Review: TinyDeal giveaway "UltraFire 503B"

7 posts / 0 new
Last post
xelario
xelario's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 04/25/2014 - 05:50
Posts: 388
Location: EU
Review: TinyDeal giveaway "UltraFire 503B"

Here’s a TinyReview of a TinyDeal giveaway light, the UltraFire 503B Cree XM-L T6 900lm 5-Mode White Zooming Flashlight – Black :

Notice the writing is different than advertised (;)):

Size comparison with other well known zoomies (mouse over to see zoomed in):

The pictures on TinyDeal website are accurately portraying the quality of the body. My sample didn’t come with any major scratches or imperfections of the anodising, except on the 90 degree angle edges, just like in this picture:

Because these edges aren’t rounded, they are kind of sharp-ish. Don’t get me wrong, I doubt you could get scratched or otherwise injured by handling the light without trying hard, it’s just not as smooth to the touch.

In pieces:

The threads came in dry, after some grease they are nice and smooth, no complaints there. I think the tail end o-ring is too small, because it doesn’t seem to add any resistance when screwing the tailcap on, so I suspect it isn’t making sufficient contact with the tailcap thus making the light not waterproof. The zooming mechanism o-ring, on the other hand, provides a nice amount of friction and the whole zooming action feels very good – not too loose and not too tight.

The zooming mechanism o-ring is not on the pill, like in a Sipik or Zeusray, it’s on the body, so spinning the zoom head counter clockwise does not unscrew the pill, to do that you have to hold it with your finger. The head slides freely over the pill, and if you grease the pill I doubt it could ever get unscreewed by rotating the zoom head.

Driver board is 17mm in diameter. The pill is hollow, with about 12mm of empty space between the driver and LED board:

The driver is a pretty much standard 5 mode one: High > Medium > Low > Strobe > SOS. And it has memory. Thankfully, using pencil mod I managed to make memory only last for less than a second. This way a quick half press still advances the modes, but a slightly longer one (or a full on-off cycle) defaults it back to high. Goodbye accidental blinky modes!

This light uses an XM-L T6 LED on a 16mm aluminium base.

The beam in flood position is wide, but not completely round, a tiny bit squared off. It’s hard to capture it on my crappy camera, the squareness is a bit more pronounced in real life:

Zoom position has two bright rings:

Tailcap current reading was done with a freshly charged protected Samsung ICR18560-26F.
High: 2.50A
Medium: 1.31A Low:
0.37A

In conclusion, it’s a decent light. Yeah, the quality is not perfect, the tail end o-ring is too small, beam has rings, no clip, hollow pill, those damn blinky modes… But that’s what you expect for the price. Unless it’s a Zeusray Wink

Edited by: xelario on 10/08/2014 - 09:19
WarHawk-AVG
WarHawk-AVG's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 6 months ago
Joined: 01/04/2014 - 06:47
Posts: 5071
Location: H-Town

Solid pill? Driver diameter?

Either way, looks like there is about 1/4-1/2” of space potting could be added to enhance cooling

Is the pill in any way other than a o-ring touching the zoomie part (aka if you spin the zoom head counter clockwise could it unscrew the pill)?

Either way, interesting little zoomie

xelario
xelario's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 04/25/2014 - 05:50
Posts: 388
Location: EU

WarHawk-AVG wrote:
Solid pill? Driver diameter?

Either way, looks like there is about 1/4-1/2” of space potting could be added to enhance cooling

Is the pill in any way other than a o-ring touching the zoomie part (aka if you spin the zoom head counter clockwise could it unscrew the pill)?

Either way, interesting little zoomie

The pill is hollow, with about 12mm of empty space between the driver and LED board. Driver is 17mm in diameter.
The o-ring is not on the pill, like in a Sipik or Zeusray, it’s on the body, so spinning the zoom head counter clockwise does not unscrew the pill, to do that you have to hold it with your finger. The head slides freely over the pill, and if you grease the pill I doubt it could ever get unscreewed by rotating the zoom head.

WarHawk-AVG
WarHawk-AVG's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 6 months ago
Joined: 01/04/2014 - 06:47
Posts: 5071
Location: H-Town

xelario wrote:
WarHawk-AVG wrote:
Solid pill? Driver diameter?

Either way, looks like there is about 1/4-1/2” of space potting could be added to enhance cooling

Is the pill in any way other than a o-ring touching the zoomie part (aka if you spin the zoom head counter clockwise could it unscrew the pill)?

Either way, interesting little zoomie

The pill is hollow, with about 12mm of empty space between the driver and LED board. Driver is 17mm in diameter.
The o-ring is not on the pill, like in a Sipik or Zeusray, it’s on the body, so spinning the zoom head counter clockwise does not unscrew the pill, to do that you have to hold it with your finger. The head slides freely over the pill, and if you grease the pill I doubt it could ever get unscreewed by rotating the zoom head.

Nice…those type designs of the pills really are much better than the ones where the o-ring is on the pill and touches the zoom head…unscrew the daggum pill…bleh
MaleNurse
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 8 months ago
Joined: 12/06/2014 - 07:54
Posts: 189
Location: Norway

First off: I’m aware that this thread is from 2014 Smile

I was none the less hoping you happen to know what the diameter of the MCPCB?

I’m looking at one of these from FT (https://www.fasttech.com/products/1601/10004541/1347201-ultrafire-503b-l...) with plans to modify it. (New driver, LED and possibly mod the pill).

But would need to know the MCPCB size Smile

MN

xelario
xelario's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 months 2 weeks ago
Joined: 04/25/2014 - 05:50
Posts: 388
Location: EU
MaleNurse wrote:
But would need to know the MCPCB size Smile
xelario wrote:
This light uses an XM-L T6 LED on a 16mm aluminium base.

Translation: 16mm MCPCB Wink

MaleNurse
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 8 months ago
Joined: 12/06/2014 - 07:54
Posts: 189
Location: Norway

Aaaww. :8)

Really should have read the OP once more…

Thanks Smile