Noctigon K1 info / review

490 posts / 0 new
Last post
Agro
Agro's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 39 min ago
Joined: 05/14/2017 - 11:16
Posts: 5767
Location: Ślōnsk

I know you do. Silly
Hollybrook, in case you don’t know, aspheric lights produce no spill at all.

riderxc
riderxc's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 1 week ago
Joined: 12/04/2019 - 20:27
Posts: 4
Location: Vancouver Canada
TexasToasted wrote:
Ordered K1, W1, Dark Grey, Dec 2. Received shipping email from Hank, Dec 6. Tracking shows the package really was shipped Dec 6, unlike so many Aliexpress vendors, or Banggood, or Gearbest…..

I placed the same order, dark grey, W1 Nov. 30th. My Shipping confirmation came today Dec. 10th. They aren’t sent out in order unfortunately.

DB Custom
DB Custom's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 4 hours ago
Joined: 01/13/2013 - 22:28
Posts: 20623
Location: Heart of Texas

Sorry Agro, brain dead today. Our temps dropped over 40 degrees from yesterday to today, it was 83 yesterday afternoon and barely 40 now! Kills me…

adam7027
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 6 days ago
Joined: 09/26/2017 - 13:54
Posts: 466
Location: EU (Hu)

zak.wilson wrote:
I won’t order W1. I find cool white throwers have more visible backscatter, I don’t find ultra-tiny hotspots all that useful, I’m tired of linear drivers, and I haven’t yet found a light that throws far enough to make me stop caring about CRI.

I’m waiting to see how the XHP35 HI model performs, especially if Hank sources some of the 80 CRI Easywhites, with which I’ve had very good results in other lights in 4000K and 4500K. Barring that, I’d consider SST-20.

I also hate cool white throwers for the same reason (visible backscatter). Regarding SST-20, I don’t mind the narrower hotspot – in turn, I will get my first high CRI dedicated thrower Party

I already made an order without any hesitation. I would deeply prefer 3500K of SST-20 (GXX is the nicest tint range for thrower usage), but I found myself choosing 4000K eventually.

BurningPlayd0h
BurningPlayd0h's picture
Offline
Last seen: 32 min 52 sec ago
Joined: 06/22/2018 - 02:16
Posts: 1023
Location: MN

Hollybrook wrote:
My interest is much different from most of the comments above. I see no point in taking an excellent thrower and negating the strong points with emitters that generate a wider hotspot and more illumination off axis. I don’t have it yet, but I bought the W1 version and expect it to do exactly what I want.

And yes, I do have a practical use for this light — I boat at night and want a light to identify markers in the water at long distances without adversely affecting my night vision by lighting up the white bow of the boat. This is the perfect light for this purpose — good price point and small form factor! The ability to charge the battery without removing is helpful if I need a quick charge while at the helm.

Would I like it in a warmer tint? Sure, but not at the expense of a tight beam and long throw.

FWIW, ordered K1 W1 in dark gray on 12/1 and do not have a shipping notice yet.

Many people buying and actually using throwers have a different use case than you, simple as that. For them (myself included) a light with only 2/3 the throw but a beam that is more versatile makes much more sense. I would have to work hard to even find an area with something at >700m that isn’t already lit up because it’s a building, etc.

TexasToasted
TexasToasted's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 days 17 hours ago
Joined: 10/25/2012 - 08:48
Posts: 1131
Location: Texas Gulf Coast

I like to walk several miles in the evening. One of the walking trails I use is 2.8km and is absolutely straight. One of the lakes I walk around is about 1km across. I’m looking forward to taking out the K1.

ZED
ZED's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 2 weeks ago
Joined: 01/14/2016 - 09:37
Posts: 118
Location: Pennsylvania

Every time I buy a light it’s “my last one.” But really, I (we on BLF, or some) use them. Some of us need to reach out, some need a mid range wider brighter light, some need an up close area light. The D18 is my current dog walking light with an MF04 or TN40s for throw. I’m hoping the K1 serves the purposes the D18 can’t, without being a total novelty. Hoping it’s a tool for what I need, aside from a work of art

-Zach

Gerrit
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 28 min ago
Joined: 06/20/2013 - 04:44
Posts: 335
Location: NL

payne.zu post

djozz
djozz's picture
Online
Last seen: 2 min 17 sec ago
Joined: 09/07/2012 - 17:04
Posts: 16703
Location: Amsterdam

Nice collection throwers Gerrit! Smile

The beamshots will have more information if something remote is illuminated, with the brightness setting and white balance fixed, rather a bit under-exposed than overexposed to show the differences better.

Still nice lightsaber pics! Thumbs Up

Old Mate
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 1 week ago
Joined: 05/29/2013 - 06:10
Posts: 235
Location: Sydney Australia

The K1 W2 beam is very impressive.

Old Mate

justanotherguy
Offline
Last seen: 38 min 25 sec ago
Joined: 11/26/2012 - 22:11
Posts: 885
Location: NW

djozz wrote:
Nice collection throwers Gerrit! Smile

The beamshots will have more information if something remote is illuminated, with the brightness setting and white balance fixed, rather a bit under-exposed than overexposed to show the differences better.

Still nice lightsaber pics! Thumbs Up


Wish I had those.. I have big hill by me and a water tower one mile away…. Had a friend take target pics near the tower, I used the BLF GT then
Hollybrook
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 3 weeks ago
Joined: 03/13/2019 - 00:42
Posts: 12
BurningPlayd0h wrote:
Many people buying and actually using throwers have a different use case than you, simple as that. For them (myself included) a light with only 2/3 the throw but a beam that is more versatile makes much more sense. I would have to work hard to even find an area with something at >700m that isn’t already lit up because it’s a building, etc.

I realize that others have different needs, but wanted Hank to know that he hit a homerun on the K1 W1 for some folks.

Can’t wait to get this in my hands and play with it. It shipped on December 10th, so not too long now.

EasyB
Online
Last seen: 3 min 35 sec ago
Joined: 03/09/2016 - 15:24
Posts: 1884
Location: Ohio

adam7027 wrote:
zak.wilson wrote:
I won’t order W1. I find cool white throwers have more visible backscatter, I don’t find ultra-tiny hotspots all that useful, I’m tired of linear drivers, and I haven’t yet found a light that throws far enough to make me stop caring about CRI.

I also hate cool white throwers for the same reason (visible backscatter). Regarding SST-20, I don’t mind the narrower hotspot – in turn, I will get my first high CRI dedicated thrower Party

I think this well-accepted belief that cool white scatters more in fog might not actually be true.
http://budgetlightforum.com/comment/1582988#comment-1582988

I encourage others to do their own controlled experiments/photos to prove to themselves.

komeko
komeko's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 5 days ago
Joined: 12/21/2017 - 14:26
Posts: 394
Location: Poland

And I cracked, I ordered K1 W2. When it comes, I will post my measurements and impressions. I think there might be an interesting comparison to TN42.

Click on:        ANSI WHITE

Click on:        MY COLLECTION

Click on:        Q8, D4, D4S, D18, K1, FW3A, SDmini, Mini AAA, TIP, M43, H1, H03, TC20, TN40S, TN42, V6, H600Fw, SC600w, SC64w

Yokiamy
Yokiamy's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 55 min ago
Joined: 10/18/2016 - 15:47
Posts: 2287
Location: Netherlands
komeko wrote:
And I cracked, I ordered K1 W2. When it comes, I will post my measurements and impressions. I think there might be an interesting comparison to TN42.

The TN42 is larger, but the wider beam is way more usable than this tiny beam. However, it’s a beautiful designed light and the throw is amazing for its size
Pure fun!

komeko
komeko's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 5 days ago
Joined: 12/21/2017 - 14:26
Posts: 394
Location: Poland

I know what TN42 is because I have it Smile
That is why I will gladly compare.

Click on:        ANSI WHITE

Click on:        MY COLLECTION

Click on:        Q8, D4, D4S, D18, K1, FW3A, SDmini, Mini AAA, TIP, M43, H1, H03, TC20, TN40S, TN42, V6, H600Fw, SC600w, SC64w

SKV89
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 28 min ago
Joined: 12/10/2017 - 12:46
Posts: 3689
Location: US

EasyB wrote:
adam7027 wrote:
zak.wilson wrote:
I won’t order W1. I find cool white throwers have more visible backscatter, I don’t find ultra-tiny hotspots all that useful, I’m tired of linear drivers, and I haven’t yet found a light that throws far enough to make me stop caring about CRI.

I also hate cool white throwers for the same reason (visible backscatter). Regarding SST-20, I don’t mind the narrower hotspot – in turn, I will get my first high CRI dedicated thrower Party

I think this well-accepted belief that cool white scatters more in fog might not actually be true.
http://budgetlightforum.com/comment/1582988#comment-1582988

I encourage others to do their own controlled experiments/photos to prove to themselves.

I did my own comparisons using same lights WW vs CW on foggy nights. With WW my eyes can see into the distance immediately. With CW it takes my eyes a little longer to focus due to the glare from the scattered light. However, comparing them side by side, they actually illuminate just as far to my dissappointment. I always thought WW would penetrate fog better. Though WW is more comfortable to use though especially if preserving night vision is important.

Hikelite
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 53 min ago
Joined: 07/13/2011 - 16:18
Posts: 3693
Location: RO

It doesn’t compare to a small head XHP70 LED flashlight, that is spam link.

will34
will34's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 28 min ago
Joined: 12/18/2012 - 00:12
Posts: 3695
Hikelite wrote:
It doesn’t compare to a small head XHP70 LED flashlight, that is spam link.

Appears to be XHP35 HI large head?

zak.wilson
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 8 min ago
Joined: 09/29/2014 - 14:27
Posts: 962

The MHVAST TS35 seems to me to be closely related to the Thrunite Catapult V6. It has about 800m throw; I expect the K1 XHP35 HI to significantly exceed that.

Ceilingbounce – flashlight testing and runtime graphs for Android

saturnine_07
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 07/12/2019 - 07:50
Posts: 11
zak.wilson wrote:
The MHVAST TS35 seems to me to be closely related to the Thrunite Catapult V6. It has about 800m throw; I expect the K1 XHP35 HI to significantly exceed that.

Even if the K1 is specced with the XHP35 when it is eventually available?

Specs on the MHVAST TS35 are:
XHP35 HI
Cool White: 6300K-6500K
Natural White: 4800K-5200K
Warm White:4300-4000K
296900 CD (Max.) – 820 Meters (Max.)
2100 Lumens (Max.)
142mm x58mm x 32.6mm (Height x Head diameter x Body diameter), so smaller than K1.
Type C usb charging.
26650 Li-ion Battery (Included)

TexasToasted
TexasToasted's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 days 17 hours ago
Joined: 10/25/2012 - 08:48
Posts: 1131
Location: Texas Gulf Coast

My light has arrived in the USA. Now I have to wait for USPS to get it to me. This time of year, my local post office gets a little funky. They will incorrectly claim it was delivered and I’ll have to go the post office to get them to find it and give it to me. I assume they are just overworked at Christmas. Hopefully, this package will get delivered without the run around.

junkyardbiker
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 30 sec ago
Joined: 01/07/2019 - 20:30
Posts: 115
Location: Florida

Mine also had made it into the states, 4PX says arrived in destination country airport. Now for customs and USPS. My D4V2 is with it also.

Lurking flashaholic, Ive bought all my flashlights through lurking here, BLF A6, Sofirn C8F, Soforn Q8, Emisar D4, and a few not so budget lights but I mod them all the same! Been waiting for the FW3A to come out for years now.......

zak.wilson
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 8 min ago
Joined: 09/29/2014 - 14:27
Posts: 962

saturnine_07 wrote:
Even if the K1 is specced with the XHP35 when it is eventually available?

Specs on the MHVAST TS35 are:

296900 CD (Max.) – 820 Meters (Max.)
2100 Lumens (Max.)
142mm x58mm x 32.6mm (Height x Head diameter x Body diameter), so smaller than K1.

296900cd is 1090m FL1 throw, not 820. Given the reflector size and the performance of similar lights like the Catapult, I’m going with the 820m (168100cd) being closer to reality.

The K1 has a 72mm bezel, which is quite a bit larger, and I expect it to be driven at least as hard. The Acebeam T27 has a 70mm bezel and claims 1180m throw, also using the XHP35 HI. That’s the closest comparison I could easily find.

Ceilingbounce – flashlight testing and runtime graphs for Android

Agro
Agro's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 39 min ago
Joined: 05/14/2017 - 11:16
Posts: 5767
Location: Ślōnsk

zak.wilson wrote:
saturnine_07 wrote:
Even if the K1 is specced with the XHP35 when it is eventually available?

Specs on the MHVAST TS35 are:

296900 CD (Max.) – 820 Meters (Max.)
2100 Lumens (Max.)
142mm x58mm x 32.6mm (Height x Head diameter x Body diameter), so smaller than K1.

296900cd is 1090m FL1 throw, not 820. Given the reflector size and the performance of similar lights like the Catapult, I’m going with the 820m (168100cd) being closer to reality.

The K1 has a 72mm bezel, which is quite a bit larger, and I expect it to be driven at least as hard. The Acebeam T27 has a 70mm bezel and claims 1180m throw, also using the XHP35 HI. That’s the closest comparison I could easily find.


Here you can find a collection of throw measurements of the lights in question.
Catapult is 151-195 kcd. T27 has only 2 results, 335 and 340.
Anthon
Offline
Last seen: 10 hours 3 min ago
Joined: 09/07/2015 - 10:33
Posts: 622

any runtime graph about the 2mm2 version?

Yokiamy
Yokiamy's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 55 min ago
Joined: 10/18/2016 - 15:47
Posts: 2287
Location: Netherlands

Runtime graphs are overrated, if you use a 4A cell and the light runs on 8, max 30 minutes, that is without stepdown ofcourse
So with stepdown a little longer

Gerrit
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 28 min ago
Joined: 06/20/2013 - 04:44
Posts: 335
Location: NL
Q732
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 3 days ago
Joined: 09/16/2018 - 14:41
Posts: 2

Just checked out your other pics, can’t wait to get mine. Better spill than I thought it would have.

Anthon
Offline
Last seen: 10 hours 3 min ago
Joined: 09/07/2015 - 10:33
Posts: 622
Yokiamy wrote:
Runtime graphs are overrated, if you use a 4A cell and the light runs on 8, max 30 minutes, that is without stepdown ofcourse So with stepdown a little longer

Runtime graphs are very useful to see stepdowns. I can do maths and calculate that a 4A cell would run for 30 min under a 8A discharge rate, but I need to see a runtime graph to know the max sustained lumens from a flashlight and how efficient the driver is

Pages