Astrolux FT03 NW/CW with close up beamshot

21 posts / 0 new
Last post
i_me_andrew
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 6 months ago
Joined: 02/08/2019 - 02:57
Posts: 14
Location: UK
Astrolux FT03 NW/CW with close up beamshot

After long wait.. arrived. Thanks freeme.

Overall happy with build quality.

CW led more centered than NW. I guess its hit and miss.

Came with no glue and everything greased well. To the eye NW has purple tint and CW obvious bluish/greenish.

USB port on both are not aligned correctly, but it’s only visual and plugs in just fine.

Emisar D4 xpl hi.
Astrolux S43 nichia, FT03 NW.

LumenMax
LumenMax's picture
Offline
Last seen: 16 hours 45 min ago
Joined: 08/21/2018 - 10:50
Posts: 391
Location: NY

I have the NW version, but I don't see any hint of purple in mine. The USB port is slightly off centered, but no issues with plugging a cable in.

 

WalkIntoTheLight
Offline
Last seen: 9 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 12/05/2015 - 10:26
Posts: 2231
Location: Canada

Wow, those beams are pretty green. I hope that’s just your camera.

i_me_andrew
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 6 months ago
Joined: 02/08/2019 - 02:57
Posts: 14
Location: UK

Definetly has a tint, thats why s43 nichia is in the comparison.

WalkIntoTheLight wrote:
Wow, those beams are pretty green. I hope that’s just your camera.

Emisar D4 xpl hi.
Astrolux S43 nichia, FT03 NW.

bluereidon
bluereidon's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 01/19/2019 - 06:34
Posts: 87
Location: Bulgaria

i_me_andrew wrote:
Definetly has a tint, thats why s43 nichia is in the comparison.

WalkIntoTheLight wrote:
Wow, those beams are pretty green. I hope that’s just your camera.

My NW also has a little bit of purple tint.I don’t mind it.
AlexGT
AlexGT's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 10 hours ago
Joined: 06/07/2012 - 17:39
Posts: 4603
Location: Texas

Thank you for the comparison, not the best tint compared to the Nichia, hopefully it gets better at higher amps.

i_me_andrew
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 6 months ago
Joined: 02/08/2019 - 02:57
Posts: 14
Location: UK

Definetly gets better at higher output, as its starts blinding at close range. So you will be shining further down the field or woods at 100% output and will not notice tint at all.. But reading a map or a horror story at your bonfire at close range tint is horrible Smile

AlexGT wrote:
Thank you for the comparison, not the best tint compared to the Nichia, hopefully it gets better at higher amps.

Emisar D4 xpl hi.
Astrolux S43 nichia, FT03 NW.

leftdisconnected
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 1 day ago
Joined: 11/03/2018 - 17:41
Posts: 439
Location: United States

Thanks for the info and shots, andrew!

I agree that having better tint at higher output is not as beneficial on a thrower as it might be on a flooder. I’m still using LED headlamps first-generation 1w emitters, so I’m pretty accustomed to poor tints Wink . I ordered a NW and so far it seems that I’ll be perfectly happy with the tint even if it’s not so great by modern standards. I do like high-CRI emitters, but I can tolerate much worse on a $30 thrower.

Personally, I will likely never be reading a map with an FT03. That’s what headlamps are for Wink .

RobAllen

i_me_andrew
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 6 months ago
Joined: 02/08/2019 - 02:57
Posts: 14
Location: UK

Thats exactly my point, we dont care about tint. I do even doubt we would notice if the light is NW or CW shining on the mountain side half kilometer away.

Emisar D4 xpl hi.
Astrolux S43 nichia, FT03 NW.

Tony Cape
Tony Cape's picture
Offline
Last seen: 10 hours 53 min ago
Joined: 06/09/2018 - 04:38
Posts: 105
Location: South Africa

My NW just arrived I am very impressed .Considering what we paid for it, finish is good .It has a really balanced feeling in hand.The battery adapter sleeve was a nice unexpected extra allowing me to at least test it with an 18650 battery I had lying in my desk draw.

robk
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 07/12/2013 - 15:51
Posts: 289
Location: New Hampshire

I am entranced and curious by the keyboard with all the led colors beneath the keys. I don’t remember seeing that before and as my eyes deteriorate it would be helpful to have color coded keys. May I ask what it is and whether it is stock (looks like it would be) and if it’s something available in the US? Thanks. Rob

mrheosuper
Offline
Last seen: 5 months 1 week ago
Joined: 09/30/2016 - 12:44
Posts: 1515
Location: Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

robk wrote:
I am entranced and curious by the keyboard with all the led colors beneath the keys. I don’t remember seeing that before and as my eyes deteriorate it would be helpful to have color coded keys. May I ask what it is and whether it is stock (looks like it would be) and if it’s something available in the US? Thanks. Rob

it’s a laptop, there are some laptops come with RGB keyboard. They have really cool effects, but the hype usually lasts for few months, then you turn it off

Forgot my pen

AlexGT
AlexGT's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 10 hours ago
Joined: 06/07/2012 - 17:39
Posts: 4603
Location: Texas

I received my light a couple of days ago and glad to say that mine does not show that purple tint

mitsuki08
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 40 min ago
Joined: 03/08/2019 - 05:36
Posts: 344

Can anyone tell me how to fix this? I seem to be getting a somewhat ‘clover’ shape.

Edit: I can’t seem to get inline pictures to work Facepalm See the image here https://imgur.com/a/qKdyleh
Edit2: Nevermind. I wasn’t linking directly to the image. Facepalm

leftdisconnected
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 1 day ago
Joined: 11/03/2018 - 17:41
Posts: 439
Location: United States
mitsuki08 wrote:
Can anyone tell me how to fix this? I seem to be getting a somewhat ‘clover’ shape.

I don’t think that can be “fixed” unless you want to try dedoming. The clover leaves align along the edges of the emitter and probably has to do with the square LED’s interaction with the dome. i_me_andrew’s shots show the same pattern and my FT03 also does at close range, but it’s almost unnoticeable beyond 1 meter or so.

This pattern is likely related to the odd-shaped corona on this emitter. Slicing or dedoming will undoubtedly change or remove this clover shape, but I’m not sure what that will look like at close range. I don’t mind the pattern as this light isn’t very useful at close range anyway.

RobAllen

mitsuki08
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 40 min ago
Joined: 03/08/2019 - 05:36
Posts: 344
leftdisconnected wrote:
mitsuki08 wrote:
Can anyone tell me how to fix this? I seem to be getting a somewhat ‘clover’ shape.

I don’t think that can be “fixed” unless you want to try dedoming. The clover leaves align along the edges of the emitter and probably has to do with the square LED’s interaction with the dome. i_me_andrew’s shots show the same pattern and my FT03 also does at close range, but it’s almost unnoticeable beyond 1 meter or so.

This pattern is likely related to the odd-shaped corona on this emitter. Slicing or dedoming will undoubtedly change or remove this clover shape, but I’m not sure what that will look like at close range. I don’t mind the pattern as this light isn’t very useful at close range anyway.

I see. I guess i was just nitpicking then. Sorry about that. The reflector does have a veeeeeeeery small nick to it that i thought was contributing to it but yeah like what you said it is also visible in i_me_andrew’s shots so I’ll leave it as is. Thanks for the response!

HONDARIDER
HONDARIDER's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 04/22/2018 - 11:45
Posts: 941
Location: Hot Springs, Arkansas

I have both cool and neutral versions of this light. Really like them for their value. Just wish I could find some neutral SST-40 emmiters somewhere. Anyone know where they are in stock at?

Johm
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 1 week ago
Joined: 08/14/2012 - 04:41
Posts: 439
Location: Greece
HONDARIDER wrote:
I have both cool and neutral versions of this light. Really like them for their value. Just wish I could find some neutral SST-40 emmiters somewhere. Anyone know where they are in stock at?

They are currently sold @ 500 minimum pieces.

We are still waiting for these to spread around.

d_t_a
Offline
Last seen: 11 hours 2 min ago
Joined: 08/04/2017 - 23:58
Posts: 2624
Location: Manila, Philippines

There are 2 “NW” variants of the Astrolux FT03 SST40-NW – one is 5000K and one is 5700K. The 5000K doesn’t seem to be in stock for some time (I think the 5000K NW was available during the pre-order, but doesn’t seem to be available anymore, as it has been replaced by the 5700K NW)

Is your NW the 5000K NW or the 5700K NW?

leftdisconnected
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 1 day ago
Joined: 11/03/2018 - 17:41
Posts: 439
Location: United States
mitsuki08 wrote:
I see. I guess i was just nitpicking then. Sorry about that. The reflector does have a veeeeeeeery small nick to it that i thought was contributing to it but yeah like what you said it is also visible in i_me_andrew’s shots so I’ll leave it as is. Thanks for the response!

Don’t be sorry. Nitpicking is perfectly acceptable if something bothers you. It’s your light and if it does something you don’t like, BLF encourages modding Thumbs Up .

Just because I don’t think the clover shape can be fixed doesn’t mean it cannot; it just means that I don’t know how to fix it and don’t care enough to try. Greatness often occurs when you keep the first part of that equation and change the second.

I’m not brave enough to cut up my SST40 5000K as I have no idea when I’ll be able to buy a replacement Wink . Explorers must be either brave or crazy and it really doesn’t matter which; they are effectively the same except that the former legacy is more respectable than the latter. Pay no heed to legacies, however, as they often label as brave the crazy and vice-versa.

I analyze, but almost never discover. A toast to discoverers Beer .

RobAllen

hasddie293
hasddie293's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 03/05/2019 - 08:53
Posts: 334
Location: Brunei

Anyone has the comparison of NW between 5000K AND 5700K?

d_t_a wrote:
There are 2 “NW” variants of the Astrolux FT03 SST40-NW – one is 5000K and one is 5700K. The 5000K doesn’t seem to be in stock for some time (I think the 5000K

5000k out of stock, so I’ve order the 5700k…

In search of the most ideal flashlight in town:
1. BRIGHTNESS
2. Durabillity
3. Design
4. Quality
5. Price$$$