Glow ropes

78 posts / 0 new
Last post
MoreLumens
MoreLumens's picture
Online
Last seen: 5 min 39 sec ago
Joined: 10/25/2019 - 07:08
Posts: 783
Location: Finland
MoreLumens wrote:
Lightbringer wrote:
Agro wrote:
I haven’t thought about that. Quick estimation: My large tent (the one that matters) has 10 guy lines. Say 15m total length. Cut a 20m string into sections, wire together to a single USB plug, add some resistor to reduce output….sounds like an interesting solution. Smile More involved than I’m willing to do now but I’ll keep that in mind for later. Thank you for this hint. Smile As to strings themselves – Ali is still cheaper than even these deals (and for me – much easier as well). My recent purchase was a 20m remotely controlled string for $3.64

Wellp, those doodads also come in usb-powered, not just AA. I usually go by LED-count. So 600 LEDs (2×300) cost me something like 13bux.

Difference is that I got these in like 4 days (non-prime), not 4 months.

And the controllers not only let you do fades, blinks, etc., but you can also throttle down the brightness, too. So on minimum, you should still be able to see the lines quite clearly in the dark, and get decent battery life.

And being that they’re 3×AA or 4.5V, I imagine they might work with a Li cell (haven’t tried it yet, though).

I got one xmas light string too, nice warm white tint, with all those blinky-blinks and stuff, but I did that mistake and ordered it with battery case so I am going to get it into usb powered. Not sure if that works, but not much to lose.

Well did a quick test and they do work, straight from usb and straight from the cell too:

Looks like I got new camping light with remote. Party

Agro
Agro's picture
Online
Last seen: 1 min 18 sec ago
Joined: 05/14/2017 - 11:16
Posts: 6247
Location: Ślōnsk
MoreLumens wrote:
MoreLumens wrote:
Lightbringer wrote:
Agro wrote:
I haven’t thought about that. Quick estimation: My large tent (the one that matters) has 10 guy lines. Say 15m total length. Cut a 20m string into sections, wire together to a single USB plug, add some resistor to reduce output….sounds like an interesting solution. Smile More involved than I’m willing to do now but I’ll keep that in mind for later. Thank you for this hint. Smile As to strings themselves – Ali is still cheaper than even these deals (and for me – much easier as well). My recent purchase was a 20m remotely controlled string for $3.64

Wellp, those doodads also come in usb-powered, not just AA. I usually go by LED-count. So 600 LEDs (2×300) cost me something like 13bux.

Difference is that I got these in like 4 days (non-prime), not 4 months.

And the controllers not only let you do fades, blinks, etc., but you can also throttle down the brightness, too. So on minimum, you should still be able to see the lines quite clearly in the dark, and get decent battery life.

And being that they’re 3×AA or 4.5V, I imagine they might work with a Li cell (haven’t tried it yet, though).

I got one xmas light string too, nice warm white tint, with all those blinky-blinks and stuff, but I did that mistake and ordered it with battery case so I am going to get it into usb powered. Not sure if that works, but not much to lose.

Well did a quick test and they do work, straight from usb and straight from the cell too:

Looks like I got new camping light with remote. Party


Interesting. Smile
I have USB ones only, it’s quite inefficient to boost power to 5V only to have the lights use resistors to bring it down. And also I lack a powerful enough powerbank, direct connection is better in this regard. This battery box variant may be nice…but I need to figure out some reasonable 18650 / 21700 box. Smile Maybe some cheap plastic powerbank with electronics replaced….
Agro
Agro's picture
Online
Last seen: 1 min 18 sec ago
Joined: 05/14/2017 - 11:16
Posts: 6247
Location: Ślōnsk
Lightbringer wrote:
Agro wrote:
I haven’t thought about that. Quick estimation: My large tent (the one that matters) has 10 guy lines. Say 15m total length. Cut a 20m string into sections, wire together to a single USB plug, add some resistor to reduce output….sounds like an interesting solution. Smile More involved than I’m willing to do now but I’ll keep that in mind for later. Thank you for this hint. Smile As to strings themselves – Ali is still cheaper than even these deals (and for me – much easier as well). My recent purchase was a 20m remotely controlled string for $3.64

Wellp, those doodads also come in usb-powered, not just AA. I usually go by LED-count. So 600 LEDs (2×300) cost me something like 13bux.

Difference is that I got these in like 4 days (non-prime), not 4 months.

And the controllers not only let you do fades, blinks, etc., but you can also throttle down the brightness, too. So on minimum, you should still be able to see the lines quite clearly in the dark, and get decent battery life.

And being that they’re 3×AA or 4.5V, I imagine they might work with a Li cell (haven’t tried it yet, though).


300 LED per string from DC power? I fail to see any source for this in China, the longest I see is 20m / 200 LED. Could you please share a link? Maybe it will help me find them…
MoreLumens
MoreLumens's picture
Online
Last seen: 5 min 39 sec ago
Joined: 10/25/2019 - 07:08
Posts: 783
Location: Finland

Using AA with these seems kinda bad. Max brightness starts to dim very soon and it just drains cells empty.

Lightbringer
Lightbringer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 19 min ago
Joined: 08/30/2016 - 14:12
Posts: 12443
Location: nyc
Agro wrote:
300 LED per string from DC power? I fail to see any source for this in China, the longest I see is 20m / 200 LED. Could you please share a link? Maybe it will help me find them…

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Y9JD2F7/

These are 6×AA, but they’re 3S2P, so just sticking in one “layer” of cells will work.

Same issue like 3×AAA lights, in that they’ll be hella bright at first, but drop like a rock pretty quickly as the cells wear. So I’d probably rig up something to use USB power if I could.

Also, they’re 3-wire, so there’s “channel A”, “channel B”, and ground. That’s how you get alternating blinkies and fades and chases and whatnot. So actually they’re 150 LEDs on a string.

I intend to snip off what I might need from the end, then (if needed) reseal the end with a dab of epoxy or whatever.

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Lightbringer
Lightbringer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 19 min ago
Joined: 08/30/2016 - 14:12
Posts: 12443
Location: nyc
MoreLumens wrote:
Using AA with these seems kinda bad. Max brightness starts to dim very soon and it just drains cells empty.

Yeh, same issues like those crappy 9-LED lights…

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

MoreLumens
MoreLumens's picture
Online
Last seen: 5 min 39 sec ago
Joined: 10/25/2019 - 07:08
Posts: 783
Location: Finland

Mine is 10 m/100 leds, but could cut shorter if needed because all leds are paraller. I think. Maybe even adding small potentiometer to make dimmest setting even more dimmier if needed and you could always go full red or green string leds. Those at really dim would be kinda like glow in the dark tent ropes.

This works for me though. Nothing else needed.

Agro
Agro's picture
Online
Last seen: 1 min 18 sec ago
Joined: 05/14/2017 - 11:16
Posts: 6247
Location: Ślōnsk
Lightbringer wrote:
Agro wrote:
300 LED per string from DC power? I fail to see any source for this in China, the longest I see is 20m / 200 LED. Could you please share a link? Maybe it will help me find them…

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Y9JD2F7/

These are 6×AA, but they’re 3S2P, so just sticking in one “layer” of cells will work.

Same issue like 3×AAA lights, in that they’ll be hella bright at first, but drop like a rock pretty quickly as the cells wear. So I’d probably rig up something to use USB power if I could.

Also, they’re 3-wire, so there’s “channel A”, “channel B”, and ground. That’s how you get alternating blinkies and fades and chases and whatnot. So actually they’re 150 LEDs on a string.

I intend to snip off what I might need from the end, then (if needed) reseal the end with a dab of epoxy or whatever.


Thanks, these look nice. Smile
For 30m string you would need a USB PD-capable plug because you’re going to exceed 3A.
Starkm32
Starkm32's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 53 min ago
Joined: 03/01/2019 - 11:12
Posts: 432

With all those lights, blinkies + the tent, you will certainly will be attracting
The whole of the fest in your mini Times Square?

You will have achieved your intent, no flipping drunks aloud.

But with focused attention, there inevitably come loss. Fireflies will
Be attracted.

Perhaps a few motion activated LEDs on the GLO ropes will suffice.

As some would say, less is more. YMMV

Tentless, at Woodstock.

Agro
Agro's picture
Online
Last seen: 1 min 18 sec ago
Joined: 05/14/2017 - 11:16
Posts: 6247
Location: Ślōnsk

Starkm32 wrote:
With all those lights, blinkies + the tent, you will certainly will be attracting
The whole of the fest in your mini Times Square?

You will have achieved your intent, no flipping drunks aloud.

But with focused attention, there inevitably come loss. Fireflies will
Be attracted.

Perhaps a few motion activated LEDs on the GLO ropes will suffice.

As some would say, less is more. YMMV


Indeed. And blinkies are a big no no no no no no no.
My plan for this year is to try reflective rope plus cheap CR2032 lights that I intend to buy for other uses anyway. Cheap and simple. If they work well enough I can upgrade them with rechargeable batteries, tweak resistance to achieve desired (low) brightness and call it success. If no I’ll keep searching.
Starkm32
Starkm32's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 53 min ago
Joined: 03/01/2019 - 11:12
Posts: 432

LOL

pinkpanda3310
pinkpanda3310's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 45 min ago
Joined: 12/28/2013 - 08:45
Posts: 2703
Location: Perth

What about optic fibre that you can light up with a single led (one of those cr2032 lights…?? ) ?

Agro
Agro's picture
Online
Last seen: 1 min 18 sec ago
Joined: 05/14/2017 - 11:16
Posts: 6247
Location: Ślōnsk

pinkpanda3310 wrote:
What about optic fibre that you can light up with a single led (one of those cr2032 lights…?? ) ?

Instead or along a guy line? Smile
I think that a fiber strong enough would be too inflexible but I don’t have any experience with this stuff.
pinkpanda3310
pinkpanda3310's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 45 min ago
Joined: 12/28/2013 - 08:45
Posts: 2703
Location: Perth

I was thinking just wrap it around the guy line. It couldn’t be used as a guy line by itself. The only experience I have with something like this is a lighted cap. I had the blue one. It wasn’t pleasant to use as it glared in my eyes. It had 2 led’s (one each side) so it was plenty bright to see ‘it’ in the dark but not any good for lighting up anything except your face.

For your purpose this ‘might’ work, I don’t know how visible it’ll be to a stumbling drunk but EL wire is unmissable in the dark.

Lightbringer
Lightbringer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 19 min ago
Joined: 08/30/2016 - 14:12
Posts: 12443
Location: nyc

Wellp, I just got some “fairy lights”, and while the rgb ones can be tricky unless you want to set specific colors, the plain WW ones are 3-wire but can be “turned into” 2-wire by just joining the 2 channels.

From there, yeah, a small length tie-wrapped to a rope, powered with coin-cell + resistor for just a faint glow should be enough and cheap-enough to do on a budget.

Vipon has/had a 16-pack of shorter-length FLs that come with a small holder for coin-cell and with a built-in switch. Those made to stick the lights into bottles have an elongated frustrum for a holder and take stacked button-cells Sick but the other ones have the flat coin-cell holders. Hang on…

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0834W68MC

and if anyone’s interested

https://www.vipon.com/product/7246422-Fog-Rain-Pack-LED-Fairy-20LED-amazon-coupons

for 9bux’n‘change for the set of 16.

Go crazy…

 

(Bah, c&p the link instead of just clicking on it.)

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Lightbringer
Lightbringer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 19 min ago
Joined: 08/30/2016 - 14:12
Posts: 12443
Location: nyc

Ha! Lookit the pix. You can pimp out your bike with chicken-lights using these, too! LOL

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

MoreLumens
MoreLumens's picture
Online
Last seen: 5 min 39 sec ago
Joined: 10/25/2019 - 07:08
Posts: 783
Location: Finland
Lightbringer wrote:
Ha! Lookit the pix. You can pimp out your bike with chicken-lights using these, too! LOL

Every december, yeah I do it:

Maybe adding other light string to fork this year. We will see.

Pages