*BLF LT1 Lantern Project) (updated Nov,17,2020)

11691 posts / 0 new
Last post
jeff51
jeff51's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 9 hours ago
Joined: 03/26/2019 - 17:36
Posts: 1121
Location: Middle of Texas

I’ve got a black one.
Now waiting for a RED one,
All the Best,
Jeff

FollowspotDude
Offline
Last seen: 12 months 2 days ago
Joined: 05/19/2020 - 01:21
Posts: 28
Location: USA

Sofirn recently cancelled one of my BLF LT1 orders on their own because they hadn’t shipped it in over 30 days. When I contacted them about it, they said they were out of stock and are hoping to have another production run sometime in July.

I just received my first order last week after 53 days. What an amazing piece of kit! I’ve been using it every single night. Absolutely solid construction, to the point that I’m worried about dropping it. Not that it would get harmed, rather it feels like it’d crack the floor tiles. I have an EDC18, so the UI’s familiar and makes great sense with this lantern. The LEDs…are amazing. The high CRI makes a huge difference. At 2700K, it puts out nicer light than the Philips LED bulbs I have here. The illuminated button is great too, almost a night light.

Could someone tell me what the trim pot is supposed to do? I have a Rev 5.0 board in mine. I’ve seen mentions in the thread that it’s for the locator light, but it doesn’t seem to do anything on mine.

DudeMan
DudeMan's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 months 2 days ago
Joined: 11/24/2019 - 02:15
Posts: 87
Location: NJ

FollowspotDude wrote:
Could someone tell me what the trim pot is supposed to do? I have a Rev 5.0 board in mine. I’ve seen mentions in the thread that it’s for the locator light, but it doesn’t seem to do anything on mine.

it’s my understanding that it’s for modders. stock it has no function.
sbslider
sbslider's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 3 hours ago
Joined: 01/22/2017 - 13:41
Posts: 1649
Location: United States

DudeMan wrote:
FollowspotDude wrote:
Could someone tell me what the trim pot is supposed to do? I have a Rev 5.0 board in mine. I’ve seen mentions in the thread that it’s for the locator light, but it doesn’t seem to do anything on mine.

it’s my understanding that it’s for modders. stock it has no function.

agreed, I removed if from my LT1. No change in performance or utility. Also no risk in it damaging cells or getting ripped off by a cell. Not sure why we didn’t ask for it to just be removed on rev 5.0, other than like DudeMan said, perhaps a modder could do something with it.

PocketSammich wrote: I don’t need this, but I want it. Please sign me up.

DudeMan
DudeMan's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 months 2 days ago
Joined: 11/24/2019 - 02:15
Posts: 87
Location: NJ

no issue for me with button tops (protected 35E) Rev 5.0
for best results in my opinion, just get button tops.

YogibearAl
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 11 hours ago
Joined: 12/29/2019 - 03:38
Posts: 221
Location: WA

Ordered 5/16 arrived 7/1 – Full kit with batteries and case.

The case fits perfect BTW – Charging cable and extra gasket rings along with usage manual.

xevious
xevious's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 51 min ago
Joined: 02/27/2013 - 21:55
Posts: 2424
Location: Hoboken, NJ USA

^ Looks great! Thanks for sharing the photos.

I’m a little confused about the old stock that Sofirn is still trying to get rid of. On the SofirnLight.com website, shipping is indicated as anywhere from 14 to 28 business days. But then on AliExpress, the Sofirn store shows delivery as soon as 7 business days. Are they all shipping from the same warehouse and only one delivery estimate is correct?

SerenityNow
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 1 week ago
Joined: 02/01/2020 - 23:39
Posts: 145

This is my favorite and most used light I’ve ever bought by far (granted, I only have about 20). Thank you DBSAR and Sofirn.

DBSAR
DBSAR's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 8 hours ago
Joined: 02/11/2013 - 23:28
Posts: 6367
Location: Newfoundland, Canada

SerenityNow wrote:
This is my favorite and most used light I’ve ever bought by far (granted, I only have about 20). Thank you DBSAR and Sofirn.

Thumbs Up Big Smile

That Canadian flashlight guy & Lantern Guru -Den / DBSARlight

BT100
Offline
Last seen: 3 days 9 hours ago
Joined: 03/26/2017 - 13:23
Posts: 127
Location: AZ USA

I have over $1k in w30, BLF GT’s, BLF GT90’s. that have been used maybe a dozen times. …. The $100 I spent on the 2 BLF LT1’s is the best $ spent cause I use them every day! thanks DBSAR and LT1 team!!

ToyKeeper
ToyKeeper's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 41 min ago
Joined: 01/12/2013 - 14:40
Posts: 10728
Location: (469219) 2016 HO3
jeff51 wrote:
… a sunset that could be programed as far as time and how it stepped down. AND, it needs to be easily started. Like at any brightness, do the Sunset click, and the light winks at me to let me know all is well. … For years my bedside light was an old Eternalight. Remember these?

I’ve been wanting that too… and considering how to redo it so the sunset mode would be configurable. The main difficulty is finding a convenient place to fit it into the UI without colliding with other functions. I’m thinking they could ramp to the desired brightness, do some button clicks, and it would turn on a timer like what happens in candle mode. Repeat the clicks to make the timer longer. Not sure about the details, though.

I’ve also been thinking about how to rewrite muggle mode to make it better, and enable it by default so new users have a simple mode until they decide they want more. The general idea is to remove “muggle mode” entirely, and instead have sort of an overlay which blocks access to advanced features. The user could remove the restrictions by doing a a button click sequence, something which would be difficult to do by accident.

So it would be in the “normal UI” by default, and reset to normal mode after each factory reset… and it would work pretty much like a “normal” flashlight. But if the user bothers to read the manual, they could enable the “advanced UI” to get the full feature set.

I might also do some other changes which break backward compatibility, and rename the firmware to “Anduril2” or something. There have been a bunch of things I’ve wanted to change but haven’t because of compatibility… but perhaps I can change those all at once.

RobertB wrote:
Red XP-E2’s. The red is nice for a “Camping Lantern”, to not attract bugs.

We’ve been looking into the feasibility of adding a third power channel for red, in addition to the warm white and cool white LEDs. It sounds like it’s relatively straightforward to do in terms of the driver and the firmware. If it happens, I’d implement it as an extension to the tint ramp, or perhaps a red/white toggle… so it would still work in every UI mode, and would simply be a different “tint”. Like, if you ramp all the way to the warm end of the ramp and keep holding the button long enough, it would go into red mode.

jeff51
jeff51's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 9 hours ago
Joined: 03/26/2019 - 17:36
Posts: 1121
Location: Middle of Texas

TK,
If Apple can tell the world “Hey we’re changing the OS. So adapt or die. And buy all new software to get things done.”
And when they move to the next CPU format, it’s going to happen again – Big Time.
So – I’ve got no problems with a new Anduril 2.0.
All the Best,
Jeff

RobertB
RobertB's picture
Offline
Last seen: 12 hours 56 min ago
Joined: 12/18/2015 - 17:49
Posts: 3696
Location: USA, Michigan

ToyKeeper wrote:
RobertB wrote:
Red XP-E2’s. The red is nice for a “Camping Lantern”, to not attract bugs.

We’ve been looking into the feasibility of adding a third power channel for red, in addition to the warm white and cool white LEDs. It sounds like it’s relatively straightforward to do in terms of the driver and the firmware. If it happens, I’d implement it as an extension to the tint ramp, or perhaps a red/white toggle… so it would still work in every UI mode, and would simply be a different “tint”. Like, if you ramp all the way to the warm end of the ramp and keep holding the button long enough, it would go into red mode.

I could totally get onboard with that, thanks.

reno
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 3 weeks ago
Joined: 06/20/2016 - 18:58
Posts: 20

Does Sofirn have any plans to sell the lens and ledboard individually?

jeff51
jeff51's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 9 hours ago
Joined: 03/26/2019 - 17:36
Posts: 1121
Location: Middle of Texas

Just got one of the JBL speaker cases from Amazon to pack my LT1 in. $10.

Fits along with the cable and a USB power adapter. It’s a little loose at the bottom of the lantern end. I might add a piece of foam eventually.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BVNMXB4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_...

Now I wait for a RED one.

All the Best,
Jeff

Perception
Offline
Last seen: 3 days 8 hours ago
Joined: 10/01/2019 - 20:11
Posts: 132

jeff51 wrote:
Just got one of the JBL speaker cases from Amazon to pack my LT1 in. $10.

Fits along with the cable and a USB power adapter. It’s a little loose at the bottom of the lantern end. I might add a piece of foam eventually.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BVNMXB4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_...

Now I wait for a RED one.

All the Best,
Jeff

Oh, I like that. Mine’s been riding around in my backpack unprotected, and I don’t really like it. That speaker case looks absolutely perfect.

YogibearAl
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 11 hours ago
Joined: 12/29/2019 - 03:38
Posts: 221
Location: WA

The case I got from Sofirn in the kit is also made for the JBL speaker, but interior isn’t as nice with the bubbled padding. Cables and extra washers fit with the same dividers. Added some extra foam over the cloth lining.$5.00 if bought with the kit.

Cggzilla
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 2 months ago
Joined: 09/03/2019 - 19:01
Posts: 7
Location: Canada

Does anyone know if the Amazon Canada LT1 is the latest 5.0 Version?

sixhundredmiles
sixhundredmiles's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 06/21/2018 - 04:41
Posts: 10
Location: Bristol, UK

ToyKeeper wrote:
RobertB wrote:
Red XP-E2’s. The red is nice for a “Camping Lantern”, to not attract bugs.

We’ve been looking into the feasibility of adding a third power channel for red, in addition to the warm white and cool white LEDs. It sounds like it’s relatively straightforward to do in terms of the driver and the firmware. If it happens, I’d implement it as an extension to the tint ramp, or perhaps a red/white toggle… so it would still work in every UI mode, and would simply be a different “tint”. Like, if you ramp all the way to the warm end of the ramp and keep holding the button long enough, it would go into red mode.

If this happens, can it please use “photo red” (670nm) or even “cherry red” (700nm) deep red LED wavelengths?

Just got my Zebralight H502pr the other day and the 670nm makes such a difference over the usual orangey hue (630nm) of most ‘red’ LEDs.

I mean, it’s ideal for avoiding insects while out camping, but it’s also beautiful!

Lightenzaza
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 3 min ago
Joined: 01/15/2020 - 13:31
Posts: 207
Location: Qc,Can.

Cggzilla wrote:
Does anyone know if the Amazon Canada LT1 is the latest 5.0 Version?

Mine, 5 weeks old, is 5.0 .

Caught a sickness . I found out i'm not alone .
p12gt, tn12v4, s1, tk15, s2+, pd35tac, fd65, tk35 ue 2018, d4v2, kr4, kr1vn, d4sv2, fw3a, x9l, sp31v2.0, sp32av2.0, sp36blf, sp40, lt1, sp31uv, sc31pro, sc21, hs05, e07, e07x, tk18, pt40

Nooner
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 43 min ago
Joined: 12/18/2017 - 09:42
Posts: 342
Location: Canada
Cggzilla wrote:
Does anyone know if the Amazon Canada LT1 is the latest 5.0 Version?

I ordered one on June 20 and it was the 5.0 version.

cloggy
Offline
Last seen: 13 hours 27 min ago
Joined: 07/08/2012 - 07:04
Posts: 217
Location: Brabourne Lees, UK

Perception wrote:
jeff51 wrote:
Just got one of the JBL speaker cases from Amazon to pack my LT1 in. $10.

Fits along with the cable and a USB power adapter. It’s a little loose at the bottom of the lantern end. I might add a piece of foam eventually.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BVNMXB4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_...

Now I wait for a RED one.

All the Best,
Jeff

Oh, I like that. Mine’s been riding around in my backpack unprotected, and I don’t really like it. That speaker case looks absolutely perfect.


Just bought a red one from Amazon UK. Available in black and blue as well for £7.99.
What a great find, perfect fit, could have been made for the lantern and has room for cable storage at the end.

cloggy

cedarman
Offline
Last seen: 11 months 5 days ago
Joined: 09/05/2019 - 11:26
Posts: 5
Location: Weymouth, MA USA

Is there any ETA for a shade for this light?

Coscar
Coscar's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 16 min ago
Joined: 01/03/2016 - 20:16
Posts: 780
Location: Gulf Coast

Here are some shades I made from ‘collapsible, silicone dog bowls’ for my LT1 and Zanflare T1 lanterns. The bowls were originally only $2/ea on eBay last year but I think they might be a little more now. They work great and I cant imagine my lanterns without them.

Im not a Pessimist …. just an Optimist with a lot of experience


A little John Prine

cedarman
Offline
Last seen: 11 months 5 days ago
Joined: 09/05/2019 - 11:26
Posts: 5
Location: Weymouth, MA USA

Great idea! I got a red/yellow/white/black set for $10

Lazy-R-us
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 09/13/2015 - 00:30
Posts: 685
Location: Carolinas, USA

sbslider wrote:

I would be sort of surprised if Sofirn is still doing codes, its been 8 months since the lantern came out. But if you get one, let us know as I’ve got a 2 or 3 code entries I’ve not used yet.

Yeah, I was not confident, I’d like a tan or orange version. I waited to buy both for the chance at colors and to give others the ability to get theirs.

The response I got was (paraphrased): “We are selling them direct from our website, we have new old stock with the USB-C known issue that you can buy for $48, or with batteries for $57.”

I went ahead and ordered a couple. One is already spoken for by a neighbor who wanted hurricane prep lights and came to me for advice. Deity knows when they will come in.

Lazy-R-us

California_Prepper
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 2 days ago
Joined: 02/23/2019 - 13:25
Posts: 444

Lazy-R-us wrote:
sbslider wrote:

I would be sort of surprised if Sofirn is still doing codes, its been 8 months since the lantern came out. But if you get one, let us know as I’ve got a 2 or 3 code entries I’ve not used yet.

Yeah, I was not confident, I’d like a tan or orange version. I waited to buy both for the chance at colors and to give others the ability to get theirs.

The response I got was (paraphrased): “We are selling them direct from our website, we have new old stock with the USB-C known issue that you can buy for $48, or with batteries for $57.”

I went ahead and ordered a couple. One is already spoken for by a neighbor who wanted hurricane prep lights and came to me for advice. Deity knows when they will come in.

What is the usb-c issue?

MtnDon
MtnDon's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 27 min ago
Joined: 08/27/2015 - 18:25
Posts: 3762
Location: Canuk in NM

The original version can only charge via a USB-A to USB-C cord.

A USB-C to USB-C will not charge on the original version as the required resistors were not included.

Not a deal breaker IMO.

California_Prepper
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 2 days ago
Joined: 02/23/2019 - 13:25
Posts: 444

Good to know. I have the original version,usb a to usb c suits me just fine.

sochi111
sochi111's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 days 6 hours ago
Joined: 02/21/2017 - 14:59
Posts: 338
Lightenzaza wrote:
Cggzilla wrote:
Does anyone know if the Amazon Canada LT1 is the latest 5.0 Version?
Mine, 5 weeks old, is 5.0 .

There are already 5 versions of the LT1?

Pages