5600 Lumen area/camping light

20 posts / 0 new
Last post
Glenn7
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 15 hours ago
Joined: 01/17/2012 - 08:02
Posts: 209
Location: Tasmania Australia
5600 Lumen area/camping light

Not sure where this should go but I got excited about this light on kickstarter and wanted to share.
I’m getting 2 as they IMO look brilliant! – not many lights these days excite me any more, this did.
Let me know what you think.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/infinum/the-future-of-lights-led-re...

atobe
Online
Last seen: 1 min 9 sec ago
Joined: 09/14/2019 - 23:27
Posts: 204
Location: California

Weird shadows Yeah the light isn’t coming behind him at all ! Do a review once you get yours.

ᕦ(ò_óˇ)ᕤ

Glenn7
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 15 hours ago
Joined: 01/17/2012 - 08:02
Posts: 209
Location: Tasmania Australia

Yes I thought that as well at first but when you look and think about it – both pictures are basically the same with the average lantern on the grass between the tents giving off what it can do, and on the second pic the new light is of course added to the left to show the difference.
Because of the brightness of the new light at 5600L, if you were to put it next to the old lantern facing the camera, it would blow out the picture’s exposure making it too glary and not show how much area is actually being lit up – I’m sure they tried that at first and settled on the sidelight angle, just what you would do with photography. Also if you notice in the picture below the one you flagged, again the two pic’s have the same 45W older style lantern but the second pic has the new light facing the tents away from the camera showing how much of a difference.

DBSAR
DBSAR's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 13 hours ago
Joined: 02/11/2013 - 23:28
Posts: 6188
Location: Ontario, Canada

You can get the 12 volt cob LED panel here on amazon for about 12 bucks US:

https://www.amazon.com/Zehui-Panel-Module-Camping-Lights/dp/B075WTF6D4/r...

or a double version for telescopic pole overhead lighting here: https://www.amazon.com/SAQIMA-Camping-Telescopic-Fishing-Outdoor/dp/B07X...

That Canadian flashlight guy & Lantern Guru -Den / DBSARlight

Valynor
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 54 min ago
Joined: 07/13/2019 - 17:13
Posts: 76
Location: Germany

This light does not seem to have the mass nor surface to cool 50W for more than a few seconds? 

These things need to be properly heatsinked or they will die quickly. 

Glenn7
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 15 hours ago
Joined: 01/17/2012 - 08:02
Posts: 209
Location: Tasmania Australia

Good find! but the first one is smaller with higher watts – people say it overheats and needs a fan or heatsink, making it less portable costing more and too annoying IMO (one guy said 24W using 12v so less output?) The INFINIUM doesn’t overheat supposably, also I like that it has warm and cool led colours.
The second one seems like an ok idea, but can’t find where to buy it from and seems like Chinese clickbait for alliexpress – did you read the description next to the pictures?? (car card paper towel passport badge napkin toothbrush brush make up key) also in the description, it says COB but in one of the pic’s it has multi LEDs – what happens not if but when the remote stops (I now see it has a manual switch), also where I live that pole would snap/blow away.

I suppose you could easily mount any of these COBs to a 3mm sheet of Alu/Copper from the hardware store for more heatsink.

Glenn7
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 15 hours ago
Joined: 01/17/2012 - 08:02
Posts: 209
Location: Tasmania Australia

Valynor wrote:

This light does not seem to have the mass nor surface to cool 50W for more than a few seconds? 


These things need to be properly heatsinked or they will die quickly. 


I’m not an expert but don’t forget 50watts is spread over 203mm by 127mm, so not like trying to cool a 3×3mm led in a normal flashlight.
DBSAR
DBSAR's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 13 hours ago
Joined: 02/11/2013 - 23:28
Posts: 6188
Location: Ontario, Canada
Glenn7 wrote:
Valynor wrote:

This light does not seem to have the mass nor surface to cool 50W for more than a few seconds? 


These things need to be properly heatsinked or they will die quickly. 

I’m not an expert but don’t forget 50watts is spread over 203mm by 127mm, so not like trying to cool a 3×3mm led in a normal flashlight.

even at that flat area, to passively cool a true 50-watt LED panel needs fins on a thicker heat sink or a fan of some sort, as it will get extremely hot.

That Canadian flashlight guy & Lantern Guru -Den / DBSARlight

DBSAR
DBSAR's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 13 hours ago
Joined: 02/11/2013 - 23:28
Posts: 6188
Location: Ontario, Canada

Glenn7 wrote:
Good find! but the first one is smaller with higher watts – people say it overheats and needs a fan or heatsink, making it less portable costing more and too annoying IMO (one guy said 24W using 12v so less output?) The INFINIUM doesn’t overheat supposably, also I like that it has warm and cool led colours.
The second one seems like an ok idea, but can’t find where to buy it from and seems like Chinese clickbait for alliexpress – did you read the description next to the pictures?? (car card paper towel passport badge napkin toothbrush brush make up key) also in the description, it says COB but in one of the pic’s it has multi LEDs – what happens not if but when the remote stops (I now see it has a manual switch), also where I live that pole would snap/blow away.

I suppose you could easily mount any of these COBs to a 3mm sheet of Alu/Copper from the hardware store for more heatsink.

Those links were just for one example, they can be found from many sellers & suppliers, or easily built from the panel and some components.

That Canadian flashlight guy & Lantern Guru -Den / DBSARlight

Glenn7
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 15 hours ago
Joined: 01/17/2012 - 08:02
Posts: 209
Location: Tasmania Australia

Just found one but 800watts @ 2400L Facepalm but still $40USD Here

DBSAR
DBSAR's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 13 hours ago
Joined: 02/11/2013 - 23:28
Posts: 6188
Location: Ontario, Canada
Glenn7 wrote:
Just found one but 800watts @ 2400L Facepalm but still $40USD Here

obviously way over exaggerated watts, a panel that size is likely to be no more than a true 20 to 25 watts at most.

That Canadian flashlight guy & Lantern Guru -Den / DBSARlight

will34
will34's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 days 23 hours ago
Joined: 12/18/2012 - 00:12
Posts: 3691

The picture with the Middle East guys using a extension to raise this cob a dozen feet up in the air and powering them straight from the car battery is simply genius… I’d never thought that could be a use for those giant cobs and given the relatively low <15A draw you could probably power it all night and still left with juice to start the car next morning.

djozz
djozz's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 50 min ago
Joined: 09/07/2012 - 17:04
Posts: 16433
Location: Amsterdam

A bit weird that in these days they can get away with just mentioning “cool” and “warm”, and the only thing added in small letters is “from 4000K to 7000K” which is even a bad range. Or am I missing a datasheet with tint, CRI, R9 etc.? It is not just BLF anymore that finds those data essential for a purchase decision and application, at least the whole lighting industry thinks that is important to know nowadays.

Agro
Agro's picture
Online
Last seen: 51 sec ago
Joined: 05/14/2017 - 11:16
Posts: 5387
Location: Ślōnsk


20×12 cm? The person jumping on it must be very small. I’m afraid they employ child workers.

spinynorman
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 23 min ago
Joined: 02/07/2017 - 16:14
Posts: 230
Location: Eastern NC

Make sure the pole that is attached is plenty strong as I imagine your fellow campers will be using it as a canoe paddle after blinding them all night.

Sunnysunsun
Sunnysunsun's picture
Offline
Last seen: 11 hours 4 min ago
Joined: 08/09/2019 - 12:51
Posts: 83
Location: Toronto

This has markings of a scam all over it. In the photo mentioned in post 2, the light source isn’t even coming from the lantern. Yes, lantern. It looks the like the same light is used in both photos and there’s even still behind the light in the half on the right? Why does that occur and why is the light’s base orange? It’s the same lantern in both shots as you can see in a clearer photo further down the page.

That lack of overexposure in the video when he turns on the “5600” lumen light is also odd. When I look at a 1600 lumen lightbulb with a camera, the rest of the frame goes dark. Why is his face still visible when the camera is so close to a 5600 lumen light source?

Most things on kickstarter are scammy and fail to deliver. I don’t see this light being any different.

rockhound42
rockhound42's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 18 hours ago
Joined: 04/22/2013 - 07:01
Posts: 139
Location: London

Think I’ll just stick with my LT1. Wink

djozz
djozz's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 50 min ago
Joined: 09/07/2012 - 17:04
Posts: 16433
Location: Amsterdam
infinum wrote:

They need to re-do their tint homework too, sloppy mix-up of CCT’s…

DBSAR
DBSAR's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 13 hours ago
Joined: 02/11/2013 - 23:28
Posts: 6188
Location: Ontario, Canada

Sunnysunsun wrote:
This has markings of a scam all over it. In the photo mentioned in post 2, the light source isn’t even coming from the lantern. Yes, lantern. It looks the like the same light is used in both photos and there’s even still behind the light in the half on the right? Why does that occur and why is the light’s base orange? It’s the same lantern in both shots as you can see in a clearer photo further down the page.

That lack of overexposure in the video when he turns on the “5600” lumen light is also odd. When I look at a 1600 lumen lightbulb with a camera, the rest of the frame goes dark. Why is his face still visible when the camera is so close to a 5600 lumen light source?

Most things on kickstarter are scammy and fail to deliver. I don’t see this light being any different.

Well said Thumbs Up I seen many of those kick-starter things just be scams to take money and disappear.

That Canadian flashlight guy & Lantern Guru -Den / DBSARlight

Lexel
Lexel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 10 hours 20 min ago
Joined: 11/01/2016 - 08:00
Posts: 5583
Location: Germany

SCAM alert!