Old dead 12V car battery

22 posts / 0 new
Last post
lampliter
lampliter's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 days 13 hours ago
Joined: 07/31/2017 - 16:06
Posts: 480
Location: Paradise
Old dead 12V car battery

Is there any way to dispose of this type of battery without paying a fee?

"The marvel of all history is the patience with which men and women submit to burdens unnecessarily laid upon them by their governments.” ~ U.S. Senator William H. Borah (1865-1940) affectionately known as the "Lion of Idaho"

Scallywag
Scallywag's picture
Offline
Last seen: 12 hours 39 min ago
Joined: 01/11/2018 - 22:23
Posts: 2418
Location: Ohio, United States

Yeah. Places will take it for free in the US, some will even pay per pound for lead.

raccoon city
raccoon city's picture
Online
Last seen: 11 min 28 sec ago
Joined: 10/06/2010 - 02:35
Posts: 19306
Location: Palm Desert CA ~ West Coast is the best coast

Do you have a neighbor you don't like?

Throw it in his yard.

It works for me!  :P

lampliter
lampliter's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 days 13 hours ago
Joined: 07/31/2017 - 16:06
Posts: 480
Location: Paradise

Hmmmmm Cool

"The marvel of all history is the patience with which men and women submit to burdens unnecessarily laid upon them by their governments.” ~ U.S. Senator William H. Borah (1865-1940) affectionately known as the "Lion of Idaho"

MtnDon
MtnDon's picture
Online
Last seen: 7 min 14 sec ago
Joined: 08/27/2015 - 18:25
Posts: 4301
Location: Canuk in NM

Find a scrap metal dealer. Here I get $12 to $15 for a typical car battery. Valued by weight

JenkinsMatti
Offline
Last seen: 4 days 19 hours ago
Joined: 08/23/2021 - 18:26
Posts: 423

^^^^^

+1

EDIT TO ADD: Of course if the dead battey is coming out of a vehicle & being replaced you will just turn it in as a core.

zoulas
zoulas's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 33 min ago
Joined: 06/01/2020 - 08:35
Posts: 2442

When you buy a new battery, you pay an extra $5 core charge. When you return your old battery you get it back. Simple and free.

Scallywag
Scallywag's picture
Offline
Last seen: 12 hours 39 min ago
Joined: 01/11/2018 - 22:23
Posts: 2418
Location: Ohio, United States

zoulas wrote:
When you buy a new battery, you pay an extra $5 core charge. When you return your old battery you get it back. Simple and free.

It has been higher than $5 here on car batteries for a long time
pennzy
pennzy's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 17 min ago
Joined: 12/10/2017 - 19:45
Posts: 4491
Location: United States , Pa.

Last battery I got at Walmart the core charge was $9. I am not sure if they will pay for them outright but it doesn’t hurt to call around to the auto parts stores and ask.

202bigmike
Offline
Last seen: 5 hours 44 min ago
Joined: 07/23/2014 - 12:09
Posts: 904
Location: USA

Some Auto Junk Yards-Used Auto Parts places will buy dead 12V batteries outright from you.

The buy price $ varies , depending upon where you are. Call around to different places to find out

who’s paying the best $ and how far you have to take the batteries to them , to see if it’s worth it. Grad

JenkinsMatti
Offline
Last seen: 4 days 19 hours ago
Joined: 08/23/2021 - 18:26
Posts: 423

zoulas wrote:
When you buy a new battery, you pay an extra $5 core charge. When you return your old battery you get it back. Simple and free.
it must have been a long time since you bought a battery my friend. Wink
lampliter
lampliter's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 days 13 hours ago
Joined: 07/31/2017 - 16:06
Posts: 480
Location: Paradise

The rest of the story; I bought this battery online from walmart ( the battery listed $15 dollars higher than at the store; so I figured that was the core charge) and picked it up at the store. When I took the old battery back to redeem the core charge they told me that was the tax and would not redeem, Florida tax is 5.5% $15 sounds a little high to me on $100 purchase.
In other words Walmart ripped me off for the core charge.
That’s what I get for being lazy and not driving 3 miles to the store.
Yea, I took my notebook in and showed them the purchase details and they still refused.
Tricks of the trade. Blushing

"The marvel of all history is the patience with which men and women submit to burdens unnecessarily laid upon them by their governments.” ~ U.S. Senator William H. Borah (1865-1940) affectionately known as the "Lion of Idaho"

wle
wle's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 42 min ago
Joined: 01/07/2015 - 13:49
Posts: 3105
Location: atlanta ga

auto zone

places that sell batteries.

"You never have the wind with you - it's either against you, or you're having a good day."
    Daniel Behrman, "The Man Who Loved Bicycles".
It never gets easy, you just go faster.   
-Greg Lemond.
       ,ø¤º°`°º¤ø¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø¸

MtnDon
MtnDon's picture
Online
Last seen: 7 min 14 sec ago
Joined: 08/27/2015 - 18:25
Posts: 4301
Location: Canuk in NM

The Walmart clerk didn’t have a clue what a core charge is, took the easy way (for him/her) and flim flammed you. Maybe try phoning their auto department??

Or look for a scrapper. Or an actual store that sells car parts as their main or only line.

Oli
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 21 min ago
Joined: 08/03/2018 - 21:03
Posts: 858
Location: United States

lampliter wrote:
The rest of the story; I bought this battery online from walmart ( the battery listed $15 dollars higher than at the store; so I figured that was the core charge) and picked it up at the store. When I took the old battery back to redeem the core charge they told me that was the tax and would not redeem, Florida tax is 5.5% $15 sounds a little high to me on $100 purchase.
In other words Walmart ripped me off for the core charge.
That’s what I get for being lazy and not driving 3 miles to the store.
Yea, I took my notebook in and showed them the purchase details and they still refused.
Tricks of the trade. Blushing
No that’s not the rest of the story. Walmart’s website clearly states that the price online does not include the core charge. You will be charged the core charge when you go to pick it up in the store unless you bring your old battery in at that time. Different states have different core charges that’s why the core charge dollar price is not listed online. They should have charged you a core charge if you did not bring in your old battery when you went to pick up the new one. So they violated the state law. To be clear, if you brought your old one in and turned it in when picking up the new one, then there would not have been a core charge. Walmart’s website also states that they will recycle lead acid batteries for free. Even if you’re not buying one. But I would take it to a scrap yard and get 6 to 10 dollars for it. As others have said any place that sells batteries will take your old one at this time if you have one for whatever reason.

You can't compare the big flashlight in the sky to the little flashlight in your hand.

zoulas
zoulas's picture
Offline
Last seen: 6 hours 33 min ago
Joined: 06/01/2020 - 08:35
Posts: 2442
Scallywag wrote:
zoulas wrote:
When you buy a new battery, you pay an extra $5 core charge. When you return your old battery you get it back. Simple and free.
It has been higher than $5 here on car batteries for a long time

Even if it’s $100 , you get it back. You can even return someone else’s battery.

kennybobby
kennybobby's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 days 1 hour ago
Joined: 05/10/2017 - 09:13
Posts: 1300
Location: huntspatch, alabama

Be sure to fully charge the “new” battery. i’ve bought 4 over the pandemic and they were all stale from sitting on the shelf too long without charging.

Now i used to think that i was cool,
drivin' around on fossil fuel,
until i saw what i was doin',
was drivin' down the road to ruin. --JT

Casemods
Casemods's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 2 weeks ago
Joined: 07/25/2020 - 13:40
Posts: 60
Location: East bAy
kennybobby wrote:
Be sure to fully charge the “new” battery. i’ve bought 4 over the pandemic and they were all stale from sitting on the shelf too long without charging.

If they are past 11v don’t even buy them

Lumintop: Fw3a XP-L HI 3D 5000k, B01, fw21 x9l SBT90.

D4v2 sst20 4000k, FF e01 sst40w n5 5700k, olight s2r b2 cu, s2+ cu sr, s2+ sr, c8, BLF A6 3d, acebeam pt40 sst20 95cri, YLP panda 3r

East bAy area, California

pennzy
pennzy's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 17 min ago
Joined: 12/10/2017 - 19:45
Posts: 4491
Location: United States , Pa.

I bought a battery from Walmart online because the same battery online was $16 cheaper than instore. I called ahead to tell them not to process the order for pickup because I wanted it installed. I was charged a core charge on my receipt. After the battery was installed I asked for my core charge back but was told I was not charged one. After showing them my receipt and a little discussion I got it back. It did seem harder than it should have been. I remember leaving the store a little confused as to why there was even a question.

Casemods
Casemods's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 2 weeks ago
Joined: 07/25/2020 - 13:40
Posts: 60
Location: East bAy
pennzy wrote:
I bought a battery from Walmart online because the same battery online was $16 cheaper than instore. I called ahead to tell them not to process the order for pickup because I wanted it installed. I was charged a core charge on my receipt. After the battery was installed I asked for my core charge back but was told I was not charged one. After showing them my receipt and a little discussion I got it back. It did seem harder than it should have been. I remember leaving the store a little confused as to why there was even a question.

Having a tire changed was a nightmare. Their prices are low for a reason. I would honestly spend a little more and go somewhere else.

Lumintop: Fw3a XP-L HI 3D 5000k, B01, fw21 x9l SBT90.

D4v2 sst20 4000k, FF e01 sst40w n5 5700k, olight s2r b2 cu, s2+ cu sr, s2+ sr, c8, BLF A6 3d, acebeam pt40 sst20 95cri, YLP panda 3r

East bAy area, California

Scallywag
Scallywag's picture
Offline
Last seen: 12 hours 39 min ago
Joined: 01/11/2018 - 22:23
Posts: 2418
Location: Ohio, United States
Casemods wrote:
kennybobby wrote:
Be sure to fully charge the “new” battery. i’ve bought 4 over the pandemic and they were all stale from sitting on the shelf too long without charging.

If they are past 11v don’t even buy them


Sulfation begins long before 11v. When I worked in that world our manufacturers required storage at 12.4v or above, and would refund anything they delivered below that voltage. The policy of my employer was 12.6v or above, and we checked every battery weekly.
JenkinsMatti
Offline
Last seen: 4 days 19 hours ago
Joined: 08/23/2021 - 18:26
Posts: 423

^^^^^ +1