Nobody wants the new Maglite 6D?

77 posts / 0 new
Last post

Pages

zerodish
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 1 week ago
Joined: 05/31/2014 - 15:32
Posts: 73
Nobody wants the new Maglite 6D?

Perhaps the reason I can’t find any reviews of this is because nobody knows it exists. Perhaps because Maglite has made the part number too much like others in it’s line. The life is impressive. The only thing comparable is the Pelican 8 AA diving light. I’m still waiting for the 4D model since this one would actually fit on my bicycle.

Ouchyfoot
Ouchyfoot's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 months 1 week ago
Joined: 09/01/2012 - 06:15
Posts: 5089
Location: Canada
Bort
Bort's picture
Offline
Last seen: 55 min 53 sec ago
Joined: 06/01/2012 - 17:15
Posts: 8361
Location: Holding the proverbial flashlight

Fueling it would get costly very fast, a 1000+ lumen light running on 4 eneloop AAs is hard to beat.
The only advantage the maglight has is skull smashing power, however a baseball bat is very effective for all your smashing needs.

The Journal of Alternative Facts TM

"It is critical that there is a credible academic source for the growing and important discipline of alternative facts. This field of study will just keep winning, and we knew that all the best people would want to be on board. There is a real risk in the world today that people might be getting their information about science from actual scientists"

 

 

 

comfychair
comfychair's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 years 7 months ago
Joined: 01/12/2013 - 05:39
Posts: 6198

Bort wrote:
Fueling it would get costly very fast, a 1000+ lumen light running on 4 eneloop AAs is hard to beat. The only advantage the maglight has is skull smashing power, however a baseball bat is very effective for all your smashing needs.

What's up with your sig? A link to whatever thread would be fine, you know.

Bort
Bort's picture
Offline
Last seen: 55 min 53 sec ago
Joined: 06/01/2012 - 17:15
Posts: 8361
Location: Holding the proverbial flashlight

comfychair wrote:

Bort wrote:
Fueling it would get costly very fast, a 1000+ lumen light running on 4 eneloop AAs is hard to beat. The only advantage the maglight has is skull smashing power, however a baseball bat is very effective for all your smashing needs.

What’s up with your sig? A link to whatever thread would be fine, you know.


Two threads are linked as well as an exclusive photo which has no thread
I can’t get the spacing right, seems to be a forum software limitation

The Journal of Alternative Facts TM

"It is critical that there is a credible academic source for the growing and important discipline of alternative facts. This field of study will just keep winning, and we knew that all the best people would want to be on board. There is a real risk in the world today that people might be getting their information about science from actual scientists"

 

 

 

comfychair
comfychair's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 years 7 months ago
Joined: 01/12/2013 - 05:39
Posts: 6198

Bort wrote:
I can't get the spacing right, seems to be a forum software limitation

Or maybe no one imagined anyone would try to put a whole web page in their sig. Get rid of it, as it is I have to block all of imgur.com & postimg.org content just to make the threads you post in readable.

Bort
Bort's picture
Offline
Last seen: 55 min 53 sec ago
Joined: 06/01/2012 - 17:15
Posts: 8361
Location: Holding the proverbial flashlight

comfychair wrote:

Bort wrote:
I can’t get the spacing right, seems to be a forum software limitation

Or maybe no one imagined anyone would try to put a whole web page in their sig. Get rid of it


Whatever you say captain Wink
But there is a problem, since I cannot read your reply having not blocked my signature I am unable to discern your exact request Grad

The Journal of Alternative Facts TM

"It is critical that there is a credible academic source for the growing and important discipline of alternative facts. This field of study will just keep winning, and we knew that all the best people would want to be on board. There is a real risk in the world today that people might be getting their information about science from actual scientists"

 

 

 

DB Custom
DB Custom's picture
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 3 days ago
Joined: 01/13/2013 - 22:28
Posts: 20733
Location: Heart of Texas

Awww, no comfort for comfy Sad

I have no problem opening threads with Borts posts even when my internet is practically non-existent in storms. Keep it, whatever you wish Bort. Wink

raccoon city
raccoon city's picture
Online
Last seen: 33 sec ago
Joined: 10/06/2010 - 02:35
Posts: 17321
Location: रॅकून सिटी Palm Desert CA USA

DB Custom wrote:
Keep it, whatever you wish Bort. Wink

+1  :crown:

Texlite
Offline
Last seen: 4 years 3 months ago
Joined: 06/23/2014 - 00:37
Posts: 194

Holy runtime batman, lol!

I’d have never known they released a new one had you not made this thread. I have a couple, one is a red 6D Incan, it was my dads, he bought it in the 70’s. I rebuilt it a while back, new switch, spring, reflector and lens. It never gets touched, I just keep it for sentimental reasons

-Michael.

Bort
Bort's picture
Offline
Last seen: 55 min 53 sec ago
Joined: 06/01/2012 - 17:15
Posts: 8361
Location: Holding the proverbial flashlight

raccoon city wrote:

DB Custom wrote:
Keep it, whatever you wish Bort. Wink

+1  alt=:" />

Beer Beer

Texlite wrote:
Holy runtime batman, lol!

I’d have never known they released a new one had you not made this thread. I have a couple, one is a red 6D Incan, it was my dads, he bought it in the 70’s. I rebuilt it a while back, new switch, spring, reflector and lens. It never gets touched, I just keep it for sentimental reasons

-Michael.


Be sure to check in it once in a while, i have had bad experiences with things rusting or breaking apart if i don’t keep an eye on them every so often. Humidity and dust seem to be the keys

The Journal of Alternative Facts TM

"It is critical that there is a credible academic source for the growing and important discipline of alternative facts. This field of study will just keep winning, and we knew that all the best people would want to be on board. There is a real risk in the world today that people might be getting their information about science from actual scientists"

 

 

 

Hoop
Hoop's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 22 hours ago
Joined: 12/20/2012 - 05:33
Posts: 1068
Location: Spokane, WA

I laughed hysterically when I read the title of this thread. Big Smile

I’m tethering on a 2G cell network, so indeed, Bort ruins BLF for me. I want to see that runtime picture load but it’s gonna be about 5 minutes before that happens.

Bort
Bort's picture
Offline
Last seen: 55 min 53 sec ago
Joined: 06/01/2012 - 17:15
Posts: 8361
Location: Holding the proverbial flashlight

Hoop wrote:
I laughed hysterically when I read the title of this thread. Big Smile

I’m tethering on a 2G cell network, so indeed, Bort ruins BLF for me. I want to see that runtime picture load but it’s gonna be about 5 minutes before that happens.


I should add that to my signature, ruiner of BLF Big Smile
Anyone remember Lumatic, how his constant editing and super large post broke the forum software. I am proud to be in the same boat and all i had to do was link some pictures of flashlights. Who knew breaking the internet was so simple!
Those lumens are evil i tell ya! Innocent

The Journal of Alternative Facts TM

"It is critical that there is a credible academic source for the growing and important discipline of alternative facts. This field of study will just keep winning, and we knew that all the best people would want to be on board. There is a real risk in the world today that people might be getting their information about science from actual scientists"

 

 

 

Hoop
Hoop's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 22 hours ago
Joined: 12/20/2012 - 05:33
Posts: 1068
Location: Spokane, WA

At least you can be proud of something, I suppose.

Ouchyfoot
Ouchyfoot's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 months 1 week ago
Joined: 09/01/2012 - 06:15
Posts: 5089
Location: Canada

Very un-Canadian.

Henk4U2
Henk4U2's picture
Online
Last seen: 10 min 23 sec ago
Joined: 02/13/2014 - 17:52
Posts: 4183
Location: The heart of the Netherlands (GMT+1)

And I thought I had the only computer that practically was brought to a standstill by Bort’s signature. Well, trouble shared is trouble halved. Or is it?

You are a flashaholic if you are forced to come out of the closet, to make room for more flashlights.

Bort
Bort's picture
Offline
Last seen: 55 min 53 sec ago
Joined: 06/01/2012 - 17:15
Posts: 8361
Location: Holding the proverbial flashlight

Henk4U2 wrote:
And I thought I had the only computer that practically was brought to a standstill by Bort’s signature. Well, trouble shared is trouble halved. Or is it?

I have replaced the pictures with smaller versions, one can still click for larger versions, better?

The Journal of Alternative Facts TM

"It is critical that there is a credible academic source for the growing and important discipline of alternative facts. This field of study will just keep winning, and we knew that all the best people would want to be on board. There is a real risk in the world today that people might be getting their information about science from actual scientists"

 

 

 

Hoop
Hoop's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 22 hours ago
Joined: 12/20/2012 - 05:33
Posts: 1068
Location: Spokane, WA

Perfect.

h2o
Offline
Last seen: 3 weeks 6 days ago
Joined: 10/04/2012 - 17:32
Posts: 84

sometimes people sign paper with flourish…to some it is collectible, others messy. Granted these types are usually constant for an individual. personally, I enjoy bort’s changing sigs

Dimbo The Blinky
Dimbo The Blinky's picture
Offline
Last seen: 1 month 1 week ago
Joined: 11/27/2012 - 09:46
Posts: 1626
Location: The Indigo State, USA, Earth

That’s funny right there! It would appear that “nobody” wanted the old 6D Mags either!

I got mine back in the early 90’s for less than a 2AA Mag cost, in the Close-Out/Fire-Sale room of my company’s firearms wholesaler. After a couple of spendy 6*D-cell reloads, plus I’ve never liked the crappy Mag-Hole beam pattern, I stopped using it & now it’s a “rail-like object” for knot tying practice.

I especially disliked the way it would start out fairly bright, but after a few minutes I could tell it was getting dimmer; and then the long slide into darkness, weighing the cost of replacing batteries against my willingness to tolerate the increasing dimness. Not a pleasant experience.

Every time I run across it in the junk closet, I think about putting one of those $15.00 LED upgrades in it + the ~$10 worth of batteries it eats & bringing it out — maybe even do a “shootout” against whatever C8 I happen to have ATM. Then I have to ask “where will I put it?” and the answer is always “right back where it is now”. Sad

If you must carry a flashlight and a club, this is your huckleberry. Run coconuts run!

The dimmest C8 I’ve handled would outshine this log, and could be carried in a pocket. With dirt-cheap/free batteries.

(Here’s my favorite “Mag Mod”: I adjust the head parts so it will make the tightest beam when the head is fully screwed down. Then I leave it screwed down tight. No dust, no moisture, no rattles that way, and no need for the thready-holey “wide” beam again ever.)

Anybody wants a lightly-used 6D Incan Mag, PM me. I’m not making any promises, but I am allergic to waste & this hulking behemoth is wasted as a flashlight.

“There is no darkness but ignorance.”

Bort
Bort's picture
Offline
Last seen: 55 min 53 sec ago
Joined: 06/01/2012 - 17:15
Posts: 8361
Location: Holding the proverbial flashlight

Dimbo The Blinky wrote:
That’s funny right there! It would appear that “nobody” wanted the old 6D Mags either!

I got mine back in the early 90’s for less than a 2AA Mag cost, in the Close-Out/Fire-Sale room of my company’s firearms wholesaler. After a couple of spendy 6*D-cell reloads, plus I’ve never liked the crappy Mag-Hole beam pattern, I stopped using it & now it’s a “rail-like object” for knot tying practice.

I especially disliked the way it would start out fairly bright, but after a few minutes I could tell it was getting dimmer; and then the long slide into darkness, weighing the cost of replacing batteries against my willingness to tolerate the increasing dimness. Not a pleasant experience.

Every time I run across it in the junk closet, I think about putting one of those $15.00 LED upgrades in it + the ~$10 worth of batteries it eats & bringing it out — maybe even do a “shootout” against whatever C8 I happen to have ATM. Then I have to ask “where will I put it?” and the answer is always “right back where it is now”. Sad

If you must carry a flashlight and a club, this is your huckleberry. Run coconuts run!

The dimmest C8 I’ve handled would outshine this log, and could be carried in a pocket. With dirt-cheap/free batteries.

(Here’s my favorite “Mag Mod”: I adjust the head parts so it will make the tightest beam when the head is fully screwed down. Then I leave it screwed down tight. No dust, no moisture, no rattles that way, and no need for the thready-holey “wide” beam again ever.)

Anybody wants a lightly-used 6D Incan Mag, PM me. I’m not making any promises, but I am allergic to waste & this hulking behemoth is wasted as a flashlight.


I completely agree, a Convoy M1 is hard to beat for brightness and portability.
I had forgotten how bad incandescent flashlights are until i got a 18V 25 lumen-ish light that came with a circular saw and runs on 18V power tool batteries, i never use it beyond the first time i tested it, its just useless compared to even an SK68 (which i don’t like either)

The Journal of Alternative Facts TM

"It is critical that there is a credible academic source for the growing and important discipline of alternative facts. This field of study will just keep winning, and we knew that all the best people would want to be on board. There is a real risk in the world today that people might be getting their information about science from actual scientists"

 

 

 

comfychair
comfychair's picture
Offline
Last seen: 5 years 7 months ago
Joined: 01/12/2013 - 05:39
Posts: 6198

raccoon city wrote:

DB Custom wrote:
Keep it, whatever you wish Bort. Wink

+1  :crown:

...says the guy with the sig picture so wide it makes a horizontal scrollbar.

We're getting back to the Kreisler situation again, if you do something just to laugh at people who complain about it, that's trolling.

Ouchyfoot
Ouchyfoot's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 months 1 week ago
Joined: 09/01/2012 - 06:15
Posts: 5089
Location: Canada

Wow! Kreisler. That’s going back a ways. I wondered whatever became of him.

Bort
Bort's picture
Offline
Last seen: 55 min 53 sec ago
Joined: 06/01/2012 - 17:15
Posts: 8361
Location: Holding the proverbial flashlight

comfychair wrote:

raccoon city wrote:

DB Custom wrote:
Keep it, whatever you wish Bort. Wink

+1  alt=:" />



…says the guy with the sig picture so wide it makes a horizontal scrollbar.


We’re getting back to the Kreisler situation again, if you do something just to laugh at people who complain about it, that’s trolling.


Why do you have the authority to tell everyone else what to do?

All i did wrong is to have 3 pictures of flashlights, on a flashlight forum Facepalm

The funny thing is that they are only temporary anyways, and i even cut the image sizes (twice) for people with slow connections, i liked the way they were before, when i view BLF on my cell phone the full size pics were able to be zoomed in and they looked great on an IPS screen compared to my TN panel monitor.

My goal is not to troll anybody, but unless SB chimes in and has a problem with my signature its staying the way it is till i feel like changing it. SB has a balanced view of things and i respect his judgement because he has demonstrated wisdom many times. So that means you will have to deal with it. My photos are not offensive or controversial or risque or anything else, they are a bunch of flashlights

The Journal of Alternative Facts TM

"It is critical that there is a credible academic source for the growing and important discipline of alternative facts. This field of study will just keep winning, and we knew that all the best people would want to be on board. There is a real risk in the world today that people might be getting their information about science from actual scientists"

 

 

 

Ouchyfoot
Ouchyfoot's picture
Offline
Last seen: 9 months 1 week ago
Joined: 09/01/2012 - 06:15
Posts: 5089
Location: Canada

I’m out of here. Unsubscribed.

Hoop
Hoop's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 days 22 hours ago
Joined: 12/20/2012 - 05:33
Posts: 1068
Location: Spokane, WA

It’s called etiquette and it doesn’t take a genius to figure out what’s inappropriate. Loading up a thread with 40 megs of pictures in your sig is not good. It’s beyond silly that it had to be pointed out to you.

radioshaq
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 10 hours ago
Joined: 11/06/2015 - 02:26
Posts: 316

i can only count 350kb of total size for the 3 pics in the revised ones that Bort posted.. maybe 40 megs was the previous version?

Bort
Bort's picture
Offline
Last seen: 55 min 53 sec ago
Joined: 06/01/2012 - 17:15
Posts: 8361
Location: Holding the proverbial flashlight

radioshaq wrote:
i can only count 350kb of total size for the 3 pics in the revised ones that Bort posted.. maybe 40 megs was the previous version?

not even close to 40mb before, 4mb maybe
The funny part is that once you have read a thread i have posted in the browser does not typically reload the same pics over and over, they get cached. Also i apologize to those i offended by posting the full pics, thats why i shortened them

The Journal of Alternative Facts TM

"It is critical that there is a credible academic source for the growing and important discipline of alternative facts. This field of study will just keep winning, and we knew that all the best people would want to be on board. There is a real risk in the world today that people might be getting their information about science from actual scientists"

 

 

 

unknown00101
Offline
Last seen: 2 weeks 7 hours ago
Joined: 08/16/2013 - 11:53
Posts: 4344
Location: USA

Can we get some admin intervention please? This is getting ridiculous, now someone made a long line in their signature and it wrecks mobile viewing…..

ImA4Wheelr
Offline
Last seen: 2 months 3 weeks ago
Joined: 02/03/2013 - 14:51
Posts: 7935
Location: SC

Just my personal experience (not trying to speak for others), I find Bort’s signature fun and uplifting. Brightens up pages. Furthest thing from trolling. Might be better to ask Bort with a degree of respect then to command and bully him.

radioshaq
Offline
Last seen: 1 day 10 hours ago
Joined: 11/06/2015 - 02:26
Posts: 316

ImA4Wheelr wrote:
Might be better to ask Bort with a degree of respect then to command and bully him.

Exactly

Pages