Image Boss! (no politics, no sexy pics) Have fun. ❤️

2111 posts / 0 new
Last post
Pilotboy
Pilotboy's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 22 min ago
Joined: 10/17/2020 - 23:14
Posts: 241
Location: England

Did someone order a dose of nightmare fuel?

I present to you……. the Creatonotos gangis moth.


You’re welcome.

Hank33
Hank33's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 days 3 hours ago
Joined: 11/22/2019 - 16:00
Posts: 1405
Location: Vancouver, B.C.

Stalk-Eyed Fly

raccoon city
raccoon city's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 31 min ago
Joined: 10/06/2010 - 02:35
Posts: 17283
Location: रॅकून सिटी Palm Desert CA USA

Hmm...

Not much interest in weird insects.

The new Image Boss is Pilotboy for this super creepy moth.  :BEER:

Pilotboy wrote:

Pilotboy
Pilotboy's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 22 min ago
Joined: 10/17/2020 - 23:14
Posts: 241
Location: England

Thanks raccoon city!

There is nothing more peaceful and relaxing than staring into space on a clear night, and contemplating the sheer size and beauty of the universe.

I would love to see beautiful astronomy photos .

raccoon city
raccoon city's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 31 min ago
Joined: 10/06/2010 - 02:35
Posts: 17283
Location: रॅकून सिटी Palm Desert CA USA

UV image of the Helix Nebula

astronomy1

maniakman
maniakman's picture
Offline
Last seen: 28 min 41 sec ago
Joined: 07/27/2020 - 15:27
Posts: 91
Location: NC

“Pillars of Creation” (visible light)
by NASA, ESA/Hubble and the Hubble Heritage Team.

Pilotboy
Pilotboy's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 22 min ago
Joined: 10/17/2020 - 23:14
Posts: 241
Location: England
maniakman wrote:
“Pillars of Creation” (visible light) by NASA, ESA/Hubble and the Hubble Heritage Team.

Ahah The Pillars of Creation. The most famous image taken with the Hubble telescope, a truly magnificent picture!

jeff51
jeff51's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 24 min ago
Joined: 03/26/2019 - 17:36
Posts: 1234
Location: Middle of Texas

Not nearly as impressive. But my fav Hubble image is the deep field one.
A patch of empty dark sky about the size of a dime at arms length (if I remember right).
Stack hours/days of exposure and you get 10,000 galaxies!
This is the best reason I believe that we can not be alone…
All the Best,
Jeff

Pilotboy
Pilotboy's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 22 min ago
Joined: 10/17/2020 - 23:14
Posts: 241
Location: England

jeff51 wrote:
Not nearly as impressive. But my fav Hubble image is the deep field one.
A patch of empty dark sky about the size of a dime at arms length (if I remember right).
Stack hours/days of exposure and you get 10,000 galaxies!
This is the best reason I believe that we can not be alone…
All the Best,
Jeff

Absolutely stunning! Each galaxy has about 100 million stars……. mind blown!

Do you get any low light pollution nice starry nights in Texas?

Hank33
Hank33's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 days 3 hours ago
Joined: 11/22/2019 - 16:00
Posts: 1405
Location: Vancouver, B.C.

The Helix Nebula is a planetary nebula located in the constellation Aquarius.

Rexlion
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 22 hours ago
Joined: 05/18/2019 - 16:59
Posts: 1048
Location: Okla.

Think of how much power it must have taken to form all of those galaxies and place them where they are now.

== We save the planet from darkness ==

Lightbringer
Lightbringer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 19 min ago
Joined: 08/30/2016 - 14:12
Posts: 15878
Location: nyc
Rexlion wrote:
Think of how much power it must have taken to form all of those galaxies and place them where they are now.

At least 50W-60W, maybe even more! Shocked

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

CRC
CRC's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 45 min ago
Joined: 06/11/2021 - 23:30
Posts: 349

maniakman wrote:
“Pillars of Creation” (visible light)
by NASA, ESA/Hubble and the Hubble Heritage Team.

Ha, so thats where Origin got their album cover.

jeff51
jeff51's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 24 min ago
Joined: 03/26/2019 - 17:36
Posts: 1234
Location: Middle of Texas

Pilotboy wrote:
jeff51 wrote:
Not nearly as impressive. But my fav Hubble image is the deep field one.
A patch of empty dark sky about the size of a dime at arms length (if I remember right).
Stack hours/days of exposure and you get 10,000 galaxies!
This is the best reason I believe that we can not be alone…
All the Best,
Jeff

Absolutely stunning! Each galaxy has about 100 million stars……. mind blown!

Do you get any low light pollution nice starry nights in Texas?


Not in town. A little way out of town is pretty good viewing. We are about 2800ft elevation
But about 3 Hrs. drive from here is Ft. Davis. 5k Ft elevation.
There is an observatory on the scenic loop through the mountains (6250Ft,).
https://mcdonaldobservatory.org

A real dark sky area.

Also home of the Texas Star Party.
https://texasstarparty.org/
I’ve been to a few of these many (many) years ago. At that time some amateurs brought some amazing scopes. And usually they are happy to show them off.

Farther south across the mountains from Alpine – between the Mtns. and south through Big Bend park to the Mexican border…
Dark skies for sure.
When I go down there I’m always amazed at the night sky. Looking up is truly a wonder.
Us civilized folk forget what it’s like. No wonder myths and stories grew around such a sight.
All the Best,
Jeff

Also the whole area around Big Bend north past Ft. Davis is part of a Dark Sky reserve.
And it’s clear skies usually. 205 sunny days average in Ft, Davis.

raccoon city
raccoon city's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 31 min ago
Joined: 10/06/2010 - 02:35
Posts: 17283
Location: रॅकून सिटी Palm Desert CA USA

“Painted Hills”. With very little light pollution, the glimmering stars of the Milky Way bathe the colourful layers of the Painted Hills of Oregon in a natural glow.

astronomy2

Hank33
Hank33's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 days 3 hours ago
Joined: 11/22/2019 - 16:00
Posts: 1405
Location: Vancouver, B.C.

Supernova Remnant LMC N 63A in X-Ray, Optical, and Radio.

Pilotboy
Pilotboy's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 22 min ago
Joined: 10/17/2020 - 23:14
Posts: 241
Location: England

jeff51 wrote:
Pilotboy wrote:
jeff51 wrote:
Not nearly as impressive. But my fav Hubble image is the deep field one.
A patch of empty dark sky about the size of a dime at arms length (if I remember right).
Stack hours/days of exposure and you get 10,000 galaxies!
This is the best reason I believe that we can not be alone…
All the Best,
Jeff

Absolutely stunning! Each galaxy has about 100 million stars……. mind blown!

Do you get any low light pollution nice starry nights in Texas?


Not in town. A little way out of town is pretty good viewing. We are about 2800ft elevation
But about 3 Hrs. drive from here is Ft. Davis. 5k Ft elevation.
There is an observatory on the scenic loop through the mountains (6250Ft,).
https://mcdonaldobservatory.org

A real dark sky area.

Also home of the Texas Star Party.
https://texasstarparty.org/
I’ve been to a few of these many (many) years ago. At that time some amateurs brought some amazing scopes. And usually they are happy to show them off.

Farther south across the mountains from Alpine – between the Mtns. and south through Big Bend park to the Mexican border…
Dark skies for sure.
When I go down there I’m always amazed at the night sky. Looking up is truly a wonder.
Us civilized folk forget what it’s like. No wonder myths and stories grew around such a sight.
All the Best,
Jeff

Also the whole area around Big Bend north past Ft. Davis is part of a Dark Sky reserve.
And it’s clear skies usually. 205 sunny days average in Ft, Davis.

Fantastic!

I’m glad you have the opportunity to properly enjoy and appreciate the beautiful night sky.
Most of my friends are pretty clueless when it comes to astronomy. One of my friends thought the sun is the same size as the moon, and it speeds round earth every 24 hours!

Lightbringer
Lightbringer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 19 min ago
Joined: 08/30/2016 - 14:12
Posts: 15878
Location: nyc
Pilotboy wrote:
One of my friends thought the sun is the same size as the moon, and it speeds round earth every 24 hours!

You saying it isn’t, and doesn’t??

Heretic! Burn, witch! Burn!

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Pilotboy
Pilotboy's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 22 min ago
Joined: 10/17/2020 - 23:14
Posts: 241
Location: England

Wow! So many amazing pictures!

This is a genuinely difficult decision. Here are my three favourites entries:

Hank33 – Helix Nebula
maniakman – Pillars of Creation
raccoon city – Painted hills

But I have to pick one so, Congratulations……. maniakman! Beer Those pillars are truly mind blowing!

Rexlion
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 22 hours ago
Joined: 05/18/2019 - 16:59
Posts: 1048
Location: Okla.

Pilotboy wrote:
I’m glad you have the opportunity to properly enjoy and appreciate the beautiful night sky.
Most of my friends are pretty clueless when it comes to astronomy. One of my friends thought the sun is the same size as the moon, and it speeds round earth every 24 hours!
Your education system must be just as screwed up as ours!

== We save the planet from darkness ==

maniakman
maniakman's picture
Offline
Last seen: 28 min 41 sec ago
Joined: 07/27/2020 - 15:27
Posts: 91
Location: NC

Thanks!
Let’s stick with the space theme:
Show me cool pics of humanity’s quest to reach out to the stars.

raccoon city
raccoon city's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 31 min ago
Joined: 10/06/2010 - 02:35
Posts: 17283
Location: रॅकून सिटी Palm Desert CA USA

space11

 

maniakman
maniakman's picture
Offline
Last seen: 28 min 41 sec ago
Joined: 07/27/2020 - 15:27
Posts: 91
Location: NC

Check out this video when you have good audio…

jeff51
jeff51's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 24 min ago
Joined: 03/26/2019 - 17:36
Posts: 1234
Location: Middle of Texas

Pilotboy wrote:
I’m glad you have the opportunity to properly enjoy and appreciate the beautiful night sky.
Most of my friends are pretty clueless when it comes to astronomy. One of my friends thought the sun is the same size as the moon, and it speeds round earth every 24 hours!

I try to be there during the Perseids Meteor Shower. Haven’t made in the last few years.
There is a ranch I can visit and sit out in a lawn chair, listen to the coyotes sing, and watch the show.
Cheese plate, French bread, vintage Port, and cigar round out the evening.
From the top of a high bluff I can see the mountains in Mexico on a clear day with binoculars.
All the Best,
Jeff
Hank33
Hank33's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 days 3 hours ago
Joined: 11/22/2019 - 16:00
Posts: 1405
Location: Vancouver, B.C.

.

pennzy
pennzy's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 45 min ago
Joined: 12/10/2017 - 19:45
Posts: 4015
Location: United States , Pa.

jeff51 wrote:
Pilotboy wrote:
I’m glad you have the opportunity to properly enjoy and appreciate the beautiful night sky.
Most of my friends are pretty clueless when it comes to astronomy. One of my friends thought the sun is the same size as the moon, and it speeds round earth every 24 hours!

I try to be there during the Perseids Meteor Shower. Haven’t made in the last few years.
There is a ranch I can visit and sit out in a lawn chair, listen to the coyotes sing, and watch the show.
Cheese plate, French bread, vintage Port, and cigar round out the evening.
From the top of a high bluff I can see the mountains in Mexico on a clear day with binoculars.
All the Best,
Jeff

Sounds delightful.
northbeard
Online
Last seen: 6 min 54 sec ago
Joined: 11/22/2017 - 14:36
Posts: 329
Location: West Coast, eh?

Buzz Aldrin, by Neil Armstrong

Hank33
Hank33's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 days 3 hours ago
Joined: 11/22/2019 - 16:00
Posts: 1405
Location: Vancouver, B.C.

.

raccoon city
raccoon city's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 31 min ago
Joined: 10/06/2010 - 02:35
Posts: 17283
Location: रॅकून सिटी Palm Desert CA USA

space12

 

xevious
xevious's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 6 min ago
Joined: 02/27/2013 - 21:55
Posts: 2675
Location: Hoboken, NJ USA

northbeard wrote:
Very wild. Do you see the face in the reef?

Pages