New Convoy C8 – Clearly better

1530 posts / 0 new
Last post
ZozzV6
ZozzV6's picture
Offline
Last seen: 10 hours 55 min ago
Joined: 03/24/2016 - 12:19
Posts: 2427
Location: Near to my soldering iron.

It is not a bug. It is a feature of XHP leds with SMO reflectors. The cross in the led make the dark center of the hot spot. Try orange peel reflector or replace the XHP50 to XHP50.2

TWN
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 3 months ago
Joined: 12/17/2016 - 11:47
Posts: 79
Location: Indonesia

The ring is so obvious for sure. Though my wrong setup or else.
I’ll try OP reflector later, I’m sure I have one from long time ago.

ZozzV6
ZozzV6's picture
Offline
Last seen: 10 hours 55 min ago
Joined: 03/24/2016 - 12:19
Posts: 2427
Location: Near to my soldering iron.

You will need to open up the bottom led hole because OP reflectors have 7mm hole.

Lexel
Lexel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 11/01/2016 - 08:00
Posts: 5895
Location: Germany

Donut hole is not avoidable for XHP50 as it is build from 4 single dies
You can change the focus a bit getting the gasket thinner or thicker

InspectorJon
Offline
Last seen: 8 months 1 week ago
Joined: 05/06/2013 - 21:49
Posts: 18
Location: Northern California

Based on this thread I bought one of these lights. I got it from Fasttech last May. The driver has stopped functioning properly. It is stuck in moonlight mode. It will not enter the programing mode. Fasttech will replace the light but I have to ship it back to them which costs as much if not more than the light. I like the light a lot and use it constantly every day. Where can I get a new, correctly programed driver to replace the old one? Thanks for any help on this.

DB Custom
DB Custom's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 days 13 hours ago
Joined: 01/13/2013 - 22:28
Posts: 20718
Location: Heart of Texas

Well, it’s not avoidable using a mirror finish reflector. There are options that allow elimination of the donut hole.

ie: Ledil Mirella 35mm reflector with mounting base.

Illuminations Machines also makes some very worthy diamond faceted reflectors.

emarkd
emarkd's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 months 1 week ago
Joined: 04/14/2015 - 22:04
Posts: 1608
Location: Georgia, USA

I also tried a “larger” emitter in mine, a Nichia 144A in my case, but the beam isn’t very good for me either. Pretty bad “egg yolk” effect. My hope is that raising the emitter up higher into the reflector will help but I haven’t had a chance to try and accomplish that.

DB Custom
DB Custom's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 days 13 hours ago
Joined: 01/13/2013 - 22:28
Posts: 20718
Location: Heart of Texas

There’s a Khatod optic, I believe, that works great over a XHP-70, it’s got a large “cup” in the top surface and vertical lines inside the TIR. This tames the donut hole pretty well, I have one in an X6 with extension tube and it makes some 5441 lumens at 10.4A from a pair of the older Samsung 20R 18650’s. Granted, it’s a 35mm optic and the C8 accommodates larger than that, but it’ll work with the lens in place, especially if using one of the holders.

Tom Tom
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 4 months ago
Joined: 09/10/2017 - 08:30
Posts: 1162
InspectorJon wrote:
Based on this thread I bought one of these lights. I got it from Fasttech last May. The driver has stopped functioning properly. It is stuck in moonlight mode. It will not enter the programing mode. Fasttech will replace the light but I have to ship it back to them which costs as much if not more than the light. I like the light a lot and use it constantly every day. Where can I get a new, correctly programed driver to replace the old one? Thanks for any help on this.

Banggood sell the Convoy driver with Biscotti, in all variants (number of 7135). It’s not expensive.

Lightbringer
Lightbringer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 26 min 58 sec ago
Joined: 08/30/2016 - 14:12
Posts: 15038
Location: nyc
emarkd wrote:
I also tried a “larger” emitter in mine, a Nichia 144A in my case, but the beam isn’t very good for me either. Pretty bad “egg yolk” effect. My hope is that raising the emitter up higher into the reflector will help but I haven’t had a chance to try and accomplish that.

Plain ol’ XM-L, but I had just the opposite in an F13. The come-with spacer was in there, it had a decent hotspot but a little fuzzy, so to try “tightening it up”, I tried pulling the spacer and using a thin PETE insulator instead, to let the LED farther up into the reflector.

Big mistake. Ringy, and the worst fried-egg beam I’ve ever seen.

Swap the come-with spacer again, and it’s back to normal, pretty smooth beam.

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Lightbringer
Lightbringer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 26 min 58 sec ago
Joined: 08/30/2016 - 14:12
Posts: 15038
Location: nyc

I had an idea which I never quite tried before.

Take a stiff spongy material that’s not conductive, make a “washer” out of it, and put that between the reflector and LED. Turn it on (hopefully not hot enough to melt the stuff) and watch the beam as you screw down the reflector. The tighter you screw it down, the more the “sponge-washer” will compress, and the farther into the reflector the LED will go. Loosen it, and hopefully the sponge will press the reflector back out.

This way you can adjust the focus to whatever you’d want, and know that it is possible to get that focus. Then, shave down a real spacer/washer to the appropriate thickness.

Beats repeated swapping of spacers/washers/whatever, trying to remember what was better or worse.

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Tom Tom
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 4 months ago
Joined: 09/10/2017 - 08:30
Posts: 1162
Lightbringer wrote:
emarkd wrote:
I also tried a “larger” emitter in mine, a Nichia 144A in my case, but the beam isn’t very good for me either. Pretty bad “egg yolk” effect. My hope is that raising the emitter up higher into the reflector will help but I haven’t had a chance to try and accomplish that.

Plain ol’ XM-L, but I had just the opposite in an F13. The come-with spacer was in there, it had a decent hotspot but a little fuzzy, so to try “tightening it up”, I tried pulling the spacer and using a thin PETE insulator instead, to let the LED farther up into the reflector.

Big mistake. Ringy, and the worst fried-egg beam I’ve ever seen.

Swap the come-with spacer again, and it’s back to normal, pretty smooth beam.

Been there, done that, F13 is spaced nicely as standard. Countersunk top of spacer thinking it was blocking a little of the side throw, which it slightly was, but not worth the effort.

JasonWW
JasonWW's picture
Offline
Last seen: 20 hours 23 min ago
Joined: 10/22/2016 - 11:41
Posts: 12837
Location: Houston Texas

InspectorJon wrote:
Based on this thread I bought one of these lights. I got it from Fasttech last May. The driver has stopped functioning properly. It is stuck in moonlight mode. It will not enter the programing mode. Fasttech will replace the light but I have to ship it back to them which costs as much if not more than the light. I like the light a lot and use it constantly every day. Where can I get a new, correctly programed driver to replace the old one? Thanks for any help on this.

Why is FastTech making you mail the light back? That makes no sense.

You can get replacement drivers from overseas from a lot of different places including Convoy itself or any of the other stores such as Banggood, FastTech or Gearbest.

My advice, since your in the US, is to buy one from Richard at Mountain Electronics. He has a ton of options. You can stick with a constant-current driver with a wide variety of different user interfaces or you can go with a fet driver and get increased output.

http://www.mtnelectronics.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=67

These lights can absorb heat really well, so a FET driver is a good option.

See if Fasttech will refund half the purchase price and you keep the light, then take that money and get whatever driver you want.

Texas Ace Lumen Tube and JoshK Sphere calibrated with Maukka lights

Click this to go to signature links. I'm still around, just not reading many new threads.

Persechini
Persechini's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 months 1 week ago
Joined: 07/11/2017 - 03:32
Posts: 505
Location: Brasil

Lightbringer wrote:
I had an idea which I never quite tried before.

Take a stiff spongy material that’s not conductive, make a “washer” out of it, and put that between the reflector and LED. Turn it on (hopefully not hot enough to melt the stuff) and watch the beam as you screw down the reflector. The tighter you screw it down, the more the “sponge-washer” will compress, and the farther into the reflector the LED will go. Loosen it, and hopefully the sponge will press the reflector back out.

This way you can adjust the focus to whatever you’d want, and know that it is possible to get that focus. Then, shave down a real spacer/washer to the appropriate thickness.

Beats repeated swapping of spacers/washers/whatever, trying to remember what was better or worse.

A simple plumbing washer might to the job. Soft rubber, get a thin one with an adequate inner diameter, might work

In my Tree

My collectionEmisar: D4 / D1 / D4 (broken) ― Convoy: C8 Clear / S2+ Clear / S2+ / S2+ UV / S6 ― Nitecore: Tube / Thumb / Concept 1 / HC30 / HC33 / TIP / TIP CRI / TINI ― Lumintop: Tool AAA / Tool AA / HLAAA / EDC05 ― Sofirn: SF10 / SF12 / SF12 / SF14 / SF14 / SF14 / SP10A / SP10A (gifted) ― Jaxman: E3 ― UTorch: UT01 ― Trustfire: Z2 ― Skyfire: SF-065 (trashed)

ToyKeeper
ToyKeeper's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 2 days ago
Joined: 01/12/2013 - 14:40
Posts: 10655
Location: (469219) 2016 HO3
InspectorJon wrote:
Based on this thread I bought one of these lights. I got it from Fasttech last May. The driver has stopped functioning properly. It is stuck in moonlight mode. It will not enter the programing mode. Fasttech will replace the light but I have to ship it back to them which costs as much if not more than the light. I like the light a lot and use it constantly every day. Where can I get a new, correctly programed driver to replace the old one? Thanks for any help on this.

If you’re able to take it apart, a new driver can be swapped in pretty easily. You could even upgrade it at the same time, perhaps using a bistro driver from MtnElectronics. This would give you more throw and a nicer UI.

Or with some fairly cheap tools you could reflash the stock driver to fix it.

If you’re not able to take it apart, a solution is more difficult.

Tom Tom
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 4 months ago
Joined: 09/10/2017 - 08:30
Posts: 1162
ToyKeeper wrote:
InspectorJon wrote:
Based on this thread I bought one of these lights. I got it from Fasttech last May. The driver has stopped functioning properly. It is stuck in moonlight mode. It will not enter the programing mode. Fasttech will replace the light but I have to ship it back to them which costs as much if not more than the light. I like the light a lot and use it constantly every day. Where can I get a new, correctly programed driver to replace the old one? Thanks for any help on this.

If you’re able to take it apart, a new driver can be swapped in pretty easily. You could even upgrade it at the same time, perhaps using a bistro driver from MtnElectronics. This would give you more throw and a nicer UI.

Or with some fairly cheap tools you could reflash the stock driver to fix it.

If you’re not able to take it apart, a solution is more difficult.

Maybe just replace like with like.

https://www.banggood.com/Convoy-Flashlight-Driver-New-Firmware-7135×371...

I think this is your’s TK i.e. your Biscotti (or is it special for Convoy ?)

TWN
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 3 months ago
Joined: 12/17/2016 - 11:47
Posts: 79
Location: Indonesia

ZozzV6 wrote:
You will need to open up the bottom led hole because OP reflectors have 7mm hole.

Lexel wrote:
Donut hole is not avoidable for XHP50 as it is build from 4 single dies
You can change the focus a bit getting the gasket thinner or thicker

DB Custom wrote:
Well, it’s not avoidable using a mirror finish reflector. There are options that allow elimination of the donut hole.

ie: Ledil Mirella 35mm reflector with mounting base.

Illuminations Machines also makes some very worthy diamond faceted reflectors.


DB Custom wrote:
There’s a Khatod optic, I believe, that works great over a XHP-70, it’s got a large “cup” in the top surface and vertical lines inside the TIR. This tames the donut hole pretty well, I have one in an X6 with extension tube and it makes some 5441 lumens at 10.4A from a pair of the older Samsung 20R 18650’s. Granted, it’s a 35mm optic and the C8 accommodates larger than that, but it’ll work with the lens in place, especially if using one of the holders.

I’ll play around with the part I have now, have the OP reflector but seem the diameter hole different with the original smooth reflector.
The OP reflector little bit shorter in height to it’s not tight when I put back the head in place.

@DB Custom, may I know the link for purchase those optics and/or ledil mirella? Appreciated.

InspectorJon wrote:
Based on this thread I bought one of these lights. I got it from Fasttech last May. The driver has stopped functioning properly. It is stuck in moonlight mode. It will not enter the programing mode. Fasttech will replace the light but I have to ship it back to them which costs as much if not more than the light. I like the light a lot and use it constantly every day. Where can I get a new, correctly programed driver to replace the old one? Thanks for any help on this.

Try to reflash it first, maybe you luck. If not, then buy the driver from the above suggestion’s post.
Satan@103TFS
Offline
Last seen: 19 hours 25 min ago
Joined: 09/04/2017 - 12:51
Posts: 570

Anyone recently got C8 clear from GB ? Are there any issues about firmware ? I would like to get one.

Pete7874
Pete7874's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 15 min ago
Joined: 11/23/2011 - 16:47
Posts: 3433
Location: USA

So, I got my C8 from Simon, but not exactly in one piece…

Now, I put the little white ring back in its place, but the question is: is it supposed to be glued down, or does the reflector keep it in place just by sitting on top of it?

I don’t know if the ring got dislocated in transport or if it was just shoddy assembly and no QC.

JasonWW
JasonWW's picture
Offline
Last seen: 20 hours 23 min ago
Joined: 10/22/2016 - 11:41
Posts: 12837
Location: Houston Texas

Pete7874 wrote:
So, I got my C8 from Simon, but not exactly in one piece…

Now, I put the little white ring back in its place, but the question is: is it supposed to be glued down, or does the reflector keep it in place just by sitting on top of it?

I don’t know if the ring got dislocated in transport or if it was just shoddy assembly and no QC.


The reflector has to push the led into the body for good heat transfer. The plastic ring let’s the reflector push hard against the mcpcb, centers the led in the reflector and spaces it just right for proper focus and to clear the wires preventing a short.

Texas Ace Lumen Tube and JoshK Sphere calibrated with Maukka lights

Click this to go to signature links. I'm still around, just not reading many new threads.

ZozzV6
ZozzV6's picture
Offline
Last seen: 10 hours 55 min ago
Joined: 03/24/2016 - 12:19
Posts: 2427
Location: Near to my soldering iron.

In normal assembly the centering ring can not be there. It is larger than the hole in reflector. If I see right this centering ring is for 7mm reflector hole and XP leds. You need a centering ring for 9mm hole.

Pete7874
Pete7874's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 15 min ago
Joined: 11/23/2011 - 16:47
Posts: 3433
Location: USA
ZozzV6 wrote:
In normal assembly the centering ring can not be there. It is larger than the hole in reflector. If I see right this centering ring is for 7mm reflector hole and XP leds. You need a centering ring for 9mm hole.

Is it possible Simon put in the wrong size ring in my light. It does seem a bit small compared to the hole in the reflector.

Right now it’s sitting in place, just barely. If it’s not being pressed down correctly, then that’s probably not good for heat transfer, even if it does remain in place.

Pete7874
Pete7874's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 15 min ago
Joined: 11/23/2011 - 16:47
Posts: 3433
Location: USA

I pulled it apart to measure the plastic ring.. it’s about 8mm wide, but as you can see below, it is smaller than the hole in the reflector. No wonder it fell out. I guess I need to contact Simon. That’s not cool…

Jerommel
Jerommel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 2 months ago
Joined: 01/04/2014 - 13:18
Posts: 6380
Location: the Hague, Netherlands

They used the wrong gasket. Facepalm
Those are to small.

InspectorJon
Offline
Last seen: 8 months 1 week ago
Joined: 05/06/2013 - 21:49
Posts: 18
Location: Northern California

JasonWW wrote:
InspectorJon wrote:
Based on this thread I bought one of these lights. I got it from Fasttech last May. The driver has stopped functioning properly. It is stuck in moonlight mode. It will not enter the programing mode. Fasttech will replace the light but I have to ship it back to them which costs as much if not more than the light. I like the light a lot and use it constantly every day. Where can I get a new, correctly programed driver to replace the old one? Thanks for any help on this.

Why is FastTech making you mail the light back? That makes no sense.

You can get replacement drivers from overseas from a lot of different places including Convoy itself or any of the other stores such as Banggood, FastTech or Gearbest.

My advice, since your in the US, is to buy one from Richard at Mountain Electronics. He has a ton of options. You can stick with a constant-current driver with a wide variety of different user interfaces or you can go with a fet driver and get increased output.

http://www.mtnelectronics.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=67

So it turns out Fasttech has a return center in Miami so the shipping to send it back is not as bad as I thought. They will replace the light. I am using an old Convoy C8 now as a backup. Once I receive the replacement I think I’ll us some of this information to upgrade it. It is a few years old. I mostly use it indoors so a long throw is not important. I’d actually rather get more flood out of it. Any suggestions on a suitable replacement emitter? Thanks for all the responses.

rizky_p
rizky_p's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 months 1 week ago
Joined: 03/01/2011 - 05:06
Posts: 1035
Location: Indonesia

apparently the centering ring is too small. Indeed not good, better contact Simon.

JasonWW
JasonWW's picture
Offline
Last seen: 20 hours 23 min ago
Joined: 10/22/2016 - 11:41
Posts: 12837
Location: Houston Texas

InspectorJon wrote:
JasonWW wrote:
InspectorJon wrote:
Based on this thread I bought one of these lights. I got it from Fasttech last May. The driver has stopped functioning properly. It is stuck in moonlight mode. It will not enter the programing mode. Fasttech will replace the light but I have to ship it back to them which costs as much if not more than the light. I like the light a lot and use it constantly every day. Where can I get a new, correctly programed driver to replace the old one? Thanks for any help on this.

Why is FastTech making you mail the light back? That makes no sense.

You can get replacement drivers from overseas from a lot of different places including Convoy itself or any of the other stores such as Banggood, FastTech or Gearbest.

My advice, since your in the US, is to buy one from Richard at Mountain Electronics. He has a ton of options. You can stick with a constant-current driver with a wide variety of different user interfaces or you can go with a fet driver and get increased output.

http://www.mtnelectronics.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=67

So it turns out Fasttech has a return center in Miami so the shipping to send it back is not as bad as I thought. They will replace the light. I am using an old Convoy C8 now as a backup. Once I receive the replacement I think I’ll us some of this information to upgrade it. It is a few years old. I mostly use it indoors so a long throw is not important. I’d actually rather get more flood out of it. Any suggestions on a suitable replacement emitter? Thanks for all the responses.


Well, a C8 is the last light you want for close up use. I’ve tried an OP reflector, but it barely made a difference. Other than buying a different light or converting the C8 to a triple or quad unit with tir lenses (expensive) the only cheap thing I can think of is to apply some type of diffuser film on the lens. There is a translucent film by DC Fix that people claims works well, but it does rob some lumens.

Texas Ace Lumen Tube and JoshK Sphere calibrated with Maukka lights

Click this to go to signature links. I'm still around, just not reading many new threads.

J-Dub74
J-Dub74's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 4 days ago
Joined: 03/14/2015 - 17:17
Posts: 2231
Location: Michigan

Pete7874 wrote:
I pulled it apart to measure the plastic ring.. it’s about 8mm wide, but as you can see below, it is smaller than the whole in the reflector. No wonder it fell out. I guess I need to contact Simon. That’s not cool…

!https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4401/37343701866_3e3a67f91b_o.jpg!


Geez! Facepalm Yeah that’s the wrong one alright. You can contact Simon and let him know if you want but I think I’ve got one I can send you. I’ll look when I get home. Shoot me a PM. I can get it to you much faster than Simon can from China. I’m pretty sure I’ve got some in a drawer and I can drop it in the mail tomorrow. I’ll let Simon know about this slip the next time we talk.

Edit: Yours is the XPL-HI version right? Looks like it from the picture but please confirm.

Pete7874
Pete7874's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 15 min ago
Joined: 11/23/2011 - 16:47
Posts: 3433
Location: USA

J-Dub74, that’s very kind of you. I will drop you a PM. Thanks!

J-Dub74
J-Dub74's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 4 days ago
Joined: 03/14/2015 - 17:17
Posts: 2231
Location: Michigan

Pete7874 wrote:
J-Dub74, that’s very kind of you. I will drop you a PM. Thanks!

No problem Pete. It’s on it’s way to you. You should have it in a few days.

I could easily see this happening with a tired worker grabbing from the wrong bin and not noticing or one of the smaller rings fell in with their bigger brothers. Nice easy fix thankfully but I did let Simon know about the slip and showed him the pictures you posted.

Now all I have to do is find the bag of spacers I have somewhere at home so I can put my C8 back together. Facepalm

Does there come a time when you officially have too much flashlight stuff? Blushing

I know I have a package of those spacers it’s just a matter of figuring out where my wife “filed them” for me. I have a bad habit of putting small parts like this in one of a few drawers in the dining room or living room. Once every few months she gets sick of seeing flashlight stuff everywhere and all gets put into a bag or a box for me to sort later. That “later” is LONG overdue…

Pages