BLF LT1-Micro future project idea.

111 posts / 0 new
Last post
Agro
Agro's picture
Online
Last seen: 1 min 16 sec ago
Joined: 05/14/2017 - 11:16
Posts: 5015
Location: Ślōnsk

DBSAR wrote:
Agro wrote:

In front add a regular optics and LED, so it’s not just a lantern but a flashlight as well.
Tube gives little space for the driver…unless you make a flex PCB (not very expensive now) and fold it inside.

Yeah baby, someone has similar ideas to mine:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/32760825307.html

I have one like that atm, its very finicky, flickers a lot, and has some design issues. (added to the radiation-blue tint and built in charger that charged a cell to 4.32 volts.[/quote]
Bad implementation does not invalidate a good idea. Silly

DBSAR
DBSAR's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 41 min ago
Joined: 02/11/2013 - 23:28
Posts: 6109
Location: Ontario, Canada

Agro wrote:

Bad implementation does not invalidate a good idea. Silly

I know, its just the quality of most lights of that style on the market need some major modifications or don’t work well at all.

That Canadian flashlight guy & Lantern Guru -Den / DBSARlight

Big_Sam
Big_Sam's picture
Online
Last seen: 2 min 26 sec ago
Joined: 03/21/2018 - 07:54
Posts: 107
Location: UK

I would support 21700….. because it means I can use 18650 protected cells! For those of us who only use protected cells, many 18650 lights are not useable….. FW3…. EDC18…..etc but 21700 lights can all take a 69mm keeppower!

JermsMalibu
Offline
Last seen: 16 min 41 sec ago
Joined: 01/22/2019 - 01:17
Posts: 23
Location: Salem Oregon

Would it be feasible to make it accept 2 CR123s in an emergency? It’d be nice to have a fall-back to those if one is out camping and the rechargeable battery dies. I already take a couple CR123s in a waterproof case for some other lights I have (that are currently running rechargeables) for “just in case”.

Also, I’d vote for more than just 1 LED (2-4?) in order to drive them at lower currents for more lumens. A few extra dollars up front for something that can run longer and cooler at a given brightness (vs a single LED) would be good. Either way, I’m excited to see this project.

Edited to add: I was thinking 21700 or 26650 size instead of 18650 which is why I thought of more than 1 LED.

DBSAR
DBSAR's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 41 min ago
Joined: 02/11/2013 - 23:28
Posts: 6109
Location: Ontario, Canada
Big_Sam wrote:
I would support 21700….. because it means I can use 18650 protected cells! For those of us who only use protected cells, many 18650 lights are not useable….. FW3…. EDC18…..etc but 21700 lights can all take a 69mm keeppower!

21700 is the goal with the ability to use 18650’s with a sleeve. as a lantern, it will pull less amps than a high-powered flashlight with a turbo that only runs for a minute or less, as lanterns run continuously for hours on end, meaning it will likely have a low-volt protection like the full size LT1, and being a low-amp draw it can run nearly any type of 18650 from old weak laptop pulls up to a 5000 mAh 21700.
The thoughts of having the tube made just large enough diameter to handle a 3-AAA carrier has been thought about, in that case which would add that extra battery versatility of even fitting a basic 3-AAA series carrier in it for that additional option in emergencies to use alkaline or Eneloops. (but not to charge them)

That Canadian flashlight guy & Lantern Guru -Den / DBSARlight

Big_Sam
Big_Sam's picture
Online
Last seen: 2 min 26 sec ago
Joined: 03/21/2018 - 07:54
Posts: 107
Location: UK

That’s a good idea DBSAR, a 3xAAA carrier would be a good backup.

DBSAR
DBSAR's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 41 min ago
Joined: 02/11/2013 - 23:28
Posts: 6109
Location: Ontario, Canada
Big_Sam wrote:
That’s a good idea DBSAR, a 3xAAA carrier would be a good backup.

I discovered if the inside of the battery tube of the Fireflies PL47 21700 light was just barely half a mm larger, a 3-AAA plastic carrier from any cheap 3-AAA flashlight fits it and works with additional longer springs.

That Canadian flashlight guy & Lantern Guru -Den / DBSARlight

amishbill
amishbill's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 25 min ago
Joined: 05/01/2019 - 10:03
Posts: 665
Location: GA

DBSAR wrote:

The thoughts of having the tube made just large enough diameter to handle a 3-AAA carrier has been thought about, in that case which would add that extra battery versatility of even fitting a basic 3-AAA series carrier in it for that additional option in emergencies to use alkaline or Eneloops. (but not to charge them)

I like this idea, but I also dislike it. Flexibility is always a good thing, but what would be the result of someone having this carrier installed and accidentally / ignorantly plugging up the charge cable? Cooked NiMH or popped alkalines?

DIY LT1 battery wrap image. "PDF on Google Drive":https://drive.google.com/open?id=1IHIEOi1NXu868IYNCzIM7D2Ulpxchmww

Fresh Sanyo NCR18650GAs already wrapped "for sale HERE":http://budgetlightforum.com/node/69120 if you like.

MtnDon
MtnDon's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 44 min ago
Joined: 08/27/2015 - 18:25
Posts: 2577
Location: Canuk in NM
amishbill wrote:
I like this idea, but I also dislike it. Flexibility is always a good thing, but what would be the result of someone having this carrier installed and accidentally / ignorantly plugging up the charge cable? Cooked NiMH or popped alkalines?

I’m sure it would be possible to design a mechanism that would prevent that, but it would complicate things.

…. a keyway, a switch that is activated when the 3xaa carrier is inserted……. everything and anything is possible. Is it worth the effort?

BLF Member Map Add your name and location.

DBSAR
DBSAR's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 41 min ago
Joined: 02/11/2013 - 23:28
Posts: 6109
Location: Ontario, Canada
amishbill wrote:
DBSAR wrote:
… The thoughts of having the tube made just large enough diameter to handle a 3-AAA carrier has been thought about, in that case which would add that extra battery versatility of even fitting a basic 3-AAA series carrier in it for that additional option in emergencies to use alkaline or Eneloops. (but not to charge them)
I like this idea, but I also dislike it. Flexibility is always a good thing, but what would be the result of someone having this carrier installed and accidentally / ignorantly plugging up the charge cable? Cooked NiMH or popped alkalines?

indeed that is a concern.

That Canadian flashlight guy & Lantern Guru -Den / DBSARlight

DBSAR
DBSAR's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 41 min ago
Joined: 02/11/2013 - 23:28
Posts: 6109
Location: Ontario, Canada
MtnDon wrote:
amishbill wrote:
I like this idea, but I also dislike it. Flexibility is always a good thing, but what would be the result of someone having this carrier installed and accidentally / ignorantly plugging up the charge cable? Cooked NiMH or popped alkalines?

I’m sure it would be possible to design a mechanism that would prevent that, but it would complicate things.

…. a keyway, a switch that is activated when the 3xaa carrier is inserted……. everything and anything is possible. Is it worth the effort?

good points. Something to disable charging with a 3-AAA carrier in it.

That Canadian flashlight guy & Lantern Guru -Den / DBSARlight

Lightbringer
Lightbringer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 7 min ago
Joined: 08/30/2016 - 14:12
Posts: 9955
Location: nyc

Those carriers have a pogo-stick nipple to make contact, no?

Make a small center contact for power, and a concentric ring around it for charging. Should make contact with flat-tops, but not with the carrier.

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

DBSAR
DBSAR's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 41 min ago
Joined: 02/11/2013 - 23:28
Posts: 6109
Location: Ontario, Canada

Lightbringer wrote:
Those carriers have a pogo-stick nipple to make contact, no?

Make a small center contact for power, and a concentric ring around it for charging. Should make contact with flat-tops, but not with the carrier.

good idea Thumbs Up

That Canadian flashlight guy & Lantern Guru -Den / DBSARlight

BrianCharles
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 48 min ago
Joined: 02/14/2018 - 10:51
Posts: 6
Location: United States

Put me on the list for three. (When the list is started)

KevinZA1988
KevinZA1988's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 33 min ago
Joined: 02/26/2018 - 02:26
Posts: 732
Location: South Africa

Would it be possible to add red LED’s operated as a separate mode in Anduril? Perfect for keeping bugs away when camping or fishing. Perhaps deep red XP-E? They are relatively cheap.

Astrolux MF01 Mini, BLF Q8, BLF A6, BLF FW1A, BLF FW3A, BLF FW3C, Convoy L6, Convoy C8+ , Convoy S3, Convoy M21A, Convoy S11, Emisar D4, Fireflies E07, Jaxman E2L, Lumintop EDC18, Manta Ray C8.2 long version, Olight S1R Baton II special edition series, S2R Baton II, Nitecore HC65, Olight H1R Nova.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/JaJaDv4V838AEJf39

Big_Sam
Big_Sam's picture
Online
Last seen: 2 min 26 sec ago
Joined: 03/21/2018 - 07:54
Posts: 107
Location: UK

That would work, you could do a similar circuit to the yellow work lamps that take 18650 and AA, they have a series of diodes to prevent charging of the AA.

Big Clive has done a tear down and circuit

That way the LT micro could be a power bank too.

https://youtu.be/NAoISQaA5jY

DBSAR
DBSAR's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 41 min ago
Joined: 02/11/2013 - 23:28
Posts: 6109
Location: Ontario, Canada
KevinZA1988 wrote:
Would it be possible to add red LED’s operated as a separate mode in Anduril? Perfect for keeping bugs away when camping or fishing. Perhaps deep red XP-E? They are relatively cheap.

it is possible, depending on if it will drive up the cost of the lantern or not.

That Canadian flashlight guy & Lantern Guru -Den / DBSARlight

Tixx
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 42 min ago
Joined: 08/27/2015 - 22:34
Posts: 299
Location: United States
DBSAR wrote:
Big_Sam wrote:
I would support 21700….. because it means I can use 18650 protected cells! For those of us who only use protected cells, many 18650 lights are not useable….. FW3…. EDC18…..etc but 21700 lights can all take a 69mm keeppower!

21700 is the goal with the ability to use 18650’s with a sleeve. as a lantern, it will pull less amps than a high-powered flashlight with a turbo that only runs for a minute or less, as lanterns run continuously for hours on end, meaning it will likely have a low-volt protection like the full size LT1, and being a low-amp draw it can run nearly any type of 18650 from old weak laptop pulls up to a 5000 mAh 21700.
The thoughts of having the tube made just large enough diameter to handle a 3-AAA carrier has been thought about, in that case which would add that extra battery versatility of even fitting a basic 3-AAA series carrier in it for that additional option in emergencies to use alkaline or Eneloops. (but not to charge them)

Very Cool! I love battery versatility! Like the ZL SC80 and the CountyComm Single C and D lights that have AA and AAA carriers.

bikenber73
bikenber73's picture
Offline
Last seen: 12 hours 1 min ago
Joined: 11/12/2011 - 15:09
Posts: 2004
Location: Maryland USA

I’ll take 2 please!

gottawearshades
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 42 min ago
Joined: 09/29/2015 - 15:18
Posts: 57

Interesting. Count me in for at least one.

Pages