Amazon Delivery takes it up a another notch

28 posts / 0 new
Last post
Muto
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 31 min ago
Joined: 09/04/2012 - 16:42
Posts: 2068
Location: Southeast, PA
Amazon Delivery takes it up a another notch

Ordered a new inexpensive router last night, just arrived at 6pm today.

Here’s the kicker, They sent a small unmarked transit van all the way from Philly to here in Lancaster county for the last leg of the journey, easy 60 miles one way.
That same order would have come by UPS or more likely USPS and arrived late tomorrow.
It went from Dallas, TX to Allentown, PA, then Philly and then here. All in less than 20 hours.
That same type of overnight delivery from FedEX 10 years ago would have cost at least $45-60 and now here it is part of Prime.

They are really serious of not having to depend on the major shippers anymore.
Also noticed when checking tracking status it actually showed the position of the van about 2 mile away and said it was 8 stops from being delivered, showed up like 15 minutes later, nuts.

After reading this article I kind of really feel for these small shipper firms, Amazon is really squeezing them;
https://features.propublica.org/amazon-delivery-crashes/how-amazon-hooke...

But such is the way of the ugly world of business in 2019 I guess.

Later,
Keith

After the Apocalypse there will be only 2 things left alive, Cockroaches and Keith Richards
..
Rockin’ In Bedrock, Twitch, Twitch!
..
Big Sky Country

Edited by: Muto on 09/05/2019 - 18:51
raccoon city
raccoon city's picture
Offline
Last seen: 37 min 6 sec ago
Joined: 10/06/2010 - 02:35
Posts: 13320
Location: रॅकून सिटी Palm Desert CA USA

I don't have Prime, but I like Amazon for a lot of things.

I always have to order enough stuff to get free shipping.

If I ever needed something ASAP, I would sign up for a free month of Prime, but so far I have done fine with the somewhat slow shipping.

neo71665
neo71665's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 days 4 hours ago
Joined: 02/21/2016 - 10:53
Posts: 189
Location: Arkansas

My brother, 2 aunts, mom, and me all chip in and share a prime account. All our stuff still comes UPS.

jasontheguitarist
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 20 hours ago
Joined: 02/25/2019 - 11:45
Posts: 186
Location: South Carolina

You never know what you’ll get though.The Amazon van, or a “flex driver” in their own car like they’re delivering a pizza.

I had the “your package is 10 stops away” thing. I watched it on the map until it said I was next, then “delivered”

I looked outside in time to see a random car turn around in my driveway and zoom off. No package at the door. Turns out they stuck the package in my mailbox and marked it as “handed directly to a resident” to avoid having to bring it to the porch and snap a picture.

Whenever It’s the actual amazon van they usually bring it to the porch and take a picture like they’re supposed to.

chinooker
chinooker's picture
Online
Last seen: 4 min 28 sec ago
Joined: 12/16/2015 - 13:27
Posts: 1729
Location: mid USA left coast

federal crime

scosgt
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 32 min ago
Joined: 07/03/2019 - 22:32
Posts: 526
Location: New York

I wish Amazon sold all the flashlights we love on Prime.
Nothing like placing an order at 6 PM and having it in your hand at 3 PM the next day.
Worth the $99 a year. For the speed and the free shipping.

jasontheguitarist
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 20 hours ago
Joined: 02/25/2019 - 11:45
Posts: 186
Location: South Carolina
scosgt wrote:
I wish Amazon sold all the flashlights we love on Prime. Nothing like placing an order at 6 PM and having it in your hand at 3 PM the next day. Worth the $99 a year. For the speed and the free shipping.

$120 now. They jacked it up earlier this year.

Lightbringer
Lightbringer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 59 min ago
Joined: 08/30/2016 - 14:12
Posts: 9749
Location: nyc

Muto wrote:
After reading this article I kind of really feel for these small shipper firms, Amazon is really squeezing them;

Same with truckers. They’re limited by law as to how many hours they can drive, could be falling asleep at the wheel, say so to the dispatcher, and get told to either finish the run or don’t bother coming back.

That’s why you could almost always buy speed at any truck stop. Sick

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

BurningPlayd0h
BurningPlayd0h's picture
Online
Last seen: 12 min 34 sec ago
Joined: 06/22/2018 - 02:16
Posts: 834
Location: MN
chinooker wrote:
federal crime

Nope, the reporting is to Amazon’s own internal service.

Last I checked delivering mail to the correct mailbox isn’t a crime.

…unless it was marked as requiring signature? That could be a whole other situation AFAIK but still not sure it’s actually regulated by law.

DavidEF
DavidEF's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 22 min ago
Joined: 06/05/2014 - 06:00
Posts: 7674
Location: Salisbury, North Carolina, USA

Lightbringer wrote:
Muto wrote:
After reading this article I kind of really feel for these small shipper firms, Amazon is really squeezing them;

Same with truckers. They’re limited by law as to how many hours they can drive, could be falling asleep at the wheel, say so to the dispatcher, and get told to either finish the run or don’t bother coming back.

That’s why you could almost always buy speed at any truck stop. Sick


Yeah, I uh, might know a trucker who might have told me that he has to lie on his driver logs because of the laws about driving and resting. He maybe said that he couldn’t do his job if he tried to do it the way the law prescribes. Innocent

The Cycle of Goodness: “No one prospers without rendering benefit to others”
- The YKK Philosophy

jasontheguitarist
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 20 hours ago
Joined: 02/25/2019 - 11:45
Posts: 186
Location: South Carolina
BurningPlayd0h wrote:
chinooker wrote:
federal crime

Nope, the reporting is to Amazon’s own internal service.

Last I checked delivering mail to the correct mailbox isn’t a crime.

…unless it was marked as requiring signature? That could be a whole other situation AFAIK but still not sure it’s actually regulated by law.

It’s said to be a federal crime for anyone except the USPS to put stuff in a private mailbox.

Lightbringer
Lightbringer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 59 min ago
Joined: 08/30/2016 - 14:12
Posts: 9749
Location: nyc

Exactly. Maybe.

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

MtnDon
MtnDon's picture
Online
Last seen: 12 min 21 sec ago
Joined: 08/27/2015 - 18:25
Posts: 2467
Location: Canuk in NM

jasontheguitarist wrote:

It’s said to be a federal crime for anyone except the USPS to put stuff in a private mailbox.

Only items that have had USPS postage paid may be placed in a mailbox, and only by authorized personnel. Been that way for decades.

https://www.postaltimes.com/postalnews/it-is-illegal-to-put-non-stamped-...

https://about.usps.com/news/state-releases/tx/2010/tx_2010_0909.htm

As for Amazon, they are like many large US corporations; always trying to squeeze more work out of people for as little money as they can. Not concerned about the lives or welfare of emplyees and contractors. If Amazon has the ability, the control, to set the pace of the delivery drivers those drivers should be classed as Amazon employees, not contractors, and Amazon or its insurance should take the responsibility for accidents, etc.

BLF Member Map Add your name and location.

toddcshoe
toddcshoe's picture
Online
Last seen: 10 min 55 sec ago
Joined: 01/24/2018 - 23:49
Posts: 1986
Location: Foley, MO

Consider yourselves lucky folks. You are getting great Amazon deliveries. Here? They just never show up. Post as un-deliverable then fight for a refund that they want to give you as a gift card.

Why would I want a gift card to a place I don’t want to shop at. So I can use my gift card for another product that doesn’t show up and get yet another gift card? Nonsense. Had to have charge backs done on 6 different orders in the span of two weeks.

Haven’t ordered anything from Amazon since and sure don’t plan on it. I find I can usually get whatever I want on Ebay or elsewhere for maybe a dollar or two more, same price if I’m patient. Get this, it actually shows up. USPS and everything, in a real box, to my real address, by a real person. Funny to think that actually works.

I tell you, I think that whole Postal Service thing is catching on. Great idea them fellas had. Delivering a product across the country, in one piece, amazing. Good riddance Amazon, you won’t miss me and I surely won’t miss you.

"Everywhere I go, there I am"

raccoon city
raccoon city's picture
Offline
Last seen: 37 min 6 sec ago
Joined: 10/06/2010 - 02:35
Posts: 13320
Location: रॅकून सिटी Palm Desert CA USA

Some delivery people have trouble finding our place.

If you look at a map, it looks like there's two different path to our house.

The problem is that one path is extremely dangerous to take, and the delivery people sometimes freak out and think our package is undeliverable.

It hasn't happened very recently, but it is quite annoying.

neo71665
neo71665's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 days 4 hours ago
Joined: 02/21/2016 - 10:53
Posts: 189
Location: Arkansas

Yeah they have issues with finding my place too. Seems every gps system takes them to a spot 2 miles up the road. It’s to the point I left a sign on one of my fence posts saying my address is 2 miles down. UPS has finally gotten a regular driver now and he knows.

Joshk
Joshk's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 50 min ago
Joined: 09/09/2015 - 12:12
Posts: 1656
Location: USA

It’s about time UPS and FedEx got some competition.

freq
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 5 days ago
Joined: 07/05/2019 - 10:05
Posts: 34
Location: Pacific NW

not prime and usually opt for free… so typically the package takes a truck ride all over the continental united states like a retired tourist on a road trip…

BurningPlayd0h
BurningPlayd0h's picture
Online
Last seen: 12 min 34 sec ago
Joined: 06/22/2018 - 02:16
Posts: 834
Location: MN
jasontheguitarist wrote:
BurningPlayd0h wrote:
chinooker wrote:
federal crime

Nope, the reporting is to Amazon’s own internal service.

Last I checked delivering mail to the correct mailbox isn’t a crime.

…unless it was marked as requiring signature? That could be a whole other situation AFAIK but still not sure it’s actually regulated by law.

It’s said to be a federal crime for anyone except the USPS to put stuff in a private mailbox.

MtnDon wrote:
jasontheguitarist wrote:

It’s said to be a federal crime for anyone except the USPS to put stuff in a private mailbox.

Only items that have had USPS postage paid may be placed in a mailbox, and only by authorized personnel. Been that way for decades.

https://www.postaltimes.com/postalnews/it-is-illegal-to-put-non-stamped-...

https://about.usps.com/news/state-releases/tx/2010/tx_2010_0909.htm

As for Amazon, they are like many large US corporations; always trying to squeeze more work out of people for as little money as they can. Not concerned about the lives or welfare of emplyees and contractors. If Amazon has the ability, the control, to set the pace of the delivery drivers those drivers should be classed as Amazon employees, not contractors, and Amazon or its insurance should take the responsibility for accidents, etc.

Oh this is honestly great news, now I can tell the morons constantly putting flyers in mailboxes here to buzz off and have some real weight behind it. Evil

BlueSwordM
BlueSwordM's picture
Offline
Last seen: 38 min 37 sec ago
Joined: 11/29/2017 - 12:34
Posts: 5411
Location: Canada

One thing that carried should use for quick last mile deliveries are cargo e-bikes.

Not only would it make delivery much cheaper, but it would also be slightly quicker, have lower insurance rates, and be better for small deliveries.

My very own high current Beryllium Copper springs Gen 3:
http://budgetlightforum.com/node/67401
Liitokala Aliexpress Stores Battery Fraud: http://budgetlightforum.com/node/60547

Couchmaster
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 10 min ago
Joined: 05/04/2016 - 17:11
Posts: 213
Location: USA

Re: the link above: “ProPublica identified more than 60 accidents since June 2015 involving Amazon delivery contractors that resulted in serious injuries, including 10 deaths.” ZZZZzzzzzzzzz. 4 years? 10 deaths. That most likely translates to an excellent record given how many trucks and miles Amazon puts on.

The free shipping from China to the USA is still paid for by the US postal system. That’s why they feel free to ship you 2, 3 or 4 items air freight in multiple boxes from China. I had it happen yesterday with some Litokala chargers. I suspect that stupidity on the Americans part to give China a free ride is under discussion and will hopefully soon end. So stock up now:-)

pennzy
pennzy's picture
Offline
Last seen: 29 min 12 sec ago
Joined: 12/10/2017 - 19:45
Posts: 1409
Location: United States , Pa.

It’s already on the table.

Muto
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 31 min ago
Joined: 09/04/2012 - 16:42
Posts: 2068
Location: Southeast, PA

Couchmaster wrote:
Re: the link above: “ProPublica identified more than 60 accidents since June 2015 involving Amazon delivery contractors that resulted in serious injuries, including 10 deaths.” ZZZZzzzzzzzzz. 4 years? 10 deaths. That most likely translates to an excellent record given how many trucks and miles Amazon puts on.

The free shipping from China to the USA is still paid for by the US postal system. That’s why they feel free to ship you 2, 3 or 4 items air freight in multiple boxes from China. I had it happen yesterday with some Litokala chargers. I suspect that stupidity on the Americans part to give China a free ride is under discussion and will hopefully soon end. So stock up now:-)

So, are you all going to be fine with having to pay High shipping fees from China that are equal to what it cost to send a package to China from USA?

Watch what you wish for.

I look at it like this, there are a lot of things that my government spends my tax dollars that are a waste, so if some of our tax money is being used for us to buy direct from China and save money I’m cool with that. have no problem paying a small amount for shipping but not sky high rates.

Yes, they shouldn’t send 3 small packages when it can come in one package.
So there is work to be done there.
Thanks,
Peace out,

Keith

After the Apocalypse there will be only 2 things left alive, Cockroaches and Keith Richards
..
Rockin’ In Bedrock, Twitch, Twitch!
..
Big Sky Country

korpzgrinda
korpzgrinda's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 55 min ago
Joined: 01/09/2017 - 16:52
Posts: 343
Location: Eastern Woodlands in the Wilderness of North America
jasontheguitarist wrote:
Turns out they stuck the package in my mailbox and marked it as “handed directly to a resident”

I know some flex drivers. Sometimes they do it that way so they don’t hear any lip from some random. Or they will drop it at the door without ringing or knocking. They don’t have enough time to even say hello and be polite. Some person who is home alone all day would try to talk their ear off… or ask them to take a return back to the station, lazy bastids

scosgt
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 32 min ago
Joined: 07/03/2019 - 22:32
Posts: 526
Location: New York

I did an amazing return today. Did the online return form.
They sent a Q code to my phone
Took it to the local UPS store.
They took it, packed it, shipped it.
They gave me a receipt
Already got the refund.
I did not have to do anything except show up with the item.
Amazing

scosgt
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 32 min ago
Joined: 07/03/2019 - 22:32
Posts: 526
Location: New York

And the replacement showed up today!
10 years ago you could not begin to imagine ordering something from Dallas and having it in your hands 18 hours later in New York, with no shipping charges.
They have changed the world in ways that rival almost anything that has ever been done before.
10 years from now they will probably have a space plane that brings goods from China to NY the next day.

BurningPlayd0h
BurningPlayd0h's picture
Online
Last seen: 12 min 34 sec ago
Joined: 06/22/2018 - 02:16
Posts: 834
Location: MN
korpzgrinda wrote:
jasontheguitarist wrote:
Turns out they stuck the package in my mailbox and marked it as “handed directly to a resident”

I know some flex drivers. Sometimes they do it that way so they don’t hear any lip from some random. Or they will drop it at the door without ringing or knocking. They don’t have enough time to even say hello and be polite. Some person who is home alone all day would try to talk their ear off… or ask them to take a return back to the station, lazy bastids

The only time I ever have a delivery driver for a major shipping company or USPS call me to the door is when they need a signature. And UPS is the only one that knocks or rings the doorbell if they don’t need a sig, by the time I get there the truck is already pulling away.

IDK why I would have a problem with this, they are getting paid to deliver packages, not to be a friend to wordy homebodies.

Newlumen
Newlumen's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 16 min ago
Joined: 05/27/2017 - 00:19
Posts: 2087
Location: United states

I am super amazed with the amazon. I ordered a range hood on Sunday, sept 1st. I received it on sept 3rd Tuesday.. that’s basically 1 business day. I am not a prime member.. amazon is doing great..