Dereelight DBS Aspheric throw figures (with new EZ900 0.9mm x 0.9mm WD pure cool white tint 1.5A 3SM pill)

84 posts / 0 new
Last post

Pages

2100
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 8 months ago
Joined: 05/28/2011 - 10:28
Posts: 4512
Location: SINGAPORE
Dereelight DBS Aspheric throw figures (with new EZ900 0.9mm x 0.9mm WD pure cool white tint 1.5A 3SM pill)

With 2 x 18350 Bestinone.net IMR @ 4.10V, measured 0.756A at the tail

Throw figure @ 45 metres, 42.1 lux.  85,252 cd @ 1m uncorrected figure.   Corrected for 10% (my meter under-reads at least that amount), we get 93.6k cd.

Measurement taken at about 1 minute mark, ambient temperature 29 deg C.  So you could go past 100k in a cold environment, maybe more.  Haven't tried with ice, maybe next time.

Solarforce Masterpiece Pro-1 XR-E R2 ceiling bounce with 2 cells, 22.1 lux.   DBS aspheric is 15.9 lux.  LOL!

So Saabluster and tatjmagic are correct. This thing can throw.

 

PS.  If you are getting this, the important thing is that you need to select the 2 cell pill, ie i got the 3SM and using it with 2 x 18350.  It holds max output much longer, actually over the entire discharge curve.   If you use 1 cell like 1 x 18650, it would just run in max output for what....5-10 mins and then taper down.

 

Edited by: 2100 on 11/25/2011 - 10:54
2100
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 8 months ago
Joined: 05/28/2011 - 10:28
Posts: 4512
Location: SINGAPORE

BTW, it is imperative to measure at 50m.  Even at that range, you have to work a bit to find the PBCP spot.  The hotspot at that range is just about 1.5m.

2100
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 8 months ago
Joined: 05/28/2011 - 10:28
Posts: 4512
Location: SINGAPORE

Crelant 7G5 vs Dereelight DBS Aspheric.  The Crelant outthrows a bit stuff like the Sunwayman T40CS, Catapult etc...

Target, approx 150m.

asd

 

coolperl
Offline
Last seen: 1 year 6 months ago
Joined: 08/04/2011 - 14:28
Posts: 271
Location: Europe

Imagine what would that pill do in Solarforce MPP-1 reflector. The Solarforce is much better host than DBS V3.

ILIKEFLASHLIGHTS
ILIKEFLASHLIGHTS's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 11 months ago
Joined: 08/04/2011 - 23:47
Posts: 5693
Location: southeast MO

Do you have a beam comparison comparing that light to the Crelant 7G5?  That's what I would like to see at say 100yds.

2100
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 8 months ago
Joined: 05/28/2011 - 10:28
Posts: 4512
Location: SINGAPORE

coolperl wrote:

Imagine what would that pill do in Solarforce MPP-1 reflector. The Solarforce is much better host than DBS V3.

I have both the Solarforce MPP-1 (and body tubes in the whole Solarforce lineup) and CL1H V4 and DBS V3 body tubes.  In my opinion the Dereelights are quite a bit better.

Square threads for the Dereelights, not so for Solarforce. 

The MPP-1 head cutting is quite sharp as well...the Dereelight is just a joy to hold. 

I have both Solarforce and Dereelight clips, i like the Dereelight better (not that it matters, coz i don't really like clips anyway  LOL!)

The HA in the Solarforce tends to chip off too.  In fact one local flashaholic was so outraged with Solarforce with the L2P, the thread is both in here and CPF.  Mine has minor chipping too.

The Solarforce S8 is crazy though. No chipping.  It seems that the L2P/L2X do chip.

Body tube thickness, at least from the tail end, is like 2X thicker for the Dereelight than the Solarforce.

Dereelight has no chips in the HA.

Dereelight has double O-rings.

cd520
cd520's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 years 10 months ago
Joined: 07/13/2011 - 17:08
Posts: 387
Location: WV, USA

Nice throw going on there with the DBS however a bit pricey for my blood.

2100
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 8 months ago
Joined: 05/28/2011 - 10:28
Posts: 4512
Location: SINGAPORE

ILIKEFLASHLIGHTS wrote:

Do you have a beam comparison comparing that light to the Crelant 7G5?  That's what I would like to see at say 100yds.

I thought that is what i did for the above beamshot.

2100
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 8 months ago
Joined: 05/28/2011 - 10:28
Posts: 4512
Location: SINGAPORE

cd520 wrote:

Nice throw going on there with the DBS however a bit pricey for my blood.

Aww shucks, forgot to take a picture with the Solarforce MPP-1!   But trust me, it makes the Solarforce MPP-1 look like child's play in terms of intensity.  The hotspot of the DBS Aspheric is actually like 10% larger.

MPP-1 full HA setup would be $60 with registered shipping? 1 mode, so no such thing as PWM.   This is 79.8 w registered shipping. 3 modes, no PWM.  And you can swap it out with a XM-L pill for 50k cd performance and 600 lumens OTF.  (I have the T6 3C, from the CL1H V4, now only 54 bucks shipped)

2100
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 8 months ago
Joined: 05/28/2011 - 10:28
Posts: 4512
Location: SINGAPORE

This thing visibly out-throws my TK70 at a 600m target. Actually i can barely make out the TK70 spot even with binos, but Dereelight DBS no issue at all.  

I think the lux @ 1m only tells part of the story.  Coz the TK70 got just 5% lower figures at the exact same spot which i measured the Dereelight DBS. And mind you i measure at 45-50 metres.  This is because this is an aspheric....the focus is key. 

 

Part of the reason could be that the TK70 throws out a huge cone of light. Hence through the air, the beam is quite visible as it is quite thick.  This lowers the visibility of the hotspot at target.  This phenomenon can be seen here.

DBS aspheric and then TK70  (last one is Sanmak 5200)

cd520
cd520's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 years 10 months ago
Joined: 07/13/2011 - 17:08
Posts: 387
Location: WV, USA

At 100k throw it would stomp the MPP-1 for sure. One light I still lack is a pure thrower, mainly because I really dont have a need for one. It would basically just be a toy for me. However, I wonder what kind of numbers my HID with 55W bulb with the 100W ballast/8.5" reflector would do in the throw category.

ILIKEFLASHLIGHTS
ILIKEFLASHLIGHTS's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 11 months ago
Joined: 08/04/2011 - 23:47
Posts: 5693
Location: southeast MO

2100 wrote:

ILIKEFLASHLIGHTS wrote:

Do you have a beam comparison comparing that light to the Crelant 7G5?  That's what I would like to see at say 100yds.

I thought that is what i did for the above beamshot.

Ok I guess I am lost.  I don't see the Crelant 7G5 shot. 

ILIKEFLASHLIGHTS
ILIKEFLASHLIGHTS's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 11 months ago
Joined: 08/04/2011 - 23:47
Posts: 5693
Location: southeast MO

And one more question.  If this light is such a great thrower, then why is it only about 250 lumens or so?  I guess I don't undertand how it can be brighter than the TK70 as for lux reading at 1 meter.  Please explain if you will. 

2100
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 8 months ago
Joined: 05/28/2011 - 10:28
Posts: 4512
Location: SINGAPORE

cd520 wrote:

At 100k throw it would stomp the MPP-1 for sure. One light I still lack is a pure thrower, mainly because I really dont have a need for one. It would basically just be a toy for me. However, I wonder what kind of numbers my HID with 55W bulb with the 100W ballast/8.5" reflector would do in the throw category.

See my above video, everything is there!  LOL!  Big Smile

2100
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 8 months ago
Joined: 05/28/2011 - 10:28
Posts: 4512
Location: SINGAPORE

ILIKEFLASHLIGHTS wrote:

And one more question.  If this light is such a great thrower, then why is it only about 250 lumens or so?  I guess I don't undertand how it can be brighter than the TK70 as for lux reading at 1 meter.  Please explain if you will. 

If you get 4 DBS V3 aspherics, it would be 1000 lumens and have a hotspot that is only twice in diameter than the original one.  It doesn't take much to reach 2200 lumens, just another 4 more DBS aspherics, but only increase of what 33% in diameter?  (someone do the math pls)

Also, aspherics are a bit different from reflector setups.  As you can see, the hotspot is even a wee wee bit bigger than the Solarforce MPP-1, but lux figure is twice as much. 

In fact on a reflected ceiling bounce, the Solarforce MPP-1 registers 22.1 lux.  The DBS aspheric registers a paltry 15.9 luxSealed   Actually the DBS aspheric is like ~ 160 lumens OTF only.  Thing is, nobody is going to do ceiling bounce or light up a big room with this.  This is for outdoors use only.

Short arcs can be in the 2000 lumens range, but do 12 million cd and throw for several miles.

Hikelite
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 5 days ago
Joined: 07/13/2011 - 16:18
Posts: 3888
Location: Honeyland

ILIKEFLASHLIGHTS wrote:

2100 wrote:

ILIKEFLASHLIGHTS wrote:

Do you have a beam comparison comparing that light to the Crelant 7G5?  That's what I would like to see at say 100yds.

I thought that is what i did for the above beamshot.

Ok I guess I am lost.  I don't see the Crelant 7G5 shot. 

It's above the DBS. You can't really see it because it's too much ambient light.

However this BDS is an aspheric with an XR-E R2 (EZ900 die) and of course the 7G5 is no match for it.

7G5 is slightly superior compared to all other XM-L throwers.

2100
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 8 months ago
Joined: 05/28/2011 - 10:28
Posts: 4512
Location: SINGAPORE

Hikelite wrote:

7G5 is slightly superior compared to all other XM-L throwers.

As you can see, the hotspot of the 800 lumens OTF Crelant 7G5 isn't that much bigger than the 160 lumens OTF of the DBS aspheric. 

My 65W Ebay metal tube HID flashlight smokes this though (and so will the 75W and 85W versions).

 

Hikelite
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 5 days ago
Joined: 07/13/2011 - 16:18
Posts: 3888
Location: Honeyland

2100 wrote:

Hikelite wrote:

7G5 is slightly superior compared to all other XM-L throwers.

As you can see, the hotspot of the 800 lumens OTF Crelant 7G5 isn't that much bigger than the 160 lumens OTF of the DBS aspheric. 

My 65W Ebay metal tube HID flashlight smokes this though (and so will the 75W and 85W versions).

 

This is what I said:

Hikelite wrote:

It's above the DBS. You can't really see it because it's too much ambient light.

However this BDS is an aspheric with an XR-E R2 (EZ900 die) and of course the 7G5 is no match for it.

7G5 is slightly superior compared to all other XM-L throwers.

2100
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 8 months ago
Joined: 05/28/2011 - 10:28
Posts: 4512
Location: SINGAPORE

Hikelite wrote:

This is what I said:

You can see the corona lighting up some parts beside the Crelant 7G5 hotspot.  Also there is the spill light, but of course for such comparisons it does nothing.

ILIKEFLASHLIGHTS
ILIKEFLASHLIGHTS's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 11 months ago
Joined: 08/04/2011 - 23:47
Posts: 5693
Location: southeast MO

Ok so what you guys are telling me is who needs a Crelant 7G5!  Laughing

Hikelite
Offline
Last seen: 4 months 5 days ago
Joined: 07/13/2011 - 16:18
Posts: 3888
Location: Honeyland

ILIKEFLASHLIGHTS wrote:

Ok so what you guys are telling me is who needs a Crelant 7G5!  Laughing

Nothing to do with Crelant 7G5, add there all the xm-l throwers you know. Smile

2100
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 8 months ago
Joined: 05/28/2011 - 10:28
Posts: 4512
Location: SINGAPORE

ILIKEFLASHLIGHTS wrote:

Ok so what you guys are telling me is who needs a Crelant 7G5!  Laughing

Not really, that one is one sexy light as well. 

Who needs 60 Solarforces as well anyway....  (I think it's old4570?)

mizjif
mizjif's picture
Offline
Last seen: 7 hours 35 min ago
Joined: 09/23/2010 - 03:13
Posts: 1980
Location: Winnipeg, MB, Canada

Shoot. I think that this thread has convinced me that I need one. I have yet to get a good aspheric thrower so I may as well pull the trigger (ohhh my college student bank account :()

yavi
Offline
Last seen: 5 months 3 days ago
Joined: 09/01/2011 - 12:24
Posts: 720
Location: Spain

Did you also compare the DBS with XM-L to the crelant?

I assume it will throw less, but would be interesting to know by how much.

2100
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 8 months ago
Joined: 05/28/2011 - 10:28
Posts: 4512
Location: SINGAPORE

yavi wrote:

Did you also compare the DBS with XM-L to the crelant?

I assume it will throw less, but would be interesting to know by how much.

Not really....well by figures they are pretty much the same on the meter actually.   (DBS with T6 3C pill)

But remember, the Crelant is a 63mm front diameter bezel, the DBS is a 55mm.

gcbryan
Offline
Last seen: 5 months 3 days ago
Joined: 05/07/2010 - 20:42
Posts: 2571
Location: Seattle,WA
ILIKEFLASHLIGHTS wrote:

And one more question.  If this light is such a great thrower, then why is it only about 250 lumens or so?  I guess I don't undertand how it can be brighter than the TK70 as for lux reading at 1 meter.  Please explain if you will. 

The Fenix TK70 is 3 XM-L's right? The XM-L emitter has a surface brightness that is less than a XR-E. So having 3 XM-L's doesn't make the emitter surface any brighter.

Those 3 XM-L's don't hit the same spot. They make the spot larger. Throw is about lux and not lumens. The XM-L's put out a larger wall of light but in any one spot the XR-E is brighter.

Take any of your XR-E lights that are driven at around 1A and take any of your XM-L lights that are driven close to 3A and shine them at a wall.

You will see that the center of the hotspot of the XR-E light is brighter than the center of the XM-L beam. The XM-L puts out more light (lumens) but the brightest part of the XR-E beam is brighter.

The brightest part of the beam controls throw because that's all that's left at that point.
gcbryan
Offline
Last seen: 5 months 3 days ago
Joined: 05/07/2010 - 20:42
Posts: 2571
Location: Seattle,WA
2100, which pill choice is the one for 1 mode and for one or two 18650's? Does the light come with an extension tube or is that separate?

Just to be clear...you can go for a two 18650 pill and still sometimes use it with only one 18650...right?
2100
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 8 months ago
Joined: 05/28/2011 - 10:28
Posts: 4512
Location: SINGAPORE

gcbryan wrote:
2100, which pill choice is the one for 1 mode and for one or two 18650's? Does the light come with an extension tube or is that separate?

Just to be clear...you can go for a two 18650 pill and still sometimes use it with only one 18650...right?

For 1 single mode in max output (ie "tactical usage") and be able to use 2 cells (2 x 18350/16340/18650) it would be 1SM.  Pls confirm with Alan of Dereelight.

The extension is EXT650, that makes it able to use 2 x 18650.  It is usd12 additional, and is hard anodized.

 

With a 3SM multi voltage pill....and using a 4.08V TF Flames, i got 7.8 lux reflected.

With 2 x 18350, i got 9.7 lux reflected.   So with a single 18650 it is still pretty bright.

FlashIight
FlashIight's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 months 3 days ago
Joined: 11/24/2011 - 20:36
Posts: 185
Location: Ontario, Canada

2100 wrote:

For 1 single mode in max output (ie "tactical usage") and be able to use 2 cells (2 x 18350/16340/18650) it would be 1SM.  Pls confirm with Alan of Dereelight.

The extension is EXT650, that makes it able to use 2 x 18650.  It is usd12 additional, and is hard anodized.

 

With a 3SM multi voltage pill....and using a 4.08V TF Flames, i got 7.8 lux reflected.

With 2 x 18350, i got 9.7 lux reflected.   So with a single 18650 it is still pretty bright.

Hi 2100,

The 1SD and 3SD pills are optimized for usage with single cells, which is what I want. With the LED driven at 1.2 A, how much of a difference would

there be in terms of lux? For example, if you're getting 93k lux at 1 meter right now with 2 18350 IMRs, how much would you expect to get with 1 18650

at 1.2A as opposed to 1.5 A?

Thanks in advance!

2100
Offline
Last seen: 2 years 8 months ago
Joined: 05/28/2011 - 10:28
Posts: 4512
Location: SINGAPORE

You'd not want the 1.2A pill, the last one i got was about 60k.   Also due to bigger die.    This is 90k.  That's not a minor/invisible difference.

The single cell pill, after stabilising for heat, would slowly lower in output in just minutes albeit very slowly.  You need to ask yourself whether you want to pay 80 bucks for this kind of performance?  Makes no sense.  I already made that mistake, luckily the new smaller die came along (not expensive also) so that mistake can be written off.

Just get the BIO IMRs, they are usable for many other stuff.  Safe too, they are no Li Co. On this light you still get like 80 minutes of run time.  Seriously i don't see why people wanna get 2 x 18650, this is not a XM-L flashlight like the Sunwayman T40CS in which the tail draw is 1.5A.

FlashIight
FlashIight's picture
Offline
Last seen: 8 months 3 days ago
Joined: 11/24/2011 - 20:36
Posts: 185
Location: Ontario, Canada

2100 wrote:

You'd not want the 1.2A pill, the last one i got was about 60k.   Also due to bigger die.    This is 90k.  That's not a minor/invisible difference.

The single cell pill, after stabilising for heat, would slowly lower in output in just minutes albeit very slowly.  You need to ask yourself whether you want to pay 80 bucks for this kind of performance?  Makes no sense.  I already made that mistake, luckily the new smaller die came along (not expensive also) so that mistake can be written off.

Just get the BIO IMRs, they are usable for many other stuff.  Safe too, they are no Li Co. On this light you still get like 80 minutes of run time.  Seriously i don't see why people wanna get 2 x 18650, this is not a XM-L flashlight like the Sunwayman T40CS in which the tail draw is 1.5A.

Is lux like lumens? For example, do you need four times the lux for the spot to appear twice as bright to the eyes?

Oh, I didn't realize that IMRs used a safe chemistry! That's fantastic! I'd be comfortable experimenting with some multi-cell lights using these batteries.

If I got some, I would probably go with AW IMRs from lighthound, since I've heard that website provides fantastic service.

However, there is a note stating that IMRs have a lower internal resistance, and thus, if left to charge in a standard charger, may surpass the regular 4.2 Volts. I don't own a multimeter to test batteries...do you think this would be a major issue/safety concern? I guess that I will eventually need to invest in a quality multimeter...but not yet. 

Pages