The Magic Crytal LED Car Bulb review!

100 posts / 0 new
Last post

Pages

luminarium iaculator
luminarium iaculator's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 42 min ago
Joined: 07/07/2013 - 09:09
Posts: 2247
Location: X
The Magic Crytal LED Car Bulb review!

I decided to upgrade car and I bought this Magic Crystal H7 Low beam LED “bulb”.

It is declared as 100W and 25000 lumens 6500k cold white light. 300% Brightness comparing to Halogen bulb!

Diagram looks like this:



Testing subject is VW Passat B8(2015.) with reflector headlights:
Car lowest headlight settings:

Middle settings:

Highest low beam settings:

Tint Test: Left is real cold white tinted On The Road Zoomie flashlight.

How it looks on my car:

What I can say? This is certainly not 6500k cold white tinted light as declared. It is probably 5000- K light natural white. It is green tinted(but in reality it does not look that green as on these pictures taken with phone auto settings).

Is it brighter than halogen? Yes! I see much better with this lights than with Philips White Vision H7 Halogen!
How much brighter? Well Phillips White Vision is probably the best H7 Halogen light bulb in a world and it is brighter than it! How much? Well it is certainly not 300% brighter. I would say it maybe 20-40% brighter (really hard to tell) .
Does it have dark spots: NO! This bulb does not create any dark spots in reflector headlight beam. It produce nice and even beam as you can see on pictures!
Does it have declared values? No way of course LOL… This is probably 50W- 10000- lumen light bulb but nevertheless it is nice upgrade over Halogen H7.

Does it blinds other car drivers? After driving this for 1000km in night conditions I did not got even single blink from anyone. And I am driving in highest possible light position.

I did some redneck tests:
- First test was with IR thermal meter and this bulb tested on the table conditions. In such conditions bulb temperature will go from 80-90°C after 10-15minutes
- Second thermal test was done when I installed this bulbs into car reflector headlight and in such conditions temperature of bulb drastically drops(better heat sinking I guess when installed in reflector) so it goes from 45-65°C in about 30min test, steady non moving car.

What is good with this design?:
- Large 25mm DTP MCPCB on aluminum heatsink with active cooling
- This is basically like larger Flashlight Pill!

I will report how it goes or if anything gets broken. Because if everything will be ok be i plan to take H9 High beam bulbs also. So far so good…

P.S.
As you can see by bulb diagram this thing has modding potential! I don’t know which type of LED is used on this bulb but I am just wondering what if we swapp it with highest surface brightness emitter on market? Would that increase brightness of that Magic Crystal? I have opinion that high lumen LED in this setup is not giving full potential to this bulb.

Edited by: luminarium iaculator on 01/14/2022 - 17:12
cetary
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 5 min ago
Joined: 10/28/2018 - 20:41
Posts: 224
Location: virginia

Could we know what part of the world you live in? These retrofit bulbs are illegal here in the U.S. LEDs do not emit light like a halogen lamp. They move the light source out of alignment with the designed focal point of reflectors and projectors. This winds up creating a huge amount of stray light and disability glare, not to mention the blue-light induced glare of 6500K LEDs. For that first reason, they may be “legal” in other countries but not in the US.

manithree
manithree's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 18 min ago
Joined: 01/12/2013 - 01:08
Posts: 639
Location: Orem, UT, USA
cetary wrote:
Could we know what part of the world you live in? These retrofit bulbs are illegal here in the U.S.

Can you provide a link to the federal statute that makes those illegal in the US?

luminarium iaculator
luminarium iaculator's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 42 min ago
Joined: 07/07/2013 - 09:09
Posts: 2247
Location: X

Europe or better to say European Union.

Phillips seems to be legal everywhere?

I also should mention that there are also 360 degree LED lights to correct all mentioned sympthoms if needed:

This is the newest design of 360 degree light which seems to use classic 20 or 16mm DTP mcpcb beneath “Superman Crystal” Smile :

Lightbringer
Lightbringer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 12 hours 17 min ago
Joined: 08/30/2016 - 14:12
Posts: 16119
Location: nyc

Me personally, I just won’t replace the hotwire bulbs for one simple reason: to fit the fan, braids, whatever, I’d have to leave off the dust-covers, and nfw am I doing that.

There was one set of pricey lights that let you physically adjust the “filament” placement to make sure it’s accurately focused, but I’d still pass. Hotwire bulbs are more efficient when the heat’s bottled up, but not LEDs.

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Lumen9000
Lumen9000's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 7 min ago
Joined: 09/02/2021 - 09:14
Posts: 190
Location: Sweden

I’ve seen these with double xhp 70 on Alix or something like that. Didn’t cost that much even. Talk about an upgrade! If you can get it to focus that is…

X Ray
X Ray's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 1 day ago
Joined: 11/22/2021 - 04:40
Posts: 79
Location: Footsteps from the Alamo

Deleted

TK35 xm-l t6  IF22A sft-40  TT20 sst-70  T2 xhp70.2  FW1A xp-l hi  FW4A xp-l hi  FW21 X9L sbt90.2  FW21 Pro xhp50.2  MS03W xhp70.2  R60C sst-70  MS08 xhp70.2  MS18W xhp70.2

MtnDon
MtnDon's picture
Offline
Last seen: 23 min 11 sec ago
Joined: 08/27/2015 - 18:25
Posts: 4060
Location: Canuk in NM

manithree wrote:

Can you provide a link to the federal statute that makes those illegal in the US?

I can’t point to the exact statute, but it is illegal to modify factory DOT-approved headlights Replacing the halogen bulb that were in the lights when they were approved with an led or any other type of lamp for that matter, is looked at as modifying. The bulb has to state that it is DOT approved and/or (?) state SAE Certified. There are a very few sellers of led replacement bulbs in the US that do state the led bulbs they sell are only sold for off road use.

Yes, the US has always been slow to adopt improved headlights. EU used halogen bulb headlights years, decades, before they were legal in the US.

Under US law it is not even legal to install one of the improved EU headlights in an US registered vehicle, even if it fits, unless it is US-approved. This is really too bad as some EU-rated cars have vastly superior headlights.

The recently passed infrastructure bill has a mention of within two years the headlight rules must be ammended. We’ll see. Meanwhile, there are already millions of illegal led headlights sold and presumed installed. And nearly every evening that I may be out in the dark I think I meet some of them on the highway.

luminarium iaculator
luminarium iaculator's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 42 min ago
Joined: 07/07/2013 - 09:09
Posts: 2247
Location: X

Lightbringer wrote:
Me personally, I just won’t replace the hotwire bulbs for one simple reason: to fit the fan, braids, whatever, I’d have to leave off the dust-covers, and nfw am I doing that.

There was one set of pricey lights that let you physically adjust the “filament” placement to make sure it’s accurately focused, but I’d still pass. Hotwire bulbs are more efficient when the heat’s bottled up, but not LEDs.

I don’t know what car you have but those Phillips one with passive sink braids should fit every car like Cindirela shoes even with car lid closed. Only possible Canbus issues can happen.

phantom23
phantom23's picture
Offline
Last seen: 52 min 50 sec ago
Joined: 09/26/2011 - 17:39
Posts: 929

luminarium iaculator wrote:
Europe or better to say European Union.

It’s very illegal in the EU, reflectors in yuor car are homologated to a certain light source (for example halogen bulb) and only that type of bulb can be used. LED retrofits are illegal and they may get you in trouble much quicker than in the US.
luminarium iaculator
luminarium iaculator's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 42 min ago
Joined: 07/07/2013 - 09:09
Posts: 2247
Location: X
phantom23 wrote:
luminarium iaculator wrote:
Europe or better to say European Union.
It’s very illegal in the EU, reflectors in yuor car are homologated to a certain light source (for example halogen bulb) and only that type of bulb can be used. LED retrofits are illegal and they may get you in trouble much quicker than in the US.

No. It is not illegal. Phillips makes legal ones. But other are legal too. In Europe you can have LED lights Thumbs Up

Henk4U2
Henk4U2's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 17 min ago
Joined: 02/13/2014 - 17:52
Posts: 4220
Location: The heart of the Netherlands (GMT+1)

luminarium iaculator wrote:
Europe or better to say European Union.

Phillips seems to be legal everywhere?

If Philips manufactures H7 replacement lightbulbs that don’t mean they are approved all over the world. Cars and vital carparts can only be driven/used if they have a official European type aproval. But because of the EU, no matter what EU country has issued the approval, it is valid in the whole EU. The toughest approval authority is German, and the approval is not given for a specific type of bulb, be it the H4 or the H7, but for the retrofit of that bulb in a specific car (headlight).
So the manufacturers are going for the quick hits, eg the cars with the biggest volumes. At the moment I have retrofitted my lowbeam headlights with (for my car approved) Osram H7 led bulbs and I’m very satisfied. The difference is impressive, and I’m hardly feeling the urge to use my highbeam when there is no oncoming traffic.

You are a flashaholic if you are forced to come out of the closet, to make room for more flashlights.

luminarium iaculator
luminarium iaculator's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 42 min ago
Joined: 07/07/2013 - 09:09
Posts: 2247
Location: X

Henk4U2 wrote:
luminarium iaculator wrote:
Europe or better to say European Union.

Phillips seems to be legal everywhere?

If Philips manufactures H7 replacement lightbulbs that don’t mean they are approved all over the world. Cars and vital carparts can only be driven/used if they have a official European type aproval. But because of the EU, no matter what EU country has issued the approval, it is valid in the whole EU. The toughest approval authority is German, and the approval is not given for a specific type of bulb, be it the H4 or the H7, but for the retrofit of that bulb in a specific car (headlight).
So the manufacturers are going for the quick hits, eg the cars with the biggest volumes. At the moment I have retrofitted my lowbeam headlights with (for my car approved) Osram H7 led bulbs and I’m very satisfied. The difference is impressive, and I’m hardly feeling the urge to use my highbeam when there is no oncoming traffic.

Which Osram LED bulbs? Link them please.

luminarium iaculator
luminarium iaculator's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 42 min ago
Joined: 07/07/2013 - 09:09
Posts: 2247
Location: X
Lumen9000 wrote:
I’ve seen these with double xhp 70 on Alix or something like that. Didn’t cost that much even. Talk about an upgrade! If you can get it to focus that is…

Yeah there are really XHP 50, XHP 70, XHP 70.2 ×2 LED bulbs as you mentioned (we could dedome them LOL ) .

cetary
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 5 min ago
Joined: 10/28/2018 - 20:41
Posts: 224
Location: virginia
manithree wrote:
cetary wrote:
Could we know what part of the world you live in? These retrofit bulbs are illegal here in the U.S.

Can you provide a link to the federal statute that makes those illegal in the US?

You can read some of the United States Department of Transportation’s statements on the subject here , here , here , and here. It should be noted that while these memos talk about HID kits the same rules still apply to LED kits see here. The same issues with LED are still present. You have to physically match the light emission of a wound filament with a square LED for the headlight optics to work correctly. That isn’t physically possible. This isn’t like a table lamp you can swap the bulbs on. This is more like you putting on someone else’s glasses.

phantom23
phantom23's picture
Offline
Last seen: 52 min 50 sec ago
Joined: 09/26/2011 - 17:39
Posts: 929

luminarium iaculator wrote:

No. It is not illegal. Phillips makes legal ones. But other are legal too. In Europe you can have LED lights Thumbs Up

Henk4U2 wrote:
Cars and vital carparts can only be driven/used if they have a official European type aproval. But because of the EU, no matter what EU country has issued the approval, it is valid in the whole EU. The toughest approval authority is German, and the approval is not given for a specific type of bulb, be it the H4 or the H7, but for the retrofit of that bulb in a specific car (headlight).

You’re both incorrect. Philips and Osram have regional approvals. They apply to a specific retrofit model in a specific car reflector and more importantly they’re not valid within the rest of the EU – homologation is but what Philips and Osram are getting is just a local approval/certificate. They’re strictly country dependent (as for now mostly in Germany and a little bit in Austria), if you live in France it’s illegal to use them, if you live in Germany you can use them (if your car is certified) but you cannot drive outside the country otherwise you’ll be fined.
luminarium iaculator
luminarium iaculator's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 42 min ago
Joined: 07/07/2013 - 09:09
Posts: 2247
Location: X
phantom23 wrote:
luminarium iaculator wrote:
No. It is not illegal. Phillips makes legal ones. But other are legal too. In Europe you can have LED lights Thumbs Up
Henk4U2 wrote:
Cars and vital carparts can only be driven/used if they have a official European type aproval. But because of the EU, no matter what EU country has issued the approval, it is valid in the whole EU. The toughest approval authority is German, and the approval is not given for a specific type of bulb, be it the H4 or the H7, but for the retrofit of that bulb in a specific car (headlight).
You’re both incorrect. Philips and Osram have regional approvals. They apply to a specific retrofit model in a specific car reflector and more importantly they’re not valid within the rest of the EU – homologation is but what Philips and Osram are getting is just a local approval/certificate. They’re strictly country dependent (as for now mostly in Germany and a little bit in Austria), if you live in France it’s illegal to use them, if you live in Germany you can use them (if your car is certified) but you cannot drive outside the country otherwise you’ll be fined.
phantom23 wrote:
It’s very illegal in the EU, reflectors in yuor car are homologated to a certain light source (for example halogen bulb) and only that type of bulb can be used. LED retrofits are illegal and they may get you in trouble much quicker than in the US.

Well it seem that all 3 of us are wrong LOL . You see that you can use them in certain countries after all Thumbs Up

Lightbringer
Lightbringer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 12 hours 17 min ago
Joined: 08/30/2016 - 14:12
Posts: 16119
Location: nyc
luminarium iaculator wrote:
I don’t know what car you have but those Phillips one with passive sink braids should fit every car like Cindirela shoes even with car lid closed.

Those braids still gotta stick out somewhere to dissipate heat, vs being kept tucked into the headlight assembly.

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Agro
Agro's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 27 min ago
Joined: 05/14/2017 - 11:16
Posts: 6928
Location: Ślōnsk

phantom23 wrote:
luminarium iaculator wrote:

No. It is not illegal. Phillips makes legal ones. But other are legal too. In Europe you can have LED lights Thumbs Up

Henk4U2 wrote:
Cars and vital carparts can only be driven/used if they have a official European type aproval. But because of the EU, no matter what EU country has issued the approval, it is valid in the whole EU. The toughest approval authority is German, and the approval is not given for a specific type of bulb, be it the H4 or the H7, but for the retrofit of that bulb in a specific car (headlight).

You’re both incorrect. Philips and Osram have regional approvals. They apply to a specific retrofit model in a specific car reflector and more importantly they’re not valid within the rest of the EU – homologation is but what Philips and Osram are getting is just a local approval/certificate. They’re strictly country dependent (as for now mostly in Germany and a little bit in Austria), if you live in France it’s illegal to use them, if you live in Germany you can use them (if your car is certified) but you cannot drive outside the country otherwise you’ll be fined.

Do you have some sources for that info?
Several months ago I talked with a former Philips manager who worked on their car bulbs. We discussed legalese briefly and what I got from there was that they had EU-wide approval. But maybe I got it wrong. And I can’t find evidence of it being either way quickly.
ADDED: a longer search confirmed, polish Osram and Philips website both state that their LED bulbs don’t have ECE approval. That’s a bummer. Sad
Henk4U2
Henk4U2's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 17 min ago
Joined: 02/13/2014 - 17:52
Posts: 4220
Location: The heart of the Netherlands (GMT+1)
Agro wrote:
phantom23 wrote:
luminarium iaculator wrote:
No. It is not illegal. Phillips makes legal ones. But other are legal too. In Europe you can have LED lights Thumbs Up
Henk4U2 wrote:
Cars and vital carparts can only be driven/used if they have a official European type aproval. But because of the EU, no matter what EU country has issued the approval, it is valid in the whole EU. The toughest approval authority is German, and the approval is not given for a specific type of bulb, be it the H4 or the H7, but for the retrofit of that bulb in a specific car (headlight).
You’re both incorrect. Philips and Osram have regional approvals. They apply to a specific retrofit model in a specific car reflector and more importantly they’re not valid within the rest of the EU – homologation is but what Philips and Osram are getting is just a local approval/certificate. They’re strictly country dependent (as for now mostly in Germany and a little bit in Austria), if you live in France it’s illegal to use them, if you live in Germany you can use them (if your car is certified) but you cannot drive outside the country otherwise you’ll be fined.
Do you have some sources for that info? Several months ago I talked with a former Philips manager who worked on their car bulbs. We discussed legalese briefly and what I got from there was that they had EU-wide approval. But maybe I got it wrong. And I can’t find evidence of it being either way quickly. ADDED: a longer search confirmed, polish Osram and Philips website both state that their LED bulbs don’t have ECE approval. That’s a bummer. Sad

My bad, apologies for that. I was right about the cars, if approved by one of the national institutes, it is approved for all countries in the EU (and of the EFTA). But when it is about carparts: these must be approved by any country you want to sell them.
Just another fine example of the advantages for us common people of having an EU. And for me: I leave the retrofit ledbulbs just where they are until it’s time for my next MOT. Test by consumer organisations (ADAC & ANWB) have proven that ledbulbs offer more visibility for the driver and less blinding for the oncoming traffic.

You are a flashaholic if you are forced to come out of the closet, to make room for more flashlights.

luminarium iaculator
luminarium iaculator's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 42 min ago
Joined: 07/07/2013 - 09:09
Posts: 2247
Location: X

Guys. I would say Just do it. There are guys with modded HID lights out there which blinding everybody on the street. So if they manage to pass yearly Car inspection test without any fines I certainly refuse to be worried about LED bulb.

Even if car inspector decides that you have illegal stuff he will just warn you to replace it (and then you replace it with halogen H7 bulb) and when you replace it and pass the inspection put freaking LED bulb inside afterwards Thumbs Up

I used my BLF and modding experience and my logic (no matter for youtube reviews) and I ordered this type of LED bulb link:

Why I have choosen this?
Well it is obvious choice since this is the most similar to our flashlight system.
It has active fan cooling with 20 or 16mm DTP board( I don’t know this data) with single quad Osram emitter that is projecting beam into real 360 degree quartz crystal tube and that should evenly spread light in a car reflector for same beam pattern as halogen H7 bulb but with much better and brighter 6000k light.

One emitter on round DTP board(and cooling fan beneath ) is better solution than 2 emitters on those 2 sided square DTP boards, or better than other 360 degrees light I saw with 10 or more emitters on very top of DTP board.

I think it could be modded if needed to LOL , and if I will not be happy how it will perform in a car I will mode my old my old Microfire Warrior HiD with it Thumbs Up

Look round DTP MCPCB with Osram inside Smile :

I am sure there are guys here who think this could actually have modding potential Evil

Ordered and on Slow boat from China so we will see Wink

phantom23
phantom23's picture
Offline
Last seen: 52 min 50 sec ago
Joined: 09/26/2011 - 17:39
Posts: 929

Unless the inspection will tell you that you failed, you have to replace the bulb and come again (and pay again).
Unless police is going to notice that you have blue light coming out of a classic reflector which means wrong light source. Alternatively during routine control (or if you’ll get a ticket) they may notice that the homologation print on the reflector says “H” which means halogen.
Unless you get into car accident (hopefully not!) and bulbs will be one of the first things that’s getting checked by the police or insurance appraise and then you’re screwed – you’re automatically guilty (I was blinded by him officer!) and you’ll have to pay for the repairs of both cars.

About the bulbs you chose – you made wrong decision. Quoting marketing BS doesn’t help. Light intensity at the end of the “magic crystal” is pretty low, you can expect reduced range compared to halogen bulb. What you’ll get is blueish light with low CRI that may get you in trouble.

luminarium iaculator
luminarium iaculator's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 42 min ago
Joined: 07/07/2013 - 09:09
Posts: 2247
Location: X

phantom23 wrote:
Unless the inspection will tell you that you failed, you have to replace the bulb and come again (and pay again).
Unless police is going to notice that you have blue light coming out of a classic reflector which means wrong light source. Alternatively during routine control (or if you’ll get a ticket) they may notice that the homologation print on the reflector says “H” which means halogen.
Unless you get into car accident (hopefully not!) and bulbs will be one of the first things that’s getting checked by the police or insurance appraise and then you’re screwed – you’re automatically guilty (I was blinded by him officer!) and you’ll have to pay for the repairs of both cars.

About the bulbs you chose – you made wrong decision. Quoting marketing BS doesn’t help. Light intensity at the end of the “magic crystal” is pretty low, you can expect reduced range compared to halogen bulb. What you’ll get is blueish light with low CRI that may get you in trouble.

If inspection tell that you failed you return with H7 halogen bulb. Pass inspection, and after that put LED inside again! You don’t have to pay single penny for additional inspection if you failed. You have 7-15 days deadline to repeat inspection.

I will pass inspection with LED bulb i am 100% convinced in that.

Now question for you:
1. How can police officer detect and determine what type of bulb do I have and what type of reflector do I use in a car? Police officers has smarter stuff to do and they don’t care for that.
2. There is no such thing as Homologation print on my reflector and even if there it is somewhere “beneath” Police officer can’t disassemble that without an warrant.
3. Police never checks freaking lights when car accident happens:
First thing in a car accident situation:
- If there is no medical assistance and fireman they help to people
- They secure place of an accident and call necessary services
- Collect all necessary data from people involved in a car accident
- Do alcotest and Drug test of participants
- Finally they do car crash report

Also you are pretty wrong with “magic crystal” too. Light should be much intense with extended range but I will have to test this. So far as you can see you have aliexpress reviews so people using that are not dumb either. They all report great improvement over halogen bulbs.

I disagree with almost everything you said…

Lightbringer
Lightbringer's picture
Offline
Last seen: 12 hours 17 min ago
Joined: 08/30/2016 - 14:12
Posts: 16119
Location: nyc

Can’t speak for anywhere else, but here in NYC these douchebags ride around with those idiotic 2×N lightbars right across the grille blinding everyone in sight, and never get pulled over, at least not for that. If a cop wants a pretext to pull you over, he certainly can, like, “I notice your lights seem ‘odd’, and I suspect they’re non-compliant, so…”, and then run your plates, reg, lic, etc. And then let you be on your way if you’re cool or toss a few tickets at you if you’re an ass.

That’s why practically everything else (turn, backup, markers, etc.) I long ago converted to LED, as they’re nigh-impossible to tell, but headlights are THE most visible and glaring (haha) light-source on the car, and even Andrea Bocelli would be able to tell if they’re Angry Blue and obviously not what came with the car from the OEM.

For lowbeams, you might be able to do the H-whatever to H-somethingelse conversion (snip tab, file notch, etc.) to get double the lemons for only 10W more, and still have the same exact filament placement., but at the expense of bulb-life.

For ages in my old car, I was running 90W/130W H4s that were still very well-behaved, and I never ever got flashed, let alone pulled over. And the capsules came with that blue film that I just scraped off anyway, so they had the legit look of real hotwire bulbs.

Just stuff to keep in mind… LOL

09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

luminarium iaculator
luminarium iaculator's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 42 min ago
Joined: 07/07/2013 - 09:09
Posts: 2247
Location: X

Yes,

As you told people with powerful diy lightbars are not only seen in USA but in Europe too and that is really idiotic to use in regular traffic… Mostly hunters of Jeep like vehicles have that…

Now Xenon and HiD are very intense angry blue lights and they are legal! There are no LED bulb on a market that can match their intensity so people don’t be worried about stupid regulations!

phantom23
phantom23's picture
Offline
Last seen: 52 min 50 sec ago
Joined: 09/26/2011 - 17:39
Posts: 929

luminarium iaculator wrote:

Now question for you:
1. How can police officer detect and determine what type of bulb do I have and what type of reflector do I use in a car? Police officers has smarter stuff to do and they don’t care for that.
2. There is no such thing as Homologation print on my reflector and even if there it is somewhere “beneath” Police officer can’t disassemble that without an warrant.
3. Police never checks freaking lights when car accident happens:

Ad. 1 and 2. Every single legal reflector has something like this:

HCR at the top means halogen low beam and high beam. Every police officer knows about it and they do check it quite often. One of my friends installed HID retrofit in his Audi A6, projector lens with nice cutoff line etc. He got caught in less than a week.

Ad. 3. They do in most cases, especially if someone was injured or it happened during the night.

luminarium iaculator
luminarium iaculator's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 42 min ago
Joined: 07/07/2013 - 09:09
Posts: 2247
Location: X

Phantom23,

I drive VW Passat B8 2015. and there is no such thing on mine car reflector. Such models(Passat B8) have Xenon, LED and Halogen headlights by default so they should never and ever suspect!

This reflector from your picture looks like old Lada or old Golf reflector?

You are worried to much, and HID kit is more intense than any LED and people with that are blinding everybody on the street since most have bad spread without suitable optics so even Andrea Bocelli could see that like Lightbringer mentioned. Tell your friend to install LED H7 bulb.

LED should be visibly weaker than Xenon or Hid but yet slightly more intense than Halogen.

phantom23
phantom23's picture
Offline
Last seen: 52 min 50 sec ago
Joined: 09/26/2011 - 17:39
Posts: 929

There were no xenons in B8 Passat and they will suspect because each reflector type in this model looks and operate differently.
Those markings are mandatory on every legal reflector.
HIDs make more light but they’re much easier to focus. LEDs produce different beam pattern which means they focus differently than regular bulbs. Usually it ends up with increased glare and shorter range especially in classic reflectors.
You will see more light right in front of the car but at the cost of shorter range.

Henk4U2
Henk4U2's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 17 min ago
Joined: 02/13/2014 - 17:52
Posts: 4220
Location: The heart of the Netherlands (GMT+1)

luminarium iaculator wrote:
Phantom23,

I drive VW Passat B8 2015. and there is no such thing on mine car reflector.

Please lift the bonnet (hood). It might be on the “edge” of the light housing. Which is nice of course, because you need some form of probable cause to lift the bonnet.

You are a flashaholic if you are forced to come out of the closet, to make room for more flashlights.

DOMEHAVEN
Offline
Last seen: 22 hours 26 min ago
Joined: 12/27/2020 - 11:36
Posts: 15
Location: NE

luminarium iaculator wrote:
Phantom23,

I drive VW Passat B8 2015. and there is no such thing on mine car reflector. Such models(Passat B8) have Xenon, LED and Halogen headlights by default so they should never and ever suspect!

This reflector from your picture looks like old Lada or old Golf reflector?

You are worried to much, and HID kit is more intense than any LED and people with that are blinding everybody on the street since most have bad spread without suitable optics so even Andrea Bocelli could see that like Lightbringer mentioned. Tell your friend to install LED H7 bulb.

LED should be visibly weaker than Xenon or Hid but yet slightly more intense than Halogen.

I drive a 2015 Subaru with factory HIDs and find them much less bright than the newer model cars that sport the latest OEM LED headlights! Given the wild disparity of bright white LED and yellow halogens seen on the roads, I would think it unlikely that you would be pulled over with 6000K LED retrofits that were aimed properly! I have been driving my 2009 Kawaski Concours with twin retrofitted LED bulbs for several years, never got stopped except the time I was speeding way over the limit. nary a mention of my headlamps!

luminarium iaculator
luminarium iaculator's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 42 min ago
Joined: 07/07/2013 - 09:09
Posts: 2247
Location: X

phantom23,
Man you are exaggerating in everything! And again wrong… How something will focus depends on reflector/optics and bulb design! You can’t claim stupid things like “HID focuses easier” this is not true and quite opposite from that you wrote! HID kit ends up with increased glare in classic reflector headlights while LED bulb should have beam pattern that depends on LED bulb design(as you see you have at least 5 different types of LED bulb design) and it is surely capable of giving even beam pattern with better looking less intense light than HID.

No one will ever suspect. And even if they “suspect” What they should suspect? This is no felony!

So question for you: Did you test any of LED “bulb” design in your car? If you did please tell us which car LED bulbs you used? If you did I could actually accept your opinion but if you did not use them I simply can’t accept opinion which is not empirically proved. That kind of opinion means nothing…

I opened this thread to see if there is any BLF member that could actually help me to choose car LED bulb and to help other BLF members in their choice. You are obviously not one of them Smile

DOMEHAVEN,

Thanks on experience with Police and LED. It is good to know that LED can be brighter than HID.
About “retrofits that is unlikely aimed properly”. I believe that it can focus same like Halogen if not better. Click my mentioned link for ordered light. Look at the photos people posted. Beam looks even and perfectly centered with my ordered model of LED bulb. How it will behave in my car reflector I still don’t know until I try.

Pages