XHP35 thrower with a similar beam profile to Acebeam L16/EC60?

12 posts / 0 new
Last post
Aprilis
Aprilis's picture
Online
Last seen: 12 min 14 sec ago
Joined: 06/29/2019 - 23:31
Posts: 61
Location: St. Petersburg
XHP35 thrower with a similar beam profile to Acebeam L16/EC60?

Hi BLF.

I am trying to find a decent thrower that has similar beam profile(hotspot size, flood and throw) to Acebeam L16/EC60 but doesn't have built in USB port. 

 

Could somebody advise a flashlight that meets this requirements?

bmengineer
bmengineer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 44 min ago
Joined: 01/26/2018 - 11:38
Posts: 771
Location: Ontario, Canada

I don’t have an L16, but it should be reasonably similar to the Dobermann Pro.

Find all my reviews of flashlights and more gear at www.bmengineer.com

Yokiamy
Yokiamy's picture
Online
Last seen: 11 min 42 sec ago
Joined: 10/18/2016 - 15:47
Posts: 1715
Location: Netherlands

Convoy L21a with XHP35 hi

Budget Light Forum ...where Frugal meets with Flashlight!

 

WTS BLF GT

 

Anthon
Offline
Last seen: 21 min 19 sec ago
Joined: 09/07/2015 - 10:33
Posts: 541
bmengineer wrote:
I don’t have an L16, but it should be reasonably similar to the Dobermann Pro.

I have both and they are quite different

L16 has a bigger spill, 500lms more and 200m more throw

Aprilis
Aprilis's picture
Online
Last seen: 12 min 14 sec ago
Joined: 06/29/2019 - 23:31
Posts: 61
Location: St. Petersburg

Yokiamy wrote:
Convoy L21a with XHP35 hi

Have you tried this mod? L21a has a relatively big reflector, much bigger than L16/EC60. I may be wrong, but L21a modded with XHP35 will have a way more intense and focused beam than L16/EC60.
BurningPlayd0h
BurningPlayd0h's picture
Offline
Last seen: 18 hours 24 min ago
Joined: 06/22/2018 - 02:16
Posts: 690
Location: MN

Does it need XHP35? Convoy M1 w/X-PL HI (throwier) or M21B w/SST-40 (floodier but more output) should be somehwat similar. Otherwise Sofirn and Convoy both have XHP35 versions of the C8. Sofirn’s might have USB charging though.

Yokiamy
Yokiamy's picture
Online
Last seen: 11 min 42 sec ago
Joined: 10/18/2016 - 15:47
Posts: 1715
Location: Netherlands
Aprilis wrote:
Yokiamy wrote:
Convoy L21a with XHP35 hi
Have you tried this mod? L21a has a relatively big reflector, much bigger than L16/EC60. I may be wrong, but L21a modded with XHP35 will have a way more intense and focused beam than L16/EC60.

Well, it is not a mod, Simon recently has listed it in his AE store, but it looks like it’s been overlooked by most people

https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/4000056253432.html?spm=a2g0z.12010612.814...

With 10% discount from Simon it’s only a couple of dollars more then the FT03 which most of the people are buying

Budget Light Forum ...where Frugal meets with Flashlight!

 

WTS BLF GT

 

Yokiamy
Yokiamy's picture
Online
Last seen: 11 min 42 sec ago
Joined: 10/18/2016 - 15:47
Posts: 1715
Location: Netherlands

BurningPlayd0h wrote:
Otherwise Sofirn and Convoy both have XHP35 versions of the C8. Sofirn’s might have USB charging though.

As far as i know convoy does not have a XHP35 version of the C8, unless it’s just recently released

Budget Light Forum ...where Frugal meets with Flashlight!

 

WTS BLF GT

 

BurningPlayd0h
BurningPlayd0h's picture
Offline
Last seen: 18 hours 24 min ago
Joined: 06/22/2018 - 02:16
Posts: 690
Location: MN
Yokiamy wrote:
BurningPlayd0h wrote:
Otherwise Sofirn and Convoy both have XHP35 versions of the C8. Sofirn’s might have USB charging though.
As far as i know convoy does not have a XHP35 version of the C8, unless it’s just recently released

Whoops, looks like you’re right and I was thinking of their SST-40 version which I’ve seen compared to the Sofirn C8G. It could still work but only available with the 6500K SST-40 from the look of it. Simon would probably install a different temp in the light if requested though anyway.

Aprilis
Aprilis's picture
Online
Last seen: 12 min 14 sec ago
Joined: 06/29/2019 - 23:31
Posts: 61
Location: St. Petersburg

BurningPlayd0h wrote:
Does it need XHP35? Convoy M1 w/X-PL HI (throwier) or M21B w/SST-40 (floodier but more output) should be somehwat similar. Otherwise Sofirn and Convoy both have XHP35 versions of the C8. Sofirn’s might have USB charging though.

Yes, XHP35 is preferable because it’s more efficient on high output modes and uses boost driver. I also put emphasis on EC60/L16 beam profile because unlike many other throwers it gives more or less good visibility at close-medium range.
Yokiamy wrote:

Well, it is not a mod, Simon recently has listed it in his AE store, but it looks like it’s been overlooked by most people

https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/4000056253432.html?spm=a2g0z.12010612.814...

With 10% discount from Simon it’s only a couple of dollars more then the FT03 which most of the people are buying


Thanks for clarifying. Looks like a great thrower, especially in terms of price, but unfortunately that’s not what I am looking for. With a reflector that is this big L21A most likely will have a super tight hotspot and hit over 100kcd intensity mark.
Just in case, could you tell me how I can get 10% discount from Simon’s store? Innocent
BurningPlayd0h
BurningPlayd0h's picture
Offline
Last seen: 18 hours 24 min ago
Joined: 06/22/2018 - 02:16
Posts: 690
Location: MN

Aprilis wrote:
BurningPlayd0h wrote:
Does it need XHP35? Convoy M1 w/X-PL HI (throwier) or M21B w/SST-40 (floodier but more output) should be somehwat similar. Otherwise Sofirn and Convoy both have XHP35 versions of the C8. Sofirn’s might have USB charging though.

Yes, XHP35 is preferable because it’s more efficient on high output modes and uses boost driver. I also put emphasis on EC60/L16 beam profile because unlike many other throwers it gives more or less good visibility at close-medium range.
Yokiamy wrote:

Well, it is not a mod, Simon recently has listed it in his AE store, but it looks like it’s been overlooked by most people

https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/4000056253432.html?spm=a2g0z.12010612.814...

With 10% discount from Simon it’s only a couple of dollars more then the FT03 which most of the people are buying


Thanks for clarifying. Looks like a great thrower, especially in terms of price, but unfortunately that’s not what I am looking for. With a reflector that is this big L21A most likely will have a super tight hotspot and hit over 100kcd intensity mark.
Just in case, could you tell me how I can get 10% discount from Simon’s store? Innocent

At 2200 lumens you’re looking at about 95 vs 89 lm/W for XHP35 (HD) vs SST-40 respectively. Boost drivers are great when they work as advertised, but based on recent tests the ones stepping up 1 cell to 12V seem to struggle. XHP35 HD and SST-40 have fairlly similar… relative or “optical” size I think the term is? The beam will be very close in profile:

KevinZA1988
KevinZA1988's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 23 min ago
Joined: 02/26/2018 - 02:26
Posts: 621
Location: South Africa

I had a Acebeam L16. A XHP35 HI in a Convoy L2/L21A has a much narrower beam. A XHP35 HI in a C8+/M21A has a very similar beam. The problem is the driver….. The C8+ takes a 17mm driver, the M21A takes a 20mm driver. If you have someone that can machine and thread it to 22mm then you can just use the Convoy or Kaidomain boost driver. Or be patient and spend more money on the 17/20mm boost driver from Mountain Electronics.

Or just use the 5000K SST-40 Convoy M21A with a LDx4 7-9 Amp driver from led4power.com. It’s a bit more floody than the L16, but brighter. Also, forward clicky tactical switch similar to the L16. I enjoy it so much that I gave my L16 to my dad and built another M21A. I have one in my car and in my house. I set the driver so that it always turns on in high mode (7A “turbo). The 21700 cell is also a major advantage in such a powerful light.

Edit: For more throw, I also recommend this mod in the L21A with a 20mm driver adapter. It just depends on what you want to do. The M21A is a lot more pocket friendly though.

BLF Q8, BLF A6, BLF FW3A, BLF FW3C, Convoy L2, Convoy L6, Convoy C8+ , Convoy S3, Convoy M21A, Convoy S11, Emisar D4, Fireflies E07, Jaxman E2L, Olight S1R Baton II special edition series, S2R Baton II, Nitecore HC65, Olight H1R Nova.