Wurkkos WK30 with UV395 vs Wurkkos WK30 with UV365 LED comparison

10 posts / 0 new
Last post
d_t_a
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 32 min ago
Joined: 08/04/2017 - 23:58
Posts: 2626
Location: Manila, Philippines
Wurkkos WK30 with UV395 vs Wurkkos WK30 with UV365 LED comparison

Got my hands on a new Wurkkos WK30 which comes with the UV365 LED.

Did some comparison shots..

 

left: UV395 ;  right: UV365

 

(side comment: the UV365 LED seems to have a fair amount of visible white light, but it appears to be UV365, similar to Convoy S2 with LG UV365)

 

zoom in (UV395)

 

zoom in (UV365)

 

sample shots on our currency:

 

left bill has the WK30 (UV395), while right bill has the WK30 (UV365)

 

 

now reverse:

left bill has the WK30 (UV365) ; right bill has the WK30 (UV395)

~~~~

 

have done a short video (3 minutes, no audio commentary) with the Wurkkos WK30 (UV395) vs Wurkkos (UV365) vs Convoy S2+ (Nichia UV365 + ZWB2 filter)

 (text commentary: 1st flashlight tested on the bills is the WK30 UV395, 2nd flashlight tested is the WK30 UV365, and the 3rd flashlight is the S2+ (Nichia UV365 with ZWB2 filter)

 (on the later half of the video, 2 flashlights are used at the same time to show the difference)

 

 

Edited by: d_t_a on 06/21/2020 - 09:51
jimahi
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 59 min ago
Joined: 10/17/2015 - 08:25
Posts: 177
Location: Pacific NW

Thanks for your comparison! It looks like you can easily see a difference on the surface die pattern of the different UV emitters. It looks like the one I got from Amazon US has the new 365 emitter. Unfortunately, the red and UV emitters are horribly off center. The white one isn’t as bad. Yours looks a lot more centered.

Scientist
Scientist's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 days 15 hours ago
Joined: 07/24/2017 - 13:33
Posts: 329
Location: Out standing in my field NY

Thanks for the nice comparison. A couple of comments. The 395nm led has enough emission in the visible that you see a lot of purple light. Wearing yellow filter glasses when using this is helpful for two reasons. One is too filter out the purple light so you can see the fluorescence better. The second is to protect your eyes from reflected UV. A lot of the whitish light you see from the 365nm led is actually fluorescence of various things. Best to wear protective glasses with this one too, although I would use clear lenses.

Please illuminate responsibly
Part time fragmented conciousness technician

UV triple using Sofirn C8F
395nm High Power LED in Sofirn SC31b

d_t_a
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 32 min ago
Joined: 08/04/2017 - 23:58
Posts: 2626
Location: Manila, Philippines
Scientist wrote:
Thanks for the nice comparison. A couple of comments. The 395nm led has enough emission in the visible that you see a lot of purple light. Wearing yellow filter glasses when using this is helpful for two reasons. One is too filter out the purple light so you can see the fluorescence better. The second is to protect your eyes from reflected UV. A lot of the whitish light you see from the 365nm led is actually fluorescence of various things. Best to wear protective glasses with this one too, although I would use clear lenses.

Thanks for the advice!

So if I understand correctly, yellow-tint polarized “anti-glare” glass works best for UV395 (purple tint)
while clear polarized glasses will work for UV365…

I have a question, since I wear prescription eyeglasses (nearsightedness + astigmatism) and assuming the eyeglass is “photochromic” (darkens with UV), is this good enough for UV395/UV365?
(I understand it takes a bit of time, several seconds, for the “photochromic” glass to darken with UV, but I think the eyeglasses are ‘polarized’, so it offers protection against UV (UV395 or UV365) — would that be correct?

Lightbringer
Lightbringer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 56 min 41 sec ago
Joined: 08/30/2016 - 14:12
Posts: 15885
Location: nyc

In the dark, shine the UV light at anything that fluoresces. Then stick the lens in front of the light. If the thing still fluoresces, the lens is no good. If the thing doesn’t fluoresce anymore, the lens is good.

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Scientist
Scientist's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 days 15 hours ago
Joined: 07/24/2017 - 13:33
Posts: 329
Location: Out standing in my field NY

d_t_a wrote:
Thanks for the advice!

So if I understand correctly, yellow-tint polarized “anti-glare” glass works best for UV395 (purple tint)
while clear polarized glasses will work for UV365…

I have a question, since I wear prescription eyeglasses (nearsightedness + astigmatism) and assuming the eyeglass is “photochromic” (darkens with UV), is this good enough for UV395/UV365?
(I understand it takes a bit of time, several seconds, for the “photochromic” glass to darken with UV, but I think the eyeglasses are ‘polarized’, so it offers protection against UV (UV395 or UV365) — would that be correct?

Just to be clear, I was suggesting wearing yellow filter glasses when using the 395nm led, not using a filter on the flashlight. The use of photochromic glasses with UV is unfamiliar to me, however I would suggest that anything that darkens will just make the fluorescence you want to observe dimmer. However if they darken they should absorb the UV and protect your eyes. As Lightbringer has suggested just try shining the beam through the glasses and see if it passes through. You usually don’t need the yellow filter glasses for 365nm use, as there is much less purple light.

Please illuminate responsibly
Part time fragmented conciousness technician

UV triple using Sofirn C8F
395nm High Power LED in Sofirn SC31b

Boro
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 59 min ago
Joined: 02/03/2012 - 15:52
Posts: 727
Lightbringer wrote:
In the dark, shine the UV light at anything that fluoresces. Then stick the lens in front of the light. If the thing still fluoresces, the lens is no good. If the thing doesn’t fluoresce anymore, the lens is good.

Helpful tip, thanks.

story
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 30 min ago
Joined: 06/19/2021 - 18:22
Posts: 75
Location: Canada

What’s the diameter of the UV pill? I want to add a ZWB2 to it.

Camaro
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 10 hours ago
Joined: 06/27/2021 - 12:48
Posts: 100
Location: Ontario, Canada

I’m glad that Wurkkos switched from 395nm to 365nm, got me off the fence to order the light.

When I did some research on UV wavelengths I could see why they went with 395nm originally as it gives higher emissions, but the purple tinge overpowered the benefit. 365 gives lower, but more visible, emissions.

Thanks for the review, confirmed by suspicions.

Lightbringer
Lightbringer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 56 min 41 sec ago
Joined: 08/30/2016 - 14:12
Posts: 15885
Location: nyc

Yabbut, without the filter, the 365 has an eerie greenish-white spillover instead. No idea why people claim they have “less VUS leakage”, as it’s very distinctive and distracting to me.

At least the 395 with purple spillover is on the far end of the VIS spectrum, so is much much much less distracting.

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0