[review] Wurkkos WK30 white/red/UV light

237 posts / 0 new
Last post
Lightbringer
Lightbringer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 42 min 43 sec ago
Joined: 08/30/2016 - 14:12
Posts: 9168
Location: nyc

I don’t see even a hint of AR coating, which is fine with me.

Yeah, it discolors the beam, generally greenifies it and makes it yicky.

If you’ve got an Angry Blue™ light anyway, the extra green just makes it more aqua or whatever. Might not even be that bad. True neutral white would probably show it up more, definitely green-hued vs, well, neutral. Warm white would tend towards pus-yellow instead of rosy.

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Lux-Perpetua
Lux-Perpetua's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 55 min ago
Joined: 03/01/2018 - 04:39
Posts: 1555
Location: Germany, 德国, ドイツ, Германия, जर्मनी

Sorry, I don’t have any clue which coating is best or which reflective coating has the least impact on the tint shift.

Lund1660
Online
Last seen: 3 min ago
Joined: 08/28/2015 - 04:51
Posts: 386

For those that swapped emitters is their three separate mcpcbs or just one? Just purchased one off amazon. I want to change the uv to sst-20 or sw45k.

Nachtfeuerzeug
Nachtfeuerzeug's picture
Online
Last seen: 4 min 13 sec ago
Joined: 08/31/2013 - 16:10
Posts: 385

Recent/ongoing Mods:

https://imgur.com/a/8qUyZbL

https://imgur.com/a/EHq0i

 

                                

 

Lund1660
Online
Last seen: 3 min ago
Joined: 08/28/2015 - 04:51
Posts: 386

Thanks! Do you think the uv is a standard 3535 footprint?

Nachtfeuerzeug
Nachtfeuerzeug's picture
Online
Last seen: 4 min 13 sec ago
Joined: 08/31/2013 - 16:10
Posts: 385

I was quite astonished he didn't RUN!

Recent/ongoing Mods:

https://imgur.com/a/8qUyZbL

https://imgur.com/a/EHq0i

 

                                

 

d_t_a
Offline
Last seen: 18 min 43 sec ago
Joined: 08/04/2017 - 23:58
Posts: 1330
Location: Manila, Philippines

I ordered the Wurkkos W30 and it just arrived today.

I’m testing it out. Noticed some things. The UV isn’t 365nm (already mentioned above). I notice that it will not make certain ‘markings’ on our country’s currency glow, unlike when I use the Convoy S2+ with Nichia UV365 or Convoy S2 with LG UV365 LEDs.

Another thing is, I’m not sure if this has been pointed out in the earlier pages — it might be a bug:
- this occurs after going the alternating white+red strobe mode of the red light mode; what I think s a “bug” is that both the red and white LED will be lit up at the same time after following the sequence below)

1) from Off, double-click to operate Red light
2) double-click again to operate Strobes mode of Red light (flashing Red only)
3) single-click to advance to next strobe mode (alternate flashing Red + White)
4) now when the light is actually flashing the White LED, do a double-click (what this does is go back to the regular Red light mode)
=> the bug is that, now in regular Red light mode, use single-click to advance to next higher Red brightness level; when the Red is on High mode, the white LED will also be lit up (in Low brightness).

Normally, when in regular Red mode, single-click will advance the Red light brightness, but will not turn on the White LED. But following the above sequence, it appears to trigger the Red + White LED being turned on at the same time (the White LED becoming On while in Red light doesn’t seem to occur all the time, but it seems to get triggered more often when doing the ‘double-click’ while the flashlight is in Alternating Red+White and the light is actually flashing White at the time of the Double-click).

Anyone tried the above?

Lund1660
Online
Last seen: 3 min ago
Joined: 08/28/2015 - 04:51
Posts: 386

Tried it with my light, couldn’t get mine to do what you described.

saypat
saypat's picture
Offline
Last seen: 29 min 37 sec ago
Joined: 07/13/2011 - 20:32
Posts: 3449
Location: Calif

me neither

Streamer
Streamer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 2 min ago
Joined: 12/01/2011 - 21:06
Posts: 3756
Location: TX

Mine neither. sounds like yours has a resistance leak on the white led’s high mode switching Question

1stein
1stein's picture
Offline
Last seen: 33 min 50 sec ago
Joined: 12/24/2017 - 16:25
Posts: 468
Location: Poland

d_t_a wrote:

Normally, when in regular Red mode, single-click will advance the Red light brightness, but will not turn on the White LED. But following the above sequence, it appears to trigger the Red + White LED being turned on at the same time (the White LED becoming On while in Red light doesn’t seem to occur all the time, but it seems to get triggered more often when doing the ‘double-click’ while the flashlight is in Alternating Red+White and the light is actually flashing White at the time of the Double-click).

Anyone tried the above?

Yep, here

MacLee
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 21 hours ago
Joined: 05/28/2019 - 05:14
Posts: 41

d_t_a wrote:
I ordered the Wurkkos W30 and it just arrived today.

I’m testing it out. Noticed some things. The UV isn’t 365nm (already mentioned above). I notice that it will not make certain ‘markings’ on our country’s currency glow, unlike when I use the Convoy S2+ with Nichia UV365 or Convoy S2 with LG UV365 LEDs.

Another thing is, I’m not sure if this has been pointed out in the earlier pages — it might be a bug:
- this occurs after going the alternating white+red strobe mode of the red light mode; what I think s a “bug” is that both the red and white LED will be lit up at the same time after following the sequence below)

1) from Off, double-click to operate Red light
2) double-click again to operate Strobes mode of Red light (flashing Red only)
3) single-click to advance to next strobe mode (alternate flashing Red + White)
4) now when the light is actually flashing the White LED, do a double-click (what this does is go back to the regular Red light mode)
=> the bug is that, now in regular Red light mode, use single-click to advance to next higher Red brightness level; when the Red is on High mode, the white LED will also be lit up (in Low brightness).

Normally, when in regular Red mode, single-click will advance the Red light brightness, but will not turn on the White LED. But following the above sequence, it appears to trigger the Red + White LED being turned on at the same time (the White LED becoming On while in Red light doesn’t seem to occur all the time, but it seems to get triggered more often when doing the ‘double-click’ while the flashlight is in Alternating Red+White and the light is actually flashing White at the time of the Double-click).

Anyone tried the above?


oh, we will test it again , the sample in my hand white LED not shows when in red light mode.
d_t_a
Offline
Last seen: 18 min 43 sec ago
Joined: 08/04/2017 - 23:58
Posts: 1330
Location: Manila, Philippines

MacLee][quote=d_t_a wrote:
I ordered the Wurkkos W30 and it just arrived today.

Another thing is, I’m not sure if this has been pointed out in the earlier pages — it might be a bug:
- this occurs after going the alternating white+red strobe mode of the red light mode; what I think s a “bug” is that both the red and white LED will be lit up at the same time after following the sequence below)

1) from Off, double-click to operate Red light
2) double-click again to operate Strobes mode of Red light (flashing Red only)
3) single-click to advance to next strobe mode (alternate flashing Red + White)
4) now when the light is actually flashing the White LED, do a double-click (what this does is go back to the regular Red light mode)
=> the bug is that, now in regular Red light mode, use single-click to advance to next higher Red brightness level; when the Red is on High mode, the white LED will also be lit up (in Low brightness).

oh, we will test it again , the sample in my hand white LED not shows when in red light mode.

It doesn’t always occur, but doing it a few times will trigger the white LED also lighting up with the Red LED (on High).

The trigger is: while the flashlight is in the “alternating Red + White strobe modes”, do a double-click while it is flashing white LED. This will go back to regular Red mode, but cycling the Red to High will also light up the White LED.

Mentioned above is “resistance leak”, just wondering is this easily fixable?

klrman
klrman's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 31 min ago
Joined: 11/07/2016 - 22:44
Posts: 2302
Location: Canada

Got my WK30 today.  Impressive little light, didn't know red had three levels and that it would throw so far and bright.  Any idea what brand of battery is behind the wrapper?

Lightbringer
Lightbringer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 42 min 43 sec ago
Joined: 08/30/2016 - 14:12
Posts: 9168
Location: nyc

No idea, but it seems pretty decent. My “5000mAH” cells (both) clocked in at 5380mAH or thereabouts on my Opus, which is pretty awesome. The light’s not all that high-strung, so you won’t be needing a 30A cell or anything, so it should do just fine.

Hey, I’m still tickled about ‘em. LOL

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Lightbringer
Lightbringer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 42 min 43 sec ago
Joined: 08/30/2016 - 14:12
Posts: 9168
Location: nyc

Lightbringer wrote:
Mmm, I may have to try a coupla those universal holsters…

https://www.fasttech.com/products/1539801

“NaitHawk”? Who named it that? Tommy Wiseau?

Okay, I finally got these. Not bad at all. They’re crapping velcro and elastic all over the place, so they’re really adjustable, even the length of the flap! “Universal” is right. The only drawback is sheer bulk.

Lens-down, the bottom “cup” is a bit too tapered, so the light won’t slide down all the way, but lens-up, it bottoms out nicely. Like I said, even the flap-length is adjustable, just wedge your finger in the hole to separate the velcro, then slide the flap longer/shorter as you’d want it, then squeeze it together again. No belt-loop, but 2 velcro(!!) molle-type straps so you can attach it to a bag or whatnot. There’s also a hangy-loop up-top for maybe a D-ring or carabiner if you want, too.

And the ’30 fits into it (lens-up) with the switch and usb port almost perfectly above the edge of the material, as if made for it. Not bad at all.

I think I’ll still keep my SP32A on my bag, as it’s lower-profile and not nearly as bulky, but damn, if I wanted to, now I can hang my ’30 on it, too or instead.

And it’s got that Wiseau thing going on, too. Gotta love it…

Hey, for <4bux a pop, go for it.

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

klrman
klrman's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 31 min ago
Joined: 11/07/2016 - 22:44
Posts: 2302
Location: Canada

Lightbringer wrote:
No idea, but it seems pretty decent. My "5000mAH" cells (both) clocked in at 5380mAH or thereabouts on my Opus, which is pretty awesome. The light's not all that high-strung, so you won't be needing a 30A cell or anything, so it should do just fine. Hey, I'm still tickled about 'em. :))

 

5380mAH seems not bad at all.  I have to say this is one of those fun lights that I would never think of selling.

riffraff
riffraff's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 25 min ago
Joined: 09/10/2019 - 13:14
Posts: 3
Location: Quantrill's country (fly-over state)

I just now ordered one. I’m hoping it’s all you guys say it is. Big Smile

"Real bright, though."

Lightbringer
Lightbringer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 42 min 43 sec ago
Joined: 08/30/2016 - 14:12
Posts: 9168
Location: nyc
klrman wrote:
I have to say this is one of those fun lights that I would never think of selling.

Pffft. This is one of those lights where you buy a few spares so that you never have to do without no matter what. LOL

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Lightbringer
Lightbringer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 42 min 43 sec ago
Joined: 08/30/2016 - 14:12
Posts: 9168
Location: nyc
riffraff wrote:
I just now ordered one. I’m hoping it’s all you guys say it is. Big Smile

I think it’s safe to say you’ll be tickled with this light.

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

klrman
klrman's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 31 min ago
Joined: 11/07/2016 - 22:44
Posts: 2302
Location: Canada

^ I'm going to ask Wurkos if they would consider making the same light as well in two more versions, one with a deep emerald green and another with a royal blue instead of red.  I'd like to collect these.  Was a little disappointed when I first turned on the red light until I figured out it has a L-M-H on it and then was blown away at how strong it was.  This little light is a real winner.  Also really like that the button turns from green to blue to let you know you have the uv light on, that was a nice touch.

Lightbringer
Lightbringer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 42 min 43 sec ago
Joined: 08/30/2016 - 14:12
Posts: 9168
Location: nyc

Umm, you do know that UV has low and high brightnesses, too, right?

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

klrman
klrman's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 31 min ago
Joined: 11/07/2016 - 22:44
Posts: 2302
Location: Canada

Yes, noticed that with the uv right away.

Streamer
Streamer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 2 min ago
Joined: 12/01/2011 - 21:06
Posts: 3756
Location: TX

I’m hoping for a knurled version of this light as was alluded to earlier. Fingers crossed but not holding breath. Big Smile

azj
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 11 hours ago
Joined: 12/08/2017 - 16:46
Posts: 77
Location: Riverside, CA

Damn you..I’ve been trying to save money…

klrman
klrman's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 31 min ago
Joined: 11/07/2016 - 22:44
Posts: 2302
Location: Canada

azj wrote:
Damn you..I've been trying to save money...

 

No can do if you are a BLF member, it's written in their terms and conditions to empty our pockets every time a nice flashlight comes on the radar cool

Pages