What blade did you EDC today?

4031 posts / 0 new
Last post
chooma
Online
Last seen: 10 min 18 sec ago
Joined: 02/04/2016 - 01:07
Posts: 823
Location: US

I’m here in the nard (Oxnard) 77 with a 13mph onshore breeze 4 miles from the beach.

BrightKen
Offline
Last seen: 6 months 1 week ago
Joined: 04/24/2013 - 18:42
Posts: 587
Location: West Coast Canada

Today’s EDC is the old school Emerson Horseman.

!

Emerson Horseman
!
scalpel_ninja
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 41 min ago
Joined: 07/07/2020 - 18:13
Posts: 253
chooma wrote:
I’m here in the nard (Oxnard) 77 with a 13mph onshore breeze 4 miles from the beach.

Quiet you! Tired Wink

How’s that Opinel?

Current Collection:

Inova X5 | Maratac Titanium Inspection AAAx2 XPL-G2 swapped to Nichia 219B sw45K | Wowtac A2S NW | Noctigon KR4 Ti/Cu E21A 4500K + 18350 tube | Thrunite Ti3 NW | Wurkkos FC11 x2 swapped to Nichia 219B 3500K | FW3 CuTi XPL-HI 5000K + 18350 tube | Olight I1R EOS (de-anodized) | Convoy S2+ 7135x8 T6-3B | SkyLumen LEPvn | HDS Rotary Nichia 219B 4000K | Nitecore Cu TINI | Fraz Labs Tiny Tank 18350 | TnC Aluminum Deep Red

chooma
Online
Last seen: 10 min 18 sec ago
Joined: 02/04/2016 - 01:07
Posts: 823
Location: US

It’s in my hand right now. I’ve always thought that they were wierd but cool.
And I was right! Lol
It’s a keeper, thanks.

scalpel_ninja
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 41 min ago
Joined: 07/07/2020 - 18:13
Posts: 253

Nice! I’m glad you like it. I haven’t done one myself, but there are people online who mod their Opinels by reshaping the wooden handle and staining it different colors. They look really cool too.

Current Collection:

Inova X5 | Maratac Titanium Inspection AAAx2 XPL-G2 swapped to Nichia 219B sw45K | Wowtac A2S NW | Noctigon KR4 Ti/Cu E21A 4500K + 18350 tube | Thrunite Ti3 NW | Wurkkos FC11 x2 swapped to Nichia 219B 3500K | FW3 CuTi XPL-HI 5000K + 18350 tube | Olight I1R EOS (de-anodized) | Convoy S2+ 7135x8 T6-3B | SkyLumen LEPvn | HDS Rotary Nichia 219B 4000K | Nitecore Cu TINI | Fraz Labs Tiny Tank 18350 | TnC Aluminum Deep Red

djmcconn
djmcconn's picture
Offline
Last seen: 35 min 28 sec ago
Joined: 10/07/2011 - 23:04
Posts: 423
Location: North Carolina

RC take care in that heat. I understand you are accustomed to dealing with it but please be careful

cohoer
Online
Last seen: 14 min 6 sec ago
Joined: 08/07/2020 - 21:40
Posts: 239

Fossil fuel to the rescue.

sparkyDK
Offline
Last seen: 4 weeks 3 hours ago
Joined: 04/08/2017 - 11:30
Posts: 512
Location: Denmark

Well fossil fuel are outlawed in Denmark soon, as i recall the plan is for a 70% reduction in CO2 output in 10 years.i dont quite get it, electricity prices here are about the highest of any country in the world, but of course nowadays much of it come from wind.
Not long ago electric heating was just about the most silly thing you could ever do in a house, and since KW prices have not gone down i am wondering why people change or are forced to change to that now.
Maybe newfangled heat exchange things ( air 2 air or air 2 water ) are better than a old school electric heater.

AC in a house, at least for the the regular mortal house owner, that pretty much dont exist in Denmark, and really from our place on the globe we dont really need that,,,,,, at the moment.

Like the shape of that Emerson, aside for the thumb thing.

/Me lean back and do circular motions with 2 fingers on his nipples, while he whisper “ you can do it”

isti242
isti242's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 36 min ago
Joined: 07/09/2011 - 15:11
Posts: 1640
Location: EU

My freshly pimped CRKT Crossbones today:

xevious
xevious's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 2 min ago
Joined: 02/27/2013 - 21:55
Posts: 2409
Location: Hoboken, NJ USA

raccoon city wrote:

Kershaw Payout 2075!


ks_payout_2075


I received this knife today, and it’s my favorite knife of all time.


I have owned scores of knives, and this one takes the cake.


It’s also the most expensive knife that I have bought by a small margin.


It opens so well, and it has a very nice heft to it, and it’s a large knife, and the clip is great.


What’s surprising to me is that it’s made in China.


Before today, my favorite knives of all time were all made in the USA.


They weren’t a whole lot better than my favorite knives made in China, but they were better.



One strange thing about this knife is that with my screwdriver set, I could not adjust the pivot screw.


I have a larger screwdriver set somewhere, but I don’t know where it is, and I haven’t seen it in years.


But what’s really important is that I absolutely love this knife.  alt=:" />

That is a really striking design. Glad to hear it hit home for you, Raccoon. Thumbs Up

3.5” and 5.3oz weight is a bit on the heavy side for what I’d considered an ideal EDC. But for some, it may be just right.

I found my perfect EDC — The Asher Nomad. It ticks off “all the right boxes” — size, weight, performance, action, design, and steel. Pretty much the largest knife I own that can “disappear” in my pocket. Thin enough profile that I forget it’s there. Really loving this knife on so many levels. It is keeping me from buying anything else right now. Big Smile

raccoon city
raccoon city's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 29 min ago
Joined: 10/06/2010 - 02:35
Posts: 16848
Location: रॅकून सिटी Palm Desert CA USA

djmcconn wrote:

RC take care in that heat. I understand you are accustomed to dealing with it but please be careful

Yep, we will.  :THUMBS-UP:

My family is used to it by now, but it is really important to be careful with this heat.

That means staying inside as much as possible during the day.

scalpel_ninja
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 41 min ago
Joined: 07/07/2020 - 18:13
Posts: 253

Inspired by raccoon city’s talk about Kershaws, here’s one of my favorites:

Kershaw Ferrite

Hinderer design, lock bar over travel stop. The blade spine has a contour that fits my thumb perfectly for finer control.

I didn’t like the thumb stud as it’s redundant with the flipper tab and practically impossible to deploy with it anyway. It also sits in the cutting path and hinders sharpening. So I heated it with a soldering iron (red Loctite) and removed it with a vise and channel locks. I also sanded the blade coating as it looked very bland with the scales coated with the same color.

Current Collection:

Inova X5 | Maratac Titanium Inspection AAAx2 XPL-G2 swapped to Nichia 219B sw45K | Wowtac A2S NW | Noctigon KR4 Ti/Cu E21A 4500K + 18350 tube | Thrunite Ti3 NW | Wurkkos FC11 x2 swapped to Nichia 219B 3500K | FW3 CuTi XPL-HI 5000K + 18350 tube | Olight I1R EOS (de-anodized) | Convoy S2+ 7135x8 T6-3B | SkyLumen LEPvn | HDS Rotary Nichia 219B 4000K | Nitecore Cu TINI | Fraz Labs Tiny Tank 18350 | TnC Aluminum Deep Red

Photon Master
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 19 min ago
Joined: 04/07/2018 - 14:04
Posts: 813
Location: Mars

Emerson Super Karambit in left pocket, Emerson Pro-tech non serrated auto in right pocket with a Matthew Martin titanium tactical pen (:

xevious
xevious's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 2 min ago
Joined: 02/27/2013 - 21:55
Posts: 2409
Location: Hoboken, NJ USA

Boaz
Boaz's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 49 min ago
Joined: 11/07/2010 - 09:31
Posts: 7655
Location: Birthplace of Aviation

Got a pair in the mail today .Nice little knife for under 10$

       καὶ τὸ φῶς ἐν τῇ σκοτίᾳ φαίνει καὶ ἡ σκοτία αὐτὸ οὐ κατέλαβεν

                            

       Dc-fix diffuser film  >…  http://budgetlightforum.com/node/42208

isti242
isti242's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 36 min ago
Joined: 07/09/2011 - 15:11
Posts: 1640
Location: EU

Sanrenmu 9202 and my pimped Voltron razor:

xevious
xevious's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 2 min ago
Joined: 02/27/2013 - 21:55
Posts: 2409
Location: Hoboken, NJ USA

isti242 wrote:
Sanrenmu 9202 and my pimped Voltron razor:
That Voltron razor with wooden scales looks gorgeous. Do you have a link to the topic where you modified it?
isti242
isti242's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 36 min ago
Joined: 07/09/2011 - 15:11
Posts: 1640
Location: EU
xevious wrote:
That Voltron razor with wooden scales looks gorgeous. Do you have a link to the topic where you modified it?

Thank you! Smile
Unfortunately I was too lazy to document the process which included the following mods:
- rounding the corner of the lock- bar;
- slightly reshaping the wooden handle scales then finishing them with some linseed oil;
- replacing the nylon washers to bronze ones;
- reprofiling the edge using 120# to 3000# diamonds and the UF rods of the Sharpmaker as the last step;
I also had to replace the pivot screw since the original one was so heavily locktited I had to drill it out.

xevious
xevious's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 2 min ago
Joined: 02/27/2013 - 21:55
Posts: 2409
Location: Hoboken, NJ USA
isti242 wrote:
xevious wrote:
That Voltron razor with wooden scales looks gorgeous. Do you have a link to the topic where you modified it?

Thank you! Smile
Unfortunately I was too lazy to document the process which included the following mods:
- rounding the corner of the lock- bar;
- slightly reshaping the wooden handle scales then finishing them with some linseed oil;
- replacing the nylon washers to bronze ones;
- reprofiling the edge using 120# to 3000# diamonds and the UF rods of the Sharpmaker as the last step;
I also had to replace the pivot screw since the original one was so heavily locktited I had to drill it out.


Yeah, I’d want to get rid of those nylon washers and go to bronze too. That’s disappointing they used such serious Loctite on it that required drilling out the pivot screw. I see it’s a mini (V15 Razor) and it was sold back in 2018… not available any longer. Bummer!
scalpel_ninja
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 41 min ago
Joined: 07/07/2020 - 18:13
Posts: 253

Current Collection:

Inova X5 | Maratac Titanium Inspection AAAx2 XPL-G2 swapped to Nichia 219B sw45K | Wowtac A2S NW | Noctigon KR4 Ti/Cu E21A 4500K + 18350 tube | Thrunite Ti3 NW | Wurkkos FC11 x2 swapped to Nichia 219B 3500K | FW3 CuTi XPL-HI 5000K + 18350 tube | Olight I1R EOS (de-anodized) | Convoy S2+ 7135x8 T6-3B | SkyLumen LEPvn | HDS Rotary Nichia 219B 4000K | Nitecore Cu TINI | Fraz Labs Tiny Tank 18350 | TnC Aluminum Deep Red

SuzukiGS750EZ
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 1 week ago
Joined: 09/07/2020 - 17:42
Posts: 47
Location: CT, USA

I can’t upload a photo via mobile as i use tapatalk and this forum isn’t available…. but today i’m EDC’ing a Chris Reeve Large Inkosi in red micarta. Normally it’s a carbon fiber/titanium spyderco military in s90v. And i always have a victorinox minichamp in my pocket with whatever blade i’m carrying.

ArtieT59
ArtieT59's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 34 min ago
Joined: 02/25/2020 - 17:55
Posts: 2801
Location: CT, USA
xevious wrote:
!{width:90%}https://i.postimg.cc/NFSB4D6Z/Asher-Knives-Nomad-03.jpg!

That is beautiful! what size blade? i may be buying one. I love my bugout, but i like the look of this knife better. nice high flat looking grind, which i prefer greatly. I love this forum page as i very regularly see knives i’ve never even heard of before. i got into knives before flashlights, but both within the last two years.

[FLF] Five Light Friday https://budgetlightforum.com/node/78749

Check out some of my new lights (picture heavy) and quick first impressions of them here: https://budgetlightforum.com/node/77180

My Sft40 beamshots / comparison thread: https://budgetlightforum.com/node/78100

ArtieT59
ArtieT59's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 34 min ago
Joined: 02/25/2020 - 17:55
Posts: 2801
Location: CT, USA

My EDC most days (FH-41 in D2). I can abuse it, dont worry if i were to lose it. I dont much like clones as it kind of rubs me the wrong way. although this isn’t a clone (i don’t think) i know Ganzo makes them regularly, i just don’t buy those models. I only buy what looks like, to me, to be an original design. speaking of which, this knife’s design is great. Fits in my (XL glove size) hands very well. Fall shut action which is impressive for a $20 knife found on Amazon.

[FLF] Five Light Friday https://budgetlightforum.com/node/78749

Check out some of my new lights (picture heavy) and quick first impressions of them here: https://budgetlightforum.com/node/77180

My Sft40 beamshots / comparison thread: https://budgetlightforum.com/node/78100

xevious
xevious's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 2 min ago
Joined: 02/27/2013 - 21:55
Posts: 2409
Location: Hoboken, NJ USA
Artiet59 wrote:
xevious wrote:

That is beautiful! what size blade? i may be buying one. I love my bugout, but i like the look of this knife better. nice high flat looking grind, which i prefer greatly. I love this forum page as i very regularly see knives i’ve never even heard of before. i got into knives before flashlights, but both within the last two years.

Thanks. The blade is 3.2” long. Weight is 3.5oz. The minimalist design is what initially drew me to it and the build quality is excellent. Plus axis-lock & S35VN. Thinner profile than most knives I’ve owned makes it an ideal EDC. Phosphor bronze washers. After opening/closing for a few days, breaking in the washers, action is so smooth.
ArtieT59
ArtieT59's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 34 min ago
Joined: 02/25/2020 - 17:55
Posts: 2801
Location: CT, USA
xevious wrote:
Artiet59 wrote:
xevious wrote:

That is beautiful! what size blade? i may be buying one. I love my bugout, but i like the look of this knife better. nice high flat looking grind, which i prefer greatly. I love this forum page as i very regularly see knives i’ve never even heard of before. i got into knives before flashlights, but both within the last two years.

Thanks. The blade is 3.2” long. Weight is 3.5oz. The minimalist design is what initially drew me to it and the build quality is excellent. Plus axis-lock & S35VN. Thinner profile than most knives I’ve owned makes it an ideal EDC. Phosphor bronze washers. After opening/closing for a few days, breaking in the washers, action is so smooth.

That is awesome to know the axis lock works well, always worries me a little since it is still relatively new to the open market and even Benchmade has issues with it occasionally and they’ve been doing it for 25 years. S35vn – super steel and nice internals all for under $75 it looks like, awesome value! I may get the one with the harpoon blade. Looks cool too. Plus the one you have looks out of stock at the moment. or I could just practice patience.

[FLF] Five Light Friday https://budgetlightforum.com/node/78749

Check out some of my new lights (picture heavy) and quick first impressions of them here: https://budgetlightforum.com/node/77180

My Sft40 beamshots / comparison thread: https://budgetlightforum.com/node/78100

TheAuditor
Offline
Last seen: 11 hours 17 min ago
Joined: 12/04/2017 - 06:33
Posts: 684
Location: United Kingdom

Just received this:

https://www.bladehq.com/item—QSP-Pangolin-Liner-Lock-Knife-Black—113404

It’s very nice, flipper action is excellent, and it feels well made. Just a tad heavy for edc tho.

Bonum commune communitatis.

Yarp.

xevious
xevious's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 2 min ago
Joined: 02/27/2013 - 21:55
Posts: 2409
Location: Hoboken, NJ USA

Artiet59 wrote:
That is awesome to know the axis lock works well, always worries me a little since it is still relatively new to the open market and even Benchmade has issues with it occasionally and they’ve been doing it for 25 years. S35vn – super steel and nice internals all for under $75 it looks like, awesome value! I may get the one with the harpoon blade. Looks cool too. Plus the one you have looks out of stock at the moment. or I could just practice patience.
Asher works directly with a maker in China that also serves some of the bigger knife houses. Justin was really on top of QC. They do have a lot of interesting offerings. I got a discount on my Nomad when I bundled it with a Tracker (fixed blade), which also turned out to be an excellent buy.

TheAuditor wrote:
Just received this:

https://www.bladehq.com/item—QSP-Pangolin-Liner-Lock-Knife-Black—113404

It’s very nice, flipper action is excellent, and it feels well made. Just a tad heavy for edc tho.


Your link is broken. Here: QSP Pangolin

5.3oz for a 4.75” blade isn’t bad, actually. Good price for D2.

ChrisGarrett
ChrisGarrett's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 1 min ago
Joined: 02/12/2014 - 22:03
Posts: 986
Location: Miami, Florida

Maybe one of these, if I go out?

Chris

ArtieT59
ArtieT59's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 34 min ago
Joined: 02/25/2020 - 17:55
Posts: 2801
Location: CT, USA

@TheAuditor
Link didn’t work for me, but searched it on BHQ, nice Knife! Solid price for g10 / D2. I like bigger EDC’s so i my have to try that one. I was on a 3” & under EDC kick until I realized my hands are just large enough to not be able to comfortably use many sub 3” blades day in and out. That is except the elementum ! Love that knife, just wish it had a flat grind, but not a deal breaker. Im sure there are others but i don’t even look at sub 3” anymore. I really want to try the ferrum forge / drop Gent ( i think its called that) it looks like the flat ground version of the elementum to me. I have an XL glove size, my hands aren’t huge but my mini griptilian is almost unusable for anything but opening mail because i cannot get a solid grip. Needless to say my Rat 1 (heavy!) and Baklash (Perfect weight!) get the most use. The Civivi Dogma was also a pleasant surprise- very light and solid size.

[FLF] Five Light Friday https://budgetlightforum.com/node/78749

Check out some of my new lights (picture heavy) and quick first impressions of them here: https://budgetlightforum.com/node/77180

My Sft40 beamshots / comparison thread: https://budgetlightforum.com/node/78100

ArtieT59
ArtieT59's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 34 min ago
Joined: 02/25/2020 - 17:55
Posts: 2801
Location: CT, USA

xevious wrote:
Artiet59 wrote:
That is awesome to know the axis lock works well, always worries me a little since it is still relatively new to the open market and even Benchmade has issues with it occasionally and they’ve been doing it for 25 years. S35vn – super steel and nice internals all for under $75 it looks like, awesome value! I may get the one with the harpoon blade. Looks cool too. Plus the one you have looks out of stock at the moment. or I could just practice patience.
Asher works directly with a maker in China that also serves some of the bigger knife houses. Justin was really on top of QC. They do have a lot of interesting offerings. I got a discount on my Nomad when I bundled it with a Tracker (fixed blade), which also turned out to be an excellent buy.

TheAuditor wrote:
Just received this:

https://www.bladehq.com/item—QSP-Pangolin-Liner-Lock-Knife-Black—113404

It’s very nice, flipper action is excellent, and it feels well made. Just a tad heavy for edc tho.


Your link is broken. Here: QSP Pangolin

5.3oz for a 4.75” blade isn’t bad, actually. Good price for D2.

Thanks for the info! Sorry, I do not know how to delete part a quote on blf, in an effort to shorten my responses.

[FLF] Five Light Friday https://budgetlightforum.com/node/78749

Check out some of my new lights (picture heavy) and quick first impressions of them here: https://budgetlightforum.com/node/77180

My Sft40 beamshots / comparison thread: https://budgetlightforum.com/node/78100

Pages