[♛ FreemeGB] ASTROLUX MF06 CREE High Power Flashlight with Active Cooling - Not Quite there Yet

405 posts / 0 new
Last post
freeme
freeme's picture
Online
Last seen: 4 min 2 sec ago
Joined: 11/14/2013 - 22:00
Posts: 9026

Changed my title again because manufacturer surprise us a few prototype images today. Not quite i have in mind but let me see if I am able to help them improve the aesthetic. cool

mortuus wrote:
this project is on hold it says so dont hold your breath for now..
Miguel_79
Offline
Last seen: 17 min 38 sec ago
Joined: 04/21/2011 - 06:22
Posts: 296
Location: Spain
freeme wrote:

Changed my title again because manufacturer surprise us a few prototype images today. Not quite i have in mind but let me see if I am able to help them improve the aesthetic. cool


mortuus wrote:
this project is on hold it says so dont hold your breath for now..

And the images? I think I speak for everyone when I say we want to see those photos of the prototype and we want to see them now please!

FlashPilot
FlashPilot's picture
Offline
Last seen: 13 hours 37 min ago
Joined: 05/10/2010 - 16:07
Posts: 4674
Location: USA

Id also like to see the images if you dont mind sharing them. Its nice to see they are jumping back on this project.

freeme
freeme's picture
Online
Last seen: 4 min 2 sec ago
Joined: 11/14/2013 - 22:00
Posts: 9026

Competitors are lurking in BLF. I am only allow to share stuffs when designs are at least 90% completed. cool

SKV89
Online
Last seen: 5 min 31 sec ago
Joined: 12/10/2017 - 12:46
Posts: 4173
Location: US
Blinkinglights wrote:
I would be more inclined to buy an expensive light from Astrolux with a fan in it than say Imalent or Acebeam, because all of my Astrolux lights have been bullet proof, and most of my Imalent lights has either caught on fire or stopped working.

Astrolux maybe comparable to Imalent maybe but definitely nowhere near Acebeam quality and refinement. Acebeam is in a different class in terms of R&D and quality. They are in the same class as Olight, Fenix, and Nitecore.

JasonWW
JasonWW's picture
Offline
Last seen: 22 hours 35 min ago
Joined: 10/22/2016 - 11:41
Posts: 12733
Location: Houston Texas

SKV89 wrote:

Astrolux maybe comparable to Imalent maybe but definitely nowhere near Acebeam quality and refinement. Acebeam is in a different class in terms of R&D and quality. They are in the same class as Olight, Fenix, and Nitecore.

This upper class system is mostly in peoples minds. Those 4 brands have just as many problems as anyone else. Just because they charge higher prices doesn’t always equate to better quality. The higher prices may simply be due to those companies having more overhead (more offices, employees, advertising, etc…) or having better/longer warranties. They are all still made in China. IDK, maybe they are just a tad better in certain areas, but not that much better. A lot of it is marketing and psychological.

Just my opinion, of course.

Texas Ace Lumen Tube and JoshK Sphere calibrated with Maukka lights

Click this to go to signature links. I'm still around, just not reading many new threads.

SKV89
Online
Last seen: 5 min 31 sec ago
Joined: 12/10/2017 - 12:46
Posts: 4173
Location: US

JasonWW wrote:
SKV89 wrote:

Astrolux maybe comparable to Imalent maybe but definitely nowhere near Acebeam quality and refinement. Acebeam is in a different class in terms of R&D and quality. They are in the same class as Olight, Fenix, and Nitecore.

This upper class system is mostly in peoples minds. Those 4 brands have just as many problems as anyone else. Just because they charge higher prices doesn’t always equate to better quality. The higher prices may simply be due to those companies having more overhead (more offices, employees, advertising, etc…) or having better/longer warranties. They are all still made in China. IDK, maybe they are just a tad better in certain areas, but not that much better. A lot of it is marketing and psychological.

Just my opinion, of course.

I own many Olights and Acebeams and a few Fenix and Nitecore. Their quality is definitely on a different level. Not only is the build quality obviously higher (especially the Olights), everything else in there is far more refined and higher quality control. Just look at the driver efficiency, the Olight Perun can sustain true constant 500 lumens for a whopping 4 hours on a single 18650. No 18650 on the market can match that. That is not to say they are perfect without flaws as that is impossible. Even Apple had all kinds of gates (bend gate, antenna gate, touch gate, battery gate, etc.) and Samsung had exploding Note 7s and Galaxy Fold catastrophic failures. If you just pick up a light like the Olight M2R Pro and play with it, you can see how much more refined it is compared with our typical BLF Emisar, Fireflies, Astrolux, Lumintop, Convoy, Imalent lights. In fact I think Olights’ quality is better than any other brand flashlights in existence whether from China or elsewhere. They are like the Apple of flashlights, highly refined and reliable but doesn’t push cutting edge like Samsung and Huawei.

JasonWW
JasonWW's picture
Offline
Last seen: 22 hours 35 min ago
Joined: 10/22/2016 - 11:41
Posts: 12733
Location: Houston Texas

Cool.

Texas Ace Lumen Tube and JoshK Sphere calibrated with Maukka lights

Click this to go to signature links. I'm still around, just not reading many new threads.

Theodore41
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 5 days ago
Joined: 02/20/2016 - 12:57
Posts: 1077
Location: Athens Greece.

Yes of course.But they are reliable lights though.

Sirstinky
Offline
Last seen: 19 min 14 sec ago
Joined: 11/02/2018 - 17:07
Posts: 883
Location: Vancouver, WA

I build lights with active cooling. It’s the only way to sustain high lumen levels for long periods. I push 5000lm out of one of my projects and it will dump the batteries before it overheats. But these are big and not something you stick in your pocket. Still waiting for when they build something pocketable and affordable like $50 that can do the same. I’d like to see this become real someday.

freeme
freeme's picture
Online
Last seen: 4 min 2 sec ago
Joined: 11/14/2013 - 22:00
Posts: 9026

Yes, i will remind them for every single project from now on. cool

Theodore41 wrote:
Yes of course.But they are relaible lights though.
California_Prepper
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 1 day ago
Joined: 02/23/2019 - 13:25
Posts: 437

Any specs on this thing available?

Majoroverkill
Majoroverkill's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 3 weeks ago
Joined: 01/12/2017 - 17:13
Posts: 961
Location: Nevada

Very interested depending on price.

Doug S.

mortuus
mortuus's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 34 min ago
Joined: 12/16/2014 - 09:33
Posts: 2840
Location: Sweden
Sirstinky wrote:
I build lights with active cooling. It’s the only way to sustain high lumen levels for long periods. I push 5000lm out of one of my projects and it will dump the batteries before it overheats. But these are big and not something you stick in your pocket. Still waiting for when they build something pocketable and affordable like $50 that can do the same. I’d like to see this become real someday.

aint gonna happen its very hard look how big the acebeams and imalents lights with fan cooling are and noisy…

...where Frugal meets with Flashlight!

              つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

JasonWW
JasonWW's picture
Offline
Last seen: 22 hours 35 min ago
Joined: 10/22/2016 - 11:41
Posts: 12733
Location: Houston Texas
mortuus wrote:
Sirstinky wrote:
I build lights with active cooling. It’s the only way to sustain high lumen levels for long periods. I push 5000lm out of one of my projects and it will dump the batteries before it overheats. But these are big and not something you stick in your pocket. Still waiting for when they build something pocketable and affordable like $50 that can do the same. I’d like to see this become real someday.

aint gonna happen its very hard look how big the acebeams and imalents lights with fan cooling are and noisy…


You can have quite and pocket size, jacket pocket, but price is at least $400.

MS06 is supposed to be “medium” size. Not a big behemoth.

Texas Ace Lumen Tube and JoshK Sphere calibrated with Maukka lights

Click this to go to signature links. I'm still around, just not reading many new threads.

Theodore41
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 5 days ago
Joined: 02/20/2016 - 12:57
Posts: 1077
Location: Athens Greece.

JasonWW wrote:
SKV89 wrote:

Astrolux maybe comparable to Imalent maybe but definitely nowhere near Acebeam quality and refinement. Acebeam is in a different class in terms of R&D and quality. They are in the same class as Olight, Fenix, and Nitecore.

This upper class system is mostly in peoples minds. Those 4 brands have just as many problems as anyone else. Just because they charge higher prices doesn’t always equate to better quality. The higher prices may simply be due to those companies having more overhead (more offices, employees, advertising, etc…) or having better/longer warranties. They are all still made in China. IDK, maybe they are just a tad better in certain areas, but not that much better. A lot of it is marketing and psychological.

Just my opinion, of course.

I have three Imalent lights,ie DX80,R90C and R90TS and so far they are OK and working well. Smile
mortuus
mortuus's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 34 min ago
Joined: 12/16/2014 - 09:33
Posts: 2840
Location: Sweden
JasonWW wrote:
mortuus wrote:
Sirstinky wrote:
I build lights with active cooling. It’s the only way to sustain high lumen levels for long periods. I push 5000lm out of one of my projects and it will dump the batteries before it overheats. But these are big and not something you stick in your pocket. Still waiting for when they build something pocketable and affordable like $50 that can do the same. I’d like to see this become real someday.

aint gonna happen its very hard look how big the acebeams and imalents lights with fan cooling are and noisy…


You can have quite and pocket size, jacket pocket, but price is at least $400.

MS06 is supposed to be “medium” size. Not a big behemoth.

really? i thought another big rocket.

...where Frugal meets with Flashlight!

              つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

SKV89
Online
Last seen: 5 min 31 sec ago
Joined: 12/10/2017 - 12:46
Posts: 4173
Location: US

The DX80 can sustain 7000 lumens already without active cooling and it’s not that big. Will this flashlight be smaller than a DX80?

JasonWW
JasonWW's picture
Offline
Last seen: 22 hours 35 min ago
Joined: 10/22/2016 - 11:41
Posts: 12733
Location: Houston Texas

mortuus wrote:
JasonWW wrote:

MS06 is supposed to be “medium” size. Not a big behemoth.

really? i thought another big rocket.


Here’s what Freeme said a while back.

freeme wrote:

MF06 is more of a high performance, high CRI, medium size flashlight. Completely different form factor from MF03. More appealing for the masses, in terms of weight, power, and price.


I can guarantee that at least 95+% of the members here (including me), have not owned a light with such configuration. cool


SKV89 wrote:
The DX80 can sustain 7000 lumens already without active cooling and it’s not that big. Will this flashlight be smaller than a DX80?

Probably, the DX80 uses 8 × 18650 and a decent size head. Not much smaller than the MF03.

To be smaller I’m thinking either 4 × 18650, 3 × 18650 or 2 × 26650.

Here is a comparison pic with the DX80 on the left. It’s pretty big. I’m thinking the MF06 could be sized more like the middle two lights.

Maybe the size of the old fan cooled Microfire L500R as seen below. ($400, 3 × 18650, btw)

This would be a nice size.

Texas Ace Lumen Tube and JoshK Sphere calibrated with Maukka lights

Click this to go to signature links. I'm still around, just not reading many new threads.

SKV89
Online
Last seen: 5 min 31 sec ago
Joined: 12/10/2017 - 12:46
Posts: 4173
Location: US

That Microfire looks really good. Would be cool if they just update those with modern emitters.

JasonWW
JasonWW's picture
Offline
Last seen: 22 hours 35 min ago
Joined: 10/22/2016 - 11:41
Posts: 12733
Location: Houston Texas

SKV89 wrote:
That Microfire looks really good. Would be cool if they just update those with modern emitters.

I’m not sure they are still in business. Their website works, but does not seem to be updated since 2017.

Texas Ace Lumen Tube and JoshK Sphere calibrated with Maukka lights

Click this to go to signature links. I'm still around, just not reading many new threads.

California_Prepper
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 1 day ago
Joined: 02/23/2019 - 13:25
Posts: 437

Any more info?

Chinaheart
Chinaheart's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 16 hours ago
Joined: 07/19/2019 - 22:56
Posts: 239
Location: Philippines

Interested

 

freeme
freeme's picture
Online
Last seen: 4 min 2 sec ago
Joined: 11/14/2013 - 22:00
Posts: 9026

Probably after MF05? There are quite a lot of work needed from their prototype. cool

California_Prepper wrote:
Any more info?
WV_Flashlight_Fan
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 1 week ago
Joined: 01/28/2020 - 09:33
Posts: 8
Location: USA

In

Giancarlo
Giancarlo's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 8 hours ago
Joined: 07/10/2013 - 22:43
Posts: 131
Location: Rome

Interested

Miguel_79
Offline
Last seen: 17 min 38 sec ago
Joined: 04/21/2011 - 06:22
Posts: 296
Location: Spain

I know that months ago you told us that the project was put on hold but … could you ask Astrolux if they has made any progress? No matter how small it is. I hope don’t hear that the project has been canceled.

Hardusvd70
Hardusvd70's picture
Offline
Last seen: 12 hours 6 min ago
Joined: 04/09/2017 - 01:11
Posts: 305
Location: Free State

Interested

Hardusvd70

Th558
Th558's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 50 min ago
Joined: 01/30/2016 - 16:19
Posts: 969
Location: United Kingdom

Almost forgot about this. Any updates?

freeme
freeme's picture
Online
Last seen: 4 min 2 sec ago
Joined: 11/14/2013 - 22:00
Posts: 9026

Nothing worth showing at the moment.

Th558 wrote:
Almost forgot about this. Any updates?

Pages