K75 driver

28 posts / 0 new
Last post
grin
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 56 min ago
Joined: 01/05/2019 - 09:15
Posts: 368
Location: Hunter Valley, Australia
K75 driver

I dismantled my K75. I had to drill the glue out of the driver retaining screws. Then used a small masonry drill to get them out.





LED current measured with fluke 376FC
Low .5A 2.5v
Mid .8A
Mid 2.7A
High 5.9A
Turbo 28.7A 3.5v
Is the crimp lug for MCU? Or because it is screwed to the body a temperature sensor?
Are the components under the thermal transfer compound FETs?
Some more photos of the LED and isolator gasket. The window over the LED has come off

Edited by: grin on 12/27/2019 - 11:07
EasyB
Online
Last seen: 13 min 34 sec ago
Joined: 03/09/2016 - 15:24
Posts: 1953
Location: Ohio

Wow, impressive current! Thanks.

The_Driver
The_Driver's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 days 16 hours ago
Joined: 10/20/2016 - 05:51
Posts: 1447
Location: Germany

Thanks for the pics!

Very impessive throw numbers considering the "low" led current. The CFT-90 (same LED, but with integtrated pcb) goes up to 45A.

JaredM
JaredM's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 13 min ago
Joined: 10/31/2011 - 13:33
Posts: 917
Location: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania

Does anyone know the Vf curve of this LED? Could we get some measurements from inside the K75?

the4ds9
the4ds9's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 22 hours ago
Joined: 10/28/2017 - 17:06
Posts: 175

Thank you for bumping this thread. I was wondering the current on my Acebeam K75. All the other reviews didn’t have it. Nice! Now if we could just get the Vf curve…

JaredM wrote:
Does anyone know the Vf curve of this LED? Could we get some measurements from inside the K75?
grin
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 56 min ago
Joined: 01/05/2019 - 09:15
Posts: 368
Location: Hunter Valley, Australia
JaredM wrote:
Does anyone know the Vf curve of this LED? Could we get some measurements from inside the K75?

Tonight or tomorrow I will set it up on the bench and take some more readings.

I brought a second one and plan on scratch building a host with better cooling for the other. Now i have a k75 host thinking an osram LED with L4P driver.

CNCman
CNCman's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 21 min ago
Joined: 04/07/2018 - 10:10
Posts: 543
Location: Mississippi Gulf Coast
grin wrote:
JaredM wrote:
Does anyone know the Vf curve of this LED? Could we get some measurements from inside the K75?

Tonight or tomorrow I will set it up on the bench and take some more readings.

I brought a second one and plan on scratch building a host with better cooling for the other. Now i have a k75 host thinking an osram LED with L4P driver.

.
.
Is that K75 going to be modded into an infrared light ? Shocked
.

CNC & Manual Machinist. Think outside the box too long , cannot find your way back in.

Never give up, Never surrender. Make someone Smile today.

Redlyne22
Redlyne22's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 days 17 hours ago
Joined: 12/25/2017 - 07:02
Posts: 203
Location: United States

So this mean that we can use a normal 1S fet driver, example:(Q8 driver) with the luminus sbt90.2 LED?

Sometimes being a newb is the best part of a hobbie

KawiBoy1428
KawiBoy1428's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 2 min ago
Joined: 04/11/2014 - 18:05
Posts: 4116
Location: The Motor City

I like how they doubled up on the leads to get that current to the LED…. and they also popped the glass/lens off the emitter…..

KB1428 “Live Life WOT

Redlyne22
Redlyne22's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 days 17 hours ago
Joined: 12/25/2017 - 07:02
Posts: 203
Location: United States

Good observation, why do you think they removed that lil window? Better cooling or to allow more lumens to come thro?

Sometimes being a newb is the best part of a hobbie

KawiBoy1428
KawiBoy1428's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 2 min ago
Joined: 04/11/2014 - 18:05
Posts: 4116
Location: The Motor City

Redlyne22 wrote:
Good observation, why do you think they removed that lil window? Better cooling or to allow more lumens to come thro?

yeah… throw… woooo it’s de-domed… Cash Heat not so much these Big Luminus LED’s are current hungry, they pull big amps…and are tough as iron nails… Big Smile

KB1428 “Live Life WOT

Narmattaru
Narmattaru's picture
Offline
Last seen: 15 hours 12 min ago
Joined: 12/19/2016 - 13:47
Posts: 506
Location: Russia

btw, do u know if that is possible to add extension here?

 

if yes, what one will fit?

"Updated list of Aliexpress coupons and promocodes":http://budgetlightforum.com/node/64307 | "How to choose flashlight, Main things in simple words":http://budgetlightforum.com/node/68418

grin
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 56 min ago
Joined: 01/05/2019 - 09:15
Posts: 368
Location: Hunter Valley, Australia

I took the window off the led
The k75 as a host is light weight with a huge reflector so i will put the 2mm2 osram and led4power driver in it, see how it goes. The astrolux battery tube fits and I have changed the battery carrier to 4s which fit the acebeam tube. However the acebeam carriers dont fit in the astrolux tube

I am waiting for more leds so i will do a test with Q8 driver and the sbt-90 from the k75. I have a host knocked up for test.

The k75 driver and led will go in a aspheric with a collar and 150mm lens with 177mmFL. i have done some tests without the collar and and 145mm lens, looks like it will be alright

grin
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 56 min ago
Joined: 01/05/2019 - 09:15
Posts: 368
Location: Hunter Valley, Australia

LED voltage on moonlight is 2.5v, turbo 3.5v

the4ds9
the4ds9's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 22 hours ago
Joined: 10/28/2017 - 17:06
Posts: 175

Grin’s measurements are right on. The peak is 583 yards away. First beamshot is Mid2 and second beamshot is Turbo.

the4ds9
the4ds9's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 22 hours ago
Joined: 10/28/2017 - 17:06
Posts: 175

Yes this is what I find as well. My low voltage indicator starts blinking when on Turbo mode and my batteries are at 3.5 volts. The light then shuts off completely as the voltage sags below this. I stick the batteries in my VC4 charger and the dial is 3.5v

grin wrote:
LED voltage on moonlight is 2.5v, turbo 3.5v
grin
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 56 min ago
Joined: 01/05/2019 - 09:15
Posts: 368
Location: Hunter Valley, Australia

Haha it is a crazy light I was playing with it at work lighting up caravans over 2km away.

I dont really have a use for it so i havent flattened the batteries yet.

Redlyne22
Redlyne22's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 days 17 hours ago
Joined: 12/25/2017 - 07:02
Posts: 203
Location: United States

What the!!!! This thread went from informative to straight entertainment. That is a killer beam!

Sometimes being a newb is the best part of a hobbie

FlashPilot
FlashPilot's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 36 min ago
Joined: 05/10/2010 - 16:07
Posts: 4643
Location: USA

Haha! Holy mother of pearl… I love it! Just spray black paint and you’re done! Thumbs Up

Sirius9
Sirius9's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 58 min ago
Joined: 03/04/2012 - 19:23
Posts: 4608
Location: South Europe

I think tripod stand option will no longer work as intended Big Smile

 

CNCman
CNCman's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 21 min ago
Joined: 04/07/2018 - 10:10
Posts: 543
Location: Mississippi Gulf Coast

grin wrote:
I took the window off the led
The k75 as a host is light weight with a huge reflector so i will put the 2mm2 osram and led4power driver in it, see how it goes. The astrolux battery tube fits and I have changed the battery carrier to 4s which fit the acebeam tube. However the acebeam carriers dont fit in the astrolux tube

I am waiting for more leds so i will do a test with Q8 driver and the sbt-90 from the k75. I have a host knocked up for test.

The k75 driver and led will go in a aspheric with a collar and 150mm lens with 177mmFL. i have done some tests without the collar and and 145mm lens, looks like it will be alright
!{width:50%}https://i.imgur.com/w5wednH.jpg!

.
.
I’m trying to learn here, can someone Please explain what is inside the light. . Question
.

CNC & Manual Machinist. Think outside the box too long , cannot find your way back in.

Never give up, Never surrender. Make someone Smile today.

KawiBoy1428
KawiBoy1428's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 2 min ago
Joined: 04/11/2014 - 18:05
Posts: 4116
Location: The Motor City

CNCman wrote:
grin wrote:
I took the window off the led
The k75 as a host is light weight with a huge reflector so i will put the 2mm2 osram and led4power driver in it, see how it goes. The astrolux battery tube fits and I have changed the battery carrier to 4s which fit the acebeam tube. However the acebeam carriers dont fit in the astrolux tube

I am waiting for more leds so i will do a test with Q8 driver and the sbt-90 from the k75. I have a host knocked up for test.

The k75 driver and led will go in a aspheric with a collar and 150mm lens with 177mmFL. i have done some tests without the collar and and 145mm lens, looks like it will be alright
!{width:50%}https://i.imgur.com/w5wednH.jpg!

.
.
I’m trying to learn here, can someone Please explain what is inside the light. . Question
.

Looks to be … a home made version of one of these…https://meadowstar.com/rltproducts/rlt-retroreflectors/

KB1428 “Live Life WOT

grin
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 56 min ago
Joined: 01/05/2019 - 09:15
Posts: 368
Location: Hunter Valley, Australia

Sorry for the delay replying I have worked every day over the christmas break and havent had any time to do anything.
It is a stainless steel butt weld dome endcap that has been polished, the opening is not the right size because it is one that was already cut for another use. the idea is the light that doesnt hit the lens is reflected back to the light emitting surface and increases the intensity. I have a thought that more than one led can be used but the extra leds are blocked by the aperture so that only the centre is exposed to the lens. the inverted reflector may have to be a different shape to properly focus the extras.

Redlyne22
Redlyne22's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 days 17 hours ago
Joined: 12/25/2017 - 07:02
Posts: 203
Location: United States
grin wrote:
Sorry for the delay replying I have worked every day over the christmas break and havent had any time to do anything. It is a stainless steel butt weld dome endcap that has been polished, the opening is not the right size because it is one that was already cut for another use. the idea is the light that doesnt hit the lens is reflected back to the light emitting surface and increases the intensity. I have a thought that more than one led can be used but the extra leds are blocked by the aperture so that only the centre is exposed to the lens. the inverted reflector may have to be a different shape to properly focus the extras.

Tried a couple times to make a collar’ once with glass and once with metal, Failed misrabley both times. This is no easy thing to do.

So you are getting a focused mirror image of 1 LED’s die surface back onto the led?

Sometimes being a newb is the best part of a hobbie

grin
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 56 min ago
Joined: 01/05/2019 - 09:15
Posts: 368
Location: Hunter Valley, Australia

I think you are right the stainless endcap doesnt focus a clear image, but it is worth a try. Sometimes you have to spend a bit on materials and tools to get results.

the4ds9
the4ds9's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 22 hours ago
Joined: 10/28/2017 - 17:06
Posts: 175

The K75 Acebeam is really a monstrous throw. I carefully and painstakingly looked through 20×50 Bushnell binoculars while shining down a straight runoff Wash that ended in an airport hanger. The distance was easily half a mile; could be as much as .6 mile or more.

I could tell the scattered cool white light of the K75 reached the very end of the wash and then a large shrubbery or tree beyond that, poking up higher than the hangar building. Not bad for LED.

Flashaholics Youtube video accurately portrays K75’s reach!

Redlyne22
Redlyne22's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 days 17 hours ago
Joined: 12/25/2017 - 07:02
Posts: 203
Location: United States

It seems you got much closer to a actual working collar then I ever did. I think iam going to try your stainless metal cap idea.Im not giving up on this anytime soon.lol

BTW:did you get a chance to try out the Q8 driver with the sbt90.2?

Sometimes being a newb is the best part of a hobbie

grin
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 56 min ago
Joined: 01/05/2019 - 09:15
Posts: 368
Location: Hunter Valley, Australia

The Q8 I havent had working properly yet it blew a first gen sbt90 and Im waiting for LEDs for lantend. but I need to finish the old lumens comp light first, it will get done soon.