BLF Lantern Purchase/Followup Information - Group Buy list is Closed!!!!

317 posts / 0 new
Last post

Pages

sbslider
sbslider's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 4 days ago
Joined: 01/22/2017 - 13:41
Posts: 1555
Location: United States

Yes, I was expecting SigShooter to see this and update as appropriate.

PocketSammich wrote: I don’t need this, but I want it. Please sign me up.

DBSAR
DBSAR's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 5 min ago
Joined: 02/11/2013 - 23:28
Posts: 6263
Location: Ontario, Canada
sbslider wrote:
Yes, I was expecting SigShooter to see this and update as appropriate.

I did update the tittle too in the main LT1 topic.

That Canadian flashlight guy & Lantern Guru -Den / DBSARlight

SIGShooter
SIGShooter's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 26 min ago
Joined: 07/14/2013 - 02:10
Posts: 1937
Location: northern california

sbslider wrote:
Yes, I was expecting SigShooter to see this and update as appropriate.
Just saw this and I’ll update it along with other pertinent info Smile

9mm/40cal/45cal bullets and large/small pistol primers available for sale in San Francisco Bay area

sunsethiker
Offline
Last seen: 3 days 11 hours ago
Joined: 05/26/2019 - 22:37
Posts: 39

Ordered 11.11 sale and recieved Dec 20th. Great light and thanks to all involved.

sbslider
sbslider's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 4 days ago
Joined: 01/22/2017 - 13:41
Posts: 1555
Location: United States

I ordered one on 11/19 and its due to deliver tomorrow. Just in time for my son’s Christmas present. Thumbs Up

PocketSammich wrote: I don’t need this, but I want it. Please sign me up.

DBSAR
DBSAR's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 5 min ago
Joined: 02/11/2013 - 23:28
Posts: 6263
Location: Ontario, Canada
sbslider wrote:
I ordered one on 11/19 and its due to deliver tomorrow. Just in time for my son’s Christmas present. Thumbs Up

Hope it arrives in time! Thumbs Up Big Smile

That Canadian flashlight guy & Lantern Guru -Den / DBSARlight

sunsethiker
Offline
Last seen: 3 days 11 hours ago
Joined: 05/26/2019 - 22:37
Posts: 39

My light has the bail aligned with switch but no SOS. Bought light from the 11.11 sale.

So the question is, how big was the 2nd batch and when will colours and SOS be available.

Would love to see the time on sunset reduced from one hour to 5 minutes. There is a 30 minute plus timer on candle mode so a shorter timer somewhere would provide more diversity on settings.

whitecitadel
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 1 week ago
Joined: 12/30/2014 - 05:58
Posts: 92
Location: UK

You can re-program it yourself if you want to add SOS or future updates. Need to read around, but you need the PCB from oshpark, the USB programmer from fasttech and some pogo pins – cost is not massive I think it was all < $10/€10/£10 delivered (still waiting for some of it to arrive).

See the main thread on colours, looks like issues with anodising company and no time soon, which is a shame as I am waiting with my 2nd code for colours…

f0xx
f0xx's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 1 hour ago
Joined: 02/27/2019 - 18:44
Posts: 433
Location: Near Dallas, Texas

whitecitadel wrote:
You can re-program it yourself if you want to add SOS or future updates. Need to read around, but you need the PCB from oshpark, the USB programmer from fasttech and some pogo pins – cost is not massive I think it was all < $10/€10/£10 delivered (still waiting for some of it to arrive).

See the main thread on colours, looks like issues with anodising company and no time soon, which is a shame as I am waiting with my 2nd code for colours…


Or, if you have an SOIC8 clip, you can pull the driver out and flash it from the top side.
whitecitadel
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 1 week ago
Joined: 12/30/2014 - 05:58
Posts: 92
Location: UK

f0xx wrote:

Or, if you have an SOIC8 clip, you can pull the driver out and flash it from the top side.

That was a step too far for my experimentation Wink

f0xx
f0xx's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 1 hour ago
Joined: 02/27/2019 - 18:44
Posts: 433
Location: Near Dallas, Texas

whitecitadel wrote:
f0xx wrote:

Or, if you have an SOIC8 clip, you can pull the driver out and flash it from the top side.

That was a step too far for my experimentation Wink

I have the bits for my programming key, but I haven’t yet found the time to put it together. Apart from assembly, this is the easy way.

The SOIC8 clip method isn’t too bad where I’ve used it, but my Emisar lights with the first party programming key are my favorite to flash by far. I’m glad development has moved in this direction.

wahoowad
wahoowad's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 5 days ago
Joined: 12/03/2012 - 22:50
Posts: 523
Location: VA

I have a question about the mechanical lockout. Today I inserted my 4 Sofirm-supplied cells and began screwing the base into the head. There was some flickering of the light in the midpoint of screwing it in indicating current flow. I then tightened it normally, the button light came on, then I unscrewed it a quarter turn and the mechanical lockout kicked in and the button light went off.

But is this truly preventing any current flow if I saw some flickering earlier?

       
       
Tom E
Tom E's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 56 min ago
Joined: 08/19/2012 - 08:23
Posts: 12682
Location: LI NY

Sofirn's, from the first Q8's, hasn't had the best anodizing on the threads. If there's some bare spots, that would explain the flickering.

wahoowad
wahoowad's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 5 days ago
Joined: 12/03/2012 - 22:50
Posts: 523
Location: VA
Tom E wrote:

Sofirn’s, from the first Q8’s, hasn’t had the best anodizing on the threads. If there’s some bare spots, that would explain the flickering.

Does that mean the mechanical lockout is bypassed?

       
       
Rexlion
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 52 min ago
Joined: 05/18/2019 - 16:59
Posts: 349
Location: Okla.
wahoowad wrote:
Tom E wrote:

Sofirn’s, from the first Q8’s, hasn’t had the best anodizing on the threads. If there’s some bare spots, that would explain the flickering.

Does that mean the mechanical lockout is bypassed?

It might depend on where you stop unscrewing it. Easy to test. If you unscrew a ways and push the switch and nothing happens, it’s locked out at that point.
Tom E
Tom E's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 56 min ago
Joined: 08/19/2012 - 08:23
Posts: 12682
Location: LI NY

Rexlion wrote:
wahoowad wrote:
Tom E wrote:

Sofirn's, from the first Q8's, hasn't had the best anodizing on the threads. If there's some bare spots, that would explain the flickering.

Does that mean the mechanical lockout is bypassed?
It might depend on where you stop unscrewing it. Easy to test. +If+ you unscrew a ways and push the switch and nothing happens, it's locked out at that point.

It's bypassed during the flicker. for this particular setup, your threads have to be fully covered with anodizing, if not and there's bare aluminum random spots, you will see the flicker. Believe me this was a pain in the beginning. I had to change the firmware for the BLF Q8 to compensate for it - the constant intermittent voltage connections during the threading would mess up the firmware, til I used a special mode to fix it - think it was a fuse setting, forgot which.

The cause is just a poor anodizing coating. Anodizing is a electrical insulator so any gaps defeat the insulation. Sofirn has been like this all along - I haven't seen one Sofirn light with decent anodizing. They all say "HAIII military grade hard-anodized" but it's far from the truth. Compare it to a MaxToch light, for example. Even some of the Amutorch lights I got have that deep penetrating type of anodizing - difficult to sand away.

So do we love the Sofirn prices? Of course we do! This is the BudgetLightForum after all smile. Would we be willing to pay for a better anodizing? Maybe some of us would, dunno. I was told by a Maxtoch rep the higher grade coatings are pricey.

Pages