Interest collect for a new Sofirn design: tube style18650, magnetic ring control, USB-C charging, 500 lm max (AKA grandma light)

512 posts / 0 new
Last post
zak.wilson
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 35 min ago
Joined: 09/29/2014 - 14:27
Posts: 1033

Some anti-roll texturing does seem like a good idea, but if it comes with a pocket clip (and it should), that won’t be terribly important.

Ceilingbounce – flashlight testing and runtime graphs for Android

b4d17
Offline
Last seen: 9 months 1 week ago
Joined: 08/04/2019 - 11:27
Posts: 13

Interested.

eicca
eicca's picture
Offline
Last seen: 25 min 41 sec ago
Joined: 12/26/2019 - 13:06
Posts: 119
Location: Utah, USA

I’m interested! I love mag ring lights. Best UI IMO. My personal wish list for this light would be the following:

-Max 200 lumens so grandmas don’t blind themselves, and to guaranteed no overheating, and for a pretty decent max runtime with an 18650.

-A “moonlight” mode of 0.5 to 1 lumen. Most of my flashlight use is in the middle of the night, and even the 5 lumen low mode of my Fenix PDs is too harsh. My SRT7GT bottoms out around 1 lumen, which is the maximum comfort level for my dark adapted vision, and I greatly prefer the ~0.1 lumen of my SRT3.

The stepped output sounds great though. Infinitely variable would be nice, but I don’t feel it’s essential. OFFMOONLIGHTLOWMEDHIGH would be sufficient and probably make the manufacturing process easier and less expensive.

Streamlight ProTac HL - SureFire P2X Fury - Fenix PD35 v2.0 - Fenix PD25 - Sunwayman V11R XML2 6A3 mod - Olight Warrior X Pro - Skilhunt H04 - Skilhunt E2A

moderator007
moderator007's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 3 weeks ago
Joined: 12/23/2012 - 04:47
Posts: 3740
Location: North Carolina

Im interested as long as the “Infinite Variable Control Ring” is in the design. Not the turn to modes type but stepless variable output with low’s similar to a RRT-01.
No tail cap switch, the ring controls on and off maybe with a detent or something that locks in off.
The simplest and easiest UI to operate on the planet Thumbs Up .

Big_Sam
Big_Sam's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 1 week ago
Joined: 03/21/2018 - 07:54
Posts: 210
Location: UK

Interested x 2

Thank you,

Jerommel
Jerommel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 6 months ago
Joined: 01/04/2014 - 13:18
Posts: 6380
Location: the Hague, Netherlands

eicca wrote:
I’m interested! I love mag ring lights. Best UI IMO. My personal wish list for this light would be the following:

-Max 200 lumens so grandmas don’t blind themselves, and to guaranteed no overheating, and for a pretty decent max runtime with an 18650.

-A “moonlight” mode of 0.5 to 1 lumen. Most of my flashlight use is in the middle of the night, and even the 5 lumen low mode of my Fenix PDs is too harsh. My SRT7GT bottoms out around 1 lumen, which is the maximum comfort level for my dark adapted vision, and I greatly prefer the ~0.1 lumen of my SRT3.

Ah,another member of the dim-moon-mode-cult…
Maybe you just shouldn’t point the light towards your face when you turn it on.
Or maybe squint a little and let your irises adapt to the ‘wall of light’ coming from a 25 Lumen low mode.

Quote:
The stepped output sounds great though. Infinitely variable would be nice, but I don’t feel it’s essential. OFFMOONLIGHTLOWMEDHIGH would be sufficient and probably make the manufacturing process easier and less expensive.
No!
The gap between moonlight mode and low mode is ridiculously large.
Or you can space the modes too far apart or lose another usable mode because of it.

Sorry, but i’ve totally had it with this moon mode hype.
Get a single 5mm LED light to put on your bed side if you think your 500 Lumen or more lights are too bright.
This is the same nonsense as the “one short click for off” prophets, who fail to think what consequences it has for the other driver features.
Get a tailswitch light if you want a short click off light.

You know, i suspect these poorly thought through wishes have a really bad influence on the drivers in today’s lights.
Please, stop it.

Thank you.
As you were.

eicca
eicca's picture
Offline
Last seen: 25 min 41 sec ago
Joined: 12/26/2019 - 13:06
Posts: 119
Location: Utah, USA

Jerommel wrote:
eicca wrote:
I’m interested! I love mag ring lights. Best UI IMO. My personal wish list for this light would be the following:

-Max 200 lumens so grandmas don’t blind themselves, and to guaranteed no overheating, and for a pretty decent max runtime with an 18650.

-A “moonlight” mode of 0.5 to 1 lumen. Most of my flashlight use is in the middle of the night, and even the 5 lumen low mode of my Fenix PDs is too harsh. My SRT7GT bottoms out around 1 lumen, which is the maximum comfort level for my dark adapted vision, and I greatly prefer the ~0.1 lumen of my SRT3.

Ah,another member of the dim-moon-mode-cult…
Maybe you just shouldn’t point the light towards your face when you turn it on.
Or maybe squint a little and let your irises adapt to the ‘wall of light’ coming from a 25 Lumen low mode.

Quote:
The stepped output sounds great though. Infinitely variable would be nice, but I don’t feel it’s essential. OFFMOONLIGHTLOWMEDHIGH would be sufficient and probably make the manufacturing process easier and less expensive.
No!
The gap between moonlight mode and low mode is ridiculously large.
Or you can space the modes too far apart or lose another usable mode because of it.

Sorry, but i’ve totally had it with this moon mode hype.
Get a single 5mm LED light to put on your bed side if you think your 500 Lumen or more lights are too bright.
This is the same nonsense as the “one short click for off” prophets, who fail to think what consequences it has for the other driver features.
Get a tailswitch light if you want a short click off light.

You know, i suspect these poorly thought through wishes have a really bad influence on the drivers in today’s lights.
Please, stop it.

Thank you.
As you were.

Thanks for pointing out that I’ve been using my lights wrong for years. I’ll go read the instruction manual again.

Poorly thought through. As if.

Streamlight ProTac HL - SureFire P2X Fury - Fenix PD35 v2.0 - Fenix PD25 - Sunwayman V11R XML2 6A3 mod - Olight Warrior X Pro - Skilhunt H04 - Skilhunt E2A

Jerommel
Jerommel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 6 months ago
Joined: 01/04/2014 - 13:18
Posts: 6380
Location: the Hague, Netherlands

eicca wrote:
Jerommel wrote:
eicca wrote:
I’m interested! I love mag ring lights. Best UI IMO. My personal wish list for this light would be the following:

-Max 200 lumens so grandmas don’t blind themselves, and to guaranteed no overheating, and for a pretty decent max runtime with an 18650.

-A “moonlight” mode of 0.5 to 1 lumen. Most of my flashlight use is in the middle of the night, and even the 5 lumen low mode of my Fenix PDs is too harsh. My SRT7GT bottoms out around 1 lumen, which is the maximum comfort level for my dark adapted vision, and I greatly prefer the ~0.1 lumen of my SRT3.

Ah,another member of the dim-moon-mode-cult…
Maybe you just shouldn’t point the light towards your face when you turn it on.
Or maybe squint a little and let your irises adapt to the ‘wall of light’ coming from a 25 Lumen low mode.

Quote:
The stepped output sounds great though. Infinitely variable would be nice, but I don’t feel it’s essential. OFFMOONLIGHTLOWMEDHIGH would be sufficient and probably make the manufacturing process easier and less expensive.
No!
The gap between moonlight mode and low mode is ridiculously large.
Or you can space the modes too far apart or lose another usable mode because of it.

Sorry, but i’ve totally had it with this moon mode hype.
Get a single 5mm LED light to put on your bed side if you think your 500 Lumen or more lights are too bright.
This is the same nonsense as the “one short click for off” prophets, who fail to think what consequences it has for the other driver features.
Get a tailswitch light if you want a short click off light.

You know, i suspect these poorly thought through wishes have a really bad influence on the drivers in today’s lights.
Please, stop it.

Thank you.
As you were.

Thanks for pointing out that I’ve been using my lights wrong for years. I’ll go read the instruction manual again.


Good idea !
SKV89
Offline
Last seen: 6 days 1 hour ago
Joined: 12/10/2017 - 12:46
Posts: 4341
Location: US

Please put me down for 5! Will probably buy more if good!

OMG I’ve been searching and searching and searching for a GRANDMA light for years! I’ve tried convincing Nitecore to add USB-C to their magnetic rotary control lights but no luck. I’ve tried to get Simon at Convoy to make a quad S21A w/ USB-C and he said he will look into it but who knows if he will actually make it considering he gets hundreds of different requests. Djozz, thank you so much for doing this!

I do have a few suggestions/requests:

1) Can the off mode be made to have no standby current? The Fenix LD42 advertises this feature so it can be done. I rather see an additional tailswitch if that is what it takes.

2) Would love a 1 lumen output mode for night use. Infinite variable would be even better if can be done.

3) LH351D 2700K. That CCT seems to be the least above the DUV for the Samsungs and old people normally use this light at night so warmer temp have less affect on their melatonin. Old people have harder time sleeping.

4) Driver regulation and an efficient driver would be nice but probably too expensive. I’m amazed at how ultra efficient the driver is on the SP33 v2.0 per zeroair.org review. That would make this a real tool for more than just grandmas.

Really looking forward to this. I modded some SC31 with the SST-20 3000K emitter and gave them to muggles/grandma and even that is too complicated for them. Finally such a perfect muggle/grandma gift light will become a reality!

eicca
eicca's picture
Offline
Last seen: 25 min 41 sec ago
Joined: 12/26/2019 - 13:06
Posts: 119
Location: Utah, USA

SKV89 wrote:
Please put me down for 5! Will probably buy more if good!

OMG I’ve been searching and searching and searching for a GRANDMA light for years! I’ve tried convincing Nitecore to add USB-C to their magnetic rotary control lights but no luck. I’ve tried to get Simon at Convoy to make a quad S21A w/ USB-C and he said he will look into it but who knows if he will actually make it considering he gets hundreds of different requests. Djozz, thank you so much for doing this!

I do have a few suggestions/requests:

1) Can the off mode be made to have no standby current? The Fenix LD42 advertises this feature so it can be done. I rather see an additional tailswitch if that is what it takes.

2) Would love a 1 lumen output mode for night use. Infinite variable would be even better if can be done.

3) LH351D 2700K. That CCT seems to be the least above the DUV for the Samsungs and old people normally use this light at night so warmer temp have less affect on their melatonin. Old people have harder time sleeping.

4) Driver regulation and an efficient driver would be nice but probably too expensive. I’m amazed at how ultra efficient the driver is on the SP33 v2.0 per zeroair.org review. That would make this a real tool for more than just grandmas.

Really looking forward to this. I modded some SC31 with the SST-20 3000K emitter and gave them to muggles/grandma and even that is too complicated for them. Finally such a perfect muggle/grandma gift light will become a reality!

Careful with that 1 lumen mode. Apparently you don’t actually know how to use a light if that’s what you want, according to the professors…

Streamlight ProTac HL - SureFire P2X Fury - Fenix PD35 v2.0 - Fenix PD25 - Sunwayman V11R XML2 6A3 mod - Olight Warrior X Pro - Skilhunt H04 - Skilhunt E2A

Jerommel
Jerommel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 6 months ago
Joined: 01/04/2014 - 13:18
Posts: 6380
Location: the Hague, Netherlands

eicca wrote:

Poorly thought through. As if.


Definitely poorly thought through, and i think i explained why too.
But i’m sorry for taking it out on you.
Your post triggered me to speak out on this matter and other not so bright (pun not intended) features.
Don’t get me started on configuration options…

So what we see is brightness levels that are no longer there because some people keep on begging for 1 Lumen modes.
We also see lights not being turned off because they’re in some 1 Lumen mode which is unnoticeable most of the times.
Some flashlight enthusiasts seem to forget they already have low Lumen lights which would be better to have by the bed in stead of demanding their 1000s of Lumen lights to have near invisible modes.

And what happened to ceiling bounce?
You don’t always have to point your light to what you want to see.

So i wonder, if there are more people who want a 1 Lumen mode then people who just want 4 or 5 well spaced usable modes.
The 1 Lumen gang is definitely LOUDER though…

But hey, maybe it’s just me…

shirnask
shirnask's picture
Offline
Last seen: 48 min 31 sec ago
Joined: 03/21/2016 - 23:58
Posts: 1360
Location: Louisiana

.1 lumen mode for me

Jerommel
Jerommel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 6 months ago
Joined: 01/04/2014 - 13:18
Posts: 6380
Location: the Hague, Netherlands

SKV89 wrote:

2) Would love a 1 lumen output mode for night use.

GRRRR !!! Wink
Quote:
Infinite variable would be even better if can be done.
Okay, agreed. Smile

(I wonder how many grannies can still see anything with 1 Lumen though…)

Jerommel
Jerommel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 6 months ago
Joined: 01/04/2014 - 13:18
Posts: 6380
Location: the Hague, Netherlands

shirnask wrote:
.1 lumen mode for me

LOL
(desperately hoping you’re joking…)
shirnask
shirnask's picture
Offline
Last seen: 48 min 31 sec ago
Joined: 03/21/2016 - 23:58
Posts: 1360
Location: Louisiana

Not even a little bit

eicca
eicca's picture
Offline
Last seen: 25 min 41 sec ago
Joined: 12/26/2019 - 13:06
Posts: 119
Location: Utah, USA

1 lumen or less, wall or ceiling bounced, is absolutely perfect for night use and preserving night vision and circadian rhythm. Since the majority of light users aren’t looking to illuminate a football field the majority of the time, low settings are objectively the more practical and more widely used.

There’s a reason people are asking for lower low settings, and it’s not because they’re too dumb to know how to use a light.

Streamlight ProTac HL - SureFire P2X Fury - Fenix PD35 v2.0 - Fenix PD25 - Sunwayman V11R XML2 6A3 mod - Olight Warrior X Pro - Skilhunt H04 - Skilhunt E2A

Jerommel
Jerommel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 6 months ago
Joined: 01/04/2014 - 13:18
Posts: 6380
Location: the Hague, Netherlands

Jos, maybe ask Sofirn to include this in the package:

Or would that be too bright?

oto
oto's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 days 7 hours ago
Joined: 01/05/2017 - 09:30
Posts: 185
Location: LV

Interested

SKV89
Offline
Last seen: 6 days 1 hour ago
Joined: 12/10/2017 - 12:46
Posts: 4341
Location: US

eicca wrote:

Careful with that 1 lumen mode. Apparently you don’t actually know how to use a light if that’s what you want, according to the professors…

I bought several hundred flashlights and tested hundreds also so I’ve a pretty good concept of what 1 lumen mode is. Anything over 1 lumen mode has a good chance of disturbing or waking up family members. At 1 lumen OR LESS, it will not wake them up but its bright enough for me to find stuff. I ceiling bounce my 1 lumen light at night to check up on my toddlers every night. Very nice mode to have.

MRsDNF
MRsDNF's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 12/22/2011 - 21:18
Posts: 13473
Location: A light beam away from the missus in the land of Aus.

Interested. Thumbs Up

 

djozz quotes, "it came with chinese lettering that is chinese to me".

                      "My man mousehole needs one too"

old4570 said "I'm not an expert , so don't suffer from any such technical restrictions".

Old-Lumens. Highly admired and cherished member of Budget Light Forum. 11.5.2011 - 20.12.16. RIP.

 

eicca
eicca's picture
Offline
Last seen: 25 min 41 sec ago
Joined: 12/26/2019 - 13:06
Posts: 119
Location: Utah, USA

SKV89 wrote:
eicca wrote:

Careful with that 1 lumen mode. Apparently you don’t actually know how to use a light if that’s what you want, according to the professors…

I bought several hundred flashlights and tested hundreds also so I’ve a pretty good concept of what 1 lumen mode is. Anything over 1 lumen mode has a good chance of disturbing or waking up family members. At 1 lumen OR LESS, it will not wake them up but its bright enough for me to find stuff. I ceiling bounce my 1 lumen light at night to check up on my toddlers every night. Very nice mode to have.

My thoughts exactly, among many. But I guess we’re not smart enough to know how to >cough< properly use our lights. Facepalm

Streamlight ProTac HL - SureFire P2X Fury - Fenix PD35 v2.0 - Fenix PD25 - Sunwayman V11R XML2 6A3 mod - Olight Warrior X Pro - Skilhunt H04 - Skilhunt E2A

moderator007
moderator007's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 3 weeks ago
Joined: 12/23/2012 - 04:47
Posts: 3740
Location: North Carolina

I don’t see what all the rant is about a 1 lumen or .1 lumen low. Make it as low as the electronics will possible let it go, as in the Jetbeam RRT-01.
This is supposed to be a variable control ring light. It doesn’t matter what you like for a lumen low it can be dialed in just like everyone likes it. Simplest UI ever.
Low is fully at your control in the ring Silly .

fluke
Offline
Last seen: 3 days 8 hours ago
Joined: 04/20/2018 - 13:58
Posts: 504
Location: London United Kingdom

Im in for one <img src= " />

Jerommel
Jerommel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 6 months ago
Joined: 01/04/2014 - 13:18
Posts: 6380
Location: the Hague, Netherlands

eicca wrote:
1 lumen or less, wall or ceiling bounced, is absolutely perfect for night use and preserving night vision and circadian rhythm.
Oh come on…
Who cares about your circadian rhythm when you have to take a leak?
Quote:
[ Since the majority of light users aren’t looking to illuminate a football field the majority of the time, low settings are objectively the more practical and more widely used.
Only when you ignore the consequences (missing brightness levels, accidentally leaving the light turned on) and alternative options (smaller lights, more dedicated night lights).
But apparently what is low to one is high to others too…
Maybe one (me?) has poor night vision and others maybe have malfunctioning irises and / or a bad image processing.
Quote:

There’s a reason people are asking for lower low settings, and it’s not because they’re too dumb to know how to use a light.


Well, i never said anyone was too dumb.
It’s just that some demands have unfortunate consequences for the rest of the UI or the modes.
As a rule of thunmb, every step up with 3 times (some say 4 times) more brightness looks like twice the brightness, and makes for quite an ideal mode spacing.
You can bypass that with stepless dimming, of course, but in practice that usually means ramping by means of pressing the one single button you have, so that’s not ideal either (because it’s never exactly right or you press too long, etcetera…)

I’m fine with moon mode, as long as it’s hidden by a long press, but that’s a problem for tailswitch lights.
I use a light when i want to see properly.
For me a 100 Lumen lowest mode is dim enough, but warm white (and of course high CRI) is a bit of a must for me late at night.
But i can understand this can be too much for others, so i’d say 15 to 35 Lumen is a good lowest mode.
But that’s for a light that’s capable of 1000 Lumen or more, and then you need at least 4 modes to have decent mode spacing.
Hey, or a stepless dimming ring like this one. Smile

Okay, i’ve said more than enough about this here.
Sorry for being a butthole.
This is not my favorite season… Tired
…or maybe i’m just a bit of a butthole sometimes…

Jerommel
Jerommel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 6 months ago
Joined: 01/04/2014 - 13:18
Posts: 6380
Location: the Hague, Netherlands

moderator007 wrote:
I don’t see what all the rant is about a 1 lumen or .1 lumen low. Make it as low as the electronics will possible let it go, as in the Jetbeam RRT-01.
This is supposed to be a variable control ring light. It doesn’t matter what you like for a lumen low it can be dialed in just like everyone likes it. Simplest UI ever.
Low is fully at your control in the ring Silly .

Yeah, you’re right.
This was not the place to start this discussion, at least, if we’re going for stepless dimming.
zipelgas
zipelgas's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 6 hours ago
Joined: 08/25/2014 - 09:22
Posts: 325
Location: Estonia

Interested

Overkill is just about enough!

Henk4U2
Henk4U2's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 17 min ago
Joined: 02/13/2014 - 17:52
Posts: 4177
Location: The heart of the Netherlands (GMT+1)
Jerommel wrote:
………. Okay, i’ve said more than enough about this here. Sorry for being a butthole. This is not my favorite season… Tired …or maybe i’m just a bit of a butthole sometimes…

Still love these 100 horses pulling in 100 directions discussions on BLF.
You know what the best part of that is: most of their buttholes are pointed at the same spot.
Maybe we should investigate if grandma can live with 1 lumen. And if not, crank up the Amps till she does.
You can add a diffuser for those who are blinded by the light or can’t find their way back to the coffin.

You are a flashaholic if you are forced to come out of the closet, to make room for more flashlights.

Jerommel
Jerommel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 6 months ago
Joined: 01/04/2014 - 13:18
Posts: 6380
Location: the Hague, Netherlands

Red suspenders can be really cool though, if you combine it tastefully. Big Smile

But besides that, i think a stepless dimming twisty ring light would be great for anyone.
Or is that perhaps also my flashaholism speaking…?
But i.m.o. manual stepless regulation by sliding or rotating is both practical and natural.
Like an audio amplifier with a volume knob, as opposed to a + and – button.
Like a simple (old fashioned) portable radio even, where turning to minus until ‘click’ it turns off.

Jerommel
Jerommel's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 6 months ago
Joined: 01/04/2014 - 13:18
Posts: 6380
Location: the Hague, Netherlands
Henk4U2 wrote:
Jerommel wrote:
………. Okay, i’ve said more than enough about this here. Sorry for being a butthole. This is not my favorite season… Tired …or maybe i’m just a bit of a butthole sometimes…

Still love these 100 horses pulling in 100 directions discussions on BLF.
You know what the best part of that is: most of their buttholes are pointed at the same spot.
Maybe we should investigate if grandma can live with 1 lumen. And if not, crank up the Amps till she does.
You can add a diffuser for those who are blinded by the light or can’t find their way back to the coffin.


But it was actually off topic here…
It’s just that i’m always looking for affordable drivers, and good ones (constant current without PWM) are hard to find.
So i was happy to see Simon (Convoy) stocks a bunch of new drivers, but then i saw the terrible mode spacing (or rather low or middle modes that are simply missing), which is caused by the addition of moon modes i will never use…
This is a direct result of the loud moon mode fan club.
They want to use their 5000K 3000 Lumen lights at night where they sleep..

.

Please tell me to stop going on about this here… Facepalm

shirnask
shirnask's picture
Offline
Last seen: 48 min 31 sec ago
Joined: 03/21/2016 - 23:58
Posts: 1360
Location: Louisiana

Yes, please stop

Pages