Drop Lumintop Vega AA

14 posts / 0 new
Last post
Muto
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 24 min ago
Joined: 09/04/2012 - 16:42
Posts: 2210
Location: Southeast, PA
Drop Lumintop Vega AA

Postman just dropped the new version Drop Lumintop Vega AA.
Got it in the Olive color with neutral emitter. Tint looks better in real life compared to what they show.

This is a whole new animal compared to the regular and Ti AA Tool 2.0.
Thicker battery tube metal and just bigger diameter all over. No interchanging parts from the old will be possible as far as body parts.
New tail is great, tail stands as well as on the head, rock solid.

New button has good feel nice deep click so should not come on in pocket as easy as some others.
Tailcap charged up instantly unlike the AAA tool with electronic switch.
Update;
Been confirmed this switch is not electronic as Lumintop describes in manual, it is mechanical.

Don’t have time to take pics but will show some here from the drop site.
Also the one received has the extra magnetic tailcap, they do list it in description but it is not shown on Drop.
Both the head and tail threads are lubed well from factory.
Low is lower on AA than the previous 2.0 version.
Six quick clicks gets you to strobe. Has mode memory.

Dislikes;
The mode spacing seems too close between High and Turbo on AA, however because of this if High will do in your situation it will last a lot longer so it may be a blessing after all, time will tell.
Later,

Keith

Drop-AATool2-0-2
Drop-AATool2-0-1
Drop-AATool2-0-5
Drop-AATool2-0-4

“History doesn’t repeat itself, but it sometimes rhymes,” Mark Twain

After the Apocalypse there will be only 2 things left alive, Cockroaches and Keith Richards
..

Big Sky Country

Edited by: Muto on 01/28/2020 - 21:45
1stein
1stein's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 11 min ago
Joined: 12/24/2017 - 16:25
Posts: 697
Location: Poland

These look great Love

MascaratumB
MascaratumB's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 32 min ago
Joined: 10/29/2016 - 12:12
Posts: 4478
Location: Portugal

I only wished that tailswitch could work well with another type of driver only for 14500 cells Tired

[REVIEWS] ACEBEAM: H20 / TK16 /// AMUTORCH: S3 / S3 vs 219c / AM30 / AX1 / VG10 /// BLITZWOLF: BW-ET1 /// BRINYTE: T28 /// DQG: AA Slim Ti /// FIREFLIES: ROT66 GEN II /// HC-LIGHTS: SS AAA /// KLARUS: XT1C /// LIVARNOLUX: 314791 /// LUMINTOP: Tool AA V2.0 + Tool 25 /// NITEFOX: UT20 / ES10K / K3 /// ODEPRO: KL52 / B108 /// OLIGHT: M2R Warrior /// ON THE ROAD: M1 / i3 / M3 Pro /// ROVYVON: A2 + A5R / E300S / A8 /// SKILHUNT: M150 /// SOFIRN: SF14 + SP10A / SP32A / SP10B /// WUBEN: TO10R / E05 / T70 / E10 / TO50R / E19 /// XTAR: PB2 Charger ///

Tricks: 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8 /// TIR Lenses: 1 / 2/// Others: Biscotti 3 + 1*7135 / Triple TIR w/ XP-G2 ///// My Collection ///// My Review's Blog (PT)

OL Contest 2019

GIVEAWAY: 1 / 2

Hugh Johnson
Hugh Johnson's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 4 min ago
Joined: 01/16/2017 - 19:03
Posts: 376
Location: New Brighton

3.7 lumens on nimh low is a no go for me. I won’t consider anything that doesn’t go low into sublumens. The two higher levels are also too close but less problematic for me.

Anduril would solve all mode spacing issues except for maybe the floor. Hope that gets developed for lower voltage cells.

Agro
Agro's picture
Offline
Last seen: 10 hours 3 min ago
Joined: 05/14/2017 - 11:16
Posts: 5579
Location: Ślōnsk

Why larger?….Tool wasn’t flimsy or weak.

BobbyRS
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 2 days ago
Joined: 12/27/2019 - 17:16
Posts: 62
Location: USA

Those look beautiful. Too bad they don’t have a deep pocket clip. Maybe they went a little thicker to get more runtime on turbo with a li-ion cell, idk.

NorthernHarrier
NorthernHarrier's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 16 hours ago
Joined: 11/30/2018 - 12:05
Posts: 95
Location: Eastern USA

New version? New as of when? I’ve seen the current offering on Drop for quite a while now, and didn’t notice any new version lately. Is the button action solid? Some people have complained the button does not provide a positive action when it isn’t pressed right on the center. I’d appreciate knowing your opinion on the button. I might go for this light, rather than the Tool AA version, but I need to know if the button is solid and works well.

Nice to hear the beam looks good on the Nichia version, because there have been some complaints about the Tool AA 2.0 with Nichia emitter having a very large dead spot in the middle of the beam. I have no idea if that is true in many cases, but that’s what some people have been saying, when they get their Nichia version.

BOO5TED
BOO5TED's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 24 min ago
Joined: 04/16/2019 - 20:53
Posts: 352
Location: ATL

No 14500 support, no interest.

"America has three cities, New York, San Francisco and New Orleans. Everywhere else is Cleveland."- Tennessee Williams

 

Muto
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 24 min ago
Joined: 09/04/2012 - 16:42
Posts: 2210
Location: Southeast, PA
BOO5TED wrote:
No 14500 support, no interest.

What are you talking about?
Most certainly has 14500 support, same as regular Tool AA 2.0

“History doesn’t repeat itself, but it sometimes rhymes,” Mark Twain

After the Apocalypse there will be only 2 things left alive, Cockroaches and Keith Richards
..

Big Sky Country

Muto
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 24 min ago
Joined: 09/04/2012 - 16:42
Posts: 2210
Location: Southeast, PA

NorthernHarrier wrote:
New version? New as of when? I’ve seen the current offering on Drop for quite a while now, and didn’t notice any new version lately. Is the button action solid? Some people have complained the button does not provide a positive action when it isn’t pressed right on the center. I’d appreciate knowing your opinion on the button. I might go for this light, rather than the Tool AA version, but I need to know if the button is solid and works well.

Nice to hear the beam looks good on the Nichia version, because there have been some complaints about the Tool AA 2.0 with Nichia emitter having a very large dead spot in the middle of the beam. I have no idea if that is true in many cases, but that’s what some people have been saying, when they get their Nichia version.

It’s not Nichia, you may be confusing this with the AAA Tool model maybe.
This uses CREE XP-L HD (cool white 70 CRI or natural white 80 CRI)
Don’t know of another Tool AA with button issues, this one uses a large metal button but it does do half presses unlike the AAA model which is press on-off to cycle modes.
Anyway, so far button feels great but remember Just got it today so need to EDC it for a while to give longer review.

Keep in mind that Drop seems to co mingle the old reviews of some products with the newer versions which is like Amazon does and it really sucks when you are reading a review about an old model, You have to look at the date of review and then know when the new models were released to know which item they are reviewing. Stupid on their part. Is what it is.

HTH

“History doesn’t repeat itself, but it sometimes rhymes,” Mark Twain

After the Apocalypse there will be only 2 things left alive, Cockroaches and Keith Richards
..

Big Sky Country

BOO5TED
BOO5TED's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 24 min ago
Joined: 04/16/2019 - 20:53
Posts: 352
Location: ATL
Muto wrote:
BOO5TED wrote:
No 14500 support, no interest.

What are you talking about?
Most certainly has 14500 support, same as regular Tool AA 2.0

They must have updated since the last drop. The previous one had issues with the switch handling the current from 14500. Drop recommended AA cells only.

"America has three cities, New York, San Francisco and New Orleans. Everywhere else is Cleveland."- Tennessee Williams

 

NorthernHarrier
NorthernHarrier's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 16 hours ago
Joined: 11/30/2018 - 12:05
Posts: 95
Location: Eastern USA

Muto wrote:
NorthernHarrier wrote:
New version? New as of when? I’ve seen the current offering on Drop for quite a while now, and didn’t notice any new version lately. Is the button action solid? Some people have complained the button does not provide a positive action when it isn’t pressed right on the center. I’d appreciate knowing your opinion on the button. I might go for this light, rather than the Tool AA version, but I need to know if the button is solid and works well.

Nice to hear the beam looks good on the Nichia version, because there have been some complaints about the Tool AA 2.0 with Nichia emitter having a very large dead spot in the middle of the beam. I have no idea if that is true in many cases, but that’s what some people have been saying, when they get their Nichia version.

It’s not Nichia, you may be confusing this with the AAA Tool model maybe.
This uses CREE XP-L HD (cool white 70 CRI or natural white 80 CRI)
Don’t know of another Tool AA with button issues, this one uses a large metal button but it does do half presses unlike the AAA model which is press on-off to cycle modes.
Anyway, so far button feels great but remember Just got it today so need to EDC it for a while to give longer review.

Keep in mind that Drop seems to co mingle the old reviews of some products with the newer versions which is like Amazon does and it really sucks when you are reading a review about an old model, You have to look at the date of review and then know when the new models were released to know which item they are reviewing. Stupid on their part. Is what it is.

HTH

Sorry I missed that it uses a XP-L LED, not Nichia. Yes, I know Drop mixes old and new reviews, and I do look at the date of the reviews, but there are fairly recent reviews that mention the switch being somewhat tricky to use. It isn’t clear when the product was updated, from looking at the product page. Thanks for the response to my questions.

Muto
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 24 min ago
Joined: 09/04/2012 - 16:42
Posts: 2210
Location: Southeast, PA

Update;
Been confirmed this switch is Not electronic as Lumintop describes in manual, it is mechanical.

“History doesn’t repeat itself, but it sometimes rhymes,” Mark Twain

After the Apocalypse there will be only 2 things left alive, Cockroaches and Keith Richards
..

Big Sky Country

MascaratumB
MascaratumB's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 32 min ago
Joined: 10/29/2016 - 12:12
Posts: 4478
Location: Portugal

Muto wrote:
Update;
Been confirmed this switch is Not electronic as Lumintop describes in manual, it is mechanical.

Hum…does it mean that it would work fine with a non-original driver? (concerning not adulterating mode sequence, memory, etc?)

[REVIEWS] ACEBEAM: H20 / TK16 /// AMUTORCH: S3 / S3 vs 219c / AM30 / AX1 / VG10 /// BLITZWOLF: BW-ET1 /// BRINYTE: T28 /// DQG: AA Slim Ti /// FIREFLIES: ROT66 GEN II /// HC-LIGHTS: SS AAA /// KLARUS: XT1C /// LIVARNOLUX: 314791 /// LUMINTOP: Tool AA V2.0 + Tool 25 /// NITEFOX: UT20 / ES10K / K3 /// ODEPRO: KL52 / B108 /// OLIGHT: M2R Warrior /// ON THE ROAD: M1 / i3 / M3 Pro /// ROVYVON: A2 + A5R / E300S / A8 /// SKILHUNT: M150 /// SOFIRN: SF14 + SP10A / SP32A / SP10B /// WUBEN: TO10R / E05 / T70 / E10 / TO50R / E19 /// XTAR: PB2 Charger ///

Tricks: 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8 /// TIR Lenses: 1 / 2/// Others: Biscotti 3 + 1*7135 / Triple TIR w/ XP-G2 ///// My Collection ///// My Review's Blog (PT)

OL Contest 2019

GIVEAWAY: 1 / 2