Will battery life be reduced?

17 posts / 0 new
Last post
wolfdog1226
wolfdog1226's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 6 months ago
Joined: 10/09/2013 - 20:47
Posts: 2120
Location: Acquasanta,Italia/ Valley Forge, Pa. USA
Will battery life be reduced?

NOT sure if this is the right place for this.

Would this be the same concept as charging a 16340 @ 1 or 2 amps?

My friend gave me a car charger for my LG K20V Phone. I noticed the specs are different than the charger LG provides.

Here are the specs.

My Battery:

BL-46G1F- 3.85V-2800mah/10.8Wh

LG Charger:

5.0V=0.85A

Car charger:

INPUT=DC 12-24V

OUTPUT: 5V=3.1A Total

[Each 2.4A Max]

I am NOT sure what Each 2.4A means??

Seems to charge from Two to Three times faster.Car chargers AMP output is at least 3X times higher.

Verizon said it will be fine but I know people on here know more than they do!

Would this Car charger REDUCE the life of my battery?

,,,,,,,,,,Thanks

Solitude breeds contemplation which creates clarity. 

Environment molds a person. Perseverance changes them. 

                                                                   WOLFDOG 

thijsco19
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 4 days ago
Joined: 12/14/2012 - 16:18
Posts: 1384
Location: Nearby Rotterdam, the Netherlands

It shouldn’t.
The charger part is inside the phone and should be regulating the charging process.
It’s a matter of demand and supply. You car charger can supply enough but your phone will only ask what it wants or needs.

Your car charger can output a total of 15.5 Watt, 5V x 3.1A.
While using just 1 output the maximum current is only 2.4A or 12 Watt.
If you’re using the 2 outputs the maximum output will be the full 15.5 Watt divided by the 2 outputs.

BlueSwordM
BlueSwordM's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 2 days ago
Joined: 11/29/2017 - 12:34
Posts: 5608
Location: Canada

It should mot. The phone will limit itself to the max charge it can support.

Charging a 10Wh cell at 10W in this case is not bad.

In most cases, when you are below 1C fast charging, what matters the most is the SOC during the use of the phone.

Not charging above 90% and not letting it discharge below 20% will help with the battery’s cycle life tremendously.

I personally use a root app to limit charging to 87%, but you can do it manually if you want.

My very own high current Beryllium Copper springs Gen 3:
http://budgetlightforum.com/node/67401
Liitokala Aliexpress Stores Battery Fraud: http://budgetlightforum.com/node/60547

thijsco19
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 4 days ago
Joined: 12/14/2012 - 16:18
Posts: 1384
Location: Nearby Rotterdam, the Netherlands

BlueSwordM wrote:
It should mot. The phone will limit itself to the max charge it can support.

Charging a 10Wh cell at 10W in this case is not bad.

In most cases, when you are below 1C fast charging, what matters the most is the SOC during the use of the phone.

*Not charging above 90% and not letting it discharge below 20% will help with the battery’s cycle life tremendously.
*
I personally use a root app to limit charging to 87%, but you can do it manually if you want.

I’m wondering if that’s true.
Not the battery improvement part but that you should only charge it till 90%?
Isnt that already configured inside the charging algorithm of the phone?
Just wondering btw.

wolfdog1226
wolfdog1226's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 6 months ago
Joined: 10/09/2013 - 20:47
Posts: 2120
Location: Acquasanta,Italia/ Valley Forge, Pa. USA

Ok,,,thanks.

I know the car charger charges about Twice as fast. That was my concern, that charging Twice as fast would not be good for the battery? As long as it won’t shorten the batteries life, that is all that matters.I got the Phone/battery on August 19,2017,,,,,,almost 1 year old.

It was also suggested to me to NOT charge the phone to 100% . Their first recommendations was to charge 80%-discharge to 30%. Also told me that 90% and 40% would lengthen the life of the battery. that is what I do. Most times I charge it when its b/w 40% and 50%

Solitude breeds contemplation which creates clarity. 

Environment molds a person. Perseverance changes them. 

                                                                   WOLFDOG 

joechina
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 03/05/2016 - 08:23
Posts: 1459
Location: Germany

Wolfdog,
you should get 500 cycles out of a liion battery. That means daily charging after two years you have a weak battery.
The 40 to 90% charging extend the life

this article may help
http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/bu_808b_what_causes_li_ion_to...
There is a paragraph about satellites

WalkIntoTheLight
Offline
Last seen: 9 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 12/05/2015 - 10:26
Posts: 2231
Location: Canada

For occasional-use flashlights, I charge to about 4.1v. That gives me a 90% charge, and probably doubles the life of the battery. I charge to a full 4.2v if I know I will be using the light soon, and for a long period of time. Leaving cells sitting around at full charge isn’t the best practice if you want your batteries to last a long time. 4.1v is a lot easier on them. You could go lower, but at some point you have to trade off capacity and battery life. IMO, 4.1v is a good trade-off.

ZoomieFan
ZoomieFan's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 3 weeks ago
Joined: 08/19/2016 - 05:25
Posts: 651
Location: Netherlands
thijsco19 wrote:
I personally use a root app to limit charging to 87%, but you can do it manually if you want.

I’m wondering if that’s true.
Not the battery improvement part but that you should only charge it till 90%?
Isnt that already configured inside the charging algorithm of the phone?
Just wondering btw.[/quote]That’s what I’m wondering too.
When you phone says 0% it’s a bit above that. Not sure about 100%

Chargers: 1xBasen BD01 5/5, 1x Gyrfalcon All-88 4/5, LiitoKala: 3x100 3/5, 2x202 3/5, 1x402 3/5., MiBoxer C4-12 3/5.
Flashlights: DQG Tiny III 26650 5/5, FiTorch MR35 3/5, Haikelite SC26 HD 3/5, Lumintop Tool AA/AAA 4/5, Nitecore LA10, Sofirn C01 BLF 3200k/5600k 2/5, Zebralight H600Fc 3/5.
Powerbanks: EasyAcc 26800 mAh 3/5, Xtar PB2 4/5, Xtar PB2S 5/5
Waiting for: (DQG Tiny) 21700 EDCs.

WalkIntoTheLight
Offline
Last seen: 9 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 12/05/2015 - 10:26
Posts: 2231
Location: Canada
ZoomieFan wrote:
I’m wondering if that’s true. Not the battery improvement part but that you should only charge it till 90%? Isnt that already configured inside the charging algorithm of the phone? When you phone says 0% it’s a bit above that. Not sure about 100%

I charged up an older phone to 100%, then removed the battery and tested it on my DMM. It measured 4.20v. So, at least on some phones, 100% charge means a full 4.2v charge on the internal battery.

It makes sense, too. The phone manufacturers don’t care if the battery lasts 2 years or 5 years. They want you to buy a new phone every 2 years, whether you need it or not. If the battery is dying after 2 years, all the better for the phone manufacturers, since that will incentivize people to just buy a new phone (or fork over a rip-off price for a new battery).

wolfdog1226
wolfdog1226's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 6 months ago
Joined: 10/09/2013 - 20:47
Posts: 2120
Location: Acquasanta,Italia/ Valley Forge, Pa. USA

WalkIntoTheLight wrote:

I charged up an older phone to 100%, then removed the battery and tested it on my DMM. It measured 4.20v. So, at least on some phones, 100% charge means a full 4.2v charge on the internal battery.

Where do you hook up the leads?!!! I tried awhile back and must have done it wrong!

Solitude breeds contemplation which creates clarity. 

Environment molds a person. Perseverance changes them. 

                                                                   WOLFDOG 

wolfdog1226
wolfdog1226's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 6 months ago
Joined: 10/09/2013 - 20:47
Posts: 2120
Location: Acquasanta,Italia/ Valley Forge, Pa. USA

wolfdog1226 wrote:
WalkIntoTheLight wrote:

I charged up an older phone to 100%, then removed the battery and tested it on my DMM. It measured 4.20v. So, at least on some phones, 100% charge means a full 4.2v charge on the internal battery.

Where do you hook up the leads?!!! I tried awhile back and must have done it wrong!

I got it! I was not patient enough[ and had wrong contact] when I tried it a year ago.

Mine was 78% charged and the voltage was 4.05V.

You have me curious now. I am charging it to 100%[a rarity] to see what the voltage is.

Solitude breeds contemplation which creates clarity. 

Environment molds a person. Perseverance changes them. 

                                                                   WOLFDOG 

wolfdog1226
wolfdog1226's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 6 months ago
Joined: 10/09/2013 - 20:47
Posts: 2120
Location: Acquasanta,Italia/ Valley Forge, Pa. USA

So I got 78% charge =4.05V

100% Charge = 4.31V..

When I saw 78% = 4.05V I knew it would be a higher reading for 100%.

I am going to test it at 90%,,,Probably pretty close to 4.20V.

EDIT: Here are my numbers. I love numbers. every battery has a charge cycle list, all my torches are in a rotating chart,,,,on and on!

100%= 4.31V**********90%=4.17V***********78%=4.05V

I Think I figured it out. My 18650/26650 ect. Lion battery cells are 3.7V [Nominal]. This cell phone battery is 3.85V [nominal].

Hence the 4.31V at full charge instead of 4.20V. Thumbs Up

Solitude breeds contemplation which creates clarity. 

Environment molds a person. Perseverance changes them. 

                                                                   WOLFDOG 

WalkIntoTheLight
Offline
Last seen: 9 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 12/05/2015 - 10:26
Posts: 2231
Location: Canada
wolfdog1226 wrote:
Hence the 4.31V at full charge instead of 4.20V. Thumbs Up

That’s fine if it’s a lithium-ion cell designed to be charged to 4.3v. Otherwise, they’re really over-charging it just to squeeze out a bit more capacity, and that’s going to affect the life of that battery.

wolfdog1226
wolfdog1226's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 6 months ago
Joined: 10/09/2013 - 20:47
Posts: 2120
Location: Acquasanta,Italia/ Valley Forge, Pa. USA
WalkIntoTheLight wrote:
wolfdog1226 wrote:
Hence the 4.31V at full charge instead of 4.20V. Thumbs Up

That’s fine if it’s a lithium-ion cell designed to be charged to 4.3v. Otherwise, they’re really over-charging it just to squeeze out a bit more capacity, and that’s going to affect the life of that battery.

My guess is that it is. Being 3.85V nominal instead of 3.70V nominal.

Hence the 4.31V at full charge instead of 4.20V.

It has worked well for a year with no signs of degradation,,,,,,,,,,,,the 90/40 charge/discharge probably helps.

Solitude breeds contemplation which creates clarity. 

Environment molds a person. Perseverance changes them. 

                                                                   WOLFDOG 

WalkIntoTheLight
Offline
Last seen: 9 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 12/05/2015 - 10:26
Posts: 2231
Location: Canada
wolfdog1226 wrote:
WalkIntoTheLight wrote:
wolfdog1226 wrote:
Hence the 4.31V at full charge instead of 4.20V. Thumbs Up

That’s fine if it’s a lithium-ion cell designed to be charged to 4.3v. Otherwise, they’re really over-charging it just to squeeze out a bit more capacity, and that’s going to affect the life of that battery.

My guess is that it is. Being 3.85V nominal instead of 3.70V nominal.

Ah, yes, you’re very likely correct.

wolfdog1226
wolfdog1226's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 6 months ago
Joined: 10/09/2013 - 20:47
Posts: 2120
Location: Acquasanta,Italia/ Valley Forge, Pa. USA
WalkIntoTheLight wrote:
wolfdog1226 wrote:
WalkIntoTheLight wrote:
wolfdog1226 wrote:
Hence the 4.31V at full charge instead of 4.20V. Thumbs Up

That’s fine if it’s a lithium-ion cell designed to be charged to 4.3v. Otherwise, they’re really over-charging it just to squeeze out a bit more capacity, and that’s going to affect the life of that battery.

My guess is that it is. Being 3.85V nominal instead of 3.70V nominal.

Ah, yes, you’re very likely correct.

I could be totally wrong but I am just using logic. If the nominal voltages go up,I am thinking the maximum voltage goes up.

I am sure someone on here knows the answer to that. I have basic knowledge for 16340,14500,18560 ect. Li. Ion rechargeables , not really familiar with these phone batteries that have different nominal voltages.

Where is Professor Gauss when we need him!! lol!!!

Solitude breeds contemplation which creates clarity. 

Environment molds a person. Perseverance changes them. 

                                                                   WOLFDOG 

ZoomieFan
ZoomieFan's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 3 weeks ago
Joined: 08/19/2016 - 05:25
Posts: 651
Location: Netherlands

wolfdog1226 wrote:

I could be totally wrong but I am just using logic. If the nominal voltages go up,I am thinking the maximum voltage goes up.

Certainly you aren’t totally wrong.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Real_versus_nominal_value

Quote:
In North America, the nominal voltage is 120 V, with variance allowed from 114 V to 126 V (±5%)

It’s about a certain margin. It’s no law that margin changes with the voltage in a linear way.
With new tech the margins could change along with voltage.

Chargers: 1xBasen BD01 5/5, 1x Gyrfalcon All-88 4/5, LiitoKala: 3x100 3/5, 2x202 3/5, 1x402 3/5., MiBoxer C4-12 3/5.
Flashlights: DQG Tiny III 26650 5/5, FiTorch MR35 3/5, Haikelite SC26 HD 3/5, Lumintop Tool AA/AAA 4/5, Nitecore LA10, Sofirn C01 BLF 3200k/5600k 2/5, Zebralight H600Fc 3/5.
Powerbanks: EasyAcc 26800 mAh 3/5, Xtar PB2 4/5, Xtar PB2S 5/5
Waiting for: (DQG Tiny) 21700 EDCs.