[07-MAR-2016] Current status of BLF upgrade process

777 posts / 0 new
Last post
keengeorge
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 2 weeks ago
Joined: 04/26/2014 - 01:04
Posts: 1819
Location: Australia

sb56637 wrote:
I'm not declaring it officially ready yet. There are still some kinks to work out in my sorry excuse for “code”, and additionally the sudden surge of outgoing messages has triggered our hosting provider’s automated outgoing mail threshold (which is normally a good thing since it usually happens when people’s servers get compromised). So I’m waiting for them to reply to my request to manually raise the limit.

So now you have a good excuse to have that cold one.  Wink  Smile

 

sb56637
sb56637's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 20 min ago
Joined: 01/08/2010 - 09:29
Posts: 6995
Location: The Light

keengeorge wrote:

sb56637 wrote:
I’m not declaring it officially ready yet. There are still some kinks to work out in my sorry excuse for “code”, and additionally the sudden surge of outgoing messages has triggered our hosting provider’s automated outgoing mail threshold (which is normally a good thing since it usually happens when people’s servers get compromised). So I’m waiting for them to reply to my request to manually raise the limit.

So now you have a good excuse to have that cold one.  Wink  Smile


 


Brilliant idea!

Budget Light Forum ...where Frugal meets with Flashlight!

MRsDNF
MRsDNF's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 12/22/2011 - 21:18
Posts: 13473
Location: A light beam away from the missus in the land of Aus.

Wow. Your post count is clicking over quicker than my power meter. Orsm work sb. When do you get back to the cave to hibernate? Big Smile

 

djozz quotes, "it came with chinese lettering that is chinese to me".

                      "My man mousehole needs one too"

old4570 said "I'm not an expert , so don't suffer from any such technical restrictions".

Old-Lumens. Highly admired and cherished member of Budget Light Forum. 11.5.2011 - 20.12.16. RIP.

 

sb56637
sb56637's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 20 min ago
Joined: 01/08/2010 - 09:29
Posts: 6995
Location: The Light
MRsDNF wrote:
Wow. Your post count is clicking over quicker than my power meter. Orsm work sb. When do you get back to the cave to hibernate? Big Smile

Hopefully soon. Smile There is finally a dark tunnel at the end of the light. Silly

Budget Light Forum ...where Frugal meets with Flashlight!

raccoon city
raccoon city's picture
Offline
Last seen: 25 min 50 sec ago
Joined: 10/06/2010 - 02:35
Posts: 15530
Location: रॅकून सिटी Palm Desert CA USA

sb56637 wrote:
There is finally a dark tunnel at the end of the light. Tongue

Go towards the dark!  Beer

DBSAR
DBSAR's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 week 4 days ago
Joined: 02/11/2013 - 23:28
Posts: 6332
Location: Newfoundland, Canada

keengeorge wrote:
DBSAR wrote:
definitely thanks go to SB for his hard work! Smile

Yep, & not to this upstart that calls himself “administrator”

I wander if SB met him in his looooonng Test, Test, Testing journey.
.

+ 1 Beer

That Canadian flashlight guy & Lantern Guru -Den / DBSARlight

southland
southland's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 2 weeks ago
Joined: 11/04/2012 - 07:15
Posts: 3205
Location: Georgia, USA

Now getting emails to subscribed thread new posts, tried to change and got error message, probably something you are working on.

Mike C
Mike C's picture
Offline
Last seen: 54 min 21 sec ago
Joined: 01/22/2014 - 08:03
Posts: 2527
Location: Sweden

southland wrote:
Now getting emails to subscribed thread new posts, tried to change and got error message, probably something you are working on.

We where also getting them even though that option was disabled. Hoping that’s fixed too Smile
sb56637
sb56637's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 20 min ago
Joined: 01/08/2010 - 09:29
Posts: 6995
Location: The Light
southland wrote:
Now getting emails to subscribed thread new posts, tried to change and got error message, probably something you are working on.

Sorry, what exactly did you try to change that didn’t work?

Budget Light Forum ...where Frugal meets with Flashlight!

sb56637
sb56637's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 20 min ago
Joined: 01/08/2010 - 09:29
Posts: 6995
Location: The Light
Mike C wrote:
southland wrote:
Now getting emails to subscribed thread new posts, tried to change and got error message, probably something you are working on.
We where also getting them even though that option was disabled. Hoping that’s fixed too Smile

I think the option to disable mail notifications should work now. But please note that the old option no longer exists, and you will have to disable it again if you don’t want to receive any email notifications for subscribed threads..

Budget Light Forum ...where Frugal meets with Flashlight!

southland
southland's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 2 weeks ago
Joined: 11/04/2012 - 07:15
Posts: 3205
Location: Georgia, USA

Went back to see exactly what I did. Account, edit, subscriptions, checked do not send email notifications. While I was there I tried again and it worked without the error message. Think it’s now fixed, thanks SB.

sb56637
sb56637's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 20 min ago
Joined: 01/08/2010 - 09:29
Posts: 6995
Location: The Light
southland wrote:
Went back to see exactly what I did. Account, edit, subscriptions, checked do not send email notifications. While I was there I tried again and it worked without the error message. Think it’s now fixed, thanks SB.

Sweet, thanks a lot for letting me know.

Budget Light Forum ...where Frugal meets with Flashlight!

Dusty
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 51 min ago
Joined: 12/03/2015 - 07:58
Posts: 392
Location: Left Coast of Michigan

ToyKeeper wrote:
Dusty wrote:
I have a request, if it’s possible. After passing the first page of search results, if you read a thread and hit the back button, it takes you back to the 1st page of search results, no matter what page of results your on.

There’s always the option of opening in a new tab, if you don’t want the state of the first tab disturbed.

I probably never would have noticed the issue you described, since I’ve long been in the habit of using new tabs instead of expecting ‘back’ to produce the same state as a page was in before. The web hasn’t had reliable ‘back’ behavior since functional javascript got popular and produced “Web 2.0”.

Thanks TK,
Never thought of that option.

Bug

J-Dub74
J-Dub74's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 03/14/2015 - 17:17
Posts: 2231
Location: Michigan

ToyKeeper wrote:
I got worried when I saw 64 new messages in just a few hours. I thought the thread had been attacked by a drama llama.

NOPE! Chuck Testa.


You should have been worried that the ramping firmware you developed had gone AI and emailed you once for each mode. Big Smile

I would have thought it was Bistro but as soon as he went live he hotwired a BMW and headed for the nearest Starbucks. Wink

J-Dub74
J-Dub74's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 03/14/2015 - 17:17
Posts: 2231
Location: Michigan

jacktheclipper wrote:
Here is sb performing a test
What he does would make most of us stressed
But he works with a smile
In good cheer all the while
Making BudgetLightForum the best

We all wonder , just when does he rest ?
Every problem is quickly addressed
Making changes each day
Nothing gets in his way
He is simply a man on a quest

We are having fun at his behest
All who visit here are soon impressed
It becomes very clear
That as soon as you’re here
You’ll be treated like a special guest

Nice!

J-Dub74
J-Dub74's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 03/14/2015 - 17:17
Posts: 2231
Location: Michigan

Well done SB. Don’t let that administrator guy take any credit for your work. You know how administrators can be…

sb56637
sb56637's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 20 min ago
Joined: 01/08/2010 - 09:29
Posts: 6995
Location: The Light

J-Dub74 wrote:
jacktheclipper wrote:
Here is sb performing a test
What he does would make most of us stressed
But he works with a smile
In good cheer all the while
Making BudgetLightForum the best

We all wonder , just when does he rest ?
Every problem is quickly addressed
Making changes each day
Nothing gets in his way
He is simply a man on a quest

We are having fun at his behest
All who visit here are soon impressed
It becomes very clear
That as soon as you’re here
You’ll be treated like a special guest

Nice!

Big +1. Sorry I almost missed this one during my heated arguments about the testing process with “administrator”. Smile

Budget Light Forum ...where Frugal meets with Flashlight!

sb56637
sb56637's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 20 min ago
Joined: 01/08/2010 - 09:29
Posts: 6995
Location: The Light
J-Dub74 wrote:
Well done SB. Don’t let that administrator guy take any credit for your work. You know how administrators can be…
Big Smile

Budget Light Forum ...where Frugal meets with Flashlight!

J-Dub74
J-Dub74's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 03/14/2015 - 17:17
Posts: 2231
Location: Michigan
sb56637 wrote:
J-Dub74 wrote:
Well done SB. Don’t let that administrator guy take any credit for your work. You know how administrators can be…
Big Smile
pilotdog68
pilotdog68's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 weeks 17 hours ago
Joined: 05/30/2013 - 23:31
Posts: 6420
Location: Held against my will in IOWA, USA

I see the email system is working again, congrats! I’m sure that was a lot of work.

I’ve gotten used to not having them though…. and I kind of like the “peace and quiet”. I think I’m about to go on an “Unsubscribe spree”. Steve

My Favorite Modded Lights: X6R, S8 , X2R , M6, SP03

Major Projects:  Illuminated Tailcap, TripleDown/TripleStack Driver

T18
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 8 months ago
Joined: 02/14/2016 - 15:29
Posts: 1163

Subscriptions email shocker this morning, what a wonderful surprise, thank you for all your hard and must be frustrating work..!

sb56637
sb56637's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 20 min ago
Joined: 01/08/2010 - 09:29
Posts: 6995
Location: The Light
T18 wrote:
Subscriptions email shocker this morning, what a wonderful surprise, thank you for all your hard and must be frustrating work..!

My pleasure, glad it’s working. And sorry if anybody got hit with a deluge of mails until I got the system working correctly.

Budget Light Forum ...where Frugal meets with Flashlight!

J-Dub74
J-Dub74's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 03/14/2015 - 17:17
Posts: 2231
Location: Michigan

pilotdog68 wrote:
I see the email system is working again, congrats! I’m sure that was a lot of work.

I’ve gotten used to not having them though…. and I kind of like the “peace and quiet”. I think I’m about to go on an “Unsubscribe spree”. Steve


LOL Me too. I forgot how quickly my inbox fills up. Now if only we could set it up to only send email notifications for threads we start or select to be notified for. I’m picturing SB doing a face-palm right about now. Is there a cake in the area that I may posses and also ingest? Innocent
sb56637
sb56637's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 20 min ago
Joined: 01/08/2010 - 09:29
Posts: 6995
Location: The Light

J-Dub74 wrote:
pilotdog68 wrote:
I see the email system is working again, congrats! I’m sure that was a lot of work.

I’ve gotten used to not having them though…. and I kind of like the “peace and quiet”. I think I’m about to go on an “Unsubscribe spree”. Steve


LOL Me too. I forgot how quickly my inbox fills up. Now if only we could set it up to only send email notifications for threads we start or select to be notified for. I’m picturing SB doing a face-palm right about now. Is there a cake in the area that I may posses and also ingest? Innocent

Ha! Smile I’m not opposed to the idea, but I probably won’t get it to very soon.

Budget Light Forum ...where Frugal meets with Flashlight!

T18
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 8 months ago
Joined: 02/14/2016 - 15:29
Posts: 1163
sb56637 wrote:
T18 wrote:
Subscriptions email shocker this morning, what a wonderful surprise, thank you for all your hard and must be frustrating work..!

My pleasure, glad it’s working. And sorry if anybody got hit with a deluge of mails until I got the system working correctly.


Ha Ha Ha that’s the word I was trying to think of, Deluged.. But really a smiling moment and great way to start the day,
Kronos thread alone I recall at last glance was something like 200+ since last going to the thread which was lesson learned, if you follow go follow more often so that count doesn’t get so high,
You really don’t realize just how many threads you’ve been watching or not consistently until you turn on your email one day and suddenly there’s seemingly hundreds of notices.
I’m with PD68 and others and going to be on a unsubscribe mission,
Thank you SB, This upgrade must be just maddening, But I’m sure glad theirs people like you making life for people like me FUN ..!!
sb56637
sb56637's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 20 min ago
Joined: 01/08/2010 - 09:29
Posts: 6995
Location: The Light
T18 wrote:
This upgrade must be just maddening,

That pretty much sums it up. Smile But everybody here has been very gracious and patient and appreciative, which makes it a lot easier and much more motivating to get things working.

Budget Light Forum ...where Frugal meets with Flashlight!

sb56637
sb56637's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 20 min ago
Joined: 01/08/2010 - 09:29
Posts: 6995
Location: The Light

Update: 02-MAR-2016
I’m now testing another improvement to the email notification system so that it will only send notification emails to users that haven’t been active during the past 10 minutes. (I can easily adjust the time if needed. Note that “active” is defined as clicking links or posting, not just having a browser tab open.) I hope this will drastically reduce the amount of notification emails for heavy users during the hours that they are active.

And also remember that the system only sends one email per user thread until the user returns (logged in) to re-visit the thread.

Budget Light Forum ...where Frugal meets with Flashlight!

raccoon city
raccoon city's picture
Offline
Last seen: 25 min 50 sec ago
Joined: 10/06/2010 - 02:35
Posts: 15530
Location: रॅकून सिटी Palm Desert CA USA

sb56637 wrote:
I’m now testing another improvement to the email notification system so that it will only send notification emails to users that haven’t been active during the past 10 minutes.

Thanks for your work sb, but for me this is not an improvement.

I would prefer to receive an email right when there is a new post in one of my subscribed threads.

sb56637
sb56637's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 hours 20 min ago
Joined: 01/08/2010 - 09:29
Posts: 6995
Location: The Light

raccoon city wrote:

sb56637 wrote:
I’m now testing another improvement to the email notification system so that it will only send notification emails to users that haven’t been active during the past 10 minutes.

Thanks for your work sb, but for me this is not an improvement.


I would prefer to receive an email right when there is a new post in one of my subscribed threads.


OK, I can probably make this an option. I’m going to leave it on by default until I have a bit more time to work on it.

Budget Light Forum ...where Frugal meets with Flashlight!

saypat
saypat's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 days 5 hours ago
Joined: 07/13/2011 - 20:32
Posts: 3579
Location: Calif

I’m getting e-mail notifications again! Hoo-yah! Gracias.

Pages