Looking for cheap, smallish semi-thrower...

64 posts / 0 new
Last post

Pages

tallboybass
tallboybass's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 8 months ago
Joined: 05/23/2013 - 17:58
Posts: 1049
Location: Tulsa, OK - USA
Looking for cheap, smallish semi-thrower...

…and I just ordered an Ultrafire C8 – T6. I know, the 88,891st thread on a C8! $14~ish from Amazon…with a cheap 18650 thrown in, be here tomorrow. Am I an idiot?! What SHOULD I have ordered?

Bought a DST from Home Depot and loved the throw, but it was too big. That got ‘gifted’.

I’m new here, GREAT site, BTW! Thanks in advance.

gords1001
gords1001's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 5 months ago
Joined: 05/07/2012 - 14:02
Posts: 5276
Location: wigan england

have a look at a unique fire uf-v3 from tmart.

Dale
Dale's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 11 months ago
Joined: 10/19/2012 - 07:26
Posts: 3188
Location: WV

Small, Cheap, & Throwy?

tallboybass
tallboybass's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 8 months ago
Joined: 05/23/2013 - 17:58
Posts: 1049
Location: Tulsa, OK - USA

Thanks gords, that UF looks nice! Is it more powerful that the C8? Build quality is better? More throw? How long to get it from Tmart? I like their website! Sorry for all the questions…

Dale, comparable to the C8…under $20, 6” and under, and as throwy as ya got!

Dale
Dale's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 11 months ago
Joined: 10/19/2012 - 07:26
Posts: 3188
Location: WV

Why not look at the XinTD V4?

Or this one..
http://budgetlightforum.com/node/22015#node-22015

Chicken Drumstick
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 5 min ago
Joined: 08/27/2012 - 05:00
Posts: 2974
Location: UK

I’ve got one of these, albeit mine is bronze coloured and I got it on a special from KD for $5 shipped.

http://dx.com/p/mxdl-sa-16-cree-xr-e-q5-3-mode-350lm-white-led-flashligh...

Stock it throws quite well. I rather like the light too, not sure why. But it just seems nice. I’ve recently converted mine to direct drive, now it’s single mode, which I like and even brighter. It easily out throws any XM-L I have in a similar reflector size.

Dale
Dale's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 11 months ago
Joined: 10/19/2012 - 07:26
Posts: 3188
Location: WV
18sixfifty
18sixfifty's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 1 month ago
Joined: 12/25/2012 - 20:19
Posts: 4161

The UF V3 is a nice light with a super nice beam pattern but it’s underdriven and is not a thrower at all. I like mine from T-mart though and I think there is a coupon around plus a first time buyer discount if you do decide to buy it.

Jacob A60 from DX is under $15 and it’s small and throws a long way. (but DX takes their time shipping)

http://dx.com/p/jacob-a60-cree-q5-3-mode-310lm-white-led-flashlight-w-st...

Better yet if you can solder, you could de-dome the emitter on the C8 and make a decent little thrower out of your C8 for free. If you have access to a soldering iron and solder that is. The De-domed C8 won’t throw quite as far as the Jacob but you will still be putting more light down range and it will seem like it’s brighter than the Jacob plus when you de-dome it you get a nicer neutral tint.

If you are interested in working on the C8 let me know and I’ll talk you through it step by step.

Welcome aboard but watch out this place gets expensive fast if you get hooked. I stopped in six months ago to find one good light. Now I have close to thirty and have modded 25 of them, and bought and sold and modded another dozen or so. I bet I have $500 or so into my little collection. But who knows how many hours of fun, money well spent and not THE most expensive hobby either.

I’m a junky, I mod lights so I can sell lights so I can buy more light to mod so I can sell lights to buy more lights to mod.

ohaya
Offline
Last seen: 11 months 1 week ago
Joined: 03/16/2013 - 19:01
Posts: 5332
Location: US

tallboybass wrote:
…and I just ordered an Ultrafire C8 – T6. I know, the 88,891st thread on a C8! $14~ish from Amazon…with a cheap 18650 thrown in, be here tomorrow. Am I an idiot?! What SHOULD I have ordered?

Bought a DST from Home Depot and loved the throw, but it was too big. That got ‘gifted’.

I’m new here, GREAT site, BTW! Thanks in advance.

You might be surprised at the C8 from Amazon that you got.

Might.

I got my 2nd C8 from an Amazon seller, a T6 like yours, and till today, it still may be the brightest C8 I have, including a Convoy C8 and a C8 with a P7 emitter.

I don’t think all of the T6 C8s are like that (in a good way), but there’s something really weird about the one I got.

Re. your question, and while it’s not a pure thrower, I’ve really been surprised by this light https://www.fasttech.com/p/1300400.

tallboybass
tallboybass's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 8 months ago
Joined: 05/23/2013 - 17:58
Posts: 1049
Location: Tulsa, OK - USA

Thanks to everyone for the thoughtful responses! The C8 has shipped, so there’s no backing out at this point. It ‘could’ be returned if it doesn’t impress, of course!

I need to read up on de-doming and all the other mods. Soldering is a thing to be avoided for me…we’ll see. Thanks 18sixfifty, for the kind offer on the mods!

Keep those recommendations coming, I’ve learned a LOT since posting this earlier today!

Ohaya, I already have a nice little ‘thrower’ in 123 format, the NiteCore EC1. It goes on my hat when I ride me bike!

manxbuggy1
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 4 days ago
Joined: 04/24/2012 - 07:27
Posts: 721
Location: Montgomery, Texas

18sixfifty wrote:
The UF V3 is a nice light with a super nice beam pattern but it’s underdriven and is not a thrower at all. I like mine from T-mart though and I think there is a coupon around plus a first time buyer discount if you do decide to buy it.

Jacob A60 from DX is under $15 and it’s small and throws a long way. (but DX takes their time shipping)

http://dx.com/p/jacob-a60-cree-q5-3-mode-310lm-white-led-flashlight-w-st...

Better yet if you can solder, you could de-dome the emitter on the C8 and make a decent little thrower out of your C8 for free. If you have access to a soldering iron and solder that is. The De-domed C8 won’t throw quite as far as the Jacob but you will still be putting more light down range and it will seem like it’s brighter than the Jacob plus when you de-dome it you get a nicer neutral tint.

If you are interested in working on the C8 let me know and I’ll talk you through it step by step.

Welcome aboard but watch out this place gets expensive fast if you get hooked. I stopped in six months ago to find one good light. Now I have close to thirty and have modded 25 of them, and bought and sold and modded another dozen or so. I bet I have $500 or so into my little collection. But who knows how many hours of fun, money well spent and not THE most expensive hobby either.

A big +1 on both lights 18sixfifty is is suggesting. Both the A60 and dedomed C8 are awesome throwers.

Slewflash
Slewflash's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 4 months ago
Joined: 07/05/2012 - 08:43
Posts: 1977
Location: Australia, Melbourne

18sixfifty wrote:
Jacob A60 from DX is under $15 and it’s small and throws a long way. (but DX takes their time shipping)

http://dx.com/p/jacob-a60-cree-q5-3-mode-310lm-white-led-flashlight-w-st...

This, the Jacob A60 for sure. It is probably THE best thrower for that size and price. Nothing will beat it. The only downside is that it gets a little hot, but that’s expected from such a power house which throws INCREDIBLY well.
55kcd, versus a Fenix TK41 of 45kcd.

Slewflash 

tallboybass
tallboybass's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 8 months ago
Joined: 05/23/2013 - 17:58
Posts: 1049
Location: Tulsa, OK - USA

Wow, 55kcd from 310 lumens?!

Slewflash
Slewflash's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 4 months ago
Joined: 07/05/2012 - 08:43
Posts: 1977
Location: Australia, Melbourne

Yes, it really is a laser, and when you dedome the A60 it literally becomes a pencil beam thrower.

Slewflash 

manxbuggy1
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 4 days ago
Joined: 04/24/2012 - 07:27
Posts: 721
Location: Montgomery, Texas

Slewflash wrote:
18sixfifty wrote:
Jacob A60 from DX is under $15 and it’s small and throws a long way. (but DX takes their time shipping)

http://dx.com/p/jacob-a60-cree-q5-3-mode-310lm-white-led-flashlight-w-st...

This, the Jacob A60 for sure. It is probably THE best thrower for that size and price. Nothing will beat it. The only downside is that it gets a little hot, but that’s expected from such a power house which throws INCREDIBLY well.
55kcd, versus a Fenix TK41 of 45kcd.

55kcd might even be a little conservative. I have two A60’s. One is stock except for the resistor mod (eliminating next mode memory) and it throws right at 72kcd. The other one has an XP-E2 with the IOS driver putting out 2.8 A and it throws about 115kcd. I love these little lights.

tallboybass
tallboybass's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 8 months ago
Joined: 05/23/2013 - 17:58
Posts: 1049
Location: Tulsa, OK - USA

After looking at some reviews, the Jacob A60 beam might be too tight for what I’m going to do. I’d rather achieve throw from higher power vs. pencil-thin beam. At this price range, that might be asking too much! Seems like the EA4 might be perfect but a bit pricey.

gords1001
gords1001's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 5 months ago
Joined: 05/07/2012 - 14:02
Posts: 5276
Location: wigan england

if your considering a jacobs, just get a zy-t08 and be done with it, the head size is not that much different, I’ll get a comparison shot later if you wish

tallboybass
tallboybass's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 8 months ago
Joined: 05/23/2013 - 17:58
Posts: 1049
Location: Tulsa, OK - USA

C8 was just delivered. Excitement turns to sadness when the battery won’t take a charge and the flashlight won’t operate on 2-RCR123s. Sad Love the form factor though!

tallboybass
tallboybass's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 8 months ago
Joined: 05/23/2013 - 17:58
Posts: 1049
Location: Tulsa, OK - USA

Is there some way to tell if the flashlight is functioning without a battery?

gords1001
gords1001's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 5 months ago
Joined: 05/07/2012 - 14:02
Posts: 5276
Location: wigan england

if you have a 4.2v battery and some wire, or a 4.2v power supply, then yes, using two cr123 cells is worrying as 6v may have killed something, may not, I’m slightly worried about the cell you recieved and hoping like hell the problem is a poor tailcap assembly.

What do you have available to mcgyver a test rig?

tallboybass
tallboybass's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 8 months ago
Joined: 05/23/2013 - 17:58
Posts: 1049
Location: Tulsa, OK - USA

Honestly, I’ll probably just send it back to Amazon. The battery is for sure no good, as it only charges to 1.15v and is bulging on the + end so it only goes in from the top. The light looks like they may have sent it out to someone else before too.

Thank you, gords, for helping…this is quite disappointing because the light itself seems perfectly sized and I’ll bet it throws enough for me. Sad

gords1001
gords1001's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 5 months ago
Joined: 05/07/2012 - 14:02
Posts: 5276
Location: wigan england

I wouldn’t write off the c8 form factor yet, serious suggestion, you can get a half decent but trust worthy charger from fasttech, I have used one for a while and bought a few as gift packs for friends and family, cells, fasttech is good for them too and they have a selection of c8’s under the convoy and fandyfire brands. May be worth a look.

For the best of the best of the best of the best c8’s though, as dale suggested, go to intloutdoor, order the new xintdc8 v4 and be happy.

tallboybass
tallboybass's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 8 months ago
Joined: 05/23/2013 - 17:58
Posts: 1049
Location: Tulsa, OK - USA

gords1001 wrote:
I wouldn’t write off the c8 form factor yet, serious suggestion, you can get a half decent but trust worthy charger from fasttech, I have used one for a while and bought a few as gift packs for friends and family, cells, fasttech is good for them too and they have a selection of c8’s under the convoy and fandyfire brands. May be worth a look.

For the best of the best of the best of the best c8’s though, as dale suggested, go to intloutdoor, order the new xintdc8 v4 and be happy.


Yes, I love FastTech, but it’s at least a week and a half to get anything.

Got an i4 Intellicharger, works great, but not on a bad battery!

What I ‘think’ I really want is an EA4 w/XM-L2, but can’t justify the $$$. This C8 probably would’ve been fine for what I’m going to do with it, might just order another.

Rusty Joe
Rusty Joe's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 18 hours ago
Joined: 07/24/2011 - 00:22
Posts: 3904
Location: Houston, TX

tallboybass wrote:
Honestly, I’ll probably just send it back to Amazon. The battery is for sure no good, as it only charges to 1.15v and is bulging on the + end so it only goes in from the top. The light looks like they may have sent it out to someone else before too.

Thank you, gords, for helping…this is quite disappointing because the light itself seems perfectly sized and I’ll bet it throws enough for me. Sad

Hi, Tallboybass…

One thing to remember about C8s (I’ve had 12 of them!) is you never want to take a chance on a super-cheapie unless you are going to mod it. Most are so cheap they will fall apart in a month of regular or light use. The V4 from Intloutdoors is always reputable and Lightmalls has the best cheap C8s and C12s with bukus of output (1,000+). Even above the KD versions, I always go there when buying one for someone else.

Also, when you see cheapie batteries being sold with lights, always count on them not working. Or, if they work at all, will only have 10 minutes of runtime or so. I’ve used ones that did work to power XR-Es with their low current since they weren’t good for anything else. And never ever compromise by buying cheap batteries for your lights.

Go all out and get the V4 or a C8/C12 from Lightmalls, or you could make an XPG2 de-domed 501B like a few of our members have done for real easy EDC use. If you are going to keep it with you a whole lot of the time, I’d never go above C8 form-factor. Then again, there are a lot of good suggestions here. And nothing wrong with getting two or three switch-out lights like I have and when you get bored with one, grab the next in line!

gords1001
gords1001's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 5 months ago
Joined: 05/07/2012 - 14:02
Posts: 5276
Location: wigan england

building vs buying opens up many many many options, I do hold that the best throw/lumen ratio is the xp-g2 and I do intend to build up an xp-g2 c8 for myself, I already have pills and reflectors to try out, just need another good c8 host (cnqg) and to order qlite drivers and noctigon xp-g2’s,

If any of this sounds interesting I’d be happy, once I’d confirmed all the bits go together to build one for someone interested.

tallboybass
tallboybass's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 8 months ago
Joined: 05/23/2013 - 17:58
Posts: 1049
Location: Tulsa, OK - USA

The uf-v3 looks very interesting…from Tmart it looks like it could be here in 5-6 days. Does it throw as well as a C8?

Which ‘affordable’ battery should I order from Tmart?

gords1001
gords1001's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 5 months ago
Joined: 05/07/2012 - 14:02
Posts: 5276
Location: wigan england

if its driven right, it should do, I got one from ebay and, well……it needed sorting, I threw a spare driver in and an xp-g2, its still no where near the limit but its a marked improvement.

Don’t let this put you off, it is a real nice little light with a wonderful beam, just I like modding lights, the uf-v3 is one of the better mod bases imo because of its reflector. Its a different than typical design and raises a nice light up to a great light.

tallboybass
tallboybass's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 8 months ago
Joined: 05/23/2013 - 17:58
Posts: 1049
Location: Tulsa, OK - USA

gords1001 wrote:
if its driven right, it should do, I got one from ebay and, well……it needed sorting, I threw a spare driver in and an xp-g2, its still no where near the limit but its a marked improvement.

Don’t let this put you off, it is a real nice little light with a wonderful beam, just I like modding lights, the uf-v3 is one of the better mod bases imo because of its reflector. Its a different than typical design and raises a nice light up to a great light.


If left bone stock, does it throw very well? It says the emitter is ‘CREE U2’ is that an XM-L U2?

I have a tiny little EC1 that throws to 160m on RCR123s according to ‘selfbuilt’, it would be nice to get to 300-400m with this light.

manxbuggy1
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 4 days ago
Joined: 04/24/2012 - 07:27
Posts: 721
Location: Montgomery, Texas

Like some of the guys have said, if you are capable of modding the UF-V3 is a very capable little host. In stock form with an xml u2 emitter it does pretty poorly in the throw department. It does have a really nice beam because of the unique reflector. Mine just came pretty under driven.

gords1001
gords1001's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 5 months ago
Joined: 05/07/2012 - 14:02
Posts: 5276
Location: wigan england

it’ll certainly do 200m or so, not too sure how much more, it is supposed to be an xm-l u2, but in all honesty, how do you expect to prove that? Smile

tallboybass
tallboybass's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 years 8 months ago
Joined: 05/23/2013 - 17:58
Posts: 1049
Location: Tulsa, OK - USA

I’d rather not go the modding route. It’d be nice to buy it, use it and love it! (you may say I’m a dreamer…)

They say the C8 with XM-L T6 throws pretty well, I guess it depends on your definition of ‘pretty well’, right?

Sounds like the XinTD V4 is the way to go, but $30 and a loooong wait don’t sound too appealing.

The C8, if it had WORKed, it would have been fine, I’ll bet. Smile

Pages