How to Make a Laser Flashlight - Laser Flashlight Hack!

16 posts / 0 new
Last post
vestureofblood
vestureofblood's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 17 hours ago
Joined: 08/17/2012 - 15:21
Posts: 2035
Location: Missouri
How to Make a Laser Flashlight - Laser Flashlight Hack!

Hi everyone,

This was something I decided to experiment with. I had not ever made anything with lasers before so I figured it was time to give it a shot.
Please let me know what you think. Was this an entertaining vid for you? Would you like to see more projects like this? Would you rather have the 4 minutes of your life back? LOL!

Pack of laser pointers I used (2)
http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-53200-19255-0/1?icep_ff3=2&pub=5575212...

In Him (Jesus Christ) was life; and the life was the light of men. And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.
http://asflashlights.com/ Everyday Carry Flashlights, plus Upgrades for Maglite.

Edited by: vestureofblood on 09/27/2016 - 21:53
dw911
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 2 weeks ago
Joined: 06/27/2014 - 07:44
Posts: 591
Location: UK

Looks pretty cool, always interesting to see what other members get up too.
Just curious though and not meaning to put a dampener on it, but how safe is it, I mean for the eyes, especially in the shots where your shining it around inside, is not the reflected laser light bad for the eyes ?
I’ve always fancied experimenting with lasers but some of the stories of the dangers rather put me off as I value my sight, so have always aired on the side of caution, or is it really fairly safe ?

vestureofblood
vestureofblood's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 17 hours ago
Joined: 08/17/2012 - 15:21
Posts: 2035
Location: Missouri
dw911 wrote:
Looks pretty cool, always interesting to see what other members get up too. Just curious though and not meaning to put a dampener on it, but how safe is it, I mean for the eyes, especially in the shots where your shining it around inside, is not the reflected laser light bad for the eyes ? I’ve always fancied experimenting with lasers but some of the stories of the dangers rather put me off as I value my sight, so have always aired on the side of caution, or is it really fairly safe ?

It is a good idea to have some safety glasses around. These are pretty low power, but I got a pair anyway. Just make sure you get the ones that are rated for your lasers wavelength ( IE 532nn) and NOT just the color of laser.

Here are the ones I got.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009T6RN0G/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s...

In Him (Jesus Christ) was life; and the life was the light of men. And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.
http://asflashlights.com/ Everyday Carry Flashlights, plus Upgrades for Maglite.

Angler
Angler's picture
Offline
Last seen: 11 months 4 weeks ago
Joined: 07/21/2014 - 21:30
Posts: 691
Location: South Carolina

Awesome project! I really like how it looks after you removed the lenses. I would love to see one made from purple lasers.

Yourrid
Yourrid's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 3 days ago
Joined: 05/17/2013 - 09:41
Posts: 1075
Location: ATL

What I’d love to see (and buy):

Even amounts of Red, Green and Blue lasers
All focused to one spot

A white laser, or would it be a super thower flashlight? Evil

hank
hank's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 1 day ago
Joined: 09/04/2011 - 21:52
Posts: 9638
Location: Berkeley, California

Your tax dollars at work: http://www2.lbl.gov/ehs/safety/lasers/bioeffects.shtml

Quote:
the energy of a laser beam can be intensified up to 100,000 times by the focusing action of the eye for visible and near infrared wavelengths. If the irradiance entering the eye is 1 mW/cm2, the irradiance at the retina will be 100 W/cm2. Even a 4% reflection off an optic can be a serious eye hazard

and
http://scienceblogs.com/builtonfacts/2010/06/30/the-laser-pointer-much-b...

Lightbringer
Lightbringer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 1 min ago
Joined: 08/30/2016 - 14:12
Posts: 17714
Location: nyc

vestureofblood wrote:
It is a good idea to have some safety glasses around. These are pretty low power, but I got a pair anyway. Just make sure you get the ones that are rated for your lasers wavelength ( IE 532nn) and NOT just the color of laser.

Here are the ones I got.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009T6RN0G/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s...

Careful, careful, careful!!

I can’t find any rating on the above goggles (OD, optical density), and even if one were listed, I wouldn’t trust my eyeballs to a pair of <10bux goggles.

Take the laser, shine it on the wall from a few feet away. Now put the goggles in front of the laser. If you see, well, anything, on the wall, they’re not good. At best they’d slightly limit damage to your eyeballs, but at worse, they’re a false sense of security and you can do some serious damage before you even know it.

Even a paltry OD3 (meh) would reduce the laser’s intensity by 1000, and an OD5 (decent) would reduce it to 1/100,000th its intensity. So if you can still see the laser shining on the wall, like, at all, they’re just tinted plastic.

I play around with 1W violet lasers and occasionally some more powerful ones. Even a glancing reflection from a screw-head across the room for the smallest fraction of a second could burn your retina and leave you with a permanent blind-spot (or -streak) for the rest of your life.

That said, tres kewl! Big Smile

I know alllllll about alignment issues. I wanted to make a Predator-style parrot-gun from 3 red lasers, and nah, you’d need to really tweak the lasers’ aim and then pot them in epoxy to keep any jostling from throwing them out of alignment.

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

dhvl1357
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 4 days ago
Joined: 05/18/2016 - 05:59
Posts: 303
Location: South India

Cool but I pity any animals/humans that you inadvertently hit in the eye with that. Sad

Slow is smooth; smooth is fast.

hank
hank's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 1 day ago
Joined: 09/04/2011 - 21:52
Posts: 9638
Location: Berkeley, California

He posted that from the House Of Blind Spiders?

WillyD
Offline
Last seen: 11 months 1 week ago
Joined: 10/10/2012 - 15:55
Posts: 796
Location: Ohio

Cool. Run a black wooden or metal dowel down the middle a few feet with a cap at the end and you’d have a light saber.

mdeni
mdeni's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 2 hours ago
Joined: 08/06/2016 - 05:17
Posts: 273
Location: Europe

The real question is, why not use one 1-5W laser with removed lens?

I have thought about this for some time. When I needed a 20km thrower. You can use 1W lasers in few colors to get something that resembles white light. RGB for example? And only 3 are needed.

hank
hank's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 1 day ago
Joined: 09/04/2011 - 21:52
Posts: 9638
Location: Berkeley, California

Quote:
“Incorrect power rating

Main articles: Laser safety and Lasers and aviation safety
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laser_pointer#Incorrect_power_rating

National Institute of Standards and Technology tests19 conducted on laser pointers labeled as Class IIIa or 3R in 2013 showed that about half of them emitted power at twice the Class limit, making their correct designation Class IIIb – more hazardous than Class IIIa. The highest measured power output was 66.5 milliwatts; more than 10 times the limit. Green laser light is generated from an infrared laser beam, which should be confined within the laser housing; however, more than 75% of the devices tested were found to emit infrared light in excess of the limit.

You can’t see the infrared.
It’s supposed to go through a frequency-doubling crystal which emits the energy as green light
These things leak, and the innards will get misaligned if not securely put together.
A filter is supposed to be in the tube to block any infrared leakage.
Infrared filters are expensive, compared to a bit of cheap plastic or nothing.
Do you feel lucky?

Quote:
higher-powered (> 5 mW) DPSS-type laser pointers have recently become available, usually through sources that do not follow laser safety regulations for laser packaging and labeling. These higher-powered lasers are often packaged in the same pointer-style housings as regular laser pointers, and usually lack the IR filters found in professional high-powered DPSS lasers, because of costs and additional efforts needed to accommodate them.
luminarium iaculator
luminarium iaculator's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 days 2 hours ago
Joined: 07/07/2013 - 09:09
Posts: 2291
Location: X

I like laser flashlight idea very much…

Hope you’ll continue developing it.

dw911
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 2 weeks ago
Joined: 06/27/2014 - 07:44
Posts: 591
Location: UK
vestureofblood wrote:
dw911 wrote:
Looks pretty cool, always interesting to see what other members get up too. Just curious though and not meaning to put a dampener on it, but how safe is it, I mean for the eyes, especially in the shots where your shining it around inside, is not the reflected laser light bad for the eyes ? I’ve always fancied experimenting with lasers but some of the stories of the dangers rather put me off as I value my sight, so have always aired on the side of caution, or is it really fairly safe ?

It is a good idea to have some safety glasses around. These are pretty low power, but I got a pair anyway. Just make sure you get the ones that are rated for your lasers wavelength ( IE 532nn) and NOT just the color of laser.

Here are the ones I got.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009T6RN0G/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s...

Cool thanks for the reply, I’ll get a pair of them Smile

CRX
CRX's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 months 4 weeks ago
Joined: 04/02/2013 - 15:27
Posts: 4243
Location: Scotland

Interesting stuff, i would like to see more like this.

I put one of those green lasers in a tank TK 007-703 host powered by a 10180 cell

vestureofblood
vestureofblood's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 17 hours ago
Joined: 08/17/2012 - 15:21
Posts: 2035
Location: Missouri

CRX wrote:
Interesting stuff, i would like to see more like this.

I put one of those green lasers in a tank TK 007-703 host powered by a 10180 cell

!{width:40%}[img]http://i.imgur.com/Q0a5rob.jpg[/img]!

Definetly easier to get in a pocket Smile I love the tank flashlights, they are good hosts, or even unmodded lights.

In Him (Jesus Christ) was life; and the life was the light of men. And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.
http://asflashlights.com/ Everyday Carry Flashlights, plus Upgrades for Maglite.