Looking for inexpensive quality sunglasses. Any recommendations?

33 posts / 0 new
Last post

Pages

CRC
CRC's picture
Offline
Last seen: 10 hours 22 min ago
Joined: 06/11/2021 - 23:30
Posts: 270
Looking for inexpensive quality sunglasses. Any recommendations?

As much as More so than I rely on a flashlight to see in the dark, I seriously require sunglasses to even open my eyes on a sunny day. Even on an overcast day. I seem to have really sensitive eyes.

Ive been buying cheap sunglasses my whole life never spending more than $20(Canadian) on a pair.

Being that they are so important to me, Im looking for a good quality pair of durable sunglasses that will hopefully last longer than the cheapies I keep burning through.

Im looking for function, not fashion.

I’ll never understand why a pair of sunglasses would ever cost $300+ (Rayban)

Wondering if anyone here is also a budget “sunglass-aholic”(?) with some good recommendations?

Edited by: CRC on 07/30/2021 - 11:12
Sirstinky
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 34 min ago
Joined: 11/02/2018 - 17:07
Posts: 1374
Location: Vancouver, WA

I’ve always bought Bole sunglasses, made in Italy. I look for sales at Big 5 where I can get them 40-50% off so that brings the price down to about $50 (US). They’re super quality, tough, and durable. I get polarized smoke polycarbonate lenses because I kayak a lot and that helps eliminate glare from the water.I have the same pair I bought 9 years ago with no issues. The soft-touch coating is wearing iff, but that’s it. I’d like to get a pair of Ray-Ban aviators, but at $170 US, too much (plus glass lenses). There are other brands like Serengeti that are nice, but don’t have the style I like.

alpg88
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 21 hours ago
Joined: 10/11/2013 - 12:35
Posts: 1141
Location: usa

i’m in the same boat, i used to buy cheap glasses, and was perfectly fine, now the same glasses no longer work, small details seem to be blurry, even thou a year ago i did not notice it. so i was trying to find glasses where those details stay sharp, as with no glasses, but even my wifes 250dolars glasses have the same effect, literally every single pair i tried, for any price does the same thing, it seems that 20 dollar glasses have same crappy lenses that 200+ glasses have. i do wear reading glasses, but it can not be the reason since i see those details just fine when i take sunglasses off. at this point i’m willing to pay 200 bucks for a pair, if i can find one that works for me, but so far i have no luck.

Thanks Sirstinky, i had no idea aviator glasses still use real glass lenses, i’ll try them maybe it’ll work, cuz pretty much all glasses i tried had plastic lenses,

sp5it
sp5it's picture
Offline
Last seen: 17 min 40 sec ago
Joined: 12/25/2012 - 07:51
Posts: 1419
Location: Poland

Go to the optician and buy quality sunglasses.
Those cheap, available everywhere can make your eyes degrade.
That’s why good sunglasses cost more than plastic garbage bought on the street.
You have only one pair of eyes.
Mike

Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that. George Carlin

 Anyone offended by my signature please fill Complaint Form. Thank you.

 If a lot of people listen to Slayer, the world would be a better place to live" - Tommy Wiseau

CRC
CRC's picture
Offline
Last seen: 10 hours 22 min ago
Joined: 06/11/2021 - 23:30
Posts: 270

I do happen to have perfect vision.

I dont need regular glasses.

I have at least always made sure to buy sunglasses with proper UV protection.

Im now looking into getting polarized as well as a decent build quality.

Im sick of bad hinges being the main cause of breakage for me.

jeff51
jeff51's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 days 18 hours ago
Joined: 03/26/2019 - 17:36
Posts: 1174
Location: Middle of Texas

alpg88 wrote:
i’m in the same boat, i used to buy cheap glasses, and was perfectly fine, now the same glasses no longer work, small details seem to be blurry, even thou a year ago i did not notice it. so i was trying to find glasses where those details stay sharp, as with no glasses, but even my wifes 250dolars glasses have the same effect, literally every single pair i tried, for any price does the same thing, it seems that 20 dollar glasses have same crappy lenses that 200+ glasses have. i do wear reading glasses, but it can not be the reason since i see those details just fine when i take sunglasses off. at this point i’m willing to pay 200 bucks for a pair, if i can find one that works for me, but so far i have no luck.

Thanks Sirstinky, i had no idea aviator glasses still use real glass lenses, i’ll try them maybe it’ll work, cuz pretty much all glasses i tried had plastic lenses,


What might be happening is that without the shades, your pupils are way small. This gives you the added depth of field that makes things look sharper.
With the shades, the pupils are large and you loose the advantage.

Take the thumb and first finger of both hands, Bring them together to make a little box shape you can peer through. Squish the box larger and smaller to change the “aperture”.
Then see if things sharpen up as it gets smaller compared to just eyeballs. Do it again using the shades if you can find enough light.
Think a visit to the eye doc for a vision test might be in order.
All the Best,
Jeff

CRC
CRC's picture
Offline
Last seen: 10 hours 22 min ago
Joined: 06/11/2021 - 23:30
Posts: 270

Thanks for the input guys.

I’ll have to look into Bole.

It seems to me sunglasses are just a fashion accessory, and thats why their so expensive.

Vanity.

I just need a quility tool.

Im looking for that company that builds a quility tool at a reasonable price for what it actually is and does.

There are thousands of sunglasses and brands at every price point.

So like where frugal meets with flashlight, im trying to now find out where frugal meets with sunglasses.

Im looking for the Convoy or Sofirn of sunglasses

Camaro
Offline
Last seen: 14 hours 4 min ago
Joined: 06/27/2021 - 12:48
Posts: 74
Location: Ontario, Canada

I’d second Bolle as well, I think that is the spelling. They originally made goggles and glasses for skiers and snowboarders, so you know they are going to be decent glasses and less likely to break.

I had an amazing pair of Serengetti’s until one lens dropped out and broke that I got at a flea market for 5$, used them for years. Was going to bite the bullet and buy a new pair but now they are made by Bell & Howell, used to be made by Corning.

B&H makes the taclite, ‘nuff said….

zoulas
zoulas's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 37 min ago
Joined: 06/01/2020 - 08:35
Posts: 1941

I have purchased dozens of cheap sunglasses. They all suck. Why do they suck? The optics.

You can better understand this by doing a side by side test.

The cheap ones are all blurry.

The good ones are crystal clear.

Best sunglasses IMHO, Revo

Second best : Maui Jim.

Ray Ban are more geared towards tourists. Not what they used to be.

Once you try Revo, you wont want to take them off.

CRC
CRC's picture
Offline
Last seen: 10 hours 22 min ago
Joined: 06/11/2021 - 23:30
Posts: 270

zoulas wrote:
I have purchased dozens of cheap sunglasses. They all suck. Why do they suck? The optics.

You can better understand this by doing a side by side test.

The cheap ones are all blurry.

The good ones are crystal clear.

Best sunglasses IMHO, Revo

Second best : Maui Jim.

Ray Ban are more geared towards tourists. Not what they used to be.

Once you try Revo, you wont want to take them off.

Ill have to look into your suggestions as well.

Im looking for exactly what youre talking about. I just dont want to over pay for it.

zoulas
zoulas's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 37 min ago
Joined: 06/01/2020 - 08:35
Posts: 1941

The good news is if you are super careful, they last a lifetime.

CRC
CRC's picture
Offline
Last seen: 10 hours 22 min ago
Joined: 06/11/2021 - 23:30
Posts: 270

I have yet to properly crack into the world of sunglasses.

Just some basic searches so far.

Enough to know its not going to be a quick easy decision.

Its gonna be a huge online journey trying to figure out what I need to know to get exactly what Im looking for, and know im getting it for what its really worth. Whatever price point that happens to be.

Dont care enough about them beyond just finding what I need and then sticking to it.

Just figured id try starting that journey here on the off chance any blf members happened to be into sunglasses as much as they are flashlights, or had already taken this journey and could short cut it for me and point me in the right direction.

Edit: In a weird way, flashlights and sunglasses are kind of similar. They both help you to see.

A flashlight helps me see at night and sunglasses help me see during the day.

One pro duces light, one re duces light.

dthrckt
dthrckt's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 2 hours ago
Joined: 11/08/2011 - 10:11
Posts: 4614
Location: Upstate NY

price watch these or put an alert on slickdeals. I generally wear Smith’s Guide’s Choice polarchromic, but if I have a beer or two I put those in the case and put these on, at 1/10th the price, that’s saved me a few hundred dollars (dropping caused a scratch 2x).

Very quality feel imo, you can adjust the nose bridge because they’re decent metal, and the frame, while metal and hinges sprung, is very light.

I paid full price for my first pair and was happy.

cheap sunglasses

alpg88
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 21 hours ago
Joined: 10/11/2013 - 12:35
Posts: 1141
Location: usa

jeff51 wrote:
alpg88 wrote:
i’m in the same boat, i used to buy cheap glasses, and was perfectly fine, now the same glasses no longer work, small details seem to be blurry, even thou a year ago i did not notice it. so i was trying to find glasses where those details stay sharp, as with no glasses, but even my wifes 250dolars glasses have the same effect, literally every single pair i tried, for any price does the same thing, it seems that 20 dollar glasses have same crappy lenses that 200+ glasses have. i do wear reading glasses, but it can not be the reason since i see those details just fine when i take sunglasses off. at this point i’m willing to pay 200 bucks for a pair, if i can find one that works for me, but so far i have no luck.

Thanks Sirstinky, i had no idea aviator glasses still use real glass lenses, i’ll try them maybe it’ll work, cuz pretty much all glasses i tried had plastic lenses,


What might be happening is that without the shades, your pupils are way small. This gives you the added depth of field that makes things look sharper.
With the shades, the pupils are large and you loose the advantage.

Take the thumb and first finger of both hands, Bring them together to make a little box shape you can peer through. Squish the box larger and smaller to change the “aperture”.
Then see if things sharpen up as it gets smaller compared to just eyeballs. Do it again using the shades if you can find enough light.
Think a visit to the eye doc for a vision test might be in order.
All the Best,
Jeff

yes that is very logical, and i did try the experiment, just like you said, smaller opening has sharper pic. however the same thing happens when i put on yellow driving glasses, which make everything appear brighter, thou, i realize, they actually do not make anything brighter, just filtering blue out makes it appear that way.
as far as eye doc. i have seen one last year, got rx for reading glasses +2, went to optician, he made glasses according to rx, i put them on in the store and it made my head spin, i never took them, the guy tried to convince me that glasses are great, and i need to get used to them, lol
Then i went to a cvs pharmacy picked +2 from the rack, iirc, 8 bucks, night and day difference, i could have gone to another optician, but why bother when i can get glasses that i can actually see better with. for fraction of the price.

yasenf
Offline
Last seen: 11 hours 46 min ago
Joined: 02/10/2017 - 14:33
Posts: 267
Location: Bulgaria

Don’t know if Polaroid is available in your stores, they have a series of all silicone, which you can bend in any direction. Model if mine is P7334D and you don’t feel them when wearing, while vision is very good.

Nachtfeuerzeug
Nachtfeuerzeug's picture
Offline
Last seen: 16 hours 42 min ago
Joined: 08/31/2013 - 16:10
Posts: 702

If you can get ahold of these, you may be in eye comfort nirvana: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Renegade-Men-s-Ike-Polarized-Fishing-Sunglasses-RFI-619460/227026082

I started buying polarized years ago and will never buy sunglasses without it. 

I was able to buy some Costa shades a few years ago and they're great but these Ikes fit very comfortably, the tint is grey with a hint of rose (some folks love their LED tint rosy, too), my eyelashes don't sweep the inside of the lens and it's been real easy for me to keep from scratching them. I swear my eyes have this long ahhhhh feeling when I put them on! I live in south Texas and they work great. 

EDC

FW3A, SST20 4000K || S21A, Crescendo Mtn20DD, LH351D 4000K || SP32A, SST40 5000K

Recent/ongoing Mods:

S2+, TexAven 17mm, LH351D | S21A, Crescendo 20mm, XPL HI 5000K | L2 w/Mtn17DD Zener Guppydrv, XHP-50 | C8+ OP, DD XHP-50

SP32A w/SST40 5000K | TIR Upgrades | EagleTac clip | Ultrafire C2 w/6A 20mm & LH351D | S2+, Biscotti, Nichia 219C 2700K |

Reviews:

Sofirn SP31 v2.0 Tactical Flashlight (Cree XPL HI) || Sofirn SD05 Scuba Diving Flashlight || Sofirn SC31 USB Rechargeable (XP-G3) || Sofirn SC31 Pro 5000K

Quillz
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 4 days ago
Joined: 01/15/2017 - 00:16
Posts: 121
Location: Stockton,CA

You might want to take a look at Native eyewear sunglasses, their prices are in the midrange of the sunglass price market. I believe most of their models are polarized but don’t quote me on that. I’ve had the same pair for a couple of years now and they’re a lot sharper vision wise than the cheapo sunglasses I used to wear.

Quillz

Bardo219
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 2 days ago
Joined: 07/03/2019 - 20:29
Posts: 98

My friend loves the Puma brand sunglasses available through Costco which are affordable. I know my Oakley sunglasses fatigue me less than my generic ones. I’ve worn a friends Maui Jim’s and they were great. Sorry I know this is anecdotal.

Souichirou
Souichirou's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 41 min ago
Joined: 04/05/2019 - 21:32
Posts: 692

This might sound like an ad but it isnt, I picked up a few pairs from “Shady Rays” cause they also donate 10 meals to the homeless per pair you pick up the prices are fair especially during their BOGO sales. Best of all they have a pretty insane “warranty” basically if you lose/break them they cover 2 replacements just need to pay for processing.

NeutralFan
NeutralFan's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 17 hours ago
Joined: 03/20/2014 - 19:22
Posts: 1539
Location: Wisconsin, USA

I buy my sunglasses from Walmart. Just go to the fishing section and look for the “fishing” sunglasses. The have the normal UV protection, are polarized (so you can see better into water), and have many styles to choose from. All my sunglasses have to be polarized since they are awesome at minimizing glare while driving.

They are very comfortable, may not be of the highest quality, but for $10-15 and being polarized, they are a bargain!

I’d rather use my flashlight around the house than turn on the lights.

ShyOne
ShyOne's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 6 days ago
Joined: 08/08/2019 - 23:23
Posts: 388
Location: Cortez, FL Cuchara, CO Homeport..AL

NeutralFan wrote:
I buy my sunglasses from Walmart. Just go to the fishing section and look for the “fishing” sunglasses. The have the normal UV protection, are polarized (so you can see better into water), and have many styles to choose from. All my sunglasses have to be polarized since they are awesome at minimizing glare while driving.

They are very comfortable, may not be of the highest quality, but for $10-15 and being polarized, they are a bargain!

Same here. And I did so until I needed perscription Sunglasses. Then I just started going to the WalMart Vision Center.

They are great & reasonably priced.
The Ti-Flex frames last forever too. Polarized & choice of tint.
I have both Gray & Amber.

Don“t waste your money on the “Scratch Resistant Coating”. I never get it. My Sunglasses go through hades & I have never scratched a lens. ✅

gchart
gchart's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 21 min ago
Joined: 03/19/2016 - 11:57
Posts: 3158
Location: Central IL

Similar situation here. Sensitive eyes and I always wear sunglasses even when it’s cloudy.

I always bought cheap sunglasses until about 2 years ago I got LASIK done and they gave me a 50% off coupon on a pair of Maui Jims. Ohhh yeah. Still pricey but they really are great. I baby them though because I couldn’t ever see paying the full price for a replacement pair.

I’ll inevitably break them since I wear them several times a day, every day. So I need to be on the lookout for another set to keep on hand. I might have to watch out for those Bolle sales or something. I’ve also heard about the Shady Rays but wasn’t sure what to think, I might have to give them another look.

PS – that LASIK procedure was life changing. I’ve been terribly near sighted since I was 4. I couldn’t see the big E on the chart. Without my contacts I would run into walls. Now I can wake up and just see. It’s amazing. If you need vision correction (contacts/glasses) you owe it to yourself to check it out.

Lightbringer
Lightbringer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 45 min ago
Joined: 08/30/2016 - 14:12
Posts: 15704
Location: nyc

Nooo, not Lasik, but PRK PRK PRK. Smile

Lasik actually weakens the structure of the cornea (USAF automatically DQs you from being a pilot if you get Lasik), but PRK does a surface reshaping of the cornea with minimal damage (USAF will actually pay for you to get PRK!). That’s what sold me. Never looked back, no pun intended.

 

But I always got cheep cheep cheep little chicken sunglasses from wherever. Careful to make sure they’re UV-blocking as to not do damage to your retinas from having wide-open pupils.

I always ended up busting sunglasses by dropping ‘em, sitting on ‘em, dropping then sitting on ‘em, etc., so it never paid for me to get good ones.

Last time I got any, it was a 3fer20 deal at a kiosk in the mall. One set was a POS, light plastic “frames” which snapped at the bridge when dropped. Both other sets I still have, the brown-tinted aviator style and another polarised set, more “rectangular” when I want to go all Agent Smith on someone.

All of ‘em crystal clear, no issues with “bad” lenses or irregularities, so I was pleasantly surprised for at least getting 2 good ones out of 3.

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

ValuseekeR
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 1 week ago
Joined: 12/01/2012 - 13:18
Posts: 386
Location: USA

Edge Eyewear is the best deal I’ve found for quality optics that are polarized, safety-rated, and have proper uv protection.

LD5050
LD5050's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 2 days ago
Joined: 07/29/2021 - 11:08
Posts: 3
Location: Frisco, TX

Great suggestions, I’m going to look into all of them Revo especially.

Couchmaster
Offline
Last seen: 11 hours 57 min ago
Joined: 05/04/2016 - 17:11
Posts: 487
Location: USA
sp5it wrote:
Go to the optician and buy quality sunglasses. Those cheap, available everywhere can make your eyes degrade. That’s why good sunglasses cost more than plastic garbage bought on the street. You have only one pair of eyes. Mike

Mike speaks for me. I’m a cheap bastard too. There are times to save a nickel and there are times when you try to save a nickel that it costs you big. Re-Read Mikes screed. Spend the extra money on a name brand product. Take care that it’s not a cheap Chinese knock off (ie, Oakleys). I found a pair of Nikons on sale. Do that kind of thing.

Best to you.

xevious
xevious's picture
Online
Last seen: 2 min 57 sec ago
Joined: 02/27/2013 - 21:55
Posts: 2546
Location: Hoboken, NJ USA

I’ve bought all kinds of sunglasses over the years. My first really expensive pair was a set of RayBan Wayfarers. They were great… until I lost them. So I went back to cheap sunglasses. But not for long for these reasons:

  • You may not notice it, but often inexpensive sunglasses are not 100% optically correct. And that means they’re acting slightly as corrective lenses… and that’s not good, if your eyesight is fine.
  • Most cheap sunglasses may block basic UV light, but they won’t cover all the bases. Not only that, but if they’ve got a dark tint, you’re being deceived on protection.
  • Some cheap eyeglasses will shatter, even when made of a polymer.

Your eyes are highly valuable. Better off spending more and buying sunglasses from a trusted brand. Just get into the habit of caring for your sunglasses. Get a carry case. Scratch free microfiber cloth. And be mindful of how you use them, so that they don’t end up lost. I bought a great pair of 100% optically correct Nikon aviator sunglasses. Spring loaded hinges. Super tough stems that can be bent slightly. They were $200 new, but I got them on sale. That was back in 1999. I still have them, because I take care of them.

gchart
gchart's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 21 min ago
Joined: 03/19/2016 - 11:57
Posts: 3158
Location: Central IL

xevious wrote:
That was back in 1999. I still have them, because I take care of them.

Yup. I’ve learned that everywhere my (Maui Jim) sunglasses goes, so goes my hard case that came with them along with the microfiber pouch. As soon as they come off my face, the go right into the pouch and then the case. No exceptions!
pennzy
pennzy's picture
Online
Last seen: 9 min 37 sec ago
Joined: 12/10/2017 - 19:45
Posts: 3825
Location: United States , Pa.

Transition lenses. No more sunglasses.

Souichirou
Souichirou's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 41 min ago
Joined: 04/05/2019 - 21:32
Posts: 692
pennzy wrote:
Transition lenses. No more sunglasses.

The concept is “Okay” sure it takes like 20-30 seconds for them to darken when outside BUT it takes anywhere from 5-10 mins to return to being clear and that would be horribly inconvenient if you say were heading to a meeting etc.

The other issue is if people are driving with most transition lenses, they generally react and change with UV exposure BUT most if not all windshields block around 96% of UV rays so the transition lenses wouldn’t darken.

xevious
xevious's picture
Online
Last seen: 2 min 57 sec ago
Joined: 02/27/2013 - 21:55
Posts: 2546
Location: Hoboken, NJ USA

gchart wrote:
xevious wrote:
That was back in 1999. I still have them, because I take care of them.

Yup. I’ve learned that everywhere my (Maui Jim) sunglasses goes, so goes my hard case that came with them along with the microfiber pouch. As soon as they come off my face, the go right into the pouch and then the case. No exceptions!
Yep, Maui Jim has some very nice sunglasses, especially the frames. Good idea on the case & cloth. When you have those on hand, you tend to put your sunglasses away when not in use. And then it’s much harder to lose them.

Pages