Wrist watches. Post pics, if you EDC one!

1505 posts / 0 new
Last post
Sillen
Sillen's picture
Online
Last seen: 13 min 35 sec ago
Joined: 08/01/2018 - 06:39
Posts: 665
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Rexlion wrote:
Sillen wrote:
Slightly off topic, … Do people still tap their wrist when they ask you for the time?
Not sure how it is in your country, but over here I was taught (some decades ago) that if a guy does that to another guy (“Do you have the time?”), he’s propositioning for an encounter. Not sure if the practice is still the same nowadays though; it’s been a long time since I’ve been asked.

Are you takin the piss??!? Never heard of that living in Europe and Australia. Blushing Think of all the lost opportunities if I was that way inclined.

Pete7874 wrote:
Sillen wrote:

Slightly off topic, I feel like people don’t notice when you sneak a quick peak at a wrist watch these days whereas you get looks if you glance at your phone.

There is something to it, yeah. Although, when people look at their phones, you don’t know if it’s to check time or to check some notifications/alerts.

But yeah, I much prefer looking at my wrist than pulling the phone out of my pocket to check time.

Quote:
Do people still tap their wrist when they ask you for the time?
I honestly can’t remember the last time someone has asked me for the time.

I can’t remember either but that’s more ‘cause of many, many COVID lockdown days in Melbourne. Also maybe I’m not ridiculously good looking, see above.

NorthernHarrier
NorthernHarrier's picture
Offline
Last seen: 2 hours 10 min ago
Joined: 11/30/2018 - 12:05
Posts: 562
Location: Eastern USA
Sillen wrote:
Rexlion wrote:
Sillen wrote:
Slightly off topic, … Do people still tap their wrist when they ask you for the time?
Not sure how it is in your country, but over here I was taught (some decades ago) that if a guy does that to another guy (“Do you have the time?”), he’s propositioning for an encounter. Not sure if the practice is still the same nowadays though; it’s been a long time since I’ve been asked.

Are you takin the piss??!? Never heard of that living in Europe and Australia. Blushing Think of all the lost opportunities if I was that way inclined.
[

I’ve also never heard that. I’ve lived in the USA my entire life (60 years), and every person who asked me for the time was clearly interested in knowing the correct time, and nothing else.

"However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light." - Stanley Kubrick

wle
wle's picture
Offline
Last seen: 18 hours 56 min ago
Joined: 01/07/2015 - 13:49
Posts: 2463
Location: atlanta ga
NorthernHarrier wrote:
Sillen wrote:
Rexlion wrote:
Sillen wrote:
Slightly off topic, … Do people still tap their wrist when they ask you for the time?
Not sure how it is in your country, but over here I was taught (some decades ago) that if a guy does that to another guy (“Do you have the time?”), he’s propositioning for an encounter. Not sure if the practice is still the same nowadays though; it’s been a long time since I’ve been asked.

Are you takin the piss??!? Never heard of that living in Europe and Australia. Blushing Think of all the lost opportunities if I was that way inclined.
[

I’ve also never heard that. I’ve lived in the USA my entire life (60 years), and every person who asked me for the time was clearly interested in knowing the correct time, and nothing else.

yeah i never heard that one

[i also never really understood ‘taking the piss’ til recently it means ‘are you kidding me?’ right?]

wle

wle

"You never have the wind with you - it's either against you, or you're having a good day."
    Daniel Behrman, "The Man Who Loved Bicycles".
It never gets easy, you just go faster.   
-Greg Lemond.
       ,ø¤º°`°º¤ø¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø¸,ø¤º°`°º¤ø¸

Sillen
Sillen's picture
Online
Last seen: 13 min 35 sec ago
Joined: 08/01/2018 - 06:39
Posts: 665
Location: Melbourne, Australia

wle wrote:

[i also never really understood ‘taking the piss’ til recently it means ‘are you kidding me?’ right?]

wle

wle

yes, are you kidding me. One I learned a couple of years ago that means the same thing was a line from UK TV show, “Are you having a laugh?”

Pages