Ultimate LED Bulbs - Ultra High CRI - The Honorable Quest

294 posts / 0 new
Last post
SunLike
SunLike's picture
Offline
Last seen: 14 hours 51 min ago
Joined: 11/05/2019 - 17:44
Posts: 104
Location: MORDOR
Joshk wrote:
fneuf wrote:

Just found an interesting high-level article, speaking about SOL and SAW differences, and doing that using some of Adam’s product offering.


PS : by the way Adam, are you Ukrainian or Belarusian ?

This SOL/SAW thing is confusing. Tell me if this is right or not:

SAW = Original by “Seoul Semiconductor” (Sunlike product line) in Korea
SOL = Better/cheaper by “Smart Eco Lightning” in China


SOL is cheaper, but now… Now they try to charge additional 10% fee from me (like for samples). And now there is cheap 3030 TRI-R SunLike leds. So, I can not say that it is cheaper, but in my web-site it is still more cheaper (8$ and 5$ per 1pcs 6w).

Better in what? I think, that spectrum of SOL and SAW is almost the same, you will not feell the diferense. But what about time of life with the same good spectrum? IF we have only violet crystals, even if some % of luminofor will die, it will be violet peak, SORAA have violet peak, Yuji leds have violet peak, and it is ok. If some % of luminofor will die in SOL? What type of luminofor will die first? And thrue what spectrum? 450nm (blue) will kill luminofor faster than violet? It will with 450nm peak after death of some % of luminofor? It is the questions, why I can not say that SOL (ChinaSunLike) is better that SAW (TRI-R)

BelMORDOR’s Ламповщик|Lampman

Barkuti
Barkuti's picture
Offline
Last seen: 36 min 49 sec ago
Joined: 02/19/2014 - 14:46
Posts: 4407
Location: Alhama de Murcia, Spain

SunLike, did you think about Vf binning the emitters you use and sorting them in packs for more balanced parallel current sharing? Any modern cheap multimeter can provide an accurate Vf figure. But since your leds are well thermally coupled, this may not matter much.

Are SunLike (SAW/SOL) emitters available through any of the cheap sites (eBay/AliExpress)? Didn't care to look for them yet.

SunLike
SunLike's picture
Offline
Last seen: 14 hours 51 min ago
Joined: 11/05/2019 - 17:44
Posts: 104
Location: MORDOR

Barkuti wrote:

SunLike, did you think about Vf binning the emitters you use and sorting them in packs for more balanced parallel current sharing? Any modern cheap multimeter can provide an accurate Vf figure. But since your leds are well thermally coupled, this may not matter much.


Are SunLike (SAW/SOL) emitters available through any of the cheap sites (eBay/AliExpress)? Didn’t care to look for them yet.


About SunLike (TRI-R SAW). They want to have only 1 dealer per 1 country and 2-3 indernational dealers (for example avnet.com)

There is day of produse on SOLs leds. I have no any additional information about it. But I try to parrallel leds from the same batch. They have no shop on ebay/aliexpress/taobao/alibabe or etc. They have web-site (SmartEcoLightning say from Adam for good price)

BelMORDOR’s Ламповщик|Lampman

Joshk
Joshk's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 29 min ago
Joined: 09/09/2015 - 12:12
Posts: 1803
Location: USA
SunLike wrote:
Joshk wrote:
fneuf wrote:

Just found an interesting high-level article, speaking about SOL and SAW differences, and doing that using some of Adam’s product offering.


PS : by the way Adam, are you Ukrainian or Belarusian ?

This SOL/SAW thing is confusing. Tell me if this is right or not:

SAW = Original by “Seoul Semiconductor” (Sunlike product line) in Korea
SOL = Better/cheaper by “Smart Eco Lightning” in China


SOL is cheaper, but now… Now they try to charge additional 10% fee from me (like for samples). And now there is cheap 3030 TRI-R SunLike leds. So, I can not say that it is cheaper, but in my web-site it is still more cheaper (8$ and 5$ per 1pcs 6w).

Better in what? I think, that spectrum of SOL and SAW is almost the same, you will not feell the diferense. But what about time of life with the same good spectrum? IF we have onyly violet crystals, even if some % of luminofor will die, it will be violet peak, SORAA have violet peak, Yuji leds have violet peak, and it is ok. If some % of luminofor will die in SOL? What type of luminofor will die first? And thrue what spectrum? 450nm (blue) will kill luminofor faster than violet? It will with 450nm peak after death of some % of luminofor? It is the questions, why I can not say that SOL (ChinaSunLike) is better that SAW (TRI-R)

Thanks. I’m just happy the statements were not backwards Smile So how about this:

SAW = Original by “Seoul Semiconductor” in Korea (Sunlike product line using TRI-R technology)
SOL = Competitor by “Smart Eco Lightning” in China

bobflux
Offline
Last seen: 23 hours 2 min ago
Joined: 12/11/2018 - 14:15
Posts: 11
Location: France

Hello everyone! I’ve found several new interesting bulbs from Osram. Also they have added a “Search by CRI” feature on their website which can be accessed by clicking on “Show all filters” in the search form

Osram 4058075134485 – 8W 2700K 95CRI E27 Filament bulb — about 6€ — 806lm

I’ve tried it. Nice thing with filament bulbs is they emit light pretty much in every direction. This one is still a bit directional, in the opposite fashion to a usual LED bulb with diffuser which emits more towards the front. This bulb emits more light towards the sides. Much better for a fixture like this one where the bulb is viewed from the sides, but pretty bad for a suspension.

It is dimmable and doesn’t flicker. As far as color rendering goes, it proudly displays “CRI95” on the box… But it’s 2700K and I find that much too yellow. I prefer 3000K.

Osram 4058075095366 – 5.9W 3000K 90CRI GU10 36° Spot2.81€ — 350lm

I tried this one. It looks pretty good. Nice 3000K light with no tint at all, looks even a bit better than the Philips 90CRI “LEDspot MV Value GU10 4.9W 930 36D” (this is not the ExpertColor). I don’t know if they will last but I’m recommending it if you want really decent looking GU10 spots at a low price. There are 230lm and 575lm versions and another 5.5W 350lm version which I didn’t try.

Osram 4058075095403 – 6.5W 3000K 97CRI GU10 36° Spot3.41€ — 350lm

This seems to be Osram’s answer to Philips Expertcolor GU10 spot… but look at the price! I’m going to order some to try them out.

There are also other models at 230lm and 575lm.

Osram website does show the spectrum and even the type of LEDs used in the two spots… you have to click on “graphics and application images”. Spectrum looks extremely close to ExpertColor.

In the 90CRI Osram spot, the lens at the front is held by three tiny plastic legs which can easily be popped off, exposing the LEDs… it is a bit flimsy and totally not waterproof, but this could actually be useful, as it means the spot can be modded., maybe with another lens for example. I’ve tried replacing the lens with a round diffuser (ie, a frosted plastic christmas decoration) and it makes a neat 3000K GU10 bulb. Output is a bit low at 350lm though.

Jerommel
Jerommel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 7 min ago
Joined: 01/04/2014 - 13:18
Posts: 5826
Location: the Hague, Netherlands

djozz wrote:
If this type of lighting ever takes off you can recognise BLF folks by a minus-green chimney Big Smile
LOL Big Smile Party Thumbs Up

2Q19

Jerommel
Jerommel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 7 min ago
Joined: 01/04/2014 - 13:18
Posts: 5826
Location: the Hague, Netherlands

I have built a couple of E27 bulbs with a single Nichia E21 2000K not too long ago.
I’ll have a look if my Imgur account is still alive, so i can share some pics.

But my Ultimate LED bulb would be something like this:

Omnidirectional ‘normal’ looking E27 pear with frosted glass.

Someone here linked to it:
https://www.ledvance.com/professional/products/lamps/led-lamps/professio...

Not clear to me where to buy them though.. (anyone know?)

But these are LED filament bulbs, obviously.
I really like the concept, but i’m always curious about how hot the filaments get, since they have zero heat path.

I don’t understand why LED filament bulbs are usually clear glass.
Frosted is much better.

2Q19

bobflux
Offline
Last seen: 23 hours 2 min ago
Joined: 12/11/2018 - 14:15
Posts: 11
Location: France
Jerommel wrote:
I have built a couple of E27 bulbs with a single Nichia E21 2000K not too long ago. I’ll have a look if my Imgur account is still alive, so i can share some pics.

Please share Wink

> Someone here linked to it … Not clear to me where to buy them though.. (anyone know?)

Click on the price link in my post above. The website is in French, but it ships from Netherlands. I don’t know why… there’s always google translate… Also you can search for the ref “Osram 4058075134485” and you’ll find shops.

Note I don’t like 2700K at all so I don’t like this bulb. But if you do like 2700K and you want 95CRI, it’s quite cheap.

> I really like the concept, but i’m always curious about how hot the filaments get, since they have zero heat path.

The bulb is filled with gas at higher than atmospheric pressure that transfers heat by convection. Not vacuum like an incandescent bulb… However, convection carries heat upwards, so if it is mounted in a luminaire with the glass bulb upwards, the top of the bulb will be hot and electronics in the cap will be cool. If it is mounted with the glass bulb pointing down, electronics in the cap will cook. These lightbulbs are not really built to last…

> I don’t understand why LED filament bulbs are usually clear glass. Frosted is much better.

If the bulb is visible then frosted is much better. If the luminaire has a frosted glass diffuser then the bulb does not need to be frosted. For wall mounted luminaires (example ), the bulb throws half its light output at the wall. The back of the luminaire is usually white or reflective so it reflects light back through the clear bulb and into the diffuser in the front. Taking this into account, a clear bulb will be much brighter than a frosted one.

In fact for a wall-mounted luminaire, a bulb that throws all the light to the front with a heatsink at the back would be nice… but that wouldn’t sell because once you screw it in, most likely it will end up in the wrong orientation.

Jerommel
Jerommel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 7 min ago
Joined: 01/04/2014 - 13:18
Posts: 5826
Location: the Hague, Netherlands

I don’t think frosting or even white powder on the inside costs a lot of Lumen.
Maybe you know / remember the Philips Argenta Tungsten bulbs of the past?

2Q19

Jerommel
Jerommel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 7 min ago
Joined: 01/04/2014 - 13:18
Posts: 5826
Location: the Hague, Netherlands
bobflux wrote:
Jerommel wrote:
I have built a couple of E27 bulbs with a single Nichia E21 2000K not too long ago. I’ll have a look if my Imgur account is still alive, so i can share some pics.

Please share Wink

> Someone here linked to it … Not clear to me where to buy them though.. (anyone know?)

Click on the price link in my post above. The website is in French, but it ships from Netherlands. I don’t know why…


I think i found out why:

https://www.lampdirect.nl/sr?manufacturer=Osram&product_type=E27%20LED%2...

2Q19

maukka
maukka's picture
Offline
Last seen: 21 min 39 sec ago
Joined: 12/31/2015 - 04:15
Posts: 2020
Location: Finland

Sunlike SOL bulb has landed!

Size comparison to a 60W incandescent.

djozz
djozz's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 45 min ago
Joined: 09/07/2012 - 17:04
Posts: 16144
Location: Amsterdam

Wow, that looks like a proper DIY project, using both new and re-used parts. Cool

Jerommel
Jerommel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 7 min ago
Joined: 01/04/2014 - 13:18
Posts: 5826
Location: the Hague, Netherlands

You can get that kind of hosts here cheap:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32874377628.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.7...
Just remove the crappy intestines.

2Q19

maukka
maukka's picture
Offline
Last seen: 21 min 39 sec ago
Joined: 12/31/2015 - 04:15
Posts: 2020
Location: Finland

Sunlikelamp.com SOL bulb review here:
http://budgetlightforum.com/node/70422

Includes source data for the individual R values too Wink

Jerommel
Jerommel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 7 min ago
Joined: 01/04/2014 - 13:18
Posts: 5826
Location: the Hague, Netherlands

Joshk wrote:

Thanks. I’m just happy the statements were not backwards Smile So how about this:

SAW = Original by “Seoul Semiconductor” in Korea (Sunlike product line using TRI-R technology)
SOL = Competitor by “Smart Eco Lightning” in China

Ah, i see.

2Q19

fneuf
fneuf's picture
Offline
Last seen: 11 hours 2 min ago
Joined: 10/30/2017 - 16:57
Posts: 140
Location: Lyon, France

maukka wrote:
Sunlike SOL bulb has landed! Size comparison to a 60W incandescent. !https://i.imgur.com/LEXM76a.jpg!:https://i.imgur.com/LEXM76a.jpg

 

This is terrific news! Now my morning routine is completely ruined, I just starting reading your review maukka laughing

Rise and Shine my precious...

fneuf
fneuf's picture
Offline
Last seen: 11 hours 2 min ago
Joined: 10/30/2017 - 16:57
Posts: 140
Location: Lyon, France

And here are the results: ranked #1, #2, #3 & #7 in the Ultimate LED Bulbs table. Quite the jackpot!

cool

Rise and Shine my precious...

SunLike
SunLike's picture
Offline
Last seen: 14 hours 51 min ago
Joined: 11/05/2019 - 17:44
Posts: 104
Location: MORDOR

maukka wrote:
Sunlikelamp.com SOL bulb review here:
http://budgetlightforum.com/node/70422

Includes source data for the individual R values too Wink


thanks! It is my baby! =)

BelMORDOR’s Ламповщик|Lampman

SunLike
SunLike's picture
Offline
Last seen: 14 hours 51 min ago
Joined: 11/05/2019 - 17:44
Posts: 104
Location: MORDOR

Jerommel wrote:
You can get that kind of hosts here cheap:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32874377628.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.7...
Just remove the crappy intestines.

Do not buy on aliexpress led bulb kits! Buy on taobao!

There is one big problem with led bulb kits from aliexpress seller what I find. Plastic thing (where E27 carving). This plastic will die and crumble (turn into dust, will cracked) after about 6 month =( That was the reason why I bought 3d printer. I will do this part from poliuretan plastic. From taobao sellers it is still alive =) But I do not want to repeating this situation. It must work 20-35 years in my lamps!

BelMORDOR’s Ламповщик|Lampman

Jerommel
Jerommel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 7 min ago
Joined: 01/04/2014 - 13:18
Posts: 5826
Location: the Hague, Netherlands

Thanks for the warning.
But who is to say the ones i linked to are made from the same crappy plastic?
I guess time will tell…

2Q19

SunLike
SunLike's picture
Offline
Last seen: 14 hours 51 min ago
Joined: 11/05/2019 - 17:44
Posts: 104
Location: MORDOR

Jerommel wrote:
Thanks for the warning.
But who is to say the ones i linked to are made from the same crappy plastic?
I guess time will tell…

When it is new, it is impossible to know crappy or not =(

BelMORDOR’s Ламповщик|Lampman

BlueSwordM
BlueSwordM's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 5 min ago
Joined: 11/29/2017 - 12:34
Posts: 5461
Location: Canada

If you really want something overkill, here is what I ordered:
https://shop.tbfocus.com/item.php?id=18603492069#3497744845763

My very own high current Beryllium Copper springs Gen 3:
http://budgetlightforum.com/node/67401
Liitokala Aliexpress Stores Battery Fraud: http://budgetlightforum.com/node/60547

elwood
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 23 min ago
Joined: 11/28/2016 - 21:49
Posts: 19
Location: United States

Does anyone plan on reviewing high CRI LED tubes? The kind you replace fluorescent bulbs with. I have two 48” fixtures in my living room and would like to get some high CRI tubes to put in them. Or maybe i should just change the fixtures?

bobflux
Offline
Last seen: 23 hours 2 min ago
Joined: 12/11/2018 - 14:15
Posts: 11
Location: France

The fins on these heatsinks are too tight. Convection cooling works better with wider spacing between fins… but this is taobao, so they probably go by “more fins better” Facepalm

I’ve made a pendant light.

This is a lampshade from the store, 4 ExpertColor 3000K spots, some accessories, and a round piece of acrylic diffuser with a patterned “bumpy” side. I frosted the other side. It works very well and makes a beautiful soft diffused light. Sure it is a bit weird to use GU10 spots to make what is basically a big softbox, but… that’s what I had on hand and I really like the tone from these. They’re perfect to light the dining table. I think I’m going to make another with Sunlike LEDs.

cetary
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 48 min ago
Joined: 10/28/2018 - 20:41
Posts: 112
Location: virginia

I think we might have a winner on this one , 95 CRI minimum, 84 R9 minimum, 2200K CCT, and BBL tint.

SunLike
SunLike's picture
Offline
Last seen: 14 hours 51 min ago
Joined: 11/05/2019 - 17:44
Posts: 104
Location: MORDOR

cetary wrote:
I think we might have a winner on this one , 95 CRI minimum, 84 R9 minimum, 2200K CCT, and BBL tint.

no =)
this is the winner in low CCT (2700-2800k) Hat
0.5$ per 1pcs Cash
CRI:99-100 CQS:99-100
But I made glass mated by myself
If add diode (or low voltage) – it will be more low CCT


BelMORDOR’s Ламповщик|Lampman

cetary
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 48 min ago
Joined: 10/28/2018 - 20:41
Posts: 112
Location: virginia

If you did one of your sun-likes in 2200K-2500K I’d buy it. Wink I’d actually really like the 2500K to match Philips SDW-T, white sodium.

SunLike
SunLike's picture
Offline
Last seen: 14 hours 51 min ago
Joined: 11/05/2019 - 17:44
Posts: 104
Location: MORDOR

cetary wrote:
If you did one of your sun-likes in 2200K-2500K I’d buy it. Wink I’d actually really like the 2500K to match Philips SDW-T, white sodium.

Now I can only try to use most white cover for led bulb (white milk from Chinese language). But it will be 2500-2600k with 2700k led.
I already contact with SmartEcoLightning co (SOL manufacturer), they say that 2000pcs if I want 2300k. I have no so much money for this =(

About bedtimebulb.com

They have awesome web-site, but shit product for 20$. I mean that they almost ordinary filament bub is shit. It will work about 1 year, because there is no any cooling system for crystals.

BelMORDOR’s Ламповщик|Lampman

Jerommel
Jerommel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 7 min ago
Joined: 01/04/2014 - 13:18
Posts: 5826
Location: the Hague, Netherlands

I think my bed time bulb is better.
Oh yes, i was gonna post some pics.
“i’ll be back”

2Q19

SunLike
SunLike's picture
Offline
Last seen: 14 hours 51 min ago
Joined: 11/05/2019 - 17:44
Posts: 104
Location: MORDOR

BlueSwordM wrote:
If you really want something overkill, here is what I ordered:
https://shop.tbfocus.com/item.php?id=18603492069#3497744845763

almost 2 years ago I bought from this seller 3 pcs “7w wide” kits. I liked it. Month ago I ordered 120pcs for SunLike ∞ model (8w cheap model for 11€ per 1pcs if ~25pcs – up to 2kg with package), also I designed and ordered 300pcs alluminium pcb boards for this model with 12pcs 3030 TRI-R SunLike (SAW) leds. Actually, it is one place in all internet where I find this led bulb’s bodies.



p.s. D120mm is more overkill than D95mm led bub body Cool

BelMORDOR’s Ламповщик|Lampman

Pages