help me choose a keychain light > Jetbeam mini one se VS tiki Gitd VS astrolux K2

30 posts / 0 new
Last post
easyshades
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 1 week ago
Joined: 06/09/2021 - 06:00
Posts: 96
Location: Australia
help me choose a keychain light > Jetbeam mini one se VS tiki Gitd VS astrolux K2

my budget is under 25 usd delivered

1. Jetbeam MINI ONE se
2. NITECORE TIKI GITD
3. Astrolux K2

best overall, which one and why?

UPDATE: new contender sofirn SC01 (keychain Light) $17.54 usd from aliexpress.
seems like a nice contender, its a ‘screw in to turn on’ light so no accidental presses in pocket. it is full metal construction so its tougher than the other 3. its tiny. and at 300 lumens it has 28 min (advertised) battery life? id expect 20 min. i do miss the UV light but i really dont care much about the other functions of the other 3 lights. so now its a toss up between the sofirn sc01 vs the jetbeam

Edited by: easyshades on 06/24/2021 - 07:26
derfyled
derfyled's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 days 1 hour ago
Joined: 04/16/2013 - 07:51
Posts: 283
Location: Canada

Personally, I would go with Rovyvon since they are the original maker of this keychain light style. They have a great deal on the A8 right now and you are not encouraging copycats. Best part of the A8: Nichia 219C, 4500k, 90 CRI.

easyshades
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 1 week ago
Joined: 06/09/2021 - 06:00
Posts: 96
Location: Australia
derfyled wrote:
Personally, I would go with Rovyvon since they are the original maker of this keychain light style. They have a great deal on the A8 right now and you are not encouraging copycats. Best part of the A8: Nichia 219C, 4500k, 90 CRI.

ive noticed its way more expensive than the above 3, would you say it has a better build quality? if a copy is done right i dont see an issue with it. link to deal?

derfyled
derfyled's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 days 1 hour ago
Joined: 04/16/2013 - 07:51
Posts: 283
Location: Canada

Never tried the 3 you mentioned but I own an A5 and it has been riding on my keys for more than a year without any issues.

https://www.rovyvon.com/collections/mid-year-deal-50-off/products/a8

BTW, act fast if you want it, it’s the last day for this 50% deal

easyshades
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 1 week ago
Joined: 06/09/2021 - 06:00
Posts: 96
Location: Australia

derfyled wrote:
Never tried the 3 you mentioned but I own an A5 and it has been riding on my keys for more than a year without any issues.

https://www.rovyvon.com/collections/mid-year-deal-50-off/products/a8

BTW, act fast if you want it, it’s the last day for this 50% deal


with delivery its $31.90 its exactly twice the price of the jetbeam mini one Se $15.84 is it twice as good? we are nearing the price fo a lumintop nano gt light $34.56 which is much cooler than all these lights lol
derfyled
derfyled's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 days 1 hour ago
Joined: 04/16/2013 - 07:51
Posts: 283
Location: Canada

I agree the shipping kills the deal. However, IMHO, the Nichia part worth every penny. Don’t compare it to a Nano GT, these lights have completely different purpose.

freeme
freeme's picture
Online
Last seen: 13 min 17 sec ago
Joined: 11/14/2013 - 22:00
Posts: 10270

MINI ONE EDC and NITECORE TIP SE are quite popular too.

1thedeals.comyoutubeAstroluxNealsgadgetsolight

aginthelaw
aginthelaw's picture
Offline
Last seen: 16 hours 1 min ago
Joined: 09/30/2014 - 21:31
Posts: 1144
Location: noo joisey

Love my jetbeam mini one. My k2 kept accidentally activating. Don’t have experience with the other

never fear shadows…it means a light shines nearby

jon_slider
jon_slider's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 2 min ago
Joined: 09/08/2015 - 12:20
Posts: 4952
Location: Central North America

easyshades wrote:
jetbeam mini one Se $15.84

where do you see that price?

as far as “copies”
imo Rovyvon was first to commercially promote that thumb size light, but they are not the manufacturer.

other companies have accessed the same factory, and ordered slightly different configurations.

so imo, what makes Rovy more expensive is their profit margin, and feature bundle.

IF you find the Jetbeam feature set suitable, including whether or not it offers High CRI, then there is nothing about the Rovy that makes it a higher “quality” light.

I often see high priced items that are followed by lower price “copies”. imo it is more of a feature set difference, than a quality difference.

buy the one with the features, and price, that interests you. They are all equally likely to be of durable and reliable quality.

ps, I looked up the Jetbeam Mini One SE and info says it has a
CREE XP-G3
I hate that LED and would only buy that light if I was planning to mod, or swap out the LED to High CRI

for me, High CRI is a High Priority.. thats my story, and Im sticking to it Smile

easyshades wrote:

1. Jetbeam MINI ONE se
2. NITECORE TIKI GITD
3. Astrolux K2

best overall, which one and why?

of those, the K2 is the only one with a High CRI primary LED

raccoon city
raccoon city's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 4 min ago
Joined: 10/06/2010 - 02:35
Posts: 16851
Location: रॅकून सिटी Palm Desert CA USA

I care about easy to implement lock out for a keychain light, and only RovyVon offers that.

RovyVon is more expensive, but because they have the best lock out, that's what I would get.

I really don't understand why other manufacturers don't just copy RovyVon's lock out function.

jon_slider
jon_slider's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 2 min ago
Joined: 09/08/2015 - 12:20
Posts: 4952
Location: Central North America

raccoon city wrote:
lock out function.

thanks for the info that you require lockout for your Rovy

it seems the Jetbeam does not need lockout:

aginthelaw wrote:
Love my jetbeam mini one. My k2 kept accidentally activating.

I do not own any of those thumb lights, so cant say what the differences are that cause the Rovy and K2 to false activate..

I personally do not own any lights that require lockout. It is one reason I dont own any Anduril lights.. I just dont want the extra steps required to lock and unlock, every time I use a light.

raccoon city
raccoon city's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 4 min ago
Joined: 10/06/2010 - 02:35
Posts: 16851
Location: रॅकून सिटी Palm Desert CA USA

With the RovyVon keychain lights, all it takes is a long press to enter (or exit) lock out.

jon_slider
jon_slider's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 2 min ago
Joined: 09/08/2015 - 12:20
Posts: 4952
Location: Central North America

different strokes..

I would not buy the Tiki simply because it requires long hold for off

the Jetbeam and the K2 both have click on, click off, which I prefer.. not a fan of long hold…

fwiw, if youre wanting lockout, it is an option, both
the Jetbeam and K2 offer lockout

the Rovy lights have different UI’s depending on which model.. I got lost and confused, trying to figure out the differences.. that was enough for me to move past the Rovy.. I like KISS UIs (not into long hold for on or off)

raccoon city
raccoon city's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 4 min ago
Joined: 10/06/2010 - 02:35
Posts: 16851
Location: रॅकून सिटी Palm Desert CA USA

You can turn the RovyVon keychain lights on and off with a short press.

You don't have to lock them out.

The UI is so simple, it's ingenious, and other manufacturers should copy it.

jon_slider
jon_slider's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 2 min ago
Joined: 09/08/2015 - 12:20
Posts: 4952
Location: Central North America

raccoon city wrote:
You can turn the RovyVon keychain lights on and off with a short press.

not all models of Rovyvon have the same UI…

which model Rovy do you like?
does the switch false activate if you dont lockout?

also, some Rovy are bigger than others..
maybe someone can post a side by side lineup

here are two of the lights in the OP:
astrolux K2 and Jetbeam:
pic is a link to the image source from freeme:

here is another lineup I found:
(also links to source)

raccoon city
raccoon city's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 4 min ago
Joined: 10/06/2010 - 02:35
Posts: 16851
Location: रॅकून सिटी Palm Desert CA USA

jon_slider wrote:
not all models of Rovyvon have the same UI…

which model Rovy do you like?
does the switch false activate if you dont lockout?

I have the A3.

I think all of the keychain ones have very similar UI.

I always lockout, so I don't know if it'll accidentally turn on if I don't.

jon_slider
jon_slider's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 2 min ago
Joined: 09/08/2015 - 12:20
Posts: 4952
Location: Central North America

raccoon city wrote:
I have the A3

glad you enjoy it

fwiw, this says to turn off requires hold or click to turn off, depending how long the light has been on

Turn Off:
1) Long-press 0.3s;
2) Working at any mode over 3 minutes, click to turn off

inconsistent UI for OFF is a non starter for me

Im thoroughly confused by the Rovy models and UIs

raccoon city
raccoon city's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 4 min ago
Joined: 10/06/2010 - 02:35
Posts: 16851
Location: रॅकून सिटी Palm Desert CA USA

Oops!

I was wrong.

I just checked my light.

You have to lock it out to turn it off.

Short presses, when on, just change the mode.

Sorry.  :BLUSH:

mortuus
mortuus's picture
Offline
Last seen: 14 hours 37 min ago
Joined: 12/16/2014 - 09:33
Posts: 3079
Location: Sweden

dont get the astrolux.. my broke in half.. lol… awful quality on that plastic…

...where Frugal meets with Flashlight!

              つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

raccoon city
raccoon city's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 4 min ago
Joined: 10/06/2010 - 02:35
Posts: 16851
Location: रॅकून सिटी Palm Desert CA USA

mortuus wrote:

dont get the astrolux.. my broke in half.. lol... awful quality on that plastic...

I didn't know that.

I think I'll try to stick to metal flashlights.  ;)

easyshades
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 1 week ago
Joined: 06/09/2021 - 06:00
Posts: 96
Location: Australia

looks like the scales are tipping in favour of the Jetbeam from the comments. it also happens to be the cheapest one.
FYI my sc31 Pro arrived today and its an amazing little light. time to learn all this anduril modes

easyshades
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 1 week ago
Joined: 06/09/2021 - 06:00
Posts: 96
Location: Australia

jon_slider wrote:
easyshades wrote:
jetbeam mini one Se $15.84

where do you see that price?

as far as “copies”
imo Rovyvon was first to commercially promote that thumb size light, but they are not the manufacturer.

other companies have accessed the same factory, and ordered slightly different configurations.

so imo, what makes Rovy more expensive is their profit margin, and feature bundle.

IF you find the Jetbeam feature set suitable, including whether or not it offers High CRI, then there is nothing about the Rovy that makes it a higher “quality” light.

I often see high priced items that are followed by lower price “copies”. imo it is more of a feature set difference, than a quality difference.

buy the one with the features, and price, that interests you. They are all equally likely to be of durable and reliable quality.

ps, I looked up the Jetbeam Mini One SE and info says it has a
CREE XP-G3
I hate that LED and would only buy that light if I was planning to mod, or swap out the LED to High CRI

for me, High CRI is a High Priority.. thats my story, and Im sticking to it Smile

easyshades wrote:

1. Jetbeam MINI ONE se
2. NITECORE TIKI GITD
3. Astrolux K2

best overall, which one and why?

of those, the K2 is the only one with a High CRI primary LED

the price is from aliexpress, not the official store but the most sold listing. add tax/vat onto that price.

sarge12
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 4 days ago
Joined: 05/31/2020 - 08:13
Posts: 324

Of the 3 you mention, I have only the Astrolux K2, but I like both the seeknite s11, and the olight I1r 2eos better than the astrolux.

easyshades
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 1 week ago
Joined: 06/09/2021 - 06:00
Posts: 96
Location: Australia

jon_slider wrote:
raccoon city wrote:
You can turn the RovyVon keychain lights on and off with a short press.

not all models of Rovyvon have the same UI…

which model Rovy do you like?
does the switch false activate if you dont lockout?

also, some Rovy are bigger than others..
maybe someone can post a side by side lineup

here are two of the lights in the OP:
astrolux K2 and Jetbeam:
pic is a link to the image source from freeme:

here is another lineup I found:
(also links to source)

nice lineup, so which one of the 2 do you recommend? minus the rovyvon

jon_slider
jon_slider's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 2 min ago
Joined: 09/08/2015 - 12:20
Posts: 4952
Location: Central North America

easyshades wrote:
so which one of the 2 do you recommend?

I dont own any of them.. but I would listen to the guy in post #8 because it sounds like the Jetbeam does not require lockout, and it seems to have my preferred UI, which is click on click off, no long hold for on nor off.. unless you choose to use lockout

the downside is that the main LED is not High CRI.. and has an xp-g3 that I love to hate..

sooo… I cannot narrow the choices down for you Smile
this is why people buy multiple lights to try, and decide for themselves, what they like best

it is also the reason I am glad I have learned to change LEDs for myself.. IF I got the Jetbeam, I would plan on an LED swap…

but that is because High CRI is a personal Must Have.. others feature set priorities will differ

your homework is to figure out how You would answer your question.. for your personal preferences… Smile

easyshades
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 1 week ago
Joined: 06/09/2021 - 06:00
Posts: 96
Location: Australia

sarge12 wrote:
Of the 3 you mention, I have only the Astrolux K2, but I like both the seeknite s11, and the olight I1r 2eos better than the astrolux.

please tell me about the s11, seems impressive 300mah battery! is it real?

the only reviews i found on banggood:

Great keychain flashlight. I have Nitecore TIKI, JeatBeam Mini One, RovyVon Aurora A5, and this Seeknite S11 is the brightest of all on turbo mode. It says its 6500 but its about 5500. Very nice tint. Two clicks to turn it ON. Long press while flashlight is off and hold to get into turbo mode. Three clicks to get side white light on then each another click to get white light strobe, UV, red light on, red light strobe, and red/blue strobe. It’s a little bigger than others three but anyway it’s best so far. There is green led under on/off button and it’s on for a few seconds when you turn on the flashing then goes off after a few seconds. When it’s charging this under on/off button led shines red. When it’s full it goes green. It has usb C charging port. And two little magnets on the landyard hole.

Great keychain flashlight. I have Nitecore TIKI, JeatBeam Mini One, RovyVon Aurora A5, and this Seeknite S11 is the brightest of all on turbo mode. It says its 6500 but its about 5500. Very nice tint. Two clicks to turn it ON. Long press while flashlight is off and hold to get into turbo mode. Three clicks to get side white light on then each another click to get white light strobe, UV, red light on, red light strobe, and red/blue strobe. It’s a little bigger than others three but anyway it’s best so far. There is green led under on/off button and it’s on for a few seconds when you turn on the flashing then goes off after a few seconds. When it’s charging this under on/off button led shines red. When it’s full it goes green. It has usb C charging port. And two little magnets on the landyard hole.

A really nice little pocket torch. The main beam is quite cool in tint, but no visible PWM even on the lower settings. The red beacon and the UV light are handy, and the white “reading light” is usefull too. I can do without the “police” red/blue strobe, but I guess it will amuse some folks. The UI is good – simple and easy to remember. The torch is a bit bigger than the JetBeam Mini One SE or the Nitecore Tiki, but not by much, and it houses a bigger capacity battery. USB-C charging port is nice to see too. The charging indicator – red to green is useful, and it appears to show the state of charge of the battery when the torch is first turned on – a nice touch (though this isn’t mentioned in the isnstructions printed on the box) it lights up green for a few secods when the torch is first turned on, and I’m guessing it may light up red when the battery gets low. The torch appears to be decently made, and feels solid. Overall, a very nice little torch, and I got it at a great price on an email only offer. Thanks Banggood!

sarge12
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 4 days ago
Joined: 05/31/2020 - 08:13
Posts: 324

easyshades wrote:
sarge12 wrote:
Of the 3 you mention, I have only the Astrolux K2, but I like both the seeknite s11, and the olight I1r 2eos better than the astrolux.

please tell me about the s11, seems impressive 300mah battery! is it real?

real enough for me to have 3 of them, it appears to also be sold under the Boruit brand name as well. It has tiny magnets in the base, has higher lumens than the K2 and a usable white light from the side as well as red and blue blinkies and simulated UV…the red, blue, and white mix at leves to appear UV, but is not a true UV led. The same light is being sold under the MIMI S11 branding on ali express for $15.24 US. Who actually makes these little lights? I do not know, but based on what is admittedly little exposure, I do not care either. They are neat little lights, for very little change.
jon_slider
jon_slider's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 2 min ago
Joined: 09/08/2015 - 12:20
Posts: 4952
Location: Central North America

easyshades wrote:
the s11, seems impressive 300mah battery!

I do not think that is accurate.. I think you need to buy some lights, and post your impressions…

look at the size and weight of the other models by comparison..
less than half as big a battery spec (I often find specs have errors)

how can a K2 that is the same size as an S11, have less than half the battery?

I suggest you try to figure out which light UI you like.. seems they are all different….
some click on and off, some hold for on or off.. etc..

——-

Astrolux k2

135mAh
17g
65 × 16mm

——-

S11

300mAh
18g
61 × 16mm

——-

Jetbeam Mini One

135mAh
29g
54 × 15mm

——-

Jetbeam mini one SE
120mAh
13g
54 × 15mm

——-

master-of-disaster
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 4 days ago
Joined: 02/20/2019 - 14:00
Posts: 21
Location: EU

jon_slider wrote:
easyshades wrote:
the s11, seems impressive 300mah battery!

I do not think that is accurate.. I think you need to buy some lights, and post your impressions…

look at the size and weight of the other models by comparison..
less than half as big a battery spec (I often find specs have errors)

how can a K2 that is the same size as an S11, have less than half the battery?


I don’t know if that spec is accurate, but it’s possible.
The current generation RovyVon lights are specced at 330 mAh and from the runtime tests I’ve seen that seems to be true.
dthrckt
dthrckt's picture
Online
Last seen: 3 min 34 sec ago
Joined: 11/08/2011 - 10:11
Posts: 4587
Location: Upstate NY

Completely depends on the flashlights purpose. Even changes between different headlamp purposes.

Nitecore HC90 is a great interface for multiple emitters, a sliding button.. ramping, extra click to turbo, opposite direction has RGB. So easy for anyone to use.