How long do you sleep per night

86 posts / 0 new
Last post

Pages

forsh
forsh's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 2 weeks ago
Joined: 01/15/2020 - 05:31
Posts: 613
Location: finland
How long do you sleep per night
2-3 hours
0% (0 votes)
3-4 hours
0% (0 votes)
4-5 hours
50% (2 votes)
5-6 hours
0% (0 votes)
6-7 hours
25% (1 vote)
7-8 hours
0% (0 votes)
8-9 hours
0% (0 votes)
9-10 hours
25% (1 vote)
10-11 hours
0% (0 votes)
11-12 hours
0% (0 votes)
Total votes: 4

https://www.facebook.com/groups/163189738353433/?ref=share
Join my Facebook FW3/4/1 selling and buying group guys

Edited by: forsh on 01/16/2021 - 01:15
forsh
forsh's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 2 weeks ago
Joined: 01/15/2020 - 05:31
Posts: 613
Location: finland

edit//POLL CLOSED FOR NOW

What’s your normal amount of sleep you guys/gals get per night

I’m asking this because I get about 4-5 hours sleep every night and feel and look like I need more

I’ve been like this since a kid and now I’m over 40

I tried taking melotin but it just made me horrible the day after , kinda the feeling the day after 10 pints of dizzy water

I don’t want to take any meds really but I want more sleep
I don’t want to waste the time of the doctor and tell him I need more sleep as it’s not a massive problem

https://www.facebook.com/groups/163189738353433/?ref=share
Join my Facebook FW3/4/1 selling and buying group guys

Souichirou
Souichirou's picture
Offline
Last seen: 12 hours 19 min ago
Joined: 04/05/2019 - 21:32
Posts: 646

forsh wrote:
What’s your normal amount of sleep you guys/gals get per night

I’m asking this because I get about 4-5 hours sleep every night and feel and look like I need more

I’ve been like this since a kid and now I’m over 40

I tried taking melotin but it just made me horrible the day after , kinda the feeling the day after 10 pints of dizzy water

I don’t want to take any meds really but I want more sleep
I don’t want to waste the time of the doctor and tell him I need more sleep as it’s not a massive problem

Depends, When I worked essential services I was pretty much on-call even on days off with shift work that was between 12-16 hours it would be anywhere around 3-4 hours.

Also might want to disable poll for now since there was already an issue addressed before with a new poll replacing the current build competition thats being voted on.

Lux-Perpetua
Lux-Perpetua's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 24 min ago
Joined: 03/01/2018 - 04:39
Posts: 2889
Location: at the end of the light beam

For quite some time now, I can only sleep for less than 6 hours per night. Mostly, it’s around 4-5 hours only. There’s an infrasonic source at approx. 65-70Hz somewhere nearby the house that makes a horrible buzzing noise in a random frequency pattern. It can be heard anywhere around the place. There’s no way to find it nor can I take any countermeasures to wipe out the signal with other frequencies. I tried white noise or other sound patterns to keep my ears distracted but such a low frequency can even be heard through earplugs.

forsh
forsh's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 2 weeks ago
Joined: 01/15/2020 - 05:31
Posts: 613
Location: finland

Souichirou wrote:
forsh wrote:
What’s your normal amount of sleep you guys/gals get per night

I’m asking this because I get about 4-5 hours sleep every night and feel and look like I need more

I’ve been like this since a kid and now I’m over 40

I tried taking melotin but it just made me horrible the day after , kinda the feeling the day after 10 pints of dizzy water

I don’t want to take any meds really but I want more sleep
I don’t want to waste the time of the doctor and tell him I need more sleep as it’s not a massive problem

Depends, When I worked essential services I was pretty much on-call even on days off with shift work that was between 12-16 hours it would be anywhere around 3-4 hours.

Also might want to disable poll for now since there was already an issue addressed before with a new poll replacing the current build competition thats being voted on.

i made the poll for 2 days.. or should i just delete the poll and people can comment?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/163189738353433/?ref=share
Join my Facebook FW3/4/1 selling and buying group guys

Souichirou
Souichirou's picture
Offline
Last seen: 12 hours 19 min ago
Joined: 04/05/2019 - 21:32
Posts: 646
forsh wrote:
i made the poll for 2 days.. or should i just delete the poll and people can comment?

Personally I would disable the poll for now and have people comment at least until the build competition voting is concluded.

Yokiamy
Yokiamy's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 35 min ago
Joined: 10/18/2016 - 15:47
Posts: 2879
Location: Netherlands

I need 8 hours, but i do sacrifice hours because days are too short

Marc E
Offline
Last seen: 3 days 23 hours ago
Joined: 05/18/2013 - 08:14
Posts: 508
Location: South West UK

I mostly sleep 14-18 hours a day thanks to having ME and i also feel and look like i need more. Big Smile
Sleep is a very complicated thing with time spent asleep being only one factor, the fact that melatonin (which is what i assume you meant) just makes you feel worse without helping you sleep more indicates to me that you’re waking up for a reason other than a lack of melatonin, and having to overcome the extra sleepiness caused by the supplement is making you feel worse. There are other explanations of course Smile

Have you tried napping for the extra sleep? You don’t need to get all 8 hours in one go, which in itself is a generic guide to how much sleep you need and may not actually apply to you.

There’s also the option that you’re getting enough sleep but lacking the ability to wake up properly.

Lightbringer
Lightbringer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 50 min ago
Joined: 08/30/2016 - 14:12
Posts: 14048
Location: nyc

Melatonin puts you under. Niacin keeps you under.

Normally, I go to sleep as soon as my head hits the pillow, sometimes before. I keep things dark, not even a digital clock shining at me. And quiet. Only if the cats make a ruckus do I wake up before my time. And regularity. Right after “Cannon”, or lately “Barnaby Jones”, teevee off, unconscious 30 sec after.

Dark, quiet, regular. Only way to get decent sleep.

Failing that, melatonin in the smallest dose that does the trick. Wanna save? Buy the max, and divvy up the pills in halves, quarters, or even less. For me, it starts kicking in at about the 20min mark. That’s when Mr Sandman pops over. Miss that, and forget it. Do not try to stay up even 5min to finish reading something or watch something, nothing. Force yourself to stay awake after the mood hits, and then even a second dose won’t work. You’ll just end up fuzzy-brained all the next day. After popping it, lie down and make like you’re going to sleep immediately. Ie, use it or lose it.

So, small dose, be ready to drop off immediately, then do it.

If you still wake up later on, or don’t get a restful sleep, load up on NicOH. 500mg is good. 1000mg gives a nice warm “niacin flush”. LOL Avoid too much for too long to not overstress your liver.

I go for straight NicOH, the good stuff, not the “time-release” stuff (niacinamide, etc.). You can try various forms, see what works best for you.

So yeah, melatonin to put you under, and NicOH to keep you under.

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

raccoon city
raccoon city's picture
Online
Last seen: 5 min 59 sec ago
Joined: 10/06/2010 - 02:35
Posts: 15527
Location: रॅकून सिटी Palm Desert CA USA

I am non-24.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Non-24-hour_sleep–wake_disorder

I sleep about 50% of the time.

If my day is about 24 hours long, and it frequently isn't, then I'm asleep 12 hours per night.

...

I take time release Melatonin and psych meds that help me sleep.

forsh
forsh's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 2 weeks ago
Joined: 01/15/2020 - 05:31
Posts: 613
Location: finland

All good info here guys @lightbringer I’ll try that

https://www.facebook.com/groups/163189738353433/?ref=share
Join my Facebook FW3/4/1 selling and buying group guys

gravelmonkey
Offline
Last seen: 11 hours 26 min ago
Joined: 08/17/2012 - 20:28
Posts: 383
Location: South West UK

7 hours for me is about perfect, 8 or longer and I feel sluggish all day. 6 and I’m a bit tired but less than 6 and I’m an asshole.

Kind of been touched on already, but sleep hygiene is very important. I don’t have caffeine after midday, else I’m screwed.

I try to go to bed and get up at the same time every day, I find that ‘awkward zone’ where it’s too late to start on something else and too early to go to bed is best spent reading (paper books- no screens!).

I hope you find something that works for you, good luck!

gravelmonkey
Offline
Last seen: 11 hours 26 min ago
Joined: 08/17/2012 - 20:28
Posts: 383
Location: South West UK
Lux-Perpetua wrote:

For quite some time now, I can only sleep for less than 6 hours per night. Mostly, it’s around 4-5 hours only. There’s an infrasonic source at approx. 65-70Hz somewhere nearby the house that makes a horrible buzzing noise in a random frequency pattern. It can be heard anywhere around the place. There’s no way to find it nor can I take any countermeasures to wipe out the signal with other frequencies. I tried white noise or other sound patterns to keep my ears distracted but such a low frequency can even be heard through earplugs.

Sounds dreadful! There was a case of infrasound pollution a few years ago down the SW of the UK, accusations were mostly made against a mine in the area, it might be worth looking into whether there is any mining activities near you?

Lightbringer
Lightbringer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 50 min ago
Joined: 08/30/2016 - 14:12
Posts: 14048
Location: nyc

It’s the Lizard People expanding their underground bases again.

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

MoreLumens
MoreLumens's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 7 min ago
Joined: 10/25/2019 - 07:08
Posts: 1324
Location: Finland

Lightbringer wrote:

Dark, quiet, regular. Only way to get decent sleep.

Failing that, melatonin in the smallest dose that does the trick. Wanna save? Buy the max, and divvy up the pills in halves, quarters, or even less. For me, it starts kicking in at about the 20min mark. That’s when Mr Sandman pops over. Miss that, and forget it. Do not try to stay up even 5min to finish reading something or watch something, nothing. Force yourself to stay awake after the mood hits, and then even a second dose won’t work. You’ll just end up fuzzy-brained all the next day. After popping it, lie down and make like you’re going to sleep immediately. Ie, use it or lose it.

So, small dose, be ready to drop off immediately, then do it.

If you still wake up later on, or don’t get a restful sleep, load up on NicOH. 500mg is good. 1000mg gives a nice warm “niacin flush”. LOL Avoid too much for too long to not overstress your liver.

I go for straight NicOH, the good stuff, not the “time-release” stuff (niacinamide, etc.). You can try various forms, see what works best for you.

So yeah, melatonin to put you under, and NicOH to keep you under.

I been thinking of trying those melatonin pills, just because my sleep schedule goes always all over the place. Still not sure how safe those are, maybe they won’t affect your normal melatonin production, but still makes me wonder. Not sure if I would need those regularly, but just sometimes to adjust my sleep time a bit. I have tendency to get sleep usually at very late like 2-3 am and waking up way too late like after 10 am and finally getting up like at 12 am. Summer time is different when I usually woke up naturally when sun comes up, but dark seasons make me wanna sleep a lot. Never been a morning person, but that will work if I get sleep early enough so does melatonin work like almost any time of the day? Pop a pill, get sleepy and fall a sleep no matter how long you slept last night?

Katherine Alicia
Katherine Alicia's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 3 weeks ago
Joined: 08/21/2020 - 17:27
Posts: 229
Location: Central UK.

Between 7 and 8 for me (I prefer 8). If I get less I feel like I`v got Flu next day and if I get more I tend to have a headache. I don`t drink alcohol, smoke, take pills or even have cafeine, I read in bed half an hour before sleep using an Incan flashlight and go to sleep quite quickly.

amtaham
amtaham's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 days 22 hours ago
Joined: 04/09/2020 - 04:17
Posts: 81
Location: Indonesia

My sleeping time is about 6-7 hours. I turn off my phone one hour before sleep. It helps a lot Smile

“Come again, please, come again, Whoever you are. Religious, infidel, heretic or pagan. Even if you promised a hundred times, And, a hundred times you broke your promise, This door is not the door of hopelessness and frustration. This door is open for everybody. Come, come as you are.” ~ Mawlana Jalaludin Rumi

Lightbringer
Lightbringer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 50 min ago
Joined: 08/30/2016 - 14:12
Posts: 14048
Location: nyc
MoreLumens wrote:
Never been a morning person, but that will work if I get sleep early enough so does melatonin work like almost any time of the day? Pop a pill, get sleepy and fall a sleep no matter how long you slept last night?

Me? Unno, never tried it for anything like that.

Won’t kill ya dead or nuttin’, so you can always try it.

But it’s not a sleeping pill, it’s not like getting slipped a mickey or anything. You have to be ready for sleep, and it’ll come if it otherwise can’t. It’s kinda Zen…

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

MoreLumens
MoreLumens's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 7 min ago
Joined: 10/25/2019 - 07:08
Posts: 1324
Location: Finland

Maybe I try. Easily at first like just trying to get sleep at 12pm with those so won’t stay wake until 2am and next night like 10pm etc. If it makes me super sleepy, (can you like double the dosage to get more sleepier?) then I can always use them when needed at evenings. Just adjusting, not daily use when getting back to the rhytm or if needed to wake up early next day, which usually means there aint going to be much sleep.

id30209
id30209's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 29 min ago
Joined: 05/17/2018 - 12:20
Posts: 1709
Location: Croatia

I’m somewhere around 5h but using 10mg of Melatonin will knock me out within 10min. After i woke up (even after 4hours due to alarm/work) i’m totally refreshed, brand new person. 
What i have found is that using EU (kids) dosage 1-3mg will only make you angry. American size pills are perfect.

WTB Titanium 4sevens 2xAA tube

MoreLumens
MoreLumens's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 7 min ago
Joined: 10/25/2019 - 07:08
Posts: 1324
Location: Finland

They call 1.9mg pills here strong. 100 of those cost a bit over 20€, but they are like mints and you just let them dissolve in mouth. There is also spray, but those mints sound tasty. Maybe starting with low dose and then popping more if needed. Results may vary like they say. Sounds like getting super powers if I dont need sleep as much as now. Under 8 hours feels like I haven’t slept at all.

WalkIntoTheLight
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 4 weeks ago
Joined: 12/05/2015 - 10:26
Posts: 2231
Location: Canada

If melatonin works for you, great! I’ve tried 2.5mg, 5mg, and 10mg melatonin… zero effect. (Maybe a slight headache with 10mg sometimes, though that might just be my imagination.)

Someone else I know, can take 5mg melatonin and be out within minutes.

I suppose it all depends what the underlying cause of insomnia is, and how your body reacts to melatonin.

Other things to try: OTC sleep drugs containing diphenhydramine, or just take Gravol (or generic), it’s the same thing and a lot cheaper. It seems to make most people drowsy. Hit & miss, IMO, but it’s worth a try. I find that if it works, it works well; if it doesn’t work, it makes the night awful.

After that, you pretty-much have to get a prescription for something stronger. There will be some prescription drugs that will work (it probably will not be the first one you try), but they come with more serious issues of dependency.

Non-drug approaches are various behavior-modification therapies. Most is common-sense, but for people without common-sense it can help a lot, and it has no down-side.

Stay away from psuedo-scientific nonsense, or “ancient Chinese” medicine. All those new-age things will do is take your money.

Finally, be aware that not everyone needs 8 hours of sleep. Some people can be perfectly fine with 6 hours or even less. If you wake up after 5 hours of sleep and feel wide awake, just get up and enjoy the extra 3 hours of free time that day!

MoreLumens
MoreLumens's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 7 min ago
Joined: 10/25/2019 - 07:08
Posts: 1324
Location: Finland

Diphenhydramine is a no no in this nanny state. Well maybe melatonin works.

Joshk
Joshk's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 days 1 min ago
Joined: 09/09/2015 - 12:12
Posts: 2697
Location: USA

I’ve struggled getting a good night sleep most of my life, and hate taking meds too. So I found a combo of things that all together, can get me a good night sleep quite often, which is a miracle.
I highly recommend trying them all for a week before you give up.
.
.
1) This was the first step for me, it will probably be the last step for you… A doctor finally ordered a sleep-study for me years ago, and we discovered I also had severe sleep apnea. It’s like snoring, except you just don’t get enough air, leading to you (unknowingly) staying partially awake all night. You would thing you would figure it out, but you don’t. My wife didn’t even notice. So they ‘prescribed’ me a CPAP. It’s a fan and mask thing that uses room air to simply push back against your breathing and keep the airways open further. It sucks to need, but is totally worth the deeper sleep.

2) Low lighting after 6pm. I now have indirect LED strip in all rooms, but a good life-hack for you is to just shut off the light in the room you are in… and instead turn on the light in the room next door. The flood of light coming through the doorway is plenty once your eyes adjust. Also after 6pm, use the settings on your PC and phone to dim the backlight very low. I go to 8% brightness.

3) All the crap you have already been told, establish a schedule and stick to it, don’t drink caffeine after 6pm, blah blah.

4) An hour before bed, lower the thermostat 2 degrees F for the night. Being warm and cozy does help me fall asleep, but it’s not worth the poor sleep I get later. This trick works because your body can regulate it’s temperature without waking your mind. It simply increases or decreases blood flow to a cool arm or leg, instead of waking your mind half-way to deal with the covers. Typically I just leave one foot exposed to cool air.

5) 30 minutes before bed I take 2 Luna pills. They are almost identical to the cheaper Sleep aid from Walmart, but for some unfortunate reason, the expensive Luna works much better, and with only 6mg of Melatonin instead of 10.

6) Honey Nut Cheerios. I don’t know why, but it really helps me sleep.

7) Relaxation breathing. At this point I am in bed, but often can tell I am not melting into the mattress properly. So I breathe deep, then slowly let it out while focusing on a muscle group to relax. Then repeat with another muscle group.

8) Never go to bed owning Bitcoin.

2A
Offline
Last seen: 27 min 18 sec ago
Joined: 05/18/2020 - 09:57
Posts: 535
Location: quarantained

about 9 hours each night during WFH

MascaratumB
MascaratumB's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 5 min ago
Joined: 10/29/2016 - 12:12
Posts: 6258
Location: Portugal

From 5h to 7h most of the days, and sometimes a little more on the weekend! When I can, I surely stay more time in the bed at least Smile

However, there were some years in which I slept less than 6 constantly…

ecotack
ecotack's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 2 weeks ago
Joined: 11/11/2016 - 06:50
Posts: 219
Location: UK, Cumbria

If I’m lucky I get 5-6 hours sleep, but usually this is broken. At worse 0 hours, even with co-codamol. I can be in pain all day and as long as I’m busy it doesn’t bother me, but as soon as I try to sleep its there.

WalkIntoTheLight
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 4 weeks ago
Joined: 12/05/2015 - 10:26
Posts: 2231
Location: Canada
MoreLumens wrote:
Diphenhydramine is a no no in this nanny state.

Seriously? It’s the most common anti-histamine there is. On the shelf of just about every store, in one brand or another. For allergies, motion-sickness, and sleep. I live in a nanny state too, but I hope it doesn’t get that bad.

Then again, there is other stuff I have to order from the US, because we can’t get it here any more. Try Ebay to see if you can get it that way.

MoreLumens
MoreLumens's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 7 min ago
Joined: 10/25/2019 - 07:08
Posts: 1324
Location: Finland
WalkIntoTheLight wrote:
MoreLumens wrote:
Diphenhydramine is a no no in this nanny state.

Seriously? It’s the most common anti-histamine there is. On the shelf of just about every store, in one brand or another. For allergies, motion-sickness, and sleep. I live in a nanny state too, but I hope it doesn’t get that bad.

Then again, there is other stuff I have to order from the US, because we can’t get it here any more. Try Ebay to see if you can get it that way.

Nope. That would be illegal, again. It was available at some point, until it was considered intoxicating or something like that if I’m right. There is a cough syrup that contains that and codeine + efedrin that can be prescribed by a doctor for a cough, I doubt that really helps, just gives a nice buzz or something. Weird country this is.

WalkIntoTheLight
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 4 weeks ago
Joined: 12/05/2015 - 10:26
Posts: 2231
Location: Canada
MoreLumens wrote:
WalkIntoTheLight wrote:
Try Ebay to see if you can get it that way.

Nope. That would be illegal, again.

Well, it’s only illegal if you’re caught. Wink

People must be pretty desperate if they’re using Gravol to get high.

MoreLumens
MoreLumens's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 7 min ago
Joined: 10/25/2019 - 07:08
Posts: 1324
Location: Finland

I think it is mainly not OTC drug because it can affect your driving or something like that. Also they say that in the 70’s people were getting high using pills that contained that + caffeine, but that can be just our regular drug propaganda scare story myth etc, but kids these days keep drinking energy drinks to get buzz so it’s hard to say for sure.

I know that my sleep pattern will get better and as good as it was some years ago, just going through a bit of rough patch in life. Testing that melatonin first and if that ain’t helping, then we see what the doctor gives. Probably some warm milk with biscuits. Big Smile

Pages