Anyone here used the AceBeam EC35 or AceBeam EC35 Gen II?

11 posts / 0 new
Last post
JIMLOKK
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 6 hours ago
Joined: 01/09/2020 - 09:38
Posts: 3
Location: Western Australia
Anyone here used the AceBeam EC35 or AceBeam EC35 Gen II?

Is it worth the few extra bucks for the gen II? comparing the run times from the website there seems to be a pretty drastic difference between the two. And is the UI exactly the same for them both?

Anthon
Online
Last seen: 6 min 14 sec ago
Joined: 09/07/2015 - 10:33
Posts: 606

They are only similar in size, shape and name

The new model can be controlled entirelly with the side switch. The rear switch is only for turbo mode (from on or off)

The new model also has USB C connector and can be used as a powerbank

I’ve had both and I really like the new model. The only drawbacks are the LED choice (LH351D 6500k, what were you thinking Acebeam?) and that the indicator led for battery charge is totally useless (it lights green from 100% to 11%)

Note that there is a mistake in the manual and when you engage electronic lockout, none of the switchs will work (the manual says that the rear switch remains available to use for turbo in an emergency)

FlashKat
Online
Last seen: 12 min 34 sec ago
Joined: 11/27/2014 - 20:54
Posts: 166
Location: Anaheim, CA

I recommend the Fenix PD36R over Acebeam if you want to use 21700 batteries, since it will have a longer runtime and it’s brighter.

BurningPlayd0h
BurningPlayd0h's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 5 hours ago
Joined: 06/22/2018 - 02:16
Posts: 915
Location: MN
FlashKat wrote:
I recommend the Fenix PD36R over Acebeam if you want to use 21700 batteries, since it will have a longer runtime and it’s brighter.

Also a completely different UI (inferior IMO, especially as a duty/defensive light) and no emitter options.

Anthon
Online
Last seen: 6 min 14 sec ago
Joined: 09/07/2015 - 10:33
Posts: 606

Pd36r has no moonlight mode and no shortcut to any mode except last used one. EC35 II has shortcuts to moonlight, last used mode, turbo and strobe, and don’t forget the powerbank function

FlashKat
Online
Last seen: 12 min 34 sec ago
Joined: 11/27/2014 - 20:54
Posts: 166
Location: Anaheim, CA

It all depends on what user prefers for use on a daily basis. The Acebeam EC35 has the same UI as the Fenix PD36R. The Acebeam EC35 II is different, but prefer the original UI.

RobertB
RobertB's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 55 min ago
Joined: 12/18/2015 - 17:49
Posts: 3406
Location: USA, Michigan

The original was/is a fantastic light. A shame they discontinued it

FlashKat
Online
Last seen: 12 min 34 sec ago
Joined: 11/27/2014 - 20:54
Posts: 166
Location: Anaheim, CA

I like the original Acebeam EC35, but I prefer the Fenix PD36R since it is 1600 lumens with a 21700 battery. It is also the same size, and I don’t need to recharge my battery as often.

RobertB wrote:
The original was/is a fantastic light. A shame they discontinued it
JIMLOKK
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 6 hours ago
Joined: 01/09/2020 - 09:38
Posts: 3
Location: Western Australia

Anthon wrote:
They are only similar in size, shape and name

The new model can be controlled entirelly with the side switch. The rear switch is only for turbo mode (from on or off)

The new model also has USB C connector and can be used as a powerbank

I’ve had both and I really like the new model. The only drawbacks are the LED choice (LH351D 6500k, what were you thinking Acebeam?) and that the indicator led for battery charge is totally useless (it lights green from 100% to 11%)

Note that there is a mistake in the manual and when you engage electronic lockout, none of the switchs will work (the manual says that the rear switch remains available to use for turbo in an emergency)

Thanks so much for this. A bit of a bummer, I was hoping that the UI would be the same. Although I do like USB C connector and the shortcut to turbo on the Gen II, it doesn’t really tie in with what I’m looking for at the moment. And I did question why they even bothered to put that battery indicator on haha

JIMLOKK
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 6 hours ago
Joined: 01/09/2020 - 09:38
Posts: 3
Location: Western Australia
FlashKat wrote:
I like the original Acebeam EC35, but I prefer the Fenix PD36R since it is 1600 lumens with a 21700 battery. It is also the same size, and I don’t need to recharge my battery as often.

I was pretty set on getting the EC35, but after hearing about the PD36R i’m glad I held off, Ive just ordered mine. The UI is simple and perfect for what I was looking for, thanks for your recommendation

FlashKat
Online
Last seen: 12 min 34 sec ago
Joined: 11/27/2014 - 20:54
Posts: 166
Location: Anaheim, CA

I am an Acebeam person that carried the Acebeam EC35 for a long time until I read about the Fenix PD36R. I bought the Fenix PD36R, and it became my favorite EDC plus it is so much brighter.

JIMLOKK wrote:
FlashKat wrote:
I like the original Acebeam EC35, but I prefer the Fenix PD36R since it is 1600 lumens with a 21700 battery. It is also the same size, and I don’t need to recharge my battery as often.

I was pretty set on getting the EC35, but after hearing about the PD36R i’m glad I held off, Ive just ordered mine. The UI is simple and perfect for what I was looking for, thanks for your recommendation