[Review] -Wurkkos TS21 219C 5000k- By Argo

35 posts / 0 new
Last post

Pages

Argo
Argo's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 41 min ago
Joined: 07/06/2022 - 09:02
Posts: 93
Location: Italy
[Review] -Wurkkos TS21 219C 5000k- By Argo

1) Disclaimer
2) Premise
3) Introduction
4) Packaging
5) Materials, assembly, processing, finishes, anodizing
6) Specifications
7) User interface
8) User experience
9) LEDs, light output and beamshots
10) Conclusions
11) Aspects positive
12) Negative aspects
13) Neutral aspects
14) Final grade

 

1) Disclaimer

If my English is good, you can congratulate me. If my english is bad, you can blame google translate Wink

More and more often I find myself using flashlights during my excursions or in daily life, therefore I define myself as a user who has also become passionate over time.
In addition to indicating objective data and measurements, I will always try to be very clear in highlighting strengths and weaknesses, in explaining the impressions during use and what I would like to see or obtain.
All photos, info, measurements, unless otherwise indicated, are my own flour.
I do all this because I enjoy it, mine is a hobby and a pleasure, in life I do anything else, so I apologize in advance to the professionals of the sector, to the enthusiasts and to the simple users for the mistakes that surely are and will be present in mine pages.
If you notice errors, typos or have other reports to make, please let us know, I will be happy to update my pages with your reports.

 

2) Premise

The main reason why I bought this TS21 is because it was possible to choose Nichia 219C leds instead of the Luminus SST-20, which I own on other torches and which, although very good, are not among my favorite diodes. Also here we have a complete package with Anduril2 firmware, metal clip and the possibility of purchasing a short tube separately (the following photo is with the short tube) to use the flashlight with 18350 batteries.

 

3) Introduction

We are in the EDC category, that is tools to carry with you every day.
It is a very competitive category characterized by increasingly miniaturized and increasingly performing products.
The TS21 is no exception, despite being fitted with a 21700 battery as standard, it is quite compact, but I prefer it with the short tube because it makes it very light and pocket-sized.

 

4) Packaging:

The TS21 comes in the classic white and orange hardcover typical of the parent company.
Outside we find white labels that indicate the model and type of LED, while inside we have:
-torch
- bubble wrap
- instruction manual (English, German, Japanese and Chinese).
-2 spare o-rings
- lanyard
- usb-a / usb-c cable
- metallic clip
- the 21700 battery is not present because I ordered the version without.

On this occasion I added
- reducer tube
-2 18350 batteries
-2 diffusers one white and the other orange
- silicone rings

 

5) Materials, assembly, processing, finishes, anodizing:

The torch is made of aluminum in the classic black anodization.
The manual reports a type III type of anti-abrasive finish, but I ruined the anodizing when I mounted the clip on the short tube, you can see it in the photo.
The threads run smoothly, but on the short tube there is a defect, an incision / step, which however does not compromise the fluidity during screwing.

 

The 18350 battery has a smaller diameter than that of the tube, but remains stationary inside it, even by shaking the flashlight vigorously, no noise or movement of the cell is noticed.

Bezel:

embattled stainless steel. It's always nice to find the steel bezel especially in this price range.
The Bezel is glued, very difficult to unscrew and as per the manual, proceeding with the disassembly risks compromising the waterproofing and voiding the warranty.

 

Lens:
tempered mineral glass.

Optics:
TIR in synthetic material.

Head:

We find a print with the word "HOT" and a serial number. It has no molding imperfections.
Below the bezel, the surface is smooth with 8 longitudinal grooves.
Next we find the central part of the head characterized by the switch, on the sides the cooling fins, while on the back the charging port. The USB-C port is not perfectly aligned with the milling of the head, however the insertion of the USB plug is smooth and presents no difficulty.
The switch has good feedback, is backlit and can be customized (off, low, high, flashing).
I noticed an anomalous absorption when the led is set to High, I'll talk about it later.
Still below we find the print with the brand and the name of the model.

 

Body:

On the long tube there are 7 transversal grooves, of which the first and last are used to house the clip. In addition to the aesthetic reason they should increase the grip.
Personally I don't like it, I like the feedback it provides. Just a personal preference, but I much prefer the short tube on which there are only 2 grooves, one of which is used to accommodate the clip.

Tail:

Flat, wide, with longitudinal grooves that increase grip, with the ring for the lanyard in the right position.
Inside we find a fairly handsome magnet, which does its job perfectly. The magnet is either loved or hated, there is no version without a magnet in the catalog.
The tail is well made, rational and allows you to use the flashlight vertically.
Finally we find the battery symbol printed just above the passage for the lanyard.

Threads:
Well made, but on the short tube there is a manufacturing defect that does not compromise its functionality.
The segments screw very smoothly and easily. There is a uniform layer of fat.

O-ring:
The bezel is glued so it is difficult to tell if there are 1 or 2 o-rings in the head, but between the head and body and the body and the tail there are 2 o-rings.

Lanyard:
classic black lanyard.

Battery:
A 5000mAh Wurkkos branded 21700 battery can be chosen for only € 4.
I didn't buy a 21700 but a 2 18350 800 mAh 5C for about 11 €.
I bought them to try them, the capacity is + 20% compared to the declared, but the discharge capacity is lower than the peak power required by the TS21. At the same price there are excellent Vapcell or keeppower with 9-10A discharge.

 

6) Specifications:

• LED: Nichia 219C 5000k
• Material: aluminum alloy
• Low voltage warning: yes
• Reverse polarity protection: yes
• Lens type: mineral with hardening treatment
• Optic: TIR in synthetic material
• Switch position: head
• Memory: yes
• Tail stand: yes
• Luminous flux: 2800LM
• Battery:
• Head diameter: 28mm
• Length: 113.4mm
• Weight of the flashlight without battery: 78g
• Water resistance: IPX8

 

7) User Interface:

Anduril 2.

 

 

Anduril is my favorite UI because it can be customized and configured according to your tastes or needs.
Explaining how it works and customizes would be too expensive, here I will just describe what I have done on mine.
1) thermal configuration:
on the TS21 by default the stepdown is set at 45 ° C, I moved it 20 ° C higher.
It is a particular configuration, because I will use it with supports, but that makes it no idea to be held with bare hands.
Before moving the step-down it is good practice to check if the temperature sensor is correctly calibrated and if it is necessary to calibrate it from scratch.

 

2) status led set to low:
on high there is high absorption, so I changed the configuration to low, even if during the day it is not visible.

 

 

8) User experience:

The flashlight is very compact, especially the head, it does not seem to have a unit equipped with 21700 in your hands.
As a form factor I prefer it in the short version, because it becomes an excellent flashlight to insert in any pocket.
Steel bezel, clip, magnet and any diffusers make it suitable for any occasion.
Small and comfortable I find it perfect, like other EDCs, to be mounted on the shoulder supports of your backpack:

 

 

or on the helmet, via gopro holder:

 

 

or on the bike handlebar, via gopro holder:

 

 

The first test to which I subjected the flashlight was the immersion test: flashlight turned on, in 25cm of water for about 30 minutes: the glass did not fog up and the interior was free of humidity.
Immersion test passed with flying colors.

 

One thing that at first puzzles during use is the operating principle of the status LEDs:
Normally the led is amber or green depending on the hardware used.
During charging or the power bank function it turns blue.
One gets confused when during use the status LED suddenly turns blue or purple (blue mixes with amber).
None of this is mentioned in the manual, but one of the Wurkkos staff members on budgetlightforum replied that when there is a sudden change in voltage, the blue LED lights up for about 30 seconds.

 

Another problem I encountered is the high absorption of the amber status LED when set to High.
Also on budgetlight forum a user measured this absorption which would be 13mA and identified the problem in an undersized resistor of the USB controller.

If you are interested you can read both discussions:

https://budgetlightforum.com/node/80040

https://budgetlightforum.com/node/79222

The advice is not to worry about the blue led that lights up and to set the led switch to off or low if you do not want to avoid abnormal battery drainage.

Without beating about the bush, the default thermal configuration (step-down at 45 ° C) makes the use of the torch unnerving, because it continuously cuts the current to manage the heat. Despite the over 2000 lumens it can deliver, in default mode it can deliver only a few hundred lumens continuously.

To signal the power-bank function, the possibility of use while recharging or without battery, by connecting only the head to the USB power cable. In these last two cases, however, only the first 4 power levels will be available.

I also bought some rubber rings, I was especially interested in the GITD ones, but they are disappointing:
they do not fix well in the grooves and the brightness of the GITDs is almost zero and lasts very little, moreover the colored ones seem to have been recycled from the sale of some electronic cigarette.
Failed.

 

9) Led, light output and beamshots:

Last but not least we come to the crucial aspect of each flashlight: LED and light emitted.

Led
This Nichia 219C offers excellent light: using the flashlight you immediately notice that there is no perceptible dominant color cast that often affects the LEDs and that the light is of a very natural white.
Of the LEDs I tried, it is the one that currently offers the closest light to that present during the day.
Some measurements with 100% light on 18% gray card.
If you are looking for a HiCri led in a neutral color, which is as close as possible to sunlight, I would say that this led is the right choice.

 

 

Runtime

For my use I have set the thermal break at 65 ° C, with Anduril the upper limit is 70 ° C.
This allows me to use it at high power when I am hiking and place it on the helmet or backpack, but also to use it as a normal EDC without getting burned, reminding me not to go beyond level 5 or at most 6 of the step mode.
Below is a comparative runtime of 20 minutes (all torches were cooled during measurements) with sampling every 30s in the first 5 minutes and every minute after the fifth minute.
After the initial performance cut in the first 4 minutes, the TS21's graph highlights how it maintains consistent performance until the twentieth minute. From 5 minutes onwards, the outside temperatures fluctuated between 58 and 60 ° C.

 

TS21 levels: 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-Turbo

Burst 700 levels: Low-Med-High

M21F levels: Eco-Low-Med-High

IF25A levels: 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-Turbo

 

 

Light beam
The light beam is characterized by a wide spot that gently degrades into a spill which is also quite wide, the result is a very flood beam, greater than that of the IF25A cousin.
There are no dominants, color variations or rings.
Very well, if you are looking for a flood torch it could be for you.

 

Here are 2 sets of night shots, in a natural environment, using this set-up:
26mm f1.6
iso3200
1 / 15s
WB 5000k

 

Tree at the bottom 115m.
Convoy M21F GT-FC40 4500k
Level low-mid-high:

 

Tree at the bottom 115m.
Wurkkos TS21 219C 5000k
Level 5-6-7-turbo:

 

Tree at the bottom 115m
Sofirn IF25A SST20 4000k
level 5-6-7-turbo:

 

Tree at the bottom 65-70m.
Convoy M21F GT-FC40 4500k
Level low-mid-high:

 

Tree at the bottom 115m.
Wurkkos TS21 219C 5000k
Level 5-6-7-turbo:

 

Tree at the bottom 65-70m
Sofirn IF25A SST20 4000k
level 5-6-7-turbo:

 

The TS21 shines very well in the first few meters, but despite having enough power it cannot shoot beyond 65-70m.

 

10) Conclusions

I would define the TS21 as a product for aware users:
it can be brought home with less than € 30 (I paid € 26 without battery), it has excellent hi-Cri LEDs that make an excellent light with faithfully reproduced colors and it is very pleasant to observe.
The package is complete: flashlight, clip, bottom magnet, steel bezel, lanyard, usb-c charging, power bank function.
However, the premature overheating, the lack of some information on the manual, the anomalous drain of the status LED, the important cut in performance despite the declared 2800 lumens, the complete but "complex" firmware for beginners, are aspects to keep. into account.

Although I have recommended it on several occasions to those who asked me for a small flashlight with a good light, I must say that the use in the field has given me half a disappointment: in some respects the flashlight looks like a beta version not yet refined to be launched. on the market.

Personally I could use it in a short tube version during my excursions: a backup torch to be placed on the shoulder of the backpack and to be used as a candle with its diffuser.

Who do I recommend it to?
To those looking for a small, compact flashlight with a light as close as possible to daylight and at the same time want a complete firmware and customize like Anduril.

 

11) Positive aspects:

1) Led: a very white, neutral light. So far, of the LEDs tested, the one that comes closest to daylight.
2) Very competitive price
3) Complete package
4) Possibility to mount the short tube
5) Power bank function, use when charging or without battery.

 

12) Negative aspects:

1) Excess of heat that leads to a sudden cut in performance
2) Excessive drain of the led switch set to high
3) The manual is not up to date, it reports the Anduril1 procedures and does not give information on the status LED, forcing the user to search for information on the net or to contact customer service.
4) inefficient customer service: less than an hour after purchase, I send a message to customer service to ask if it was possible to make a change to the order. They reply after two days informing me that the package has already been shipped.

5) Charging the 18350 in TS21, by my powerbank, current go up to ≈ 3A. This is a bad new for battery life.

 

13) Neutral aspects:

1) the firmware is not immediate requires a minimum of study and tests

 

14) Final rating:

1) TS21 torch: 6.5 / 10
2) Short tube: 7/10
3) Batteries 18350 7/10
4) Diffusers: 8/10
5) Rubber rings: 4/10

 

 

Edited by: Argo on 07/27/2022 - 05:48
JagerLion
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 6 days ago
Joined: 11/08/2020 - 21:56
Posts: 146
Location: USA

I mentioned this in other threads, but my TS21 (5000K 219C Anduril 2) has extremely high parasitic drain. Even with the AUX LED turned OFF, the light drains at 3-4mA per my DMM. To double check this I have kept my TS21 completely unused with AUX LED turned off for a month now, removing and testing the included battery weekly, and these are the voltages:

Jun 26: 4.08V
Jul 3: 3.93V
Jul 10: 3.81V
Jul 17: 3.71V
Jul 24: 3.60V

Also, mechanical lockout on mine is unreliable. I did contact Wurkkos CS on their webside but received no response. Mine is long past the 30-day return window but my concern is for the average user who might buy this flashlight and throw it in a drawer. Two months later it’s dead and possibly discharged below 2.5V making it unsafe to recharge. Please test yours for parasitic drain even with the AUX LED turned off.

I will say the beam is probably the cleanest white, tint-free beautiful big hotspot of literally any light I own. But unfortunately these bugs make it pretty much unusable.

I shoot magic into the darkness!

cannga
Online
Last seen: 12 min 58 sec ago
Joined: 01/04/2022 - 15:37
Posts: 512
Location: Palos Verdes, CA

Thanks for the nice review. The Anduril chart above has an error I think.
Release 7H after double flash should be changed to
Release 7H after second flash.
In other words, it seems to my eyes there is no double flash, there is just a second single flash.

Part of the chart above that has error (I think)

Below is another chart that is more correct

zoulas
zoulas's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 5 hours ago
Joined: 06/01/2020 - 08:35
Posts: 2439

Nice review, incredible light.

Argo
Argo's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 41 min ago
Joined: 07/06/2022 - 09:02
Posts: 93
Location: Italy

JagerLion wrote:
I mentioned this in other threads, but my TS21 (5000K 219C Anduril 2) has extremely high parasitic drain. Even with the AUX LED turned OFF, the light drains at 3-4mA per my DMM. To double check this I have kept my TS21 completely unused with AUX LED turned off for a month now, removing and testing the included battery weekly, and these are the voltages:

Jun 26: 4.08V
Jul 3: 3.93V
Jul 10: 3.81V
Jul 17: 3.71V
Jul 24: 3.60V

Also, mechanical lockout on mine is unreliable. I did contact Wurkkos CS on their webside but received no response. Mine is long past the 30-day return window but my concern is for the average user who might buy this flashlight and throw it in a drawer. Two months later it’s dead and possibly discharged below 2.5V making it unsafe to recharge. Please test yours for parasitic drain even with the AUX LED turned off.

I will say the beam is probably the cleanest white, tint-free beautiful big hotspot of literally any light I own. But unfortunately these bugs make it pretty much unusable.

Good morning Sir,
I start today with my test, I will tell you in the next few days what happened.
Thanks for reading.

cannga wrote:
Thanks for the nice review. The Anduril chart above has an error I think.
Release 7H after double flash should be changed to
Release 7H after second flash.
In other words, it seems to my eyes there is no double flash, there is just a second single flash.

Part of the chart above that has error (I think)

Below is another chart that is more correct
!https://i.imgur.com/VMZbEGt.png!

Hi Dude,
thank you for your recommendation.
I proceeded to edit my review with the new Anduril schemes.
Thank you for reading.

zoulas wrote:
Nice review, incredible light.

thank you for reading.

Argo
Argo's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 41 min ago
Joined: 07/06/2022 - 09:02
Posts: 93
Location: Italy

Sorry for my english.
I fixed translation.
Thanks for reading.

cannga
Online
Last seen: 12 min 58 sec ago
Joined: 01/04/2022 - 15:37
Posts: 512
Location: Palos Verdes, CA

No need to be sorry; review looks great. Great translation. Is it all the work of Google, or you had to go through and correct?

OT: Which area of Italy are you from? Italy is my most favorite travel destination, especially Tuscany and Cinque Terre. Absolutely beautiful country for photography. The food and wine are not bad either Smile .

Argo
Argo's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 41 min ago
Joined: 07/06/2022 - 09:02
Posts: 93
Location: Italy

Thank you. I wrote this review for Italian forum cpfitaliaforum, so google did the job for 97%.

Tuscany and Cinque terre are so amazing, have you been to these places before?

you too live in a very beautiful place, palos verde is very nice, congratulations.

nicodimus22
Offline
Last seen: 19 min 34 sec ago
Joined: 05/02/2022 - 23:11
Posts: 112
Location: Maryland
zoulas wrote:
Nice review, incredible light.

He rated it 6.5/10…is that incredible? When I was in school, 65% was a D. I’m not sure if they use letter grades any more or not, but a D was ‘poor.’

I still have my TS21, and I like the beam of this light very much, but it quickly either 1) gets too hot to hold or 2) ramps the brightness down significantly. Sure, you can adjust the thermal config and limit, but it doesn’t matter. You either need to keep the brightness at a low to moderate level to avoid burning yourself, or the flashlight will do it for you. It’s the same end result. Unusable for situations that require more than medium brightness.

The Convoy S21D 519A 5000K is basically what the TS21 should’ve been, IMO. They have a lot of similarities. It also uses a 21700. It has a perfect floody white beam if you buy the 60 degree bead version. You can hold it in your hand on the 2nd highest brightness level indefinitely without getting burned, which is significantly brighter than the TS21 after the rapid brightness throttling kicks in. (Trivia note: Someone asked me how long I could hold the S21D in my hand at 100% brightness before it started to burn. The answer is 3 minutes, 45 seconds.)

Thank you for the honest review, Argo.

Argo
Argo's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 41 min ago
Joined: 07/06/2022 - 09:02
Posts: 93
Location: Italy

Nicodimus 22 thank you for reading and for your thank you for your comment as a user of the ts21.

I read that I am not the only one to notice that despite the declared 2800 lumens in the end it can be used normally only at much lower power. In my opinion they should have done it with a 18650 and a 18350 so it would have been even smaller but above all they would have had to limit the power.

I ordered a convoy s2 + with nichia 519a because I think it can have more lasting performance over time and a light beam with more shooting. I find this TS21 too flood for the lumens it can maintain over time.

nicodimus22
Offline
Last seen: 19 min 34 sec ago
Joined: 05/02/2022 - 23:11
Posts: 112
Location: Maryland

Argo wrote:
Nicodimus 22

I read that I am not the only one to notice that despite the declared 2800 lumens in the end it can be used normally only at much lower power.

It’s really a shame. It feels like something on the verge of greatness that just wasn’t tested and revised enough before it released.

Argo wrote:
I ordered a convoy s2 + with nichia 519a because I think it can have more lasting performance over time and a light beam with more shooting. I find this TS21 too flood for the lumens it can maintain over time.

Have you tried replacing the reflector with different TIRs in the S2+ yet? I’ve only tried the 60 degree, but I think it’s quite nice if you want to make the S2+ beam smooth and floody. There are ones that make it more throwy, too. I think the 10 degree is the throwiest one.

Argo
Argo's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 41 min ago
Joined: 07/06/2022 - 09:02
Posts: 93
Location: Italy

nicodimus22 wrote:
Argo wrote:
Nicodimus 22

I read that I am not the only one to notice that despite the declared 2800 lumens in the end it can be used normally only at much lower power.

It’s really a shame. It feels like something on the verge of greatness that just wasn’t tested and revised enough before it released.

Argo wrote:
I ordered a convoy s2 + with nichia 519a because I think it can have more lasting performance over time and a light beam with more shooting. I find this TS21 too flood for the lumens it can maintain over time.

Have you tried replacing the reflector with different TIRs in the S2+ yet? I’ve only tried the 60 degree, but I think it’s quite nice if you want to make the S2+ beam smooth and floody. There are ones that make it more throwy, too. I think the 10 degree is the throwiest one.

my s2 + is still in the hands of the courier, I should receive it in a few days.
I ordered a SMO and an orange peel reflector.

CRC2
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 2 days ago
Joined: 03/27/2022 - 17:32
Posts: 310
Location: Canada

So I have the TS21 with the short tube and the pair of 20350’s Wurkkos sells on their website. (presumably to be used with this light.)

Something ive noticed brought up in a couple places though, is that the smaller 20350’s and 18350’s Wurkkos sells on their website have a max charge rating of .5C

(I dont really understand anything about “C”)

And according to Zeroairs review about it, I can see that it “charges at around 2A”

Here is the chart (data sheet?) provided by Wurkkos for the 18350 listing on their website. The 20350’s appear to be sold out right now but im pretty sure its exactly the same.

So my concern now is – What risks I am taking charging the 20350/18350 cells inside the TS21?

Is it a fire hazard/safety concern, or am I simply just not going to get the best lifespan out of my cells?

I also own an XTAR VC4L, but cant directly choose the charge rate. Best I can do is put both 20350’s in at the same time as I charge two other cells, causing the XTAR to drop its charge rate to 0.5A per channel.

cannga
Online
Last seen: 12 min 58 sec ago
Joined: 01/04/2022 - 15:37
Posts: 512
Location: Palos Verdes, CA

@Argo: on the runtime graph above, what does “burst 700 high” and “burst 700 default” mean please?
And level 7 – is that 1 level less than Turbo? Thanks.

Argo
Argo's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 41 min ago
Joined: 07/06/2022 - 09:02
Posts: 93
Location: Italy

JagerLion wrote:
I mentioned this in other threads, but my TS21 (5000K 219C Anduril 2) has extremely high parasitic drain. Even with the AUX LED turned OFF, the light drains at 3-4mA per my DMM. To double check this I have kept my TS21 completely unused with AUX LED turned off for a month now, removing and testing the included battery weekly, and these are the voltages:

Jun 26: 4.08V
Jul 3: 3.93V
Jul 10: 3.81V
Jul 17: 3.71V
Jul 24: 3.60V

Also, mechanical lockout on mine is unreliable. I did contact Wurkkos CS on their webside but received no response. Mine is long past the 30-day return window but my concern is for the average user who might buy this flashlight and throw it in a drawer. Two months later it’s dead and possibly discharged below 2.5V making it unsafe to recharge. Please test yours for parasitic drain even with the AUX LED turned off.

I will say the beam is probably the cleanest white, tint-free beautiful big hotspot of literally any light I own. But unfortunately these bugs make it pretty much unusable.

switch led: OFF
First 22hours: my 18350 is passed from 4,12v to 4,11v.

CRC2 wrote:
So I have the TS21 with the short tube and the pair of 20350’s Wurkkos sells on their website. (presumably to be used with this light.)

Something ive noticed brought up in a couple places though, is that the smaller 20350’s and 18350’s Wurkkos sells on their website have a max charge rating of .5C

(I dont really understand anything about “C”)

And according to Zeroairs review about it, I can see that it “charges at around 2A”

Here is the chart (data sheet?) provided by Wurkkos for the 18350 listing on their website. The 20350’s appear to be sold out right now but im pretty sure its exactly the same.

So my concern now is – What risks I am taking charging the 20350/18350 cells inside the TS21?

Is it a fire hazard/safety concern, or am I simply just not going to get the best lifespan out of my cells?

I also own an XTAR VC4L, but cant directly choose the charge rate. Best I can do is put both 20350’s in at the same time as I charge two other cells, causing the XTAR to drop its charge rate to 0.5A per channel.

Good questions Sir.

If C=1 and capacity=1000mAh —>C=1A
If C=0,5 and capacity=1000mAh—>C=0,5A
if C=2 and capacity=2000mAh—>C=2A

I had tested Wurkkos 18350 and they are 1000mAh.

I tested charging 18350 in TS21 and the current go up to 2,98A at 5,19V, this is a bad new for battery life.

cannga wrote:
@Argo: on the runtime graph above, what does “burst 700 high” and “burst 700 default” mean please? And level 7 – is that 1 level less than Turbo? Thanks.

Sigma 700 Burst has got 3 levels: Low-Medium-High
Convoy M21F has got 4 level: Eco-Low-Medium-High
Sofirn IF25A has got 8 levels: 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-Turbo
Wurkkos TS21 has got 8 levels: 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-Turbo

Kirin
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 3 weeks ago
Joined: 07/27/2022 - 07:29
Posts: 2
Location: Romania

Hello there. I have received yesterday my TS21 and it haves a “feature” i never noticed on my other several Sofirn/Wurkkos flashlights : i can see the light of the flashing led while charging through the front lens! Is this “feature” spread across all TS21 or it’s just mine? Thank you. 

 

https://youtube.com/shorts/J8suPAZBXDI?feature=share

cannga
Online
Last seen: 12 min 58 sec ago
Joined: 01/04/2022 - 15:37
Posts: 512
Location: Palos Verdes, CA
Kirin wrote:

Hello there. I have received yesterday my TS21 and it haves a “feature” i never noticed on my other several Sofirn/Wurkkos flashlights : i can see the light of the flashing led while charging through the front lens! Is this “feature” spread across all TS21 or it’s just mine? Thank you. 

 

https://youtube.com/shorts/J8suPAZBXDI?feature=share

I see it in mine also.

This button light is truly the bane of TS21’s existence Facepalm Party . Never seen one so oft criticized. I set mine to “blinking” btw – less current draw and useful as indicator that the battery is not dead.

CRC2
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 2 days ago
Joined: 03/27/2022 - 17:32
Posts: 310
Location: Canada

Argo wrote:
CRC2 wrote:
So I have the TS21 with the short tube and the pair of 20350’s Wurkkos sells on their website. (presumably to be used with this light.)

Something ive noticed brought up in a couple places though, is that the smaller 20350’s and 18350’s Wurkkos sells on their website have a max charge rating of .5C

(I dont really understand anything about “C”)

And according to Zeroairs review about it, I can see that it “charges at around 2A”

Here is the chart (data sheet?) provided by Wurkkos for the 18350 listing on their website. The 20350’s appear to be sold out right now but im pretty sure its exactly the same.

So my concern now is – What risks I am taking charging the 20350/18350 cells inside the TS21?

Is it a fire hazard/safety concern, or am I simply just not going to get the best lifespan out of my cells?

I also own an XTAR VC4L, but cant directly choose the charge rate. Best I can do is put both 20350’s in at the same time as I charge two other cells, causing the XTAR to drop its charge rate to 0.5A per channel.

Good questions Sir.

If C=1 and capacity=1000mAh —>C=1A
If C=0,5 and capacity=1000mAh—>C=0,5A
if C=2 and capacity=2000mAh—>C=2A

I had tested Wurkkos 18350 and they are 1000mAh.

I tested charging 18350 in TS21 and the current go up to 2,98A at 5,19V, this is a bad new for battery life.

Thank you for your reply and for explaingin “C”.

Im still a bit unsure about the conclusion though.

Is this just bad for battery life, but still safe to charge it inside the TS21?

Or is it really unwise to be charging these cells at such a rate?

CRC2
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 2 days ago
Joined: 03/27/2022 - 17:32
Posts: 310
Location: Canada
Kirin wrote:

Hello there. I have received yesterday my TS21 and it haves a “feature” i never noticed on my other several Sofirn/Wurkkos flashlights : i can see the light of the flashing led while charging through the front lens! Is this “feature” spread across all TS21 or it’s just mine? Thank you. 

 

https://youtube.com/shorts/J8suPAZBXDI?feature=share

It is normal to be able to see the button light through the lense/optic.
There is a paper thin piece of plastic sitting under the optic and on top of the MCPCB?
I think it is there to block this from being visable, but must be too translucent to fully block it.
I opened mine up and removed that plastic, so the light really comes through mine.

Kirin
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 3 weeks ago
Joined: 07/27/2022 - 07:29
Posts: 2
Location: Romania

CRC2 wrote:
Kirin wrote:

Hello there. I have received yesterday my TS21 and it haves a “feature” i never noticed on my other several Sofirn/Wurkkos flashlights : i can see the light of the flashing led while charging through the front lens! Is this “feature” spread across all TS21 or it’s just mine? Thank you. 

 

https://youtube.com/shorts/J8suPAZBXDI?feature=share

It is normal to be able to see the button light through the lense/optic. There is a paper thin piece of plastic sitting under the optic and on top of the MCPCB? I think it is there to block this from being visable, but must be too translucent to fully block it. I opened mine up and removed that plastic, so the light really comes through mine.


Can we call it manufacture error? I never notice this light “leak” until this model. 

Argo
Argo's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 41 min ago
Joined: 07/06/2022 - 09:02
Posts: 93
Location: Italy

CRC2 wrote:
Argo wrote:
CRC2 wrote:
So I have the TS21 with the short tube and the pair of 20350’s Wurkkos sells on their website. (presumably to be used with this light.)

Something ive noticed brought up in a couple places though, is that the smaller 20350’s and 18350’s Wurkkos sells on their website have a max charge rating of .5C

(I dont really understand anything about “C”)

And according to Zeroairs review about it, I can see that it “charges at around 2A”

Here is the chart (data sheet?) provided by Wurkkos for the 18350 listing on their website. The 20350’s appear to be sold out right now but im pretty sure its exactly the same.

So my concern now is – What risks I am taking charging the 20350/18350 cells inside the TS21?

Is it a fire hazard/safety concern, or am I simply just not going to get the best lifespan out of my cells?

I also own an XTAR VC4L, but cant directly choose the charge rate. Best I can do is put both 20350’s in at the same time as I charge two other cells, causing the XTAR to drop its charge rate to 0.5A per channel.

Good questions Sir.

If C=1 and capacity=1000mAh —>C=1A
If C=0,5 and capacity=1000mAh—>C=0,5A
if C=2 and capacity=2000mAh—>C=2A

I had tested Wurkkos 18350 and they are 1000mAh.

I tested charging 18350 in TS21 and the current go up to 2,98A at 5,19V, this is a bad new for battery life.

Thank you for your reply and for explaingin “C”.

Im still a bit unsure about the conclusion though.

Is this just bad for battery life, but still safe to charge it inside the TS21?

Or is it really unwise to be charging these cells at such a rate?

I don’t know.

Argo
Argo's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 41 min ago
Joined: 07/06/2022 - 09:02
Posts: 93
Location: Italy
Kirin wrote:

CRC2 wrote:
Kirin wrote:

Hello there. I have received yesterday my TS21 and it haves a “feature” i never noticed on my other several Sofirn/Wurkkos flashlights : i can see the light of the flashing led while charging through the front lens! Is this “feature” spread across all TS21 or it’s just mine? Thank you. 

 

https://youtube.com/shorts/J8suPAZBXDI?feature=share

It is normal to be able to see the button light through the lense/optic. There is a paper thin piece of plastic sitting under the optic and on top of the MCPCB? I think it is there to block this from being visable, but must be too translucent to fully block it. I opened mine up and removed that plastic, so the light really comes through mine.


Can we call it manufacture error? I never notice this light “leak” until this model. 

No, I don’t think this.

CRC2
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 2 days ago
Joined: 03/27/2022 - 17:32
Posts: 310
Location: Canada

Argo wrote:
CRC2 wrote:

Thank you for your reply and for explaingin “C”.

Im still a bit unsure about the conclusion though.

Is this just bad for battery life, but still safe to charge it inside the TS21?

Or is it really unwise to be charging these cells at such a rate?

I don’t know.

Fair enough. Thanks

zoulas
zoulas's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 5 hours ago
Joined: 06/01/2020 - 08:35
Posts: 2439

This post is getting dumber and dumber by the minute. This light has already proven itself and ya’all gave it a high rating in 2021. Electronic switches have parasitic drain, get over it. We all saw the teardown, we all read the reviews. You are embarrassing yourselves because this is all well documented. Read, read, read, then post.

bushmaster
bushmaster's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 hour 38 min ago
Joined: 07/09/2017 - 15:40
Posts: 783
Location: Colville, WA USA

But…..the light is defective. There ain’t no two ways about it. It has some fine qualities and some glaring faults. Shouldn’t we bring this to the attention of the manufacturer?

Keep your nose in the wind and your eyes along the skyline.
Del Gue

Argo
Argo's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 hours 41 min ago
Joined: 07/06/2022 - 09:02
Posts: 93
Location: Italy

JagerLion wrote:
I mentioned this in other threads, but my TS21 (5000K 219C Anduril 2) has extremely high parasitic drain. Even with the AUX LED turned OFF, the light drains at 3-4mA per my DMM. To double check this I have kept my TS21 completely unused with AUX LED turned off for a month now, removing and testing the included battery weekly, and these are the voltages:

Jun 26: 4.08V
Jul 3: 3.93V
Jul 10: 3.81V
Jul 17: 3.71V
Jul 24: 3.60V

Also, mechanical lockout on mine is unreliable. I did contact Wurkkos CS on their webside but received no response. Mine is long past the 30-day return window but my concern is for the average user who might buy this flashlight and throw it in a drawer. Two months later it’s dead and possibly discharged below 2.5V making it unsafe to recharge. Please test yours for parasitic drain even with the AUX LED turned off.

I will say the beam is probably the cleanest white, tint-free beautiful big hotspot of literally any light I own. But unfortunately these bugs make it pretty much unusable.

AUX LED turned OFF

battery 18350

Jul 26 4.12V
Jul 28 4.10V

Have you taken the test with the 21700?

KnotSoMuch
KnotSoMuch's picture
Offline
Last seen: 11 hours 20 min ago
Joined: 11/09/2012 - 00:37
Posts: 131
Location: USA

bushmaster wrote:
But.....the light is defective. There ain't no two ways about it. It has some fine qualities and some glaring faults. Shouldn't we bring this to the attention of the manufacturer?

First, I completely agree with "zoulas"! 

Second, "Defective... seriously?!!!

The parasitic drain that occurs when the switch button LED is enabled is unfortunate. However, it certainly doesn't affect the TS21's functionality or effectiveness as an Illumination tool. Regardless, owners can always ask Wurkkos about mutually acceptable solutions.

Aside from the parasitic battery draining issue of the switch LED, the same goes for anyone whose TS21 is otherwise definitively determined to be parasitically draining it's battery at an unacceptably high rate. 

Personally, for a $30, solidly-built flashlight with as many features and functions as the TS21, not enabling any of the switch LED's 3 available settings has never been an issue!  In fact, although my first TS21s were received before the parasitic drain issue was noticed, I nevertheless ordered the Nichia 219C version when it became available without confirmation that the parasitic drain issue was resolved, because the TS21 is an amazing value! 

Despite of any parasitic drain issue, I nevertheless keep the switch LED enabled on the solid-low setting on the two TS21s I use daily within my home, because the convenience of on-board charging negates any inconvenience associated with a prematurely draining cell. 

As for the TS21 that I keep in my vehicle, although the switch button LED is disabled, any possible battery draining issue is alternatively negated by simply backing off the tailcap a turn or two.

In spite of Wurkkos failing to locate & troubleshoot the issues that were subsequently found to plague the switch button's integrated, multi-functional LED, I'm betting that Wurkkos will leverage the technical feedback they have since received, ad nauseum, from their loyal BLF customer base, by making certain that those issues are fully resolved in a revised version of the TS21!

The upcoming TS22 (the single LED version of the TS21) will hopefully be a reflection of how seriously Wurkkos listens to this forum's feedback and suggestions.

I'm also hoping that Wurkkos will soon offer a revised successor to the TS21 to those owners that ordered & received their units before the parasitic battery draining issues were found by BLF members and fixed by Wurkkos. In lieu of those who have already exchanged, or are in the process of exchanging their problematic TS21s, perhaps making the remaining TS21 owners whole, or otherwise satisfied, could be accomplished through some type of discount program that allows those owners to purchase either a fully revised & updated  TS21 or the new TS22 at appropriately discounted prices. WURKKOS...YES?

 

 

If any BLF member would like design suggestions or help with tying a customized paracord lanyard or fob for use with lights & knives, please feel free to message me here.

For paracord project ideas, I highly recommend visiting: https://stormdrane.blogspot.com/

pennzy
pennzy's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 3 min ago
Joined: 12/10/2017 - 19:45
Posts: 4491
Location: United States , Pa.

My two both have issues other than parasitic drain. I have posted about it months ago and have yet to see any fixes. Never formally complained but enough people have posted and no fixes have been offered voluntarily.

KnotSoMuch
KnotSoMuch's picture
Offline
Last seen: 11 hours 20 min ago
Joined: 11/09/2012 - 00:37
Posts: 131
Location: USA

pennzy wrote:
My two both have issues other than parasitic drain. I have posted about it months ago and have yet to see any fixes. Never formally complained but enough people have posted and no fixes have been offered voluntarily.

Such as...? 

The switch button LED turning Blue without a confirmed reason from Wurkkos as to why it does that...sure, I concede. In fact, since I may have been one of the very first to receive the TS21 after its launch, as I recall, I was the first to ask about the Blue LED oddity. Regardless, it remains a non-issue. 

Anything else worthy of characterizing the TS21 as a defective product? 

If any BLF member would like design suggestions or help with tying a customized paracord lanyard or fob for use with lights & knives, please feel free to message me here.

For paracord project ideas, I highly recommend visiting: https://stormdrane.blogspot.com/

TheIntruder
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 18 hours ago
Joined: 03/09/2018 - 02:11
Posts: 383

LOL. Yes, it has all be documented and on the record, including an acknowledgement of the issues, and a purported solution that has seemingly never been implemented.

Whether the product, in its current guise, meets one’s personal standards is subjective, but the facts, and actions, or lack thereof, cannot be disputed.

Personally, as a paying customer, I’d rather not be an unwitting beta tester as well, but that’s not unusual in this hobby, nor is Wurkkos unique in that regard.

If they choose not to fix the bugs in their product, like a good developer would, then they must also accept the risk of losing their customers, and damaging their reputations.

As a user, your money, your choice.

KnotSoMuch
KnotSoMuch's picture
Offline
Last seen: 11 hours 20 min ago
Joined: 11/09/2012 - 00:37
Posts: 131
Location: USA

TheIntruder wrote:
LOL. Yes, it has all be documented and on the record, including an acknowledgement of the issues, and a purported solution that has seemingly never been implemented. Whether the product, in its current guise, meets one's personal standards is subjective, but the facts, and actions, or lack thereof, cannot be disputed. Personally, as a paying customer, I'd rather not be an unwitting beta tester as well, but that's not unusual in this hobby, nor is Wurkkos unique in that regard. If they choose not to fix the bugs in their product, like a good developer would, then they must also accept the risk of losing their customers, and damaging their reputations. As a user, your money, your choice.

Nor would I. And like many, I very rarely purchase the first run or iteration of any high tech, complicated, or expensive product for precisely the reason you gave. So the TS21 is that rare example of throwing caution to the wind! But at ~$30 each, it was worth doing so. And I'm glad I did, in spite the minor hiccups. I otherwise agree with you. 

If any BLF member would like design suggestions or help with tying a customized paracord lanyard or fob for use with lights & knives, please feel free to message me here.

For paracord project ideas, I highly recommend visiting: https://stormdrane.blogspot.com/

Pages