower brightness.