Coronavirus **personal experiences** thread

7798 posts / 0 new
Last post
djozz
djozz's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 31 min ago
Joined: 09/07/2012 - 17:04
Posts: 17997
Location: Amsterdam

Unheard wrote:
raccoon city wrote:
Just getting one dose doesn’t cut it with this variant.

But that’s the case for all variants. The second dose is unfortunately mandatory.

For the original strain, one dose of Pfizer or Astrazenica after 6 or so weeks already gives close to 90% protection, so the delta variant is a rather different case.
Unheard
Unheard's picture
Offline
Last seen: 12 hours 4 min ago
Joined: 01/16/2019 - 11:38
Posts: 2245
Location: Germany

djozz wrote:
Unheard wrote:
raccoon city wrote:
Just getting one dose doesn’t cut it with this variant.

But that’s the case for all variants. The second dose is unfortunately mandatory.

For the original strain, one dose of Pfizer or Astrazenica after 6 or so weeks already gives close to 90% protection, so the delta variant is a rather different case.

Oops, didn’t know this. I had something like 50% in mind. Thanks!

Smile, you cannot kill them all.

raccoon city
raccoon city's picture
Online
Last seen: 9 min 48 sec ago
Joined: 10/06/2010 - 02:35
Posts: 17104
Location: रॅकून सिटी Palm Desert CA USA

Interesting statistic:

99% of the people that died from Covid-19 in May of 2021 in the U.S. were unvaccinated.

In other words, 99% of those deaths were avoidable.

NorthernHarrier
NorthernHarrier's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 18 min ago
Joined: 11/30/2018 - 12:05
Posts: 586
Location: Eastern USA
raccoon city wrote:

Interesting statistic:


99% of the people that died from Covid-19 in May of 2021 in the U.S. were unvaccinated.


In other words, 99% of those deaths were avoidable.

Yes, but even before vaccinations were available, most of the deaths were avoidable.

"However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light." - Stanley Kubrick

hank
hank's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 14 hours ago
Joined: 09/04/2011 - 21:52
Posts: 9596
Location: Berkeley, California

From today’s Washington Post

https://s2.washingtonpost.com/1f6d869/60d638c29d2fda8060e79fb1/5ced5692a... online virus email:

Quote:
in Australia: Sydney began partial lockdown Friday because a cluster of the delta variant broke out there. Contact tracers have identified at least 65 cases following transmission that started with an airport limo driver. The lockdown has been likened to a circuit breaker, with New South Wales Premier Gladys Berejiklian saying the week-long pause will “prevent further spread and prevent further dislocation.”
ShyOne
ShyOne's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 14 hours ago
Joined: 08/08/2019 - 23:23
Posts: 388
Location: Cortez, FL Cuchara, CO Homeport..AL

hank wrote:
From today’s Washington Post

https://s2.washingtonpost.com/1f6d869/60d638c29d2fda8060e79fb1/5ced5692a... online virus email:

Quote:
in Australia: Sydney began partial lockdown Friday because a cluster of the delta variant broke out there. Contact tracers have identified at least 65 cases following transmission that started with an airport limo driver. The lockdown has been likened to a circuit breaker, with New South Wales Premier Gladys Berejiklian saying the week-long pause will “prevent further spread and prevent further dislocation.”
More lockdowns??? Shocked Shocked Facepalm
Screw that… noooo thank you!!! Crazy Davie
raccoon city
raccoon city's picture
Online
Last seen: 9 min 48 sec ago
Joined: 10/06/2010 - 02:35
Posts: 17104
Location: रॅकून सिटी Palm Desert CA USA

Most of Earth is not vaccinated, especially in poorer countries.

There will be many more lockdowns around the world to prevent serious illness and death.

The Delta variant is by far the worst so far, and I expect even worse variants in the future.

jon_slider
jon_slider's picture
Online
Last seen: 6 min 41 sec ago
Joined: 09/08/2015 - 12:20
Posts: 5051
Location: Central North America

personal experience and mindset for me in USA, today…

less than 50% of the people at the grocery store are wearing masks. Even staff is without masks.

most people I meet are vaccinated, but not all. There is no way to know if a person with no mask, is vaccinated, or they think masks dont matter

I am very concerned that so many people choose to believe a man that lied to us about masks, corona, the election, and most other things including deals with Russia.

Im very worried about the number of people who are willing to do violence, to support their right to believe those lies. I feel it is a very dangerous time in USA, politically.

Police here are on edge. They have shot and killed 2 people within a mile of my house this week. Tensions are high, and more civilians are carrying guns for defense, in response to more gun crime. A volatile combination.

I do hope our control of the epidemic continues to reduce the risk. Im still wearing my mask at the grocery store. I fear a resurgence of infections as a result of reopening, scheduled for July 1st here.

Just in time to allow people to party maskless on the 4th.

I hope we survive the epidemic, and the political divisions, here in USA.

Lightbringer
Lightbringer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 11 hours 27 min ago
Joined: 08/30/2016 - 14:12
Posts: 15735
Location: nyc

Hmm, I went food-shopping t’other day, and I didn’t even notice how many people were masked vs unmasked. Saw both.

Ain’t about to try keeping track which places require them and which don’t, so I just keep my bandana with me just in case.

Ain’t about to argue superstitions from both sides, so that’s the path of least resistance.

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

raccoon city
raccoon city's picture
Online
Last seen: 9 min 48 sec ago
Joined: 10/06/2010 - 02:35
Posts: 17104
Location: रॅकून सिटी Palm Desert CA USA

I went grocery shopping today.

I didn't really keep track of what percentage of people were wearing masks, but it was under 50%.

I wore a mask because I don't want the Covid, and I have a sinus infection, which is also contagious.

I think someday I'll feel comfortable enough to go shopping without a mask, but if I'm sick, I think I'll wear a mask as a courtesy to others.

And, yes, I realize that wearing a mask is not comfortable which is why so many people don't want to do it.

hank
hank's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 14 hours ago
Joined: 09/04/2011 - 21:52
Posts: 9596
Location: Berkeley, California

Uh, oh.

From Quora’s discussion:

Quote:
Profile photo for Mitchell Tsai
Mitchell Tsai
Virus researcher at Harvard Medical School in 1980sSat

WARNING: Delta is MUCH more infective (part 2 of 2): You can catch Delta passing someone in a hallway for a few seconds. This is BAD news. Time to wear N95/N99/N100 masks (and maybe goggles).
https://coronavirus.quora.com/?__ni__=0&__nsrc__=4&__snid3__=23112095845...

Queensland’s chief health officer, Dr Jeannette Young – “With the Delta variant, we’re seeing very fleeting contact leading to transmission”

“At the start of this pandemic, I spoke about 15 minutes of close contact being a concern. Now it looks like it’s five to 10 seconds that’s a concern. The risk is so much higher now than it was only a year ago.”

The New South Wales premier, Gladys Berijiklian, has described “scarily fleeting” encounters resulting in Delta spread in Sydney after CCTV revealed two people walking past each other at Bondi Junction Westfield transmitted the virus.

The state’s health minister, Brad Hazzard, described the variant as “a gold medallist when it comes to jumping from one person to another”.

Lightbringer
Lightbringer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 11 hours 27 min ago
Joined: 08/30/2016 - 14:12
Posts: 15735
Location: nyc

I heard you could catch it by just thinking about it…

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

MoreLumens
MoreLumens's picture
Offline
Last seen: 17 hours 24 min ago
Joined: 10/25/2019 - 07:08
Posts: 1663
Location: Finland

Get gas mask. Wear it 24/7, problem solved. What you don’t really care, huh?

hank
hank's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 14 hours ago
Joined: 09/04/2011 - 21:52
Posts: 9596
Location: Berkeley, California

Further excerpt from that Quora article:

Quote:

Queensland’s chief health officer, Dr Jeannette Young – “With the Delta variant, we’re seeing very fleeting contact leading to transmission”

“At the start of this pandemic, I spoke about 15 minutes of close contact being a concern. Now it looks like it’s five to 10 seconds that’s a concern. The risk is so much higher now than it was only a year ago.”

pennzy
pennzy's picture
Offline
Last seen: 39 min 54 sec ago
Joined: 12/10/2017 - 19:45
Posts: 3847
Location: United States , Pa.

My personal hiring experience this summer has been bad. No applicants. All the businesses are hunting for workers. Everyone is readjusting to opening up. I have also noticed virtual school did not turn out well for many. It has all been a big social experiment and it will probably be debated and studied for decades.

jeff51
jeff51's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 31 min ago
Joined: 03/26/2019 - 17:36
Posts: 1188
Location: Middle of Texas

The previous two infusion treatments I got at the hospital, basically 4 and 8 weeks ago, A mask was required. Saying where you were going. But that’s it. Before that it was the COVID questions and temps taken.

This time – today – they are back to asking the COVID questions and taking temps.
There hasn’t been an upswing in cases here, but something must have put them on alert.

Meanwhile, a short quip I like to share with those who are dead set against following any sort of safety protocols.

Texas, Population ~ 29M, Confirmed COVID Cases: 2.9 Million, Deaths: ~ 52,000.
Taiwan, Population ~ 23M, Confirmed COVID Casee: 14,750, Deaths: 643
Taiwan is way more densely populated, and way closer to the source travel wise.

Those pesky mask wearing, social distancing, COVID tracking, rule following Taiwanese are tougher than Texans.
OR
Just perhaps all that safety stuff just may work.
Some are quite irate when I tell this little factoid.
All the Best,
Jeff

Sidney Stratton
Sidney Stratton's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 15 min ago
Joined: 01/28/2018 - 22:59
Posts: 684
Location: Canada

jeff51 wrote:

…/ Meanwhile, a short quip I like to share with those who are dead set against following any sort of safety protocols.

Texas, Population ~ 29M, Confirmed COVID Cases: 2.9 Million, Deaths: ~ 52,000.
Taiwan, Population ~ 23M, Confirmed COVID Casee: 14,750, Deaths: 643
Taiwan is way more densely populated, and way closer to the source travel wise.

Those pesky mask wearing, social distancing, COVID tracking, rule following Taiwanese are tougher than Texans.
OR
Just perhaps all that safety stuff just may work.

Some are quite irate when I tell this little factoid.

Jeff

I’ll be taking this factoid in my arsenal to some tone-deaf / conspiracy-wavering deniers.

Perhaps you are acquainted with Peter Hadfield (aka Potholer);

Another side-effect of Covid-19: Stupidity

MoreLumens
MoreLumens's picture
Offline
Last seen: 17 hours 24 min ago
Joined: 10/25/2019 - 07:08
Posts: 1663
Location: Finland

jeff51 wrote:

Texas, Population ~ 29M, Confirmed COVID Cases: 2.9 Million, Deaths: ~ 52,000.
Taiwan, Population ~ 23M, Confirmed COVID Casee: 14,750, Deaths: 643
Taiwan is way more densely populated, and way closer to the source travel wise.

Those pesky mask wearing, social distancing, COVID tracking, rule following Taiwanese are tougher than Texans.
OR
Just perhaps all that safety stuff just may work.
Some are quite irate when I tell this little factoid.
All the Best,
Jeff

Also Taiwan has one of the best health care system in the whole world:
https://ceoworld.biz/2021/04/27/revealed-countries-with-the-best-health-...

US is ranked at 30 and it has the most expensive system in the world. Not sure how Texas ranks inside US though, maybe top 10 states?

What I’m saying is that they probably know what they’re doing and no need for trial and error-style of approach. Probably also easier to control country’s health care protocols and other stuff like pesky mask recommendations etc. when US’s has all “independent” states that can mix things up a bit?

Pete7874
Pete7874's picture
Offline
Last seen: 28 min 57 sec ago
Joined: 11/23/2011 - 16:47
Posts: 3471
Location: USA

MoreLumens][quote=jeff51 wrote:
Probably also easier to control country’s health care protocols and other stuff like pesky mask recommendations etc. when US’s has all “independent” states that can mix things up a bit?

Taiwan doesn’t just have mask recommendations. Mask wearing is mandatory and there are hefty fines if you don’t comply.

https://focustaiwan.tw/society/202105200019

No chance of that happening in the US, because “freedom.” Facepalm

MoreLumens
MoreLumens's picture
Offline
Last seen: 17 hours 24 min ago
Joined: 10/25/2019 - 07:08
Posts: 1663
Location: Finland

Yes, but we can all wear gas masks. C’mon now, think about it. You get 100% protection against Covid and you don’t have to care about other peoples personal choices anymore. Ain’t that like win-win? LOL

ShyOne
ShyOne's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 14 hours ago
Joined: 08/08/2019 - 23:23
Posts: 388
Location: Cortez, FL Cuchara, CO Homeport..AL

MoreLumens wrote:
Yes, but we can all wear gas masks. C’mon now, think about it. You get 100% protection against Covid and you don’t have to care about other peoples personal choices anymore. Ain’t that like win-win? LOL

Definitely a “win-win”, especially against the SDDDV that apparently swarms you if you pass someone in a hallway who has it!! Shocked Shocked

Plus, the “Gas Mask” will completely cover the eyes, therefore eliminating two more orifices the SDDDV can enter to infect & wreak havoc.

Have the experts determined if the ears can be a pathway fo infection???

raccoon city
raccoon city's picture
Online
Last seen: 9 min 48 sec ago
Joined: 10/06/2010 - 02:35
Posts: 17104
Location: रॅकून सिटी Palm Desert CA USA

I finally know someone that got Covid.

I used to live in Central California.

A lady there that my family knows got Covid and died on Thursday.

Now her husband has Covid.

Both of them are unvaccinated, and actually, they're both anti-vaxxers.

jon_slider
jon_slider's picture
Online
Last seen: 6 min 41 sec ago
Joined: 09/08/2015 - 12:20
Posts: 5051
Location: Central North America

raccoon city wrote:
A lady there that my family knows got Covid and died on Thursday.

Now her husband has Covid.

Both of them are unvaccinated, and actually, they’re both anti-vaxx

Very sorry to hear.

Other data Ive seen recently, says well over 90% of new cases in USA, are due to UnVaccinated people.

Today I took a walk to the Post Office. Town is full of unmasked tourists. The mask mandate was lifted here 2 days ago.

The Post office employee was also unmasked. I wore my mask inside the Post Office, but took it off walking outdoors.

A couple of days ago, I asked my doctor for a booster shot for my J&J Vaccine, they said it is not authorized, and to check back for new CDC guidelines in 3 weeks.

Yesterday I went to an outdoor hot springs. Nobody wore masks. I talked to a group of high school kids, and asked if they were vaccinated, they said yes. I was glad to know that age group is being authorized for vaccination.

Pete7874
Pete7874's picture
Offline
Last seen: 28 min 57 sec ago
Joined: 11/23/2011 - 16:47
Posts: 3471
Location: USA

jon_slider wrote:
I talked to a group of high school kids, and asked if they were vaccinated, they said yes. I was glad to know that age group is being authorized for vaccination.

COVID-19 vaccines are authorized for people 12 years of age and older. That leaves my 6-year-old son out for now, yet they no longer wear masks at his daycare/summer school.
Mraz
Mraz's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 41 min ago
Joined: 07/18/2020 - 06:58
Posts: 123

Well… it’s been a strange year for us.

Starting 2021 we ALL got Covid-19 (me, my wife, my kids, my parents and grandmother, wifes parents, grandfather, brother and sister).

Wife and her side of the family got thru it with no real problems, few days of light fewer and loss of taste/smell. My side of family got way worse (same source) with 10 day fewer, headeche and lung problems. My mother and grandmother ended up in hospital for a few weeks. Grandmother passed away, not from Covid-19 but from an bacteria she got in the hospital.

Since I have a few connections in our hospital (that’s just how things work here in the magnificent Balkans) we were treated well and warned by staff not to get vaccinated because it doesn’t really help and side effects are not a joke. Hospital was full of sick people who were at that time vaccinated two times and many of then ended up on respirators. Pfizer and Astrezeneca were used. As for the side affects, all of my friends who got vaccinated have random problems since then ranging from headeche to joint pain and few days ago my friends dad died of stroke two hours after getting his second shot.

I am NOT an anti-vaxer, and I don’t bother myself with conspiracy theories. This are just our personal experiences. I am NOT saying you should not get vaccinated.

After al the Covid-19 problems I ended up getting a Hemorrhagic Fever with Renal Syndrome as a bonus so this year is a win. Not.

MoreLumens
MoreLumens's picture
Offline
Last seen: 17 hours 24 min ago
Joined: 10/25/2019 - 07:08
Posts: 1663
Location: Finland

Mraz wrote:

I am NOT an anti-vaxer, and I don’t bother myself with conspiracy theories. This are just our personal experiences. I am NOT saying you should not get vaccinated.

I ain’t anti-vax either, but I’m anti-BS. There is good vaccines and then there seems to be bad ones too.

djozz
djozz's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 31 min ago
Joined: 09/07/2012 - 17:04
Posts: 17997
Location: Amsterdam

But the mentioned Pfizer and Astrazenica are among the proven good ones, there is well documented experiences from millions of people, the experiences that Mraz mentions are way from average.

Mraz
Mraz's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 41 min ago
Joined: 07/18/2020 - 06:58
Posts: 123

Seems a lot like all the bad ones somehow end up in eastern Europe / Balkans.

djozz
djozz's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 31 min ago
Joined: 09/07/2012 - 17:04
Posts: 17997
Location: Amsterdam

Mraz wrote:
Seems a lot like all the bad ones somehow end up in eastern Europe / Balkans.

I know that Sputnic V is used a lot in the Balkans, and chinese vaccins. Of those vaccins, the trials and reports are dubious and influenced by politics and so their effectivity numbers (and safety, but I doubt that any goverment would release clearly unsafe vaccins to the public) are uncertain or even not published. Their effectivity will eventually be found by the actual large-scale vaccination programs with them, making the world one big trial. It does not mean that they are bad or unsafe though, just that they fail to do proper trials and tell us that.
Mike173
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 22 min ago
Joined: 02/23/2015 - 05:30
Posts: 16
Lightbringer wrote:
I heard you could catch it by just thinking about it…

True.
I just got the Delta, Epsilon, Zeta, Theta and the Lambda variants just by watching the news.

Pages

Topic locked