*The "Micro Lanterns" -What i built and modified!

27 posts / 0 new
Last post
DBSAR
DBSAR's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 3 min ago
Joined: 02/11/2013 - 23:28
Posts: 6240
Location: Ontario, Canada
*The "Micro Lanterns" -What i built and modified!

I know a few was waiting for this topic with the video about the many micro lanterns i built & modded, the video shows most of the details.

- These all range from 5 lumens up to 50 lumens, and all brighter than a candle, even the tinyest, wallet size, which has a run time of 20+ hours on a CR2032 coin.

- Also both the micro “Hurricane lantern” and micro camping lantern, (smaller than a C-battery) has run times of 20+ hours on, and have a fire-fly glow mode that will likely run for 4+ years on a CR2032.

Below is the innards of the simple “wallet lantern” with 20+ hours run time and brighter than a candle.

The video of the many micro lanterns below:

That Canadian flashlight guy & Lantern Guru -Den / DBSARlight

nydude
Offline
Last seen: 14 hours 32 min ago
Joined: 08/29/2017 - 22:11
Posts: 233
Location: United States

These are very cool. thanks for sharing.

Watermanchris
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 50 min ago
Joined: 08/06/2019 - 09:12
Posts: 314
Location: Deerfield Beach, FL

Well, if you’re building a LT1 micro, I’m in for a handful.

Can you send me a link to that 5mm wallet lantern? I’ve got some high CRI 5mm leds I want to swap into it.

DBSAR
DBSAR's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 3 min ago
Joined: 02/11/2013 - 23:28
Posts: 6240
Location: Ontario, Canada

Watermanchris wrote:
Well, if you’re building a LT1 micro, I’m in for a handful.

Can you send me a link to that 5mm wallet lantern? I’ve got some high CRI 5mm leds I want to swap into it.

Its just a flat dual CR2032 battery holder, (the rest i modified & added, the LED, resistor, and rewired it for 2P set up.
its found here:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/5pcs-CR2032-6V-Button-Cell-Battery-Holder-Case-...

That Canadian flashlight guy & Lantern Guru -Den / DBSARlight

agent80
Offline
Last seen: 21 min 40 sec ago
Joined: 01/06/2013 - 02:28
Posts: 419

Incredibly cool!

Watermanchris
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 50 min ago
Joined: 08/06/2019 - 09:12
Posts: 314
Location: Deerfield Beach, FL

DBSAR wrote:
Watermanchris wrote:
Well, if you’re building a LT1 micro, I’m in for a handful.

Can you send me a link to that 5mm wallet lantern? I’ve got some high CRI 5mm leds I want to swap into it.

Its just a flat dual CR2032 battery holder, (the rest i modified & added, the LED, resistor, and rewired it for 2P set up.
its found here:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/5pcs-CR2032-6V-Button-Cell-Battery-Holder-Case-...


I ordered a 5 pack of those to build my own. What size resistor did you go with? I can’t see the full color code. Would you do anything differently?
dekozn
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 9 hours ago
Joined: 06/17/2016 - 09:04
Posts: 779
Location: Be

I’m wondering where u found that red mini hurricane lantern. That’s really cute.

Idiot proofing something only creates improved idiots.

DBSAR
DBSAR's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 3 min ago
Joined: 02/11/2013 - 23:28
Posts: 6240
Location: Ontario, Canada
Watermanchris wrote:
I ordered a 5 pack of those to build my own. What size resistor did you go with? I can’t see the full color code. Would you do anything differently?

its a 22 ohm 1/8 watt resistor.

That Canadian flashlight guy & Lantern Guru -Den / DBSARlight

DBSAR
DBSAR's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 3 min ago
Joined: 02/11/2013 - 23:28
Posts: 6240
Location: Ontario, Canada
dekozn wrote:
I’m wondering where u found that red mini hurricane lantern. That’s really cute.

it was a tiny pencil sharpener found at a local dollar store. Cool

That Canadian flashlight guy & Lantern Guru -Den / DBSARlight

iamlucky13
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 55 min ago
Joined: 06/22/2018 - 09:18
Posts: 661
Location: USA

I had been looking forward to your post about these. Thanks!

I need to find one of those pencil sharpeners, especially now that I’ve received my 2400K 5mm LED’s from rngwn.

It might be this. Is 3” tall about right?
https://www.amazon.com/TreasureGurus-LLC-Miniature-Camping-Sharpener/dp/B0779MNW12
It seems dollhouse and railroad miniatures are the terms to search for.

Was there a specific switch you used? I assume it’s a 3-position switch with one leg either direct drive or run through a small value resistor, and the other leg a high value resistor?

DBSAR
DBSAR's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 3 min ago
Joined: 02/11/2013 - 23:28
Posts: 6240
Location: Ontario, Canada

iamlucky13 wrote:
I had been looking forward to your post about these. Thanks!

I need to find one of those pencil sharpeners, especially now that I’ve received my 2400K 5mm LED’s from rngwn.

It might be this. Is 3” tall about right?
https://www.amazon.com/TreasureGurus-LLC-Miniature-Camping-Sharpener/dp/B0779MNW12

It seems dollhouse and railroad miniatures are the terms to search for.

Was there a specific switch you used? I assume it’s a 3-position switch with one leg either direct drive or run through a small value resistor, and the other leg a high value resistor?

i can’t get that link to work..

but this is the same one here: >> https://www.pencilthings.com/product-p/mei%20mx4028.htm

I used a single/dual on/off micro DIP switch. i used a 22 ohm , 1/8 watt resistor for the “on” mode, and used a 400K ( 400,000 ohm) 1/8 watt for the night glow mode that is wired direct to the battery holder.

That Canadian flashlight guy & Lantern Guru -Den / DBSARlight

iamlucky13
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 55 min ago
Joined: 06/22/2018 - 09:18
Posts: 661
Location: USA

DBSAR wrote:
iamlucky13 wrote:
I had been looking forward to your post about these. Thanks!

I need to find one of those pencil sharpeners, especially now that I’ve received my 2400K 5mm LED’s from rngwn.

It might be this. Is 3” tall about right?
https://www.amazon.com/TreasureGurus-LLC-Miniature-Camping-Sharpener/dp/B0779MNW12
It seems dollhouse and railroad miniatures are the terms to search for.

Was there a specific switch you used? I assume it’s a 3-position switch with one leg either direct drive or run through a small value resistor, and the other leg a high value resistor?

i can’t get that link to work..

but this is the same one here: >> https://www.pencilthings.com/product-p/mei%20mx4028.htm

I used a single/dual on/off micro DIP switch. i used a 22 ohm , 1/8 watt resistor for the “on” mode, and used a 400K ( 400,000 ohm) 1/8 watt for the night glow mode that is wired direct to the battery holder.

Thanks for the details! Also, the link should be fixed.

Parametrek
Parametrek's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 days 8 hours ago
Joined: 02/08/2017 - 19:50
Posts: 142

Great video and some very nice mods. A few comments:

“We’re all familiar with the foxton”

You mean the fauxton. “faux” being french and pronounced “pho” and means fake. It is still pronounced pho-ton. Get the joke? Smile

I do agree with you on CR2032 being a nice little battery. It is my favorite for last-ditch lights.

Those remote phosphor LEDs look great! I’ve just looked through 2000 products on Aliexpress and Alibaba trying to find a supplier. Came up empty handed though. Tell us if you ever manage to find them.

I also really like the idea of the always-on firefly bypass resistor. I will have to add that to some of my lights.

Allow me to introduce you to my favorite little lantern: https://www.coghlans.com/products/led-micro-lantern-0842

It runs on 2xCR2032 and comes with a Nichia LED. It has possibly the most impressive diffuser I’ve seen on a lantern this size. Conical mirror combined with a reeded linear optic. Of course I replaced the LED with a 3200k yuji. The keychain junk was replaced with a lanyard. I make my lanyards a bit longer than yours – just long enough to slip over a door knob. The battery situation was trickier. What I ended up doing was replacing a CR2032 with a thin rare earth magnet. So now it is dimmer and I can stick it just about anywhere between the lanyard and the magnet.

Try the largest, fastest, most flexible flashlight search engine: parametrek.com

40 brands, 2027 models and still growing!

NEW: sleeping pad search engine, battery database

MRsDNF
MRsDNF's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 31 min ago
Joined: 12/22/2011 - 21:18
Posts: 13212
Location: A light beam away from the missus in the land of Aus.

The king of lanterns. You have had hours of fun and amusement there and no doubt a little frustration at times. Love

 

djozz quotes, "it came with chinese lettering that is chinese to me".

                      "My man mousehole needs one too"

old4570 said "I'm not an expert , so don't suffer from any such technical restrictions".

Old-Lumens. Highly admired and cherished member of Budget Light Forum. 11.5.2011 - 20.12.16. RIP.

 

Agro
Agro's picture
Online
Last seen: 1 min 26 sec ago
Joined: 05/14/2017 - 11:16
Posts: 5576
Location: Ślōnsk

You made me decide to buy 2 lights. Facepalm Beer
The NEBO and the smallest CR2032 ones. Though I fail to find a cheap source of the latter, FT seems the best, $3.51 for a 10-pack with the BLF coupon. I have a feeling they can be had for less…

Agro
Agro's picture
Online
Last seen: 1 min 26 sec ago
Joined: 05/14/2017 - 11:16
Posts: 5576
Location: Ślōnsk

As to remote phosphor LEDs – I also failed to find any. Though I see that diffuse lenses are easy to get. I suppose they are not good enough?

DBSAR
DBSAR's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 3 min ago
Joined: 02/11/2013 - 23:28
Posts: 6240
Location: Ontario, Canada

Parametrek wrote:

Allow me to introduce you to my favorite little lantern: https://www.coghlans.com/products/led-micro-lantern-0842

I have seen those in photos, but we never had them here in Canada to get my hands on one to modify. Big Smile

That Canadian flashlight guy & Lantern Guru -Den / DBSARlight

DBSAR
DBSAR's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 3 min ago
Joined: 02/11/2013 - 23:28
Posts: 6240
Location: Ontario, Canada
MRsDNF wrote:
The king of lanterns. You have had hours of fun and amusement there and no doubt a little frustration at times. Love

Yes very much so for the frustration at times, but the quest to create the perfect tiny lantern has always been a goal. Big Smile

That Canadian flashlight guy & Lantern Guru -Den / DBSARlight

DBSAR
DBSAR's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 3 min ago
Joined: 02/11/2013 - 23:28
Posts: 6240
Location: Ontario, Canada
Agro wrote:
As to remote phosphor LEDs – I also failed to find any. Though I see that diffuse lenses are easy to get. I suppose they are not good enough?

I wish i knew who makes those remote-phosphor warm-white 5mm LEDs, as they are the most efficient, widest light-angle tiny low-power LEDs i ever seen. these seems to glow the brightest of any LED i ever tested for a white LED on a 300K+ or higher resistor. (other than the tiny straw-hat blue LEDs) So far its only in the Walmart $1 garden solar lights i have found them.

That Canadian flashlight guy & Lantern Guru -Den / DBSARlight

ecotack
ecotack's picture
Offline
Last seen: 13 hours 23 min ago
Joined: 11/11/2016 - 06:50
Posts: 171
Location: UK, Cumbria

I had a search last night for the remote phosphor LEDs and couldn’t find any, but just did a quick google for 360 5mm LED and there are a few in the image search.

The other ones I thought may be good for a even light are the filament LED, like you get in retro bulbs. They are easy to find on eBay, aliexpress etc.

iamlucky13
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 55 min ago
Joined: 06/22/2018 - 09:18
Posts: 661
Location: USA
Agro wrote:
As to remote phosphor LEDs – I also failed to find any. Though I see that diffuse lenses are easy to get. I suppose they are not good enough?

Maybe sanding the dome on one of rngwn’s LED’s would result in a comparable light distribution? There would be a little bit of light loss, but it should diffuse it.

DBSAR
DBSAR's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 3 min ago
Joined: 02/11/2013 - 23:28
Posts: 6240
Location: Ontario, Canada
ecotack wrote:
I had a search last night for the remote phosphor LEDs and couldn’t find any, but just did a quick google for “360 5mm LED

I have thought about trying those filament LEDs, they do seem like a good idea for small lanterns. I was always curious though of their efficiency vs. amp draw, as the filament LED used a couple dozen tiny separate LED diodes along a micro PCB strip, coated in a remote phosphor “tube” as such, versus a single remote-phosphor 5mm that uses a single LED diode in the center. Some of those 5mm LEDs in that 360 degree search does look close to the ones i have.

That Canadian flashlight guy & Lantern Guru -Den / DBSARlight

DBSAR
DBSAR's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 3 min ago
Joined: 02/11/2013 - 23:28
Posts: 6240
Location: Ontario, Canada
iamlucky13 wrote:
Agro wrote:
As to remote phosphor LEDs – I also failed to find any. Though I see that diffuse lenses are easy to get. I suppose they are not good enough?

Maybe sanding the dome on one of rngwn’s LED’s would result in a comparable light distribution? There would be a little bit of light loss, but it should diffuse it.

yep, did that too Big Smile it does increase the light distribution, but it does create some light loss.

That Canadian flashlight guy & Lantern Guru -Den / DBSARlight

dekozn
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 9 hours ago
Joined: 06/17/2016 - 09:04
Posts: 779
Location: Be
DBSAR wrote:
dekozn wrote:
I’m wondering where u found that red mini hurricane lantern. That’s really cute.

it was a tiny pencil sharpener found at a local dollar store. Cool


That’s really cool man, I like it.

Idiot proofing something only creates improved idiots.

amishbill
amishbill's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 14 hours ago
Joined: 05/01/2019 - 10:03
Posts: 695
Location: GA

DBSAR wrote:
Parametrek wrote:

Allow me to introduce you to my favorite little lantern: https://www.coghlans.com/products/led-micro-lantern-0842

I have seen those in photos, but we never had them here in Canada to get my hands on one to modify. Big Smile

Want one?
Or Two?

I’m sure Amazon or Walmart will ship to Snowlandia…

DIY LT1 battery wrap image. "PDF on Google Drive":https://drive.google.com/open?id=1IHIEOi1NXu868IYNCzIM7D2Ulpxchmww

Fresh Sanyo NCR18650GAs already wrapped "for sale HERE":http://budgetlightforum.com/node/69120 if you like.

DBSAR
DBSAR's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 3 min ago
Joined: 02/11/2013 - 23:28
Posts: 6240
Location: Ontario, Canada

amishbill wrote:
DBSAR wrote:
Parametrek wrote:

Allow me to introduce you to my favorite little lantern: https://www.coghlans.com/products/led-micro-lantern-0842

I have seen those in photos, but we never had them here in Canada to get my hands on one to modify. Big Smile

Want one?
Or Two?

I’m sure Amazon or Walmart will ship to Snowlandia…

i can;t find them on our amazon.ca site, or our wallyworld.ca site. Cool

That Canadian flashlight guy & Lantern Guru -Den / DBSARlight

Parametrek
Parametrek's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 days 8 hours ago
Joined: 02/08/2017 - 19:50
Posts: 142
DBSAR wrote:
I have seen those in photos, but we never had them here in Canada to get my hands on one to modify. Big Smile

They are at amazon.ca: https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B001AZHFGQ/

I’ve also bought unbranded clones but I can’t find them anymore on aliexpress/dx/banggood.

Try the largest, fastest, most flexible flashlight search engine: parametrek.com

40 brands, 2027 models and still growing!

NEW: sleeping pad search engine, battery database