Replacement emitters in FW21 Pro?

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
DHart
Offline
Last seen: 5 days 14 hours ago
Joined: 01/17/2017 - 01:49
Posts: 103
Location: Arizona
Replacement emitters in FW21 Pro?

I have a stock FW21 Pro (NOT Wayne’s vn version). Does anyone know what the color temp is with the XHP50.2 emitters in this? 5000k? Or 6500k?

The color temp is ok for me, my only quibble with the XHP50.2 is the green corona around the hotspot is a little irksome, though not horrible – generally only noticeable when white wall hunting. That said, I do appreciate minor improvements in tint and beam quality, when I can get them.

I very much do like the light and the Auduril UI.

Is there another emitter option, to mod this light with, to get rid of the green corona, but still retain reasonably high, cool white, lumen levels? Would XP-L emitters work well in place of the XHP50.2 emitters?

I don’t care if I can’t hit 10,000 lumens on turbo. For the most part, I use the light within the ramp range, only using turbo very briefly, on occasion.

Edited by: DHart on 06/29/2020 - 02:31
Rayoui
Rayoui's picture
Offline
Last seen: 23 min 49 sec ago
Joined: 08/06/2019 - 00:38
Posts: 268
Location: Portland, OR

For XP-L you’d need a different MCPCB since they are 3535 package and XHP50.2 is 5050 package. Not sure what size MCPCB the FW21 Pro uses as its head is larger than other FW variants.

You could reflow some SST40 onto the existing MCPCB as they are also 5050 package. It might not be as bright as the XHP50.2 but it will still be much brighter than XP-L and it wouldn’t have any fried-egg tint shift across the beam.

DHart
Offline
Last seen: 5 days 14 hours ago
Joined: 01/17/2017 - 01:49
Posts: 103
Location: Arizona

Rayoui wrote:
For XP-L you’d need a different MCPCB since they are 3535 package and XHP50.2 is 5050 package. Not sure what size MCPCB the FW21 Pro uses as its head is larger than other FW variants.

You could reflow some SST40 onto the existing MCPCB as they are also 5050 package. It might not be as bright as the XHP50.2 but it will still be much brighter than XP-L and it wouldn’t have any fried-egg tint shift across the beam.

OK. Thank you. I wasn’t sure about the tint/beam quality of the SST40. No greenish corona nor greenish tint at lower outputs, I take it?

Rayoui
Rayoui's picture
Offline
Last seen: 23 min 49 sec ago
Joined: 08/06/2019 - 00:38
Posts: 268
Location: Portland, OR

DHart wrote:
Rayoui wrote:
For XP-L you’d need a different MCPCB since they are 3535 package and XHP50.2 is 5050 package. Not sure what size MCPCB the FW21 Pro uses as its head is larger than other FW variants.

You could reflow some SST40 onto the existing MCPCB as they are also 5050 package. It might not be as bright as the XHP50.2 but it will still be much brighter than XP-L and it wouldn’t have any fried-egg tint shift across the beam.

OK. Thank you. I wasn’t sure about the tint/beam quality of the SST40. No greenish corona nor greenish tint at lower outputs, I take it?

It will get slightly greener and warmer at low currents. However the beam should remain fairly uniform without any off-color corona.

Mocarny
Mocarny's picture
Offline
Last seen: 10 hours 3 min ago
Joined: 05/10/2019 - 04:03
Posts: 259
Location: Poland

How will you replace it? I’d like to do it too, but don’t know how…

Anthon
Offline
Last seen: 10 hours 40 min ago
Joined: 09/07/2015 - 10:33
Posts: 636

What about the current? SST40 will burn bond wires above 9A

DHart
Offline
Last seen: 5 days 14 hours ago
Joined: 01/17/2017 - 01:49
Posts: 103
Location: Arizona
Anthon wrote:
What about the current? SST40 will burn bond wires above 9A

Going from XHP50.2 to SST40 would create problems related to current?

I guess I’ll just leave well enough alone then. Thanks anyway.

Mocarny
Mocarny's picture
Offline
Last seen: 10 hours 3 min ago
Joined: 05/10/2019 - 04:03
Posts: 259
Location: Poland

Can I replace XHP50.2 with 70.2?

Anthon
Offline
Last seen: 10 hours 40 min ago
Joined: 09/07/2015 - 10:33
Posts: 636
Mocarny wrote:
Can I replace XHP50.2 with 70.2?

no, fw21’s leds run at 3v

Th558
Th558's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 29 min ago
Joined: 01/30/2016 - 16:19
Posts: 853
Location: United Kingdom

Anthon wrote:
What about the current? SST40 will burn bond wires above 9A

They changed the material of the bond wires over a year ago. People have run it over 9A without issues. Also the vf isn’t even low enough for a single cell to push three emitters to that current.