- The Fake-Cree LED Awareness Thread - The new "low" in Budget lights.

1015 posts / 0 new
Last post
djozz
djozz's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 26 min ago
Joined: 09/07/2012 - 17:04
Posts: 18001
Location: Amsterdam

Looks like an attractive flashlight actually, the simple off-low-high user interface sounds great. Led looks convincing and for a 38 dollar flashlight also not unlikely, but you never know.

albertinho82
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 4 months ago
Joined: 06/13/2020 - 04:13
Posts: 3
Location: Spain

My doubts are on the holes position. In the original CREE XHP70.2 datasheet, holes are reversed. Seller told me there are minimal differences between bin codes.


djozz
djozz's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 26 min ago
Joined: 09/07/2012 - 17:04
Posts: 18001
Location: Amsterdam

But the – and + are correctly connected, it could simply be a horizontally flipped photograph, happens a lot on websites.

albertinho82
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 4 months ago
Joined: 06/13/2020 - 04:13
Posts: 3
Location: Spain

djozz wrote:
But the – and + are correctly connected, it could simply be a horizontally flipped photograph, happens a lot on websites.

Photo is mine. LED is showed same as real.
kwcha333
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 2 months ago
Joined: 07/28/2020 - 11:18
Posts: 6

thank you for your sharing

d_t_a
Offline
Last seen: 13 hours 43 min ago
Joined: 08/04/2017 - 23:58
Posts: 2557
Location: Manila, Philippines

Not exactly a “fake” Cree because it was never mentioned as “Cree” LED..

The Sofirn SF34-11T comes with 11 of these LEDs, which the description says are “XK” LEDs.
Any idea what they might be?
(pardon my not-too-clear pictures, my camera is not good at macro shots)

rngwn
rngwn's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 days 22 hours ago
Joined: 05/17/2018 - 03:44
Posts: 437
Location: 暖武里,Таиланд

d_t_a wrote:
Not exactly a “fake” Cree because it was never mentioned as “Cree” LED..

The Sofirn SF34-11T comes with 11 of these LEDs, which the description says are “XK” LEDs.
Any idea what they might be?
(pardon my not-too-clear pictures, my camera is not good at macro shots)

!https://i.imgur.com/JUmWjWQ.jpg!

This one is obviously a LatticeBright. Most likely XK-6W model (hence the “XK” probably means the XK-series). It’s more or less XP-G (with probably worse implementation) in XM-L footprint.

Robin Dobbie
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 48 min ago
Joined: 04/30/2019 - 12:49
Posts: 1145
Location: Texas

This is in an SK-98 clone I got for 50 cents on ebay. Normally 3.50, but they had a coupon a year or so ago. PCB says GK which I guess is legit, they just make the boards I think. But the die is small I guess and the wire landings are square. And it’s 7500K because of course it is. I think the price was fair! lol It is quite bright though.

d_t_a
Offline
Last seen: 13 hours 43 min ago
Joined: 08/04/2017 - 23:58
Posts: 2557
Location: Manila, Philippines

Someone sent me of the LED in a cheap flashlight he got, asked me what may be the specs.

It doesn’t look like any of the better brand LEDs, so it has to be a clone. Any idea what clone this could be?

ledoman
Offline
Last seen: 13 hours 48 min ago
Joined: 09/25/2010 - 06:27
Posts: 937
Location: Slovenia (EU)

Another unknown (for me at least) copy of XM-L2. Note sign LMP in left bottom corner. I’ve got one picture from friend and make another myself found in cheapo tripple led bicycle light. Has anyone seen that before?


marchetti87
Offline
Last seen: 8 months 3 days ago
Joined: 10/17/2020 - 16:05
Posts: 2

Hello.

This is a flashlight from a famous brand here in Brazil and is sold at high cost as having a “T6 LED for professional use”, as written on the packaging. Seems to be fake?

This is another flashlight also sold in Brazil, but it is much cheaper and the packaging is listed as “CREE – T6”. Fake or not?

Both illuminate almost the same thing, with that typical square in focus, with the difference that in the most expensive flashlight the focus is clearer, brighter and with less color aberrations. Any difference in the lens, perhaps? Thank you

RobertB
RobertB's picture
Offline
Last seen: 19 hours 34 min ago
Joined: 12/18/2015 - 17:49
Posts: 3727
Location: USA, Michigan

marchetti87 wrote:
Hello.

This is a flashlight from a famous brand here in Brazil and is sold at high cost as having a “T6 LED for professional use”, as written on the packaging. Seems to be fake?

This is another flashlight also sold in Brazil, but it is much cheaper and the packaging is listed as “CREE – T6”. Fake or not?

Both illuminate almost the same thing, with that typical square in focus, with the difference that in the most expensive flashlight the focus is clearer, brighter and with less color aberrations. Any difference in the lens, perhaps? Thank you

Both those look like authentic Cree XML’s. However, the XML’s are outdated and cheap

snakebite
snakebite's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 6 days ago
Joined: 11/20/2013 - 20:21
Posts: 2057
Location: dayton oh

none of the above are genuine cree parts.

RobertB wrote:
marchetti87 wrote:
Hello.

This is a flashlight from a famous brand here in Brazil and is sold at high cost as having a “T6 LED for professional use”, as written on the packaging. Seems to be fake?

This is another flashlight also sold in Brazil, but it is much cheaper and the packaging is listed as “CREE – T6”. Fake or not?

Both illuminate almost the same thing, with that typical square in focus, with the difference that in the most expensive flashlight the focus is clearer, brighter and with less color aberrations. Any difference in the lens, perhaps? Thank you

Both those look like authentic Cree XML’s. However, the XML’s are outdated and cheap

marchetti87
Offline
Last seen: 8 months 3 days ago
Joined: 10/17/2020 - 16:05
Posts: 2

Good to know, thank you. It seems that almost all of these OEM chinese flashlights are coming with these fake LEDs, or is it a lottery?

RobertB
RobertB's picture
Offline
Last seen: 19 hours 34 min ago
Joined: 12/18/2015 - 17:49
Posts: 3727
Location: USA, Michigan

snakebite wrote:
none of the above are genuine cree parts

They look identical to the authentic xml’s in the pictures of the very first post of this thread

ggf31416
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 1 day ago
Joined: 02/25/2016 - 17:38
Posts: 703
Location: Uruguay

marchetti87 wrote:
Hello.

This is a flashlight from a famous brand here in Brazil and is sold at high cost as having a “T6 LED for professional use”, as written on the packaging. Seems to be fake?

This is another flashlight also sold in Brazil, but it is much cheaper and the packaging is listed as “CREE – T6”. Fake or not?

Both illuminate almost the same thing, with that typical square in focus, with the difference that in the most expensive flashlight the focus is clearer, brighter and with less color aberrations. Any difference in the lens, perhaps? Thank you

Going just from the first post pictures, the first one looks like a Latticebright, the second looks to me more like a XM-L, but why somebody would use a XM-L in 2020? Being listed as T6 is very suspicious by itself, an indicator that it’s actually fake.

At this point XM-L belongs to a museum, I see some for sale in KD so maybe CREE still makes them, but they are quite old.

If you prefer zoomies and you can buy from overseas you are better off buying a Wowtac A3S or a Convoy Z1.

snakebite
snakebite's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 6 days ago
Joined: 11/20/2013 - 20:21
Posts: 2057
Location: dayton oh

None from 999 up are genuine.
A real xm series cree has a larger die

Hikelite
Offline
Last seen: 7 months 6 days ago
Joined: 07/13/2011 - 16:18
Posts: 3888
Location: Honeyland
albertinho82 wrote:
djozz wrote:
But the – and + are correctly connected, it could simply be a horizontally flipped photograph, happens a lot on websites.
Photo is mine. LED is showed same as real.

The Cathode sign is a Square, the Anode sign is a Circle.
This is what your photo shows also, there is no reverse of the signs.

Twin8
Twin8's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 16 min ago
Joined: 12/07/2020 - 22:45
Posts: 50
Location: California, USA

Are any large/well known companies using these fake LEDs? Olight, Sofirn, Wurkkos, etc. Or is it only budget lights? Or just budget aftermarket emitters? Sorry, I don’t have much technical knowledge.

Yokiamy
Yokiamy's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 12 min ago
Joined: 10/18/2016 - 15:47
Posts: 3044
Location: Netherlands

I just got This seeknite SK3 from BG

It is advertised as a 6500k xml2 led, however it looks more like a XPG2, or even a counterfeit one.

Any thoughts?

Bwana
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 39 min ago
Joined: 02/27/2020 - 06:57
Posts: 456
Location: NEW JERSEY

If you pay for them with counterfeit money , does that balance things out ? Sort of like being Cross-eyed and Dyslexic at the same time.

Lightbringer
Lightbringer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 13 min ago
Joined: 08/30/2016 - 14:12
Posts: 15737
Location: nyc

Wellp, if it’s 3.5mm on a side, it’s an XP package, 5.0mm on a side, an XM package.

Just by the looks of the chip, yeah, it looks XP-G2ish.

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Yokiamy
Yokiamy's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 12 min ago
Joined: 10/18/2016 - 15:47
Posts: 3044
Location: Netherlands
Bwana wrote:
If you pay for them with counterfeit money , does that balance things out ? Sort of like being Cross-eyed and Dyslexic at the same time.

I wish i was able to sometimes Big Smile

Maschinendreher
Offline
Last seen: 6 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 08/05/2019 - 07:19
Posts: 15
Location: DE

Is this a real Cree XHP50.2 3V ?


https://ibb.co/album/YbHDrc

bought from aliexpress.com/item/4000273314849.html

It just drains 2,8A from a fresh 18650 but ist very bright

Pages