Help sourcing a multi-led MPCB for Convoy L6

15 posts / 0 new
Last post
gravelmonkey
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 58 min ago
Joined: 08/17/2012 - 20:28
Posts: 285
Location: UK/South America
Help sourcing a multi-led MPCB for Convoy L6

Hi All!

I’m looking for a circular (preferably copper core) multi-LED MPCB in the region of 44mm diameter.

I’m hoping to make a multi-LED mule (no reflector)

So far, LED4Power’s 34mm 6× 3535 footprint appears to be the best candidate, assuming they will sell it un-populated.

Does anyone know of anything else that may fit the bill?

Approaching this another way- are there any spacers available anywhere to allow the L6 to be used with a big TIR optic?

Thanks in advance!

Skylight
Skylight's picture
Offline
Last seen: 12 hours 55 min ago
Joined: 10/01/2018 - 04:49
Posts: 627
Location: Europe

You could ask Hank Wang. He can sell the bare Emisar D18 copper MCPCB which has 18 3535 led footprints for 10$, I think.

But those MCPCBs are all 3V while the L6 uses 6V with the long tube. Which kind of driver are you planning to use?

There is no spacer sold that I know about. I have made a copper spacer for my modified flashlight in this years Old lumens contest. The optics and MCPCB of the Mateminco MT18S fit perfectly in the L6. Here is my build thread: Matainvoy ML18S

My 7th Old lumens contest build: Matainvoy ML18S

My reviews: Sofirn SP31 V2.0Nightwatch NI40 StalkerSofirn C8F 21700Brinyte WT01 Apollo

Yokiamy
Yokiamy's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 25 min ago
Joined: 10/18/2016 - 15:47
Posts: 2286
Location: Netherlands

Who here was it again that built a multi emitter L6 clone?
Edit it’s called wainlight, i think it was someone in the Old Lumens contest

Skylight
Skylight's picture
Offline
Last seen: 12 hours 55 min ago
Joined: 10/01/2018 - 04:49
Posts: 627
Location: Europe

It was me, I already posted the link to my build thread. Smile

My 7th Old lumens contest build: Matainvoy ML18S

My reviews: Sofirn SP31 V2.0Nightwatch NI40 StalkerSofirn C8F 21700Brinyte WT01 Apollo

Yokiamy
Yokiamy's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 25 min ago
Joined: 10/18/2016 - 15:47
Posts: 2286
Location: Netherlands

Drat, should have read better, my bad

Still an awesome build !

Barkuti
Barkuti's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 18 min ago
Joined: 02/19/2014 - 14:46
Posts: 4803
Location: Alhama de Murcia, Spain

Just made some quick drawing, and it is possible to fit 3x ∅20 mm MCPCBs within ∅44 mm in a triangle shape. This makes it possible to use 4x3535 MCPCBs, which someone once called “frankenquads”. Frankenquads are available in 4S1P, 2S2P and 1S4P configurations, affordably being sold here for example (note: I once bought the single ∅20 mm 3535 MCPCB there and it wasn't DTP; the ∅20mm 5050 “XM-L” dubbed one also looks bad). This means you have complete flexibility, depending on which MCPCB types and their wiring choice, in selecting how you could drive up to 12x 3535 emitters: 1S12P, 2S6P (3x 2S2P quads in parallel), 3S4P (3x 1S4P quads in series), 4S3P (3x 4S1P quads in parallel), and even 6S2P and 12S1P. 

The Light Innocent I am

Deleting a post and redoing it causes the forum thread answer notifications to become invalid. Thus, if you need to change your just published post, edit it. Thanks.

Lexel
Lexel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 10 hours 21 min ago
Joined: 11/01/2016 - 08:00
Posts: 5815
Location: Germany
gravelmonkey
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 58 min ago
Joined: 08/17/2012 - 20:28
Posts: 285
Location: UK/South America

Great suggestions, thanks all!

Brilliant build, Skylight, I’d missed that one somehow! Love how it’s suggested a whole bunch of times in this thread by different people Big Smile

To give some more context for my original post, I’m trying to build a multi-emitter, 365nm UV monster, mostly for mineral collecting.

I’ll try and find a driver once I’ve more of a firm idea of the final design!

The Acebeam X18 has 16× 276A Nichia LED’s, I believe this is c.11.2mW UV output- I’m hoping to build something with at least this output.

Those 20mm frankenquads look good for a v.easy UV mod, 4x LG3535 LED’s in 2S2P should do ..7W? of longwave UV? And they should (hopefully) fit in the XHP-70 footprint, so minimal modification of the reflector would be required!

Thanks all, keep the suggestions coming, I’ll do a build diary post once design/parts are sorted!

Lexel
Lexel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 10 hours 21 min ago
Joined: 11/01/2016 - 08:00
Posts: 5815
Location: Germany

gravelmonkey wrote:
Great suggestions, thanks all!

Brilliant build, Skylight, I’d missed that one somehow! Love how it’s suggested a whole bunch of times in this thread by different people Big Smile

To give some more context for my original post, I’m trying to build a multi-emitter, 365nm UV monster, mostly for mineral collecting.

I’ll try and find a driver once I’ve more of a firm idea of the final design!

The Acebeam X18 has 16× 276A Nichia LED’s, I believe this is c.11.2mW UV output- I’m hoping to build something with at least this output.

Those 20mm frankenquads look good for a v.easy UV mod, 4x LG3535 LED’s in 2S2P should do ..7W? of longwave UV? And they should (hopefully) fit in the XHP-70 footprint, so minimal modification of the reflector would be required!

Thanks all, keep the suggestions coming, I’ll do a build diary post once design/parts are sorted!

you can’t use regular TIRs on 365nm
The Nichia NVSU333A is still a great fit on the L6, fits the same MCPCB, gets a much narrower beam than even dedomed XHP70.2 as the die is a lot smaller
you could use my buck driver to run it from 2S

Agro
Agro's picture
Online
Last seen: 1 min 48 sec ago
Joined: 05/14/2017 - 11:16
Posts: 5768
Location: Ślōnsk

Barkuti wrote:

Just made some quick drawing, and it is possible to fit 3x ∅20 mm MCPCBs within ∅44 mm in a triangle shape. This makes it possible to use 4×3535 MCPCBs, which someone once called “frankenquads”. Frankenquads are available in 4S1P, 2S2P and 1S4P configurations, affordably being sold here for example (note: I once bought the single ∅20 mm 3535 MCPCB there and it wasn’t DTP; the ∅20mm 5050 “XM-L” dubbed one also looks bad). This means you have complete flexibility, depending on which MCPCB types and their wiring choice, in selecting how you could drive up to 12× 3535 emitters: 1S12P, 2S6P (3× 2S2P quads in parallel), 3S4P (3× 1S4P quads in series), 4S3P (3× 4S1P quads in parallel), and even 6S2P and 12S1P. 


They could be even shaved to a smaller size. Maybe then 4 would fit?…
gravelmonkey
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 58 min ago
Joined: 08/17/2012 - 20:28
Posts: 285
Location: UK/South America

Thanks Lexel, I’m aware of the limitation on TIR, hence looking at mule or reflector lights.

L6 seems like a nice host both for heat sinking and also for it’s 2S cell arrangement, ZWB filters in correct diameter are available.

Might start with a C8F UV triple to warm up, I’ve been out of the game for a year and a bit. Silly

Lexel
Lexel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 10 hours 21 min ago
Joined: 11/01/2016 - 08:00
Posts: 5815
Location: Germany
Lexel
Lexel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 10 hours 21 min ago
Joined: 11/01/2016 - 08:00
Posts: 5815
Location: Germany

you have to be aware that many UV LEDs in 365nm have a really high voltage, so a single cell driver can use them only with mostly full cell with 100% output

Barkuti
Barkuti's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 18 min ago
Joined: 02/19/2014 - 14:46
Posts: 4803
Location: Alhama de Murcia, Spain

Agree, Agro, but filing MCPCBs requires care to avoid shorts. Maybe milling first the conductive tracks above, then cutting/filing the required bulk of each MCPCB.

Wow so what kind of optic do you aim to use gravelmonkey? Stock reflector with the above suggested NVSU333A would give some decent throw, while 3x of these could even be possible and nicely feasible in 3S1P with some powerful boost driver fed with 2S cells for some crazy UV output power. 3S UV led voltage is within range of a 4S or “12V” white led driver, and maybe Lexel could provide some special power driver here? Innocent 

The Light Innocent I am

Deleting a post and redoing it causes the forum thread answer notifications to become invalid. Thus, if you need to change your just published post, edit it. Thanks.

gravelmonkey
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 58 min ago
Joined: 08/17/2012 - 20:28
Posts: 285
Location: UK/South America
Barkuti wrote:

Agree, Agro, but filing MCPCBs requires care to avoid shorts. Maybe milling first the conductive tracks above, then cutting/filing the required bulk of each MCPCB.


Wow so what kind of optic do you aim to use gravelmonkey? Stock reflector with the above suggested NVSU333A would give some decent throw, while 3x of these could even be possible and nicely feasible in 3S1P with some powerful boost driver fed with 2S cells for some crazy UV output power. 3S UV led voltage is within range of a 4S or “12V” white led driver, and maybe Lexel could provide some special power driver here? Innocent 

Going to have to be a mule or reflector due to the nature of TIR lenses blocking UV.

I did start this investigation with the aim of monstrous UV output but maybe the NVSU333A in stock reflector would result in a more impressive light (due to the usual visual impact of throwers being more impressive than flooders).

Definitely don’t have the skills/budget for 3 of them!!

Same seller has” these “:https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33017072781.html?spm=2114.12010612.81483... which look like NVSU333A clones?

There are also many of the 4*3535 20mm diameter frankenboards which I think will fit. I’ve had a look but can’t find anyone fitting one into the stock L6 reflector with any LEDs (I’d have thought someone would have made a quad Nichia 219 or something!)

Might have to scale back my ambitions to build something more than a quad, it’s a while since I’ve soldered anything Silly