[Technical discussions] Sofirn SP35 - SST40, 21700 size, buck driver

137 posts / 0 new
Last post

Pages

Lux-Perpetua
Lux-Perpetua's picture
Online
Last seen: 5 min 4 sec ago
Joined: 03/01/2018 - 04:39
Posts: 2955
Location: between 365nm and 750nm
[Technical discussions] Sofirn SP35 - SST40, 21700 size, buck driver

Hello everyone,

Sofirn is recently launching more and more new products. Some of you may have already noticed a new SP35 flashlight (among others). Actually, it is not listed anymore right now but it will be back soon again. Smile

https://sofirn.aliexpress.com/store/new-arrivals/2933049.html

Some first specs Barry was so kind to share with me:

  • 21700 battery format
  • compatible with 2x CR123A
  • Luminus SST40 5.000K / 6.000K
  • constant current buck driver
  • USB-C rechargeable
  • e-switch side switch
  • Sofirn's proprietary UI as used in SP33 V3
  • improved ATR technology

Here's a first runtime graph courtesy by Sofirn which shows a nice constant regulation of SP35 at 550lm. SOP is headed for end of November 2020.

 

 

 

Edited by: Lux-Perpetua on 12/23/2020 - 06:25
Di_Joker
Di_Joker's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 17 min ago
Joined: 02/21/2018 - 08:07
Posts: 366
Location: RU

The version with XHP50 emitter would be interesting))

Sorry for my poor english.

TexasToasted
TexasToasted's picture
Offline
Last seen: 13 hours 59 min ago
Joined: 10/25/2012 - 08:48
Posts: 1216
Location: Texas Gulf Coast

I’d love to see Sofirn update the old SP35.

31337hacker
31337hacker's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 1 week ago
Joined: 11/01/2020 - 15:56
Posts: 15
Location: Toronto

I came across this: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001640015568.html

Any updates? There’s no option for CCT. I want it in 5000K (SST-40). It’s exactly the kind of outdoor light I’ve been looking for.

EDIT: According to Sofirn on AliExpress, it’s 5000K. I put in 1 order and I’ll add a comment about my thoughts.

EDIT 2: About 29 hours remaining and the order still hasn’t been fulfilled. I’ve never had an order from Sofirn take longer than 2 days to get shipped out. I’m starting to wonder if they’ve even made any to actually sell. I’m thinking about extending the processing time.

EDIT 3: Just shipped out.

Serlite
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 39 min ago
Joined: 11/01/2018 - 16:14
Posts: 436

31337hacker wrote:
I came across this: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001640015568.html

Any updates? There’s no option for CCT. I want it in 5000K (SST-40). It’s exactly the kind of outdoor light I’ve been looking for.

EDIT: According to Sofirn on AliExpress, it’s 5000K. I put in 1 order and I’ll add a comment about my thoughts.

EDIT 2: About 29 hours remaining and the order still hasn’t been fulfilled. I’ve never had an order from Sofirn take longer than 2 days to get shipped out. I’m starting to wonder if they’ve even made any to actually sell. I’m thinking about extending the processing time.

That’s troubling – have you tried sending them a message about it?
The listing doesn’t exactly inspire confidence (only a single rendered image) – so it’s possible they rushed out the listing with insufficient stock.

31337hacker
31337hacker's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 1 week ago
Joined: 11/01/2020 - 15:56
Posts: 15
Location: Toronto

Serlite wrote:
31337hacker wrote:
I came across this: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001640015568.html

Any updates? There’s no option for CCT. I want it in 5000K (SST-40). It’s exactly the kind of outdoor light I’ve been looking for.

EDIT: According to Sofirn on AliExpress, it’s 5000K. I put in 1 order and I’ll add a comment about my thoughts.

EDIT 2: About 29 hours remaining and the order still hasn’t been fulfilled. I’ve never had an order from Sofirn take longer than 2 days to get shipped out. I’m starting to wonder if they’ve even made any to actually sell. I’m thinking about extending the processing time.

That’s troubling – have you tried sending them a message about it?
The listing doesn’t exactly inspire confidence (only a single rendered image) – so it’s possible they rushed out the listing with insufficient stock.

I waited and just got the shipping notification. It seems like it’s the real deal.

Funtastic
Funtastic's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 58 min ago
Joined: 06/26/2014 - 02:14
Posts: 1667
Location: New Zealand

I’m getting sent one for review with my latest bulk order. It was listed on AliExpress before it was released, approx 2 weeks beforehand, not entirely sure why they do that, maybe for 11.11 sale.

Texas Ace Lumen Tube calibrated with maukka lights

New Zealand store – https://www.piercingthedarkness.co.nz (NZ customers only)

YouTube channel – https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIUWi2vYp4CWrRkOJM70t_w/videos (Demos for my customers, and reviews)

Funtastic
Funtastic's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 58 min ago
Joined: 06/26/2014 - 02:14
Posts: 1667
Location: New Zealand

TexasToasted wrote:
I’d love to see Sofirn update the old SP35.

!https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-ZH6SPT7/0/966dfcc1/M/i-ZH6SPT7-M.jpg!

Had a terrible issue with a floating shelf, unless you mean the SF11 which uses 4x AA’s

Texas Ace Lumen Tube calibrated with maukka lights

New Zealand store – https://www.piercingthedarkness.co.nz (NZ customers only)

YouTube channel – https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIUWi2vYp4CWrRkOJM70t_w/videos (Demos for my customers, and reviews)

Serlite
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 39 min ago
Joined: 11/01/2018 - 16:14
Posts: 436

31337hacker wrote:
Serlite wrote:
31337hacker wrote:
I came across this: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005001640015568.html

Any updates? There’s no option for CCT. I want it in 5000K (SST-40). It’s exactly the kind of outdoor light I’ve been looking for.

EDIT: According to Sofirn on AliExpress, it’s 5000K. I put in 1 order and I’ll add a comment about my thoughts.

EDIT 2: About 29 hours remaining and the order still hasn’t been fulfilled. I’ve never had an order from Sofirn take longer than 2 days to get shipped out. I’m starting to wonder if they’ve even made any to actually sell. I’m thinking about extending the processing time.

That’s troubling – have you tried sending them a message about it?
The listing doesn’t exactly inspire confidence (only a single rendered image) – so it’s possible they rushed out the listing with insufficient stock.

I waited and just got the shipping notification. It seems like it’s the real deal.

Fingers crossed you get the light without any further delays!
It’s nice to see Sofirn put out another light with regulation. These days their newer revisions seem to have largely FET drivers…

TheIntruder
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 5 days ago
Joined: 03/09/2018 - 02:11
Posts: 257
Serlite][quote=31337hacker][quote=Serlite wrote:
It’s nice to see Sofirn put out another light with regulation. These days their newer revisions seem to have largely FET drivers…

Ditto. I was prepared to order another SP32, but will wait to see how this turns out. Hopefully, it will have a beam that is somewhat balanced, and isn’t too throwy.

31337hacker
31337hacker's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 1 week ago
Joined: 11/01/2020 - 15:56
Posts: 15
Location: Toronto
Serlite wrote:
Fingers crossed you get the light without any further delays! It’s nice to see Sofirn put out another light with regulation. These days their newer revisions seem to have largely FET drivers…

I won’t be in the clear until the tracking gets updated. Sometimes, sellers accept an order with a placeholder tracking number that’s later replaced once the item is actually shipped out. I don’t know if Sofirn is doing that now but if it happens, then I won’t be surprised. I would’ve extended the processing time anyway.

Also, I’m not worried about quality. I’ve used multiple Sofirn lights and I’m happy with the build quality.

TheIntruder wrote:
Ditto. I was prepared to order another SP32, but will wait to see how this turns out. Hopefully, it will have a beam that is somewhat balanced, and isn’t too throwy.

That’s what I’m hoping for too. It’s using a domed LED and a decently sized reflector. The “200-500 m” lighting distance figure makes me wonder about the type of reflector used. Will it be smooth or orange peel just like the SP33V3? I’d be fine with either one and if I had to take a guess, I’d go with orange peel. Sofirn seems to love that for their bigger lights.

EDIT: “Shipment cancelled”. I guess it’s not ready yet.

TheIntruder
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 5 days ago
Joined: 03/09/2018 - 02:11
Posts: 257
31337hacker wrote:
That’s what I’m hoping for too. It’s using a domed LED and a decently sized reflector. The “200-500 m” lighting distance figure makes me wonder about the type of reflector used. Will it be smooth or orange peel just like the SP33V3? I’d be fine with either one and if I had to take a guess, I’d go with orange peel. Sofirn seems to love that for their bigger lights.

I’m not going to get my hopes up. Upon further thought, it looks like the SP35 will basically be a 21700 version of the SP31, without the tail switch. The head and tail cap designs mostly resemble the SP31, suggesting that is the evolutionary path is follows, not that of the SP32A.

That doesn’t preclude it from being better balanced, but we’ll see.

drewski
Offline
Last seen: 13 hours 16 min ago
Joined: 07/09/2019 - 08:46
Posts: 119
Location: US

I wonder if that pocket clip will fit the IF25 body.

Funtastic
Funtastic's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 58 min ago
Joined: 06/26/2014 - 02:14
Posts: 1667
Location: New Zealand
drewski wrote:
I wonder if that pocket clip will fit the IF25 body.

The Wurkkos HD20 clip fits the IF25/IF25A body but gives a tiny surface scratch putting it on, no real issue though. Sofirn can sell it if you ask them

Texas Ace Lumen Tube calibrated with maukka lights

New Zealand store – https://www.piercingthedarkness.co.nz (NZ customers only)

YouTube channel – https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIUWi2vYp4CWrRkOJM70t_w/videos (Demos for my customers, and reviews)

Funtastic
Funtastic's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 58 min ago
Joined: 06/26/2014 - 02:14
Posts: 1667
Location: New Zealand

Those of you who have ordered an SP35 and have been sent tracking numbers, I highly doubt it’s been shipped. As a dealer for Sofirn I was being sent an SP35 for review, but have been told they have an assembly issue, so the units aren’t yet ready.

I really wish Sofirn would list on AliExpress etc with a Pre-Sale notice, not saying they’re in stock.

Texas Ace Lumen Tube calibrated with maukka lights

New Zealand store – https://www.piercingthedarkness.co.nz (NZ customers only)

YouTube channel – https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIUWi2vYp4CWrRkOJM70t_w/videos (Demos for my customers, and reviews)

31337hacker
31337hacker's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 1 week ago
Joined: 11/01/2020 - 15:56
Posts: 15
Location: Toronto

Funtastic wrote:
Those of you who have ordered an SP35 and have been sent tracking numbers, I highly doubt it’s been shipped. As a dealer for Sofirn I was being sent an SP35 for review, but have been told they have an assembly issue, so the units aren’t yet ready.

I really wish Sofirn would list on AliExpress etc with a Pre-Sale notice, not saying they’re in stock.

That’s what happened to me. It says “Shipment cancelled.” I can’t say I’m surprised because it’s a very common tactic. They’d rather secure a sale and have the customer wait than list it when it’s actually ready. I’m gonna give Sofirn 2 months from the order date to have it delivered to me. If it takes longer than that, then I’ll never buy a light from them again.

Funtastic
Funtastic's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 58 min ago
Joined: 06/26/2014 - 02:14
Posts: 1667
Location: New Zealand

31337hacker wrote:
Funtastic wrote:
Those of you who have ordered an SP35 and have been sent tracking numbers, I highly doubt it’s been shipped. As a dealer for Sofirn I was being sent an SP35 for review, but have been told they have an assembly issue, so the units aren’t yet ready.

I really wish Sofirn would list on AliExpress etc with a Pre-Sale notice, not saying they’re in stock.

That’s what happened to me. It says “Shipment cancelled.” I can’t say I’m surprised because it’s a very common tactic. They’d rather secure a sale and have the customer wait than list it when it’s actually ready. I’m gonna give Sofirn 2 months from the order date to have it delivered to me. If it takes longer than that, then I’ll never buy a light from them again.

That’s a bit harsh. Just don’t buy a model that’s brand spanking new with only a computer generated image

Texas Ace Lumen Tube calibrated with maukka lights

New Zealand store – https://www.piercingthedarkness.co.nz (NZ customers only)

YouTube channel – https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIUWi2vYp4CWrRkOJM70t_w/videos (Demos for my customers, and reviews)

gchart
gchart's picture
Offline
Last seen: 31 min 22 sec ago
Joined: 03/19/2016 - 11:57
Posts: 2986
Location: Central IL

Really glad to see “improved ATR technology” listed, as that’s been a weak point in recent memory.

Overall, I like a lot of what I see here! I think it’d be great if the sustained output was a bit higher. And I’m sure it’s too late in the game for a change like this, but I much prefer the silicone-button side switches with the switch mounted on a separate board and held in with a retaining ring. I know Sofirn likes their T-shaped driver boards with mounted switches though.

Funtastic
Funtastic's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 58 min ago
Joined: 06/26/2014 - 02:14
Posts: 1667
Location: New Zealand
gchart wrote:
Overall, I like a lot of what I see here! I think it’d be great if the sustained output was a bit higher. And I’m sure it’s too late in the game for a change like this, but I much prefer the silicone-button side switches with the switch mounted on a separate board and held in with a retaining ring. I know Sofirn likes their T-shaped driver boards with mounted switches though.

I don’t like the T-shaped driver either, the SP40 is an odd design. The driver extends up and is soldered directly onto the switch board. I would expect it to be a lot less durable.

Texas Ace Lumen Tube calibrated with maukka lights

New Zealand store – https://www.piercingthedarkness.co.nz (NZ customers only)

YouTube channel – https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIUWi2vYp4CWrRkOJM70t_w/videos (Demos for my customers, and reviews)

Muto
Offline
Last seen: 58 min 58 sec ago
Joined: 09/04/2012 - 16:42
Posts: 2592
Location: Southeast, PA

Looks like it is available;
https://sofirnlight.com/sofirn-sp35-21700-usb-rechargeable-flashlight-su...

No mention of tint, expecting CW
Also does not list which battery comes in kit 4000 or 4800.

Anyone have more news?

The difference between Hoarding and Collecting is the illusion of Organization
.

“History doesn’t repeat itself, but it sometimes rhymes,” Mark Twain

After the Apocalypse there will be only 2 things left alive, Cockroaches and Keith Richards

Serlite
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 39 min ago
Joined: 11/01/2018 - 16:14
Posts: 436

Finally, some real-life photos of the light! It looks like a cross between an SP31 and an SP33, without any shiny accents.
Since their manual states they tested with the 4000 mAh battery, that’s probably what they included…but it’d be nice to be sure.

31337hacker
31337hacker's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 1 week ago
Joined: 11/01/2020 - 15:56
Posts: 15
Location: Toronto

Muto wrote:
Looks like it is available;
https://sofirnlight.com/sofirn-sp35-21700-usb-rechargeable-flashlight-su...

No mention of tint, expecting CW
Also does not list which battery comes in kit 4000 or 4800.

Anyone have more news?

I contacted Sofirn on AliExpress last month and they mentioned 5000K. As for the battery, the photos show 4000 mAh. My mid-November order on AE finally shipped out yesterday.

Funtastic
Funtastic's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 58 min ago
Joined: 06/26/2014 - 02:14
Posts: 1667
Location: New Zealand

31337hacker wrote:
Muto wrote:
Looks like it is available;
https://sofirnlight.com/sofirn-sp35-21700-usb-rechargeable-flashlight-su...

No mention of tint, expecting CW
Also does not list which battery comes in kit 4000 or 4800.

Anyone have more news?

I contacted Sofirn on AliExpress last month and they mentioned 5000K. As for the battery, the photos show 4000 mAh. My mid-November order on AE finally shipped out yesterday.

Mine also shipped out 3 days ago on Express.

Highly doubt it’s 5000K with a 2000 lumen rating, but we will see

Texas Ace Lumen Tube calibrated with maukka lights

New Zealand store – https://www.piercingthedarkness.co.nz (NZ customers only)

YouTube channel – https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIUWi2vYp4CWrRkOJM70t_w/videos (Demos for my customers, and reviews)

pennzy
pennzy's picture
Offline
Last seen: 44 min 25 sec ago
Joined: 12/10/2017 - 19:45
Posts: 3173
Location: United States , Pa.

Wonder why no hoopla about the roll out of a new light with this one?

31337hacker
31337hacker's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 1 week ago
Joined: 11/01/2020 - 15:56
Posts: 15
Location: Toronto

Funtastic wrote:

Mine also shipped out 3 days ago on Express.

Highly doubt it’s 5000K with a 2000 lumen rating, but we will see

The SC31 Pro is also 2000 lumens and 5000K: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001316732888.html

Unless it’s actually below 2000 lumens with that figure only applying to the 6500K version.

Funtastic
Funtastic's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 58 min ago
Joined: 06/26/2014 - 02:14
Posts: 1667
Location: New Zealand

31337hacker wrote:
Funtastic wrote:

Mine also shipped out 3 days ago on Express.

Highly doubt it’s 5000K with a 2000 lumen rating, but we will see

The SC31 Pro is also 2000 lumens and 5000K: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001316732888.html

Unless it’s actually below 2000 lumens with that figure only applying to the 6500K version.

Yeah, only applies to the 6500K. Most brands won’t correct the lumen value for their tint selection.

Leds are actually blue and so there’s a layer of phosphor to help block out the blue, the warmer the tint, the thicker the layer which also lowers the lumens

Texas Ace Lumen Tube calibrated with maukka lights

New Zealand store – https://www.piercingthedarkness.co.nz (NZ customers only)

YouTube channel – https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIUWi2vYp4CWrRkOJM70t_w/videos (Demos for my customers, and reviews)

TheIntruder
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 5 days ago
Joined: 03/09/2018 - 02:11
Posts: 257
31337hacker][quote=Muto wrote:
Looks like it is available; As for the battery, the photos show 4000 mAh. My mid-November order on AE finally shipped out yesterday.

Funny thing is, those pictures show a 4000 mAh 18650. Is there a legitimate 18650 with that capacity?

I do suspect that it will actually ship with a 4000 mAh 21700.

Would be nice to also include an adapter tube, like the the Sofirn-made Astrolux EC lights come bundled with, but no mention of one so it doesn’t appear likely.

Funtastic
Funtastic's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 58 min ago
Joined: 06/26/2014 - 02:14
Posts: 1667
Location: New Zealand
TheIntruder][quote=31337hacker wrote:
Muto wrote:
Looks like it is available; As for the battery, the photos show 4000 mAh. My mid-November order on AE finally shipped out yesterday.

Funny thing is, those pictures show a 4000 mAh 18650. Is there a legitimate 18650 with that capacity?

I do suspect that it will actually ship with a 4000 mAh 21700.

Would be nice to also include an adapter tube, like the the Sofirn-made Astrolux EC lights come bundled with, but no mention of one so it doesn’t appear likely.

Most likely a computerized label and without thinking put 18650.

Max capacity is 3600 for the 18650 size

Texas Ace Lumen Tube calibrated with maukka lights

New Zealand store – https://www.piercingthedarkness.co.nz (NZ customers only)

YouTube channel – https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIUWi2vYp4CWrRkOJM70t_w/videos (Demos for my customers, and reviews)

31337hacker
31337hacker's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 1 week ago
Joined: 11/01/2020 - 15:56
Posts: 15
Location: Toronto

Funtastic wrote:
31337hacker wrote:
Funtastic wrote:

Mine also shipped out 3 days ago on Express.

Highly doubt it’s 5000K with a 2000 lumen rating, but we will see

The SC31 Pro is also 2000 lumens and 5000K: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001316732888.html

Unless it’s actually below 2000 lumens with that figure only applying to the 6500K version.

Yeah, only applies to the 6500K. Most brands won’t correct the lumen value for their tint selection.

Leds are actually blue and so there’s a layer of phosphor to help block out the blue, the warmer the tint, the thicker the layer which also lowers the lumens

Gotcha.

TheIntruder
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 5 days ago
Joined: 03/09/2018 - 02:11
Posts: 257

The first video has landed:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9K4OkFs9Qk

Looks pretty good.

Hope somebody eventually tests how well the regulation works.

zoulas
zoulas's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 45 min ago
Joined: 06/01/2020 - 08:35
Posts: 982

Pages