Sofirn SP10B - Anyone?

182 posts / 0 new
Last post
Pete7874
Pete7874's picture
Online
Last seen: 8 min 24 sec ago
Joined: 11/23/2011 - 16:47
Posts: 3368
Location: USA

Got my red SP10B today. The finish is quite nice… very dark red. Pictures don’t do it justice, and I struggle to get a photo of it where the red looks like it should.

Here is a tint comparison against Utorch UT01 CW and Jetbeam Jet-1 MK. White balance manually set to 5000K. I think the photo exaggerates the greenish tint of the SP10B. In real life, it’s not that bad.

All in all, a decent light, but a couple of small gripes:
1. The moonlight mode appears much lower than the advertised 1 lm. And even when using a Li-Ion cell, it does not look any brighter. It’s so dim, it’s practically unusable.

2. Strangely, it does not work with my protected button-top Sanyo 14500P. Thankfully, I can make it work with my flat-top Sanyo 14500 if I attach a small magnet button to the top of it.

Overall, I think I still prefer UT01. Plus, UT01 can be attached to the brim of a hat thanks to its reversible clip.

Lightbringer wrote:
DMM’s reading a rather bouncy 20µA-40µA, and that’s it.

I’m getting 31 µA on mine.
Lightbringer
Lightbringer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 51 min 32 sec ago
Joined: 08/30/2016 - 14:12
Posts: 14058
Location: nyc
Pete7874 wrote:
Got my red SP10B today. The finish is quite nice… very dark red. Pictures don’t do it justice, and I struggle to get a photo of it where the red looks like it should.

Was tempted to get a red/blue just to be different.

Pete7874 wrote:
Here is a tint comparison against Utorch UT01 CW and Jetbeam Jet-1 MK. White balance manually set to 5000K. I think the photo exaggerates the greenish tint of the SP10B. In real life, it’s not that bad.

Wow, mine’s not green at all.

My A is about as green as my Jet-I, but my Bs are quite nice. A bit too cool for my taste (would prefer something around 4500K), but not a hint of green. 5700K sounds about right for mine.

Pete7874 wrote:
1. The moonlight mode appears much lower than the advertised 1 lm. And even when using a Li-Ion cell, it does not look any brighter. It’s so dim, it’s practically unusable.

Naw, for me, this is perfect for middle-of-the-night. I’d call it firefly mode rather than moonlight, though.

That’s the problem with people using “moonlight” and “firefly” interchangeably. To me, firefly is dim dim dim, like an actual firefly’s buttocks. Useful for really preserving your vision when fully dark-adapted. And moonlight would be lower-than-low when you might want to light up the path in front of you or see the clock on the opposite wall, etc., as if walking outside on a moonlit night.

Pete7874 wrote:
2. Strangely, it does not work with my protected button-top Sanyo 14500P. Thankfully, I can make it work with my flat-top Sanyo 14500 if I attach a small magnet button to the top of it.

I’ve had issues with my A (haven’t tried a B in this regard) starting up from half-spent alkaleaks. Brand-new, never an issue. Used half-spent one, sometimes it’ll come on fine, other times stay off as if the cell’s dead. Remove the cell, “wipe off” the +/- ends with my finger, put back, it’ll likely work… for a while.

I was hoping to burn off those half-spent cells when I don’t care about “turbo” anything, but I guess I’ll just have to use ‘em in my bobofett light that I almost retired from non-use.

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Pete7874
Pete7874's picture
Online
Last seen: 8 min 24 sec ago
Joined: 11/23/2011 - 16:47
Posts: 3368
Location: USA

Lightbringer wrote:
That’s the problem with people using “moonlight” and “firefly” interchangeably.

Call it what you will. I’m just saying it appears to be well below the stated 1 lm output.
MascaratumB
MascaratumB's picture
Offline
Last seen: 55 min 35 sec ago
Joined: 10/29/2016 - 12:12
Posts: 6262
Location: Portugal
Pete7874 wrote:
Lightbringer wrote:
That’s the problem with people using “moonlight” and “firefly” interchangeably.
Call it what you will. I’m just saying it appears to be well below the stated 1 lm output.

I agree with you Pete!

On RobertB’s thread of the SP10B I stated the exact same thing, the lowest level is lower than the advertised:

http://budgetlightforum.com/comment/1242258#comment-1242258
http://budgetlightforum.com/comment/1242270#comment-1242270

I still like the firefly mode, though Wink
I would only add another level between ML and Low and quit memory! Personal preferences, of course Big Smile

NikolaS
NikolaS's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 6 days ago
Joined: 02/07/2014 - 13:26
Posts: 1272
Location: intersection of all roads

I got the red SP10B couple days ago,and I am very impressed with the quality and power from xpg2 emitter.
Very strange but I measured 600+ lumens on highest level, very similar to my UT01 with 625 lumens but with XP-l inside ???
Even more strange is the fact that with fully charged 14500 it only takes 1.4Amp on turbo pushing that 600 lumens OTF
Is this flashlight somehow boosting the power even with the lithium ion battery???
My self built flashlight with same emitter like SP10B and with 1.37A driver is only giving like 330 lumens OTF??

I am confused,but very happy with this flashlight

Pete7874
Pete7874's picture
Online
Last seen: 8 min 24 sec ago
Joined: 11/23/2011 - 16:47
Posts: 3368
Location: USA

Pete7874 wrote:
224 lm output for 3h 19min when running on 14500 cell? That would be nice if true, but it seems too optimistic to me.
Here is a runtime graph…
Pete7874
Pete7874's picture
Online
Last seen: 8 min 24 sec ago
Joined: 11/23/2011 - 16:47
Posts: 3368
Location: USA

NikolaS wrote:
Very strange but I measured 600+ lumens on highest level, very similar to my UT01 with 625 lumens but with XP-l inside ???
Compared to SP10B, I get about 15% more light output from UT01, using UR14500P cell.

Make sure your UT01 is programmed for the highest possible output in turbo. It is not programmed that way from the factory.

NikolaS
NikolaS's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 6 days ago
Joined: 02/07/2014 - 13:26
Posts: 1272
Location: intersection of all roads

I have a NW UT01, and output is fine, actually I was the one that discovered selectable outputs on each mode Big Smile
Still doesn’t have the answer for tailcap reading of only 1,4A on SP10B and 600 lumens with xpg2???

UT01 is taking 2.3A with fresh cell

Pete7874
Pete7874's picture
Online
Last seen: 8 min 24 sec ago
Joined: 11/23/2011 - 16:47
Posts: 3368
Location: USA

NikolaS wrote:
Still doesn’t have the answer for tailcap reading of only 1,4A on SP10B and 600 lumens with xpg2???

UT01 is taking 2.3A with fresh cell


My UT01 is only drawing about 1.4A with fresh cell.
agent80
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 59 min ago
Joined: 01/06/2013 - 02:28
Posts: 460

Does the light turn off after 3 minutes? Quoting this from the specs. ​(Note: Activate high mode from “off”, after working 3 minutes, the light will turn off;)

Pete7874
Pete7874's picture
Online
Last seen: 8 min 24 sec ago
Joined: 11/23/2011 - 16:47
Posts: 3368
Location: USA

agent80 wrote:
Does the light turn off after 3 minutes? Quoting this from the specs. ​(Note: Activate high mode from “off”, after working 3 minutes, the light will turn off;)

It does, although it’s closer to 3.5 minutes, I think.

Strangely, the owner’s manual does not mention this feature, or I missed it.

agent80
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 59 min ago
Joined: 01/06/2013 - 02:28
Posts: 460

I dont get it. Why would the light shut off? Its pretty natural to want the high mode from ‘off’?

NikolaS
NikolaS's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 6 days ago
Joined: 02/07/2014 - 13:26
Posts: 1272
Location: intersection of all roads
agent80 wrote:
I dont get it. Why would the light shut off? Its pretty natural to want the high mode from ‘off’?

If you double click from OFF to turbo light will turn off after 200 seconds, and if you go to turbo from ON the light will step down after 200 seconds to the mode you was previously. Simple as that..
I like the UI very much, and the only thing I would add is 20 lumen mode after moonlight,because jump from 0,5 lumen to 70 lumen measured on 14500 Sanyo battery is significant..

MascaratumB
MascaratumB's picture
Offline
Last seen: 55 min 35 sec ago
Joined: 10/29/2016 - 12:12
Posts: 6262
Location: Portugal

Pete7874 wrote:
agent80 wrote:
Does the light turn off after 3 minutes? Quoting this from the specs. ​(Note: Activate high mode from “off”, after working 3 minutes, the light will turn off;)

It does, although it’s closer to 3.5 minutes, I think.

Strangely, the owner’s manual does not mention this feature, or I missed it.

agent80 wrote:
I dont get it. Why would the light shut off? Its pretty natural to want the high mode from ‘off’?

As NikolaS said, the turbo steps down after more that 3.5 minutes, but the light will still be one, and will probably dim again due to protection.
The light doesn’t turn OFF.

NikolaS wrote:
I like the UI very much, and the only thing I would add is 20 lumen mode after moonlight,because jump from 0,5 lumen to 70 lumen measured on 14500 Sanyo battery is significant..

+1 here! That 20 lumen mode in between the others would be great!! Thumbs Up

Pete7874
Pete7874's picture
Online
Last seen: 8 min 24 sec ago
Joined: 11/23/2011 - 16:47
Posts: 3368
Location: USA

NikolaS wrote:
and if you go to turbo from ON the light will step down after 200 seconds to the mode you was previously.

Mine doesn’t do that.
MascaratumB
MascaratumB's picture
Offline
Last seen: 55 min 35 sec ago
Joined: 10/29/2016 - 12:12
Posts: 6262
Location: Portugal
Pete7874 wrote:
NikolaS wrote:
and if you go to turbo from ON the light will step down after 200 seconds to the mode you was previously.
Mine doesn’t do that.

Hum…strange! Are you using 14500 Li-Ion?

Also, NikolaS and Pete7874, what are your versions of the light? Pete’s is the “new” red one. Mine is the “old” black one. NikolaS, yours is?
Maybe this has some influence, maybe they have changed this in the “new” versions (Black SP10A and Red/Blue SP10B)…

Pete7874
Pete7874's picture
Online
Last seen: 8 min 24 sec ago
Joined: 11/23/2011 - 16:47
Posts: 3368
Location: USA
MascaratumB wrote:
Pete7874 wrote:
NikolaS wrote:
and if you go to turbo from ON the light will step down after 200 seconds to the mode you was previously.
Mine doesn’t do that.

Hum…strange! Are you using 14500 Li-Ion?


Yes.

Just to clarify, if you engage turbo (High) from OFF, it will turn off after 200 seconds.
But if you engage turbo (High) from ON (eg. moonlight), after 200 seconds it does not step down to moonlight. It steps down to Medium.

NikolaS
NikolaS's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 6 days ago
Joined: 02/07/2014 - 13:26
Posts: 1272
Location: intersection of all roads
Pete7874 wrote:
MascaratumB wrote:
Pete7874 wrote:
NikolaS wrote:
and if you go to turbo from ON the light will step down after 200 seconds to the mode you was previously.
Mine doesn’t do that.

Hum…strange! Are you using 14500 Li-Ion?


Yes.

Just to clarify, if you engage turbo (High) from OFF, it will turn off after 200 seconds.
But if you engage turbo (High) from ON (eg. moonlight), after 200 seconds it does not step down to moonlight. It steps down to Medium.

Yes exactly Thumbs Up
I am using latest version in red color, received it just week ago..

Anyone measured current at the tail ? On the latest 10B?

MascaratumB
MascaratumB's picture
Offline
Last seen: 55 min 35 sec ago
Joined: 10/29/2016 - 12:12
Posts: 6262
Location: Portugal
Pete7874 wrote:
MascaratumB wrote:
Pete7874 wrote:
NikolaS wrote:
and if you go to turbo from ON the light will step down after 200 seconds to the mode you was previously.
Mine doesn’t do that.

Hum…strange! Are you using 14500 Li-Ion?


Yes.

Just to clarify, if you engage turbo (High) from OFF, it will turn off after 200 seconds.
But if you engage turbo (High) from ON (eg. moonlight), after 200 seconds it does not step down to moonlight. It steps down to Medium.

Sorry, you are correct Pete! I’ve re-done the test from OFF and it shut down after 3m25secs.
Previously I didn’t notice but I had started from ON so it stepped down to Medium after the same time!

Funny, I had never tested this way… You are correct! And now I agree with agent80 comment: why? Facepalm
It could have stepped down instead of shutting OFF

EDIT: only now I read carefully NikolaS previous posts, where that was said as well, so ignore my comments… Facepalm

Pete7874
Pete7874's picture
Online
Last seen: 8 min 24 sec ago
Joined: 11/23/2011 - 16:47
Posts: 3368
Location: USA

NikolaS wrote:
Anyone measured current at the tail ? On the latest 10B?

I’m getting 1.4A on a fully charged 14500 cell.
NikolaS
NikolaS's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 6 days ago
Joined: 02/07/2014 - 13:26
Posts: 1272
Location: intersection of all roads
Pete7874 wrote:
NikolaS wrote:
Anyone measured current at the tail ? On the latest 10B?
I’m getting 1.4A on a fully charged 14500 cell.

Then the driver is definitely boosting even with lithium 14500 battery.
There is no XPG2 that can deliver 600+ lumens with 1.4 A !!

Edness
Edness's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 8 hours ago
Joined: 10/29/2016 - 16:57
Posts: 355
Location: NYC

Did this a couple weeks ago…posted in the mod thread.

Changed the emitter to XP-L2…nothing else. The stock XP-G2 pulls 1.6A at the tail. New setup pulls 2.4A.

Blackbeard
Blackbeard's picture
Offline
Last seen: 43 min 8 sec ago
Joined: 11/09/2017 - 23:12
Posts: 596
Location: USA

I have to agree, the moonlight is so low its not really usable, I just got one of these cause of the promo where you get a free 1000 lumen diving light, good deal for $15ish.

My fenix protected cell is too long and it wont work in this light, I put an older & shorter trustfire 14500 in and it works, but I’m not seeing any brightness jump over a NI-MH, but the battery was a little low at 3.7V, so I’m charging it now and will try again.

Side by side with Klarus MI-7 and its getting blown away by the Klarus atm. Will give it another shot after the cell is fully
charged.

Really thought they had addressed the protected length issue, but seems its still problematic.

Edit/ didn’t realize turbo was hidden like some olights, will update after my battery comes off charger, hopefully it’s closer to the Klarus output

Pete7874
Pete7874's picture
Online
Last seen: 8 min 24 sec ago
Joined: 11/23/2011 - 16:47
Posts: 3368
Location: USA

Blackbeard wrote:
Really thought they had addressed the protected length issue, but seems its still problematic.

Yep. Doesn’t work with my protected sanyo/evva cell either. I initially thought it did not like the button top, but now I am thinking it is probably because of the length.
Hedy
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 1 month ago
Joined: 12/04/2017 - 04:38
Posts: 17
Location: China
SP10A all the same with SP10B, all with the same function 4+1 modes, just the black color called SP10A, the blue and red color called SP10B.

And this is the link for Sofirn SP10A/B on Aliexpress :
SP10A/B

Hedy
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 1 month ago
Joined: 12/04/2017 - 04:38
Posts: 17
Location: China

SP10A all the same with SP10B, all with the same function 4+1 modes, just the black color called SP10A, the blue and red color called SP10B.
You can see this link on Aliexpress Sofirn SP10A/B

Hedy
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 1 month ago
Joined: 12/04/2017 - 04:38
Posts: 17
Location: China

Pete7874 wrote:
How do you get 10% off?
Dear friend, we can provide you 10% discount for SP10A/B on Aliexpress: Sofirn SP10A/B
Hedy
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 1 month ago
Joined: 12/04/2017 - 04:38
Posts: 17
Location: China

Lightbringer wrote:
As asked above, what’s the diff between the A and B?

I like the A quite a bit, so am curious about the B.

SP10A all the same with SP10B, all with the same function 4+1 modes, just the black color called SP10A, the blue and red color called SP10B.
Please see the link of Sofirn SP10A/B on Aliexpress Sofirn SP10A/B

Hedy
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 1 month ago
Joined: 12/04/2017 - 04:38
Posts: 17
Location: China
Sprinkles wrote:
Does anyone else have this problem? When I go to the official as SOFRIN official store and add the SP 10B to my cart then try to pay, it tells me I can’t order.

Dear friend, please try it to our franchise store with Sofirn: Sofirn SP10A/B

Hedy
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 1 month ago
Joined: 12/04/2017 - 04:38
Posts: 17
Location: China

MascaratumB wrote:
Sprinkles wrote:
Take a look at the image of my cart. There are multiple listings for the SP10B, but not all of them are from the official Sofirn store. Notice that the three that are unavailable are from “Sofirn Official Store” and the one that I can actually order is from another vendor.

Forgive the crappy editing Innocent

That’s really weird! I’m seeing my cart and the only thing that appears on mine (from Sofirn Official Store) is “Limited quantity available”.
If you put another flashlight, or charger,… , does the same message appear?
Try to refresh the browser, I can’t see what may be going on… Unless it is something “country related” (like when Amazon does not ship an item to a country).

Dear friend, just see our franchise store with Sofirn of SP10A/B:Sofirn SP10A/B

Pages