[07-MAR-2016] Current status of BLF upgrade process

777 posts / 0 new
Last post
Bort
Bort's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 days 15 hours ago
Joined: 06/01/2012 - 17:15
Posts: 7471
Location: Holding the proverbial flashlight

sb56637 wrote:
ToyKeeper wrote:
Bort wrote:
Can we fix the signature looking like part of the post problem, i forget how it was done before but now signatures don’t have a clear psychological separation from posts (was it just more spaces before?)

FWIW, this is relatively simple with a few lines of CSS. Here’s what I’m using:

Thanks very much ToyKeeper! Looks great. I just implemented this style. Now, is there any way to convince Bort to remove the huge blank vertical space at the end of his signature? Big Smile


subtlety of course

I kinda wondered if that 255 character problem was going to resolved on your end, bringing back what was there before.
I’ve also considered if there had not been software upgrade i would have stuck with what i had, yet i have other ideas
Way too much contemplation for a signature, probably.

BTW could we add 2 or 3 spaces before the new signature separation line

Edit, i just noticed we no longer have re-input the password to change signatures, very happy, we can now test changes much more quickly Smile

The Journal of Alternative Facts TM

"It is critical that there is a credible academic source for the growing and important discipline of alternative facts. This field of study will just keep winning, and we knew that all the best people would want to be on board. There is a real risk in the world today that people might be getting their information about science from actual scientists"

 

sb56637
sb56637's picture
Offline
Last seen: 22 min 30 sec ago
Joined: 01/08/2010 - 09:29
Posts: 6994
Location: The Light
Bort wrote:
BTW could we add 2 or 3 spaces before the new signature separation line

How’s it look now?

Budget Light Forum ...where Frugal meets with Flashlight!

Bort
Bort's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 days 15 hours ago
Joined: 06/01/2012 - 17:15
Posts: 7471
Location: Holding the proverbial flashlight
sb56637 wrote:
Bort wrote:
BTW could we add 2 or 3 spaces before the new signature separation line

How’s it look now?


cool, thanks

The Journal of Alternative Facts TM

"It is critical that there is a credible academic source for the growing and important discipline of alternative facts. This field of study will just keep winning, and we knew that all the best people would want to be on board. There is a real risk in the world today that people might be getting their information about science from actual scientists"

 

keengeorge
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 2 weeks ago
Joined: 04/26/2014 - 01:04
Posts: 1819
Location: Australia

keengeorge wrote:

sb56637 wrote:

keengeorge wrote:

G'Day SB, smile

Any chance of having back the <Mark Read> button in the top right of each subforum?

Thank you Very Much,

George

Hey there George, we tried that briefly, but it mislead some users into thinking that it would only mark that forum category as read, when in reality it marks the whole thing as read.

Greetings & Salutations SB, smile

 

Did you have that cold one?. Was it a beer, &/or wine, &/or coffee, &/or root beer, &/or whatever else you fancy?  wink

 

Yes, AFAIK I was the one that first reported the ?problem. And then you shifted it to only the forum's "root" page.

But in the past you had a <Mark Read> button at the top right of each subforum which ONLY marked as read the current sub-forum (& Not its own sub-forums Nor ANY other sub-forums).

May be the new button could be called something like <Mark All Topics Read> Or <Mark this Forum Read> Or?

 

Right now, once I have read the threads/posts I find interesting, I have to:

  1). Go to bottom of page

  2). Click on "Forum Tools" menu

  3). Select "Mark All Topics Read"

Instead of just clicking a <Mark All Topics Read> button at the webpage's top right, as was able to do in BLF's previous incarnation.  wink

 

Thank you Very Much for all your Greatly Appreciated work,

Best Regards,

George

G'Day SB, smile

 

I have just noticed that the "Forum Tools" menu at the bottom of each sub-forum page has gone missing.  cry

So now I can't do what I highlighted above to mark a subforum's threads as read (after reading the rest).

 

Please bring it back, &/or give us the <Mark All Topics Read> button back, Please Please Please  wink

 

Best Regards,

George

 

Edit:

And now it IS baaaack.  smile

SB's Magic IS POWERFUL.  wink

sb56637
sb56637's picture
Offline
Last seen: 22 min 30 sec ago
Joined: 01/08/2010 - 09:29
Posts: 6994
Location: The Light
keengeorge wrote:
or give us the <Mark All Topics Read> button back

I managed to kludge together this functionality for individual forum categories. I put the button on the right side when it’s a single forum category, and on the left side for the /forum overview page so they can be easily distinguished at a glance.

Budget Light Forum ...where Frugal meets with Flashlight!

keengeorge
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 2 weeks ago
Joined: 04/26/2014 - 01:04
Posts: 1819
Location: Australia

sb56637 wrote:
keengeorge wrote:
or give us the <Mark All Topics Read> button back

I managed to kludge together this functionality for individual forum categories. I put the button on the right side when it's a single forum category, and on the left side for the @/forum@ overview page so they can be easily distinguished at a glance.

SB's magic is indeed MOST Powerful.  smile wink

 

SB, thank you very Very VERY Much for bringing back the <Mark Read> Button & its functionality.  GREATLY APPRECIATED.  smile

 

Best Regards,

George

hank
hank's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 57 min ago
Joined: 09/04/2011 - 21:52
Posts: 9564
Location: Berkeley, California

In honor of seeing “666 posts, 0 new”
this question

What would it cost to stop running the Google ads for this garbage flashlight?

Quote:
vir3.com
sb56637
sb56637's picture
Offline
Last seen: 22 min 30 sec ago
Joined: 01/08/2010 - 09:29
Posts: 6994
Location: The Light

hank wrote:
In honor of seeing “666 posts, 0 new”
this question

What would it cost to stop running the “Google ads for this garbage flashlight?

Quote:
vir3.com

Thanks for letting me know, it’s blocked now. And just a small disclaimer: I don’t control which ads Google does serve up, I can only block specific URLs so they don’t get served. And plus the ads are highly variable from one user to another based on a million factors, so I have no idea what sort of Google ads other users are receiving.

Budget Light Forum ...where Frugal meets with Flashlight!

hank
hank's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 hours 57 min ago
Joined: 09/04/2011 - 21:52
Posts: 9564
Location: Berkeley, California

and thank you. Always.

Halo...
Halo...'s picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 7 months ago
Joined: 12/15/2011 - 02:39
Posts: 3304
Location: Halo island

The the line delineating signatures is appearing as a fine dotted line. Can that be avoided? :-/
I have to say it’s bothering my eyes, by a surprising amount. Crying I keep unintentionally trying to focus it clearer but the dots are really just too small to be clear on my screen.

ToyKeeper
ToyKeeper's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 hours 21 min ago
Joined: 01/12/2013 - 14:40
Posts: 10648
Location: (469219) 2016 HO3

BTW, the “!important” keywords in the CSS I posted are probably not needed if the CSS comes directly from BLF. It’s often needed in external theme overrides, but not usually in the original CSS.

The part about removing the “—” div is probably not needed either, if you can make the site simply not send that part to begin with. I don’t know how hard it is to change the html output though. IIRC BLF used to use a <div class=“signature”>, but now it uses <div class=“clear”><div>—</div> at the beginning of the signature. It’s harder to match without potential side effects.

However, the new version of BLF seems to have better markup for a variety of other things. It used to be that half the divs were called “block” of some sort. So I had to use totally opaque matching rules like “div#block-block-1.block.block-block”.

sb56637
sb56637's picture
Offline
Last seen: 22 min 30 sec ago
Joined: 01/08/2010 - 09:29
Posts: 6994
Location: The Light
ToyKeeper wrote:
BTW, the “!important” keywords in the CSS I posted are probably not needed if the CSS comes directly from BLF. It’s often needed in external theme overrides, but not usually in the original CSS.

Actually I was meaning to ask you what the !important does, I’ve never seen that before.

Quote:
The part about removing the “—” div is probably not needed either, if you can make the site simply not send that part to begin with. I don’t know how hard it is to change the html output though.

It’s definitely easier to hide it. Smile That div seems to come from a different module, and I prefer to make all the changes in one spot wherever possible.

Budget Light Forum ...where Frugal meets with Flashlight!

sb56637
sb56637's picture
Offline
Last seen: 22 min 30 sec ago
Joined: 01/08/2010 - 09:29
Posts: 6994
Location: The Light
Halo… wrote:
The the line delineating signatures is appearing as a fine dotted line. Can that be avoided? :-/ I have to say it’s bothering my eyes, by a surprising amount. Crying I keep unintentionally trying to focus it clearer but the dots are really just too small to be clear on my screen.

How’s it look now?

Budget Light Forum ...where Frugal meets with Flashlight!

Halo...
Halo...'s picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 7 months ago
Joined: 12/15/2011 - 02:39
Posts: 3304
Location: Halo island
Beer Beer

Better. Thank you Sb!

Bort
Bort's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 days 15 hours ago
Joined: 06/01/2012 - 17:15
Posts: 7471
Location: Holding the proverbial flashlight

Is there plans to bring back the mouseover ability?

The Journal of Alternative Facts TM

"It is critical that there is a credible academic source for the growing and important discipline of alternative facts. This field of study will just keep winning, and we knew that all the best people would want to be on board. There is a real risk in the world today that people might be getting their information about science from actual scientists"

 

sb56637
sb56637's picture
Offline
Last seen: 22 min 30 sec ago
Joined: 01/08/2010 - 09:29
Posts: 6994
Location: The Light
Bort wrote:
Is there plans to bring back the mouseover ability?

Yep, it’s the last (and next) item on the todo list.

Budget Light Forum ...where Frugal meets with Flashlight!

Bort
Bort's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 days 15 hours ago
Joined: 06/01/2012 - 17:15
Posts: 7471
Location: Holding the proverbial flashlight
sb56637 wrote:
Bort wrote:
Is there plans to bring back the mouseover ability?

Yep, it’s the last (and next) item on the todo list.


cool, i should have checked that before asking Blushing

Edit: We need a new smiley, is there a homer simpson d’oh smiley available?

The Journal of Alternative Facts TM

"It is critical that there is a credible academic source for the growing and important discipline of alternative facts. This field of study will just keep winning, and we knew that all the best people would want to be on board. There is a real risk in the world today that people might be getting their information about science from actual scientists"

 

keengeorge
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 2 weeks ago
Joined: 04/26/2014 - 01:04
Posts: 1819
Location: Australia

Greetings & Salutations SB, smile

 

In BLF's previous incarnation, we could select in Settings whether we wanted to use the Advanced Post Editor or the Simple Post Editor by default when posting.

Any chance of bringing this setting back?  As right now there is no choice, & the default is the Simple Post Editor.

 

Thank you Very Much for all you are doing for us. GREATLY Appreciated.  smile

Best Regards,

George

 

Bort
Bort's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 days 15 hours ago
Joined: 06/01/2012 - 17:15
Posts: 7471
Location: Holding the proverbial flashlight

I feel bad adding to SBs workload but links are not posting properly like they used to with the new software Sad

an example
http://budgetlightforum.com/node/45353

The Journal of Alternative Facts TM

"It is critical that there is a credible academic source for the growing and important discipline of alternative facts. This field of study will just keep winning, and we knew that all the best people would want to be on board. There is a real risk in the world today that people might be getting their information about science from actual scientists"

 

sb56637
sb56637's picture
Offline
Last seen: 22 min 30 sec ago
Joined: 01/08/2010 - 09:29
Posts: 6994
Location: The Light

Bort wrote:
I feel bad adding to SBs workload but links are not posting properly like they used to with the new software Sad

an example
http://budgetlightforum.com/node/45353

Ok, a made a little change. It seems to fix the links, but I’m not sure if there will be other side effects.

Budget Light Forum ...where Frugal meets with Flashlight!

sb56637
sb56637's picture
Offline
Last seen: 22 min 30 sec ago
Joined: 01/08/2010 - 09:29
Posts: 6994
Location: The Light

Test http://www.banggood.com/BLF-A6-CREE-XPL-3D-74modes-Flashlight-Nitecore-UM20-2×18650-p-998532.html

http://www.banggood.com/BLF-A6-CREE-XPL-1600LM-7-4modes-EDC-LED-Flashlight-p-991823.html

Budget Light Forum ...where Frugal meets with Flashlight!

sb56637
sb56637's picture
Offline
Last seen: 22 min 30 sec ago
Joined: 01/08/2010 - 09:29
Posts: 6994
Location: The Light

sb56637 wrote:
Test http://www.banggood.com/BLF-A6-CREE-XPL-3D-74modes-Flashlight-Nitecore-UM20-2×18650-p-998532.html

http://www.banggood.com/BLF-A6-CREE-XPL-1600LM-7-4modes-EDC-LED-Flashlight-p-991823.html

Quote myself.

Budget Light Forum ...where Frugal meets with Flashlight!

sb56637
sb56637's picture
Offline
Last seen: 22 min 30 sec ago
Joined: 01/08/2010 - 09:29
Posts: 6994
Location: The Light

Pretty picture:

Budget Light Forum ...where Frugal meets with Flashlight!

Bort
Bort's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 days 15 hours ago
Joined: 06/01/2012 - 17:15
Posts: 7471
Location: Holding the proverbial flashlight

sb56637 wrote:
Bort wrote:
I feel bad adding to SBs workload but links are not posting properly like they used to with the new software Sad

an example
http://budgetlightforum.com/node/45353

Ok, a made a little change. It seems to fix the links, but I’m not sure if there will be other side effects.


Common boilerplate side effects from treatments include nausea, dry mouth, headache, dizziness. :GRADE:

The Journal of Alternative Facts TM

"It is critical that there is a credible academic source for the growing and important discipline of alternative facts. This field of study will just keep winning, and we knew that all the best people would want to be on board. There is a real risk in the world today that people might be getting their information about science from actual scientists"

 

sb56637
sb56637's picture
Offline
Last seen: 22 min 30 sec ago
Joined: 01/08/2010 - 09:29
Posts: 6994
Location: The Light

Wink

Budget Light Forum ...where Frugal meets with Flashlight!

sb56637
sb56637's picture
Offline
Last seen: 22 min 30 sec ago
Joined: 01/08/2010 - 09:29
Posts: 6994
Location: The Light

Nope, sorry. If I fix links with dashes in them I end up breaking other more important functions like posting images.

Simple URLs usually work still: http://www.banggood.com/new-arrivals.html

The best way to post those long ugly URLs is by using link text like this.

Budget Light Forum ...where Frugal meets with Flashlight!

Bort
Bort's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 days 15 hours ago
Joined: 06/01/2012 - 17:15
Posts: 7471
Location: Holding the proverbial flashlight

sb56637 wrote:
Nope, sorry. If I fix links with dashes in them I end up breaking other more important functions like posting images.

Simple URLs usually work still: http://www.banggood.com/new-arrivals.html

The best way to post those long ugly URLs is by using link text like this.


why did it work before but not now?

The Journal of Alternative Facts TM

"It is critical that there is a credible academic source for the growing and important discipline of alternative facts. This field of study will just keep winning, and we knew that all the best people would want to be on board. There is a real risk in the world today that people might be getting their information about science from actual scientists"

 

sb56637
sb56637's picture
Offline
Last seen: 22 min 30 sec ago
Joined: 01/08/2010 - 09:29
Posts: 6994
Location: The Light

Bort wrote:
sb56637 wrote:
Nope, sorry. If I fix links with dashes in them I end up breaking other more important functions like posting images.

Simple URLs usually work still: http://www.banggood.com/new-arrivals.html

The best way to post those long ugly URLs is by using link text like this.


why did it work before but not now?

It’s never worked correctly since the upgrade. I tried a way to fix the links, but it broke posting images.

Budget Light Forum ...where Frugal meets with Flashlight!

wight
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 4 weeks ago
Joined: 11/27/2013 - 16:40
Posts: 4969
Location: Virginia, USA

sb56637 wrote:
It’s never worked correctly since the upgrade. I tried a way to fix the links, but it broke posting images.
In what way did the fix break images? It seems like automatically picking out images should be easy since the string starts with a “!” symbol.

Still fine, still on a break. One day I’ll catch up with you folks! previous wight catchup Wink
list of my drivers & variants (A17DD, FET+1 stuff, WIP stuff, etc)

Bort
Bort's picture
Offline
Last seen: 4 days 15 hours ago
Joined: 06/01/2012 - 17:15
Posts: 7471
Location: Holding the proverbial flashlight

sb56637 wrote:
Bort wrote:
sb56637 wrote:
Nope, sorry. If I fix links with dashes in them I end up breaking other more important functions like posting images.

Simple URLs usually work still: http://www.banggood.com/new-arrivals.html

The best way to post those long ugly URLs is by using link text like this.


why did it work before but not now?

It’s never worked correctly since the upgrade. I tried a way to fix the links, but it broke posting images.


i meant before the upgrade

The Journal of Alternative Facts TM

"It is critical that there is a credible academic source for the growing and important discipline of alternative facts. This field of study will just keep winning, and we knew that all the best people would want to be on board. There is a real risk in the world today that people might be getting their information about science from actual scientists"

 

Pages